Spies like us: The MvC3 C.Viper Team/Matchup Discussion Thread

Since I feel like my original post wasnt specific enough, this thread is not only to discuss vipers teams, but also to discuss VIPERS MATCH UPS AGAINST OTHER CHARACTERS ON POINT. Threads that are just team discussion quickly dissolve into people posting “HEY MY TEAM IS VIPER/___/___ IS IT GOOD?” and dont really contribute anything, so lets get that match up talk going.

"General Viper Tips

[details=Spoiler]
-Typical MvC2 style of play of looking for an opening to Tridash :df: and overhead with :s: still applies to Viper. Her tridash is pretty fast, and landing special on a standing/crouching opponent = full combo
-Viper’s cr.:l: is not a low, so her cr.:m: is better suited for low pokes, especially because it has better range
-If you catch anyone in a blockstring, go ahead and end the string in a Seismo, then jumpcancel xx dash accordingly
-Space enemies at mid range with a seismo xx dash in, which in a lot of cases is a better offense than a naked tridash
-Viper is dangerous as all hell in the air, since not only is she mobile as crap, but she can full combo off of either a throw (seismo xx combo) or a hit (ex burn kick). You definitely want to get air to air against any foe (just not right below them)
-Keep away characters fall victim to :h: seismos, and if you can sjc it you can land 2 for good damage before they reset out. Or, you can take the opportunity to dash in and close distance. Worst case scenario if you cant get in, you have the option to blow a meter on Ex. Thunder knuckle
-Burnkick :l: and :m: are punishable on block, so don’t use them in pressure strings. Instead, feint the burnkick and do an overhead :l: or :h: and combo accordingly if they block or get hit.[/details]

MATCHUPS/TIPS BY CHARACTER

Akuma

Spoiler

coming soon

Amaterasu

Spoiler

coming soon

Arthur

Spoiler

coming soon

C.Viper

Spoiler

May the better Viper win?

Captain America

Spoiler

coming soon

Chris Redfield

Spoiler

coming soon

Chun Li

Spoiler

coming soon

Dante

Spoiler

coming soon

Deadpool

Spoiler

coming soon

Dormammu

Spoiler

coming soon

Dr Doom

Spoiler

coming soon

Felicia

Spoiler

coming soon

Haggar

Spoiler

coming soon

Hsien-Ko

[details=Spoiler]
-If they try to abuse super armor assist, just Snap her in. Itll wear off.
-Emergency Combo pendelum on reaction for free.
-Seismos ruin her spacing game[/details]

Hulk

[details=Spoiler]
-Hulk can do nothing against Seismos. Its bad. Just watch out when he has meter, and watch out for his assists. [/details]

Iron Man

Spoiler

coming soon

Jill Valentine

Spoiler

coming soon

M.O.D.O.K.

Spoiler

coming soon

Magneto

Spoiler

coming soon

Morrigan

Spoiler

coming soon

Phoenix

[details=Spoiler]
-Dear god snap her in if your opponent is building meter for it. People are always reluctant to be offensive with phoenix without 5 bars, so take this opportunity to crack her defenses.
-Super jump and ex burn kick runaway fireballs, since EX burn kick goes through some projectiles.[/details]

Ryu

[details=Spoiler]
-Hadouken Spam HURTS. Dont get hit by them.
-Always be careful with your assists when ryu has meter
-Dont get hit by a ryu jump in when he has 3 bars. You WILL get 100%ed
-On approach, just avoid hadoukens. Crossing him up with air/tridashes makes him antiairing with SRK much harder.[/details]

