Spider-Man, The Amazing Thread

Hmmm. When did Spidey go up against the planet eater exactly? Try as I might, I just can’t remember it. Though seeing as how Spidey has fought practically ever bad guy in the Marvel universe, I’m sure he’s taken on one of the FF’s greatest foes.

That’s one thing I love about Spidey, he’s able to hold his own, take down, or survive in fights against mega powerful enemies or when he’s outnumbered. Take Secret Wars #3 for instance. Spidey took on 6-7 memebers of the X-Men all at once. A lesser writer would have shown Spidey getting his stuff wrecked, but Jim Shooter knew how it should go down. Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Nightcraler, Wolverine, Coloasus all ended up looking like scrubs when Spidey was all over the place. ALL SKILL, BABY!

golden oldie…

I think Mark Bagley is the best modern day Spider-Man artist. Characterization and storytelling is among the best in the business and the way he draws Peter Parker is just as good, if not better then the way he draws Spider-man.

As for writers… I thought JMS had his share of ups and downs (more ups IMO). Gwen Stacy/Norman osborn love children, The Other were some of the things I’d like to forget. But the first Morlun arc, plus the arc where the New Avengers guest-starred was pretty good I found.

You wanted to see Aunt May Vs. Galactus?

Our lives are not complete until we have read that comic.

Yeah whole lot of great Spider-Man artists so it’s hard to decide who is the best. McFarlane back in the day (loved the huge eyes even though he has a strange definition of the term anatomy lol), John Romita Jr. and senior, Bagely, Arthur Adams drew a mean one back in the Longshot mini, Nuack, Weringo RIP and many more but I’ll give it to Ditko by default since he created the character lol! His work had such a great look back then, don’t think there will be another.

One of the cool things about Ditko is he had no idea how kids dressed. No teenager has ever dressed the way he drew them, not then, not now, not ever. :rofl: This isn’t a knock, it’s one of the cool things about Ditko. :cool:

He also had his own personal map of his version of New York city that he used for his comics, of course no one noticed this at the time lol! Ditko rules! :lovin:

The way I like to see Spidey is with his eyes either McFarlane big or live action movie big, I hate him with small eyes. I’m also not a fan of the Larsen style where they make the eyes on his costume blink, squint and what not. I know it’s creative license and doesn’t happen, at least I think it doesn’t really happen unless some of these artists are going by some unstable molecule theory… I guess it’s like the squiggly lines above his head when his Spider Sense tingles and every time Ditko showed Peter Parker’s face to be Spider-Man, doesn’t really happen and it is just an effect but still. There are other ways to express what he’s feeling via body language and some of the best eye expressions happen when he tilts his head a certain way, the eyes are exaggerated a bit in some of those poses but I prefer that to him winking at somebody…

I also love seeing Spider-Man those web wings under his arms, and the web sack he used to carry on his back! I guess the web wings are gone along with his web backpack, hmm I could do without the backpack but I still miss the wings… It bugged me with all of this Back in Black stuff how no one shaded the black suit blue like they did back in the old days, but ah well…

Finished reading the first Spider-Man Annual. Didn’t read it before because I only read a lot of Ditko’s regular issues, never the Annuals. Wow that was great! Every time he turned a corner he ran into another Marvel super hero! I think that’s what NY would really be like in the Marvel-verse. Way too many heroes for Spider-Man to be the only one to show up with the Green Goblin is attacking the city, it’s like these heroes say “Hey that’s one of Spidey’s guys!” and go bowling or something. :rofl:

Spider-Man also lost his powers because he doubted himself, just like the second movie. I though him losing his powers that way was just a movie thing, I never thought it happened in a comic before. :lovin:

The story was with him taking on the first incarnation of the Sinister Six. Only thing that was goofy at the end was Sandman tossed in a jail cell with the others man you know he could get out at any time unless they put him in The Vault or something. It’s like when I saw Darkwing Duck toss a net over the Liquidater to catch the villains I was like “OH COME ON…” :rofl: Though yeah still a classic, and there was a one page spread for every Spidey villain he fought! :tup:

In the back of the Annual they explained a lot of Spider-Man’s powers. Whoa didn’t know he could turn his webbing into liquid! Then again he did do that in the first time in this Annual so I guess this is when they thought of it! And OG Spider-Man’s sense was broken. He could use it to see in the dark by sensing his way around things. In newer stories when they gave him more powers, they gave him the power to see in the dark and later in Sensational I believe he busted out a flashlight! Ah you just gotta laugh… :lol:

In last week’s Spider-Man / Red Sonja, there was a two page spread where Spider-Man remembered stuff he experienced with Mary Jane. There was their wedding, the upside down kiss in the rain, hanging in the park on a giant web, driving away with MJ on his back on his electric scooter… Wait a minute except for the wedding everything else was from the first and third Spider-Man movies! :looney: Though yeah I guess hardcore Red Sonja fans would be more familiar with the movies… Fun crossover so far. This is the second time he’s come across Red Sonja and the third time he’s faced Kulan Garth since Marvel had the Red Sonja license before, so this one is less crossover-y than usual. :tup:

McFarlane’s Spider-man was pretty good. I prefer a more clean-cut art style, but I have to say that I’m still impressed.

However; McFarlane’s Peter Parker was atrocious. He looked like Bilbo Baggins.

I actually ment Spidey vs. Galactus, but sure, why not? Linky no worky:sad:

sano, you just now read, ASM Annual #1? Dang, son, I thought you’d read that ages ago. :rofl: Anyway, good stuff, man. IMO its one of the best Spidey stories out there. Frist time Spidey ever lost his powers and the first appearence of The Sinister Six. Oh and those splash pages were great. You should check out ASM Annual #2 if you haven’t. What Spidey says to Dr. Strange when they part ways is freaking hilarious! The same line was even used in Spider-Man: The Animated Series when Dr. Strange guess stared on ep 1 of Season 3. :rofl:

It shames me to admit this, but I’ve never read the ASM story Nothing Can Stop The Jurrgernaunt. I think it takes place in ASM #229-230. From what I’ve heard its a fantastic story of Spidey trying desperately to keep Juggy from getting to Madam Web. Gotta love those stories where Spidey fights villains that are sooooo high above his weight class. I think later in DeFalco’s first ASM run Spidey kicked the crap outta Firelord. :rofl:

Oh yeah I have the issue where he beat up Firelord, that’s around the time I started collecting Spidey. Classic! :tup:

This should work. http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/03/18/aunt-may-vs-galactus/

I just got around to reading Amazing #33. Pretty nice for a '60s comic. Guess it was pretty fresh when it came out.

I remember I had this one Ren & Stimpy comic when I was a kid where Spidey and Powdered Toastman had a team-up. In that adventure, Spidey got trapped beneath a bunch of stuff, too, and had to summon up mental images of Uncle Ben, Aunt May, Mary Jane, his neighbors, and his mailman before he finally gathered the inner strength to lift the massive weight that was trapping him. I think that might’ve been my first exposure to the Amazing #33 phenomenon. It was either that Powdered Toastman team-up or that one issue of Amazing with the hologram on it (Spidey vs. Lizard).

I also read that Juggernaut story from Amazing #s 229-230 fairly recently. Romita Jr. penciled that one, and it’s nice to see how much his work has improved since those days. The story was only okay. Maybe after hearing all the hype about it, I expected it to cure cancer, but it was still entertaining. Roger Stern wrote that, so it’s got that old-school feel to it, but it’s still readable even though I didn’t think the ending was very satisfying.

It was still a heckuva lot better than that one Spidey/X-Force team-up crossover by McFarlane and Liefeld, though.

I just got the whole Mary Jane loves Spider-man. It was great, funny thing on that teen drama.

That’s something else I need to pick up. Sean McKeever is a great writer. Loved how he had Liz tell MJ when refering to Gwen “Wouldn’t you like to dump her off a bridge?” :rofl:

If you guys haven’t picked up the up the up Spider-Family #1-3, I recommend picking up the Back In Black Digest. It has Spider-Family 1-3 with. The first two issues are written by Sean McKeever. Issue 2 has a very good Venom story where Brock isn’t after Peter. Issue 3 is written by Paul Tobin. The story features Spidey with the Fantastic Four. It’s a funny story that’s reminscient of some of the early Lee/Ditko stories. The Back In Black Digest is only $8.99. Pick it up. This one’s good.