Sentinel

[details=Spoiler]
-Ex Tk and Emergency combination can be used to punish pretty much all sentinel pokes at mid range.
-Ex TK has more damage, since you can combo out of it and go for a potential reset, but emergency combo is safer
-Seismo xx tridash xx overhead is not exactly prefered since Sent can just launcher your jump in anyway
-Chain seismos wins against sentinel, since its damage is higher on trade and its faster to start up.
-DO NOT GET HIT
-Match up is probably in sentinels favor, since he can one shot you and it takes you quite a bit more effort and combos to kill him (unless you xfactor)
-Burnkick feints xx normals is fast as hell on sent since hes fat.
-For gods sake, if he xfactors and tries to chip you out, either jump and spam feints or xfactor and turtle.
-Blocking sentinel is not hard guys.
-DO NOT GET HIT!!!
-J. :h: is an instant overhead against Sent. Whats even better is that if he blocks it, you can cross him up with burnkick right after. use an assist like ammy to lock him down and then combo after the overhead/burnkick with the assist’s help[/details]

She-Hulk

[details=Spoiler]
-She hulk cant get through seismo spacing on her own, but watch out for her assists[/details]

Shuma Gorath

Spoiler

coming soon

Spencer

Spoiler

coming soon

Spider-man

Spoiler

coming soon

Storm

Spoiler

coming soon

Super Skrull

Spoiler

coming soon

Taskmaster

[details=Spoiler]
-Oh man is this a toughy for viper. Getting in on arrow keepaway requires very specific movement, and taskmasters normals all outrange vipers so you gotta be careful with with pokes
-Use seismos to try and get closer. Hopefully you have a projectile assist for full screen advances
-DO NOT USE EX THUNDERKNUCKLE. This will most likely get blocked unless the Taskmaster is spamming senselessly, which will result in you either eating a combo or having to burn another bar to ex seismo out of it.
-You can air throw after blocked spidey swing at most ranges. Abuse that for free combos.[/details]

Thor

[details=Spoiler]
-Everything thor does is too slow to work effectively against seismos or trijumps
-Just wary so you dont get XF 100%ed during block stun. Im not sure but I think you MAY be able to use Emergency combination against regular command throws, but it definitely wont work againt hyper throw[/details]

Trish

[details=Spoiler]
-Trish is tough to get in on. A lot of her game can involve super jump air control, with hopscotch trap below. She is often too high in the air for seismos, so dont use them unless shes in normal jump height.
-Her range> your range so dont try to just trijump in, since she can probably just :h: xx :s: you for free (you cant punish it)
-Hard match up for viper in general I think, but not hard once you get it.[/details]

Tron Bonne

Spoiler

coming soon

Viewtiful Joe

[details=Spoiler]
-VJ is a little more difficult to box loop because hes small, so you may want to shorten it up into another combo, which may need you to use ex burn kick.
-Voomerang spam can just be seismod, since he has to do it at normal jump height to get them onscreen at a decent rate.[/details]

Wesker

Spoiler

-Man screw wesker. Hes tough to outrange since his gun is just as fast as seismo and much easier motion to perform.
-His normals are pretty safe, so dont try to punish them with stupid stuff
-Make sure you keep track of his distance away from you. It helps defend against his teleports, which will otherwise rape you sideways.

Wolverine

Spoiler

coming soon

X-23

Spoiler

coming soon

Zero

Spoiler

coming soon

guess i’ll reserve my spot just in case, i have a team thought out but i want to actually play with it before making educated assumptions.

I’ll reserve my spot here as well.

Played a bit of Viper last night. My team for now is Viper (Burning Kick)/Ryu (Tatsu)/Whoever, (I used Skrull for most of the night with mixed success). I don’t recommend either character for their assists if Viper is going to be your main but Ryu/Akuma I find to be a good compliment to my style. I’m going to be experimenting with diff teams as I go and I’ll try to contribute as much as I can to this thread. I also don’t recommend Viper for just her assist at all, not that they’re bad, they just don’t contribute more than other assists. Seismo is a fine OTG assist, Burning Kick has a big one-time hitbox and uppercut thing might be good.

My take on Viper is that you Rushdown normal characters and use your Seismo to beat out ranged-only teams (Arthur hates Seismo) because Seismo into JC multi direction airdash can get in easily on slower projectile users in a pretty straightforward manner. Theorycrafting on that would mean that a good ranged beam/gun assist would be great just to push back to fullscreen and cockblock things like Dante/Trish assists which can really shut Viper up, along with anything meaty, close-range and space-taking.

I think Viper is going to rise up on the usage list due to her ability to answer Sentinel pretty well, she can pretty much lock him out 1v1 and doesn’t mind fighting against him as an assist. Viper however hates beam users like Doom/Iron Man/Magneto since she needs to travel a lot in the horizontal space to be effective. Knowing your matchups and what you can punish is going to be pretty crucial to being successful. That said I think Magneto does a bit of the same thing but better as a raw rushdown, Viper has “more” mixups but Magneto has double the priority on everything, and if you played MvC2 you know that Mag’s up/down and cross-up shenanigans are good enough and beam is a great addition to any team.

Ed: Haven’t hammered down my combos, but so far my BNBs:

No Meter Cost: Light Med Strong Launcher SJC Med Med Strong Launcher (Bounce) Seismo jc forward dash Strong xx Strong Burning Kick. This is the basic, Tatsunoko style air combo and I’m sure you can work in a few more hits as you improve.

Meter: Light Med Strong Launcher SJC Med Med Strong JC Med Med Strong Launcher (Bounce) qcb Super
Again, B&B and more hits are available. This does about 500k?
These are pretty basic combos used by most characters. Viper has a lot of specialty combos involving her EX moves.

Fast Seismo Reset
Any time you ground someone, you can Light/Med Seismo into JC Dash Launcher causing them to hit the ground very quickly and immediatly tech, and you land right in front of them for an easy grab. You can basically loop this against awful opponents because grab nets you a free seismo, but obviously mixups are there.

I’ve only been playing the game for a day but I agree that Viper and Trish go well together. That said, its Trish that should be the point character ahead of Viper. Round Harvest provides Viper a free switch in and a free ‘get in’ on the opponent. Currently using Trish (Low Voltage)/Viper(Uppercut)/Dormammu(Dark Hole) which is not at all who I thought I’d be using but they are all really fun to use.

I dont know if Id say round harvest gives viper a FREE dhc in. Its still punishable I think by beam supers even if you DHC in. But this is why trish has traps, so you can just swap back in at will.

Using Trish on point is something Im considering after digging in the game for a bit. My original intention was to use Viper to build meter so Trish could chip them out, but Trish’s non hyper combo means of chipping are pretty reliable on their own. I think that meter could be better spent giving Viper some damage.

Floating bomb DHC into Viper is something Im considering, since its probably safer than Trish, plus Dorms assists definitely help viper as does his meter building/chipping skills.

As far as usability goes, Viper does seem to be a no brainer good choice. I think with time she will have the tools to handle any kind of playstyle, with seismos and 8 way dash. Her resets are pretty solid too. Also, seismo chains ARE AMAZING AT EVERYTHING if you can actually do them. They are so fast, do good damage/chip, and cover up so much of the screen (since you can do them on whiff) that imo its a better keep away move than dorms purification ._.

So far, i think the only things that REALLY hurt her is her meh damage without meter and her TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DHC options.

likewise I’ll be using trish/viper with trish as the lead for the most part
low voltage seems like the assist to use for trish, but as viper I liked the seismicH because trish really benefits from an otg assist
and I never really thought thunderK would be needed because of trish’s traps can AA or are you using that assist as a gtfo ?

is the arthur thing really true, I just ask because in the marn nerdYosh ft10 from what I saw arthur had no problems with viper, I may need to watch again though

heres a good combo meterless that does almost 550k on most chars
j.s, L M H S M M H dbl jump M M H S seismo M M H burn kick ex or regular and you can do a super after seismo for more damage

Marn didn’t play Viper in those matches.