I’m curious, did anyone enjoy Spider-Man : Reign? There was quite a bit of hype for it, and then it sort of died out. I thought it was a beautiful mini-series, Kaare Andrews did a wonderful job. Seeing Spider-Man in that Dark Knight Returns-esque story was quite a change of pace. Its probably one of the darkest, but most inspirational Spidey stories I’ve ever read. In fact, I’m not afraid to admit I got a little emotional while reading it. I thought the similiarities of the art to that in “The Dark Knight Returns” was a bit too much, but obviously, this was Andrews’ homage to Frank Miller.

I enjoyed it alot

I thought the first issue to Reign was one of the best single issues of Spider-Man I had read in a long time. The rest of it was still really good to me, but I think that first issue set the bar so high that there was no way I could reasonably expect the remaining issues to measure up. I’ll probably reread it one of these days and see how it feels. Artwork was gorgeous, pacing was great. I think it hedges a little too closely to DKR in terms of conceit and tone, and in the end I didn’t really see why Andrews worked so hard on maintaining that homage feel. That feeling worked great in issue one but I think the series as a whole could have been even better than it was if he drifted a little away from his most obvious reference point.

Haha I always considered Hobgoblin Spidey’s defining villain. People always claim it’s someone like Venom but he really only spend maybe 4-10 issues combined being relevant, plus Maximum Carnage if you want to count that, but that’s more of a Carnage vs Spidey/Venom thing. Meanwhile Hobby…spends something like 100 issues making Peter’s life miserable and then follows him into the Wolverine crossover too!

You can skip the first 100 or so ASMs. It’s really old and it shows. I mean if you REALLY want to see one dimensional Lizard and Vulture by all means go for it, but I think you are better off skipping to around 150 or so and then reading until right before the Clone Saga, which everyone says to skip (and I managed to avoid).

JMS…doesn’t know how to write the characters. He has absolutely no grasp of MJ and May. I bet he was the driving force behind Civil War and having Peter’s identity revealed, which I bet they still haven’t resolved (I am behind a few issues now because I was disgusted). Back in Black probably ends with Spidey doing his usual copout “wait what am I doing this is wrong” act, so it’s kind of a stupid angle to ever use. Maximum Carnage did that type of issue a lot better.

Ultimate Spidey starts off okay but it really bogs down around the 90s. I don’t think I like any of the Ultimate series comic books. There was some Iron Man one awhile back but I think it got discontinued. His wife divorces him and theres some new type of armor that you can just sort of paint onto yourself, but I think it makes you crazy or something. I dunno, they only wrote like 2 issues and they were like 4 months apart so I gave up on it. Maybe udon was writing it.

They already resolved Spidey’s identity being exposed to the world.

How? Use a spoiler tag or PM it to me. Thanks.

It happened during Avengers: The Initiative #7

Avengers:The Initiative #7

[details=Spoiler]The Scarlet Spiders to thank Peter for helping them beat the vultures. Exposed themselves to the News that they are part of a government black ops of Spidermaen and Peter Parker was fired after the Civil War fiasco. They dressed as the red and blue spiderman, black spider man and Iron spiderman. They announced that after their announcement Peter Parker is no longer associated withe black ops and will no longer have powers.

Peter thanked them for getting the media off his back and being privy about his secret identity again[/details]

Huh, well that’s interesting. Had a feeling Marvel wasn’t gonna keep Spidey’s ID out in the open. Does the super hero community at least still know his ID. Either way, this will satisfy a lot of fans that hated Spidey unmasking.

MJ is one horny wife. Seems like Peter and MJ are always doing it like rabbits on the Discovery Channel. :rofl:

Ultimate Iron Man was a complete 5 issue miniseries and it available as a TRADE, BABY. Orson Scott Card wrote it. The next volume of the story is set to begin either next month or early next year, again written by Card.

I’m gonna have to say, in my best [media=youtube]AEJG06qEwLA"[/media]

That sounds like something DC would do. I guess it doesn’t really matter, though. Looks like the whole thing will be resolved anyway in Spider-Man’s own books.

Yeah. My favorite was that time they did it on the ceiling in Aunt May’s house. While Aunt May was in the room. Good thing old people have weak hearing skills.