Completely free. Round Harvest and then hold the switch out right after the activation. The Surf board will still be hitting the opponent for 2-3 seconds and Viper can come in and start whatever you want.

I’ve been using Thunderknuckle as a GTFO but its somewhat ghetto. I also teleport with Dorm afterwards to apply pressure. Honestly, none of Viper’s assists are really jumping out at me.

I use burning kick just to compliment rushdown strings with hi-lo mixups, but I think seismo is the best assist to help the team, if only because it takes up the most space. I think she’s more suited to lead.

viper synergy

First off viper is awesome! Obviously she is a rushdown/combo nightmare…but i won’t talk about any of her combos for now, becuase i think its more important to find a proper team that magnifies her strengths and shores up her weaknesses. So i think a thread like this is paramount to vipers full development.

Right now im running Wesker(samurai edge) on point, Viper(burn kicks), Dante(jam session). My goal with this team is to limit the options of opponents and counter my opponents strategy. I feel this team can play in any style. If opponent uses a zoning/projectile strategy then i rushdown, if they rush down then i zone, if they rely heavily on assists then i bait and counter with full screen stuff…etc

So far viper and wesker have good synergy. Once either get in there are multiple ways to mixup opponents with crossups, psuedo-unblockables and unblockables…where any hit will lead to awesome damage.

Some setups…
With wesker on point using Viper BK’s do c.L + assist, c.M, c.H, S, into combo. With this setup the BK’s hit high just after the c.H and then the S launches them. Alternatively if u do c.L + assist, c.M, H(two hits), df.H, into combo/hyper the block pattern gets reversed. Using this setup forces the opponent to block high(BK) then low(sam. edge). Both setups are psuedo-unblockable, but i am sure with the right timing it could be possible to get a true unblockable. Using H + assist in bockstrings is also very useful for me. Try blockstring, H(two hits) + assist, df.H xx into H or L teleport is also difficult to block especially in corner. Alternately H(one hit) + assist, df.H xx H teleport, land c.L,…combo. more to come. next i’ll share some semi-unblockable setups with viper on point using wesker’s sam.edge assist

Viper as an assist is alright BK assist adds alot of versitility to a blocking game. However Viper is a point character and to play a balanced team with her you need a point character with an assist.

Viper, Storm and Viper, Dante are really solid. Can setup UB’s with both and Storm is a massive battery.

Can you use Viper as your 3rd assist or your last resort?

Chocolate, in short, you can but its not really good. With 2 characters its fairly easy to keep viper out, much more so than some really strong rushdowners like X23, Magneto, etc. Plus spamming her assist all the time is a bit silly? She’s better on point.

Yes, If viper is snapped back for either storm or dante or you aerial exchange out for meter viper’s BK assist is good for both storm and dante. It makes a stupid over head for people to block used sparringly and if the over head hits you can just JC with dante into fierce pinwheel for damage same with storm. Viper’s assist is good for both and her as a point character is good aswell. as for getting in both dante and storm can get in fine alone so it’s not a big deal.

Right now I’m using Viper as my point character with seismo assist, followed by dante(jam session)/trish(peekaboo), and storm(whirlwind). Dante and Trish are mainly for keeping ppl out who try to rush me down and Storm is for when I’m fighting someone playing keep away with a fast beam cause storm’s whirlwind beats out a lot of shit. I usually switch to Dante or Trish when I get locked out with viper, cause Dante gets in free with his teleport and Trish has a solid keep away game. Also I love how viper can go toe to toe with sentinal.

right now my second team is c.viper on point/dante on jam session/ and sentinel on force/ wit sentinel he uses sentinel force to opponents in place and wit dante’s jam session workin like captin commando in mvc2 viper can lock down matches

I’m just beginning in this game, but have been going Viper, Trish, Chris. I’ve been using TK, Peakaboo, and machine gun. I’m not quite sure what assist is best for Viper, but TK seems to fill a nice spot when people try to jump in on Trish or Chris. Any advice would be awesome.