Southtown Arcade - SF, CA - THE EXILES 2013.06.15, 12PM @ goforaloop Gallery

PMed Aksys on dustloop forums about CS2.

With AE, XIII on the way and possibly TTT2 in the future as well the classic games you already have, this could be a hot spot for the fighting game community in NorCal. Excited to see what happens.

@southtownarcade How do you feel about hosting tournaments/streaming sessions?

6 years too late boy.

Anyone in the Chico/Sacramento area interested in carpooling ?

As an old skool fighting gamer this is fantastic news. I remember there was hole in the wall arcades all over the place in SF when I was a kid. If this place treats the community fairly, as it seems like it will, then I hope the community embraces it and keeps it alive. I’ll definitely show support whenever I cross the bridge, jus lemme know when that CvS2 gets fixed though.

I shall drop by during my down time!

Just got back from checking the place out, here are some thoughts on the place.

First off, the place is small. Not necessarily a bad thing, but probably wouldn’t be possible to hold tourneys here. Choice of games is pretty random (Vsav and CVS1 lol) but am looking forward to another place to have SSF4AE and KOF13. Japanese parts on everything is nice, but those random flat top seimitsu buttons on some of the cabs are weird as hell. The chairs there are ghetto and are way too low to the ground. When I went there the jab button on the 3S cab was busted and there were people from gamepro or some shit to take photos of the place. Once AE and KOF13 are there, I can definitely see myself coming back on a regular basis.

Just got back myself. It is a nice small little arcade right next to the tunnel. location wise is quite nice since you can grab some drinks or food right next door pretty much. The inside the cabinets are like they said japanese styled cabinets with sanwa, seimitsu, and for kof happ buttons lol. I liked the place and the atmosphere. This place needs more people to come, I can see in the future this can be a hotspot. This place feels like a place back in Hong kong where they have small little arcades and that is fine. I’ll def come by again good place.

Just got back(to work) from checking the place out. I think it’s a great thing they’re doing, and the size is of course forgivable as San Francisco had a very large sized arcade that had shit to choose from, this however is the complete opposite and I myself welcome the addition.

I do agree with Danny on the stool issue, they are pretty low, you end up looking at some of the screens from a bad angle, but then again I’m a big man so I’m surprised I even fit at these cabs. Of course this is on a specific basis. Accent Core’s stools were low, but 3S was fine. As far as buttons go, I got no real preference here so everything’s fine for me.

The staff’s also really friendly and approachable. I might go back later, work permitting, but I’m gonna be there Saturday. All in all, pretty cool place. With support it’ll only get better.

Why you hating on my Chinatown arcade. I used to body the triads in mvc2

Talkin about tilt foo!

Vsav is an amazing game, so if no one plays it, it says more about the community (in a bad way) than the arcade.

CvS1 at least is a case of a game that was pretty much directly superseded by another game.

I stopped by and loved it. The staff makes me feel right at home and the games are well-kept. Having experienced arcades in the past in San Francisco, this one is by far one of the best. I do agree that the selection leans a lot to fighting games, but with the space, what can you do? I imagine that will change as people come.

This place yells “Build around me!”. It’s got a lot of potential and with how open-minded the staff seem, I bet they would be open to running some tournaments or letting people record matches.

Will be a regular attendee, even more so when KOFXIII comes in. I’m really hoping for games like Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code to show up, but there needs to be an interest. Any Melty Blood players want to sound off on that?

You guys should open up a sister store DEEP east in the eastbay, I think it would do great because all the high school kids would go there after school and spend their cash.

Are they like drummer’s stools or something? lol

I’ll check this out when I get a day off, $11 roundtrip via bart whoo

Hello, SRK!

Just wanted to check in and say thank you to everyone who came to visit us today! Your feedback is extremely helpful and very much appreciated! Please do not be afraid to tell us what you think; we’re always looking for ways to improve and make Southtown a better place for all of our Guests!

@HaikuWar Someday! We’d love to expand, but right now, we are focused on our flagship location in San Francisco!

@Reiki.Kito Thank you so much for the kind words! You brought us the brownies, right? Thanks!

@buzzsaw Sorry to hear that the controls on Third Strike were not properly setup when you arrived! The problem was fixed around 4:30PM; please talk to a staff member at the information desk next time you visit, and we will hook you up with a freebie!

For those of you who’ve asked in the thread, as well as in person, about tournaments and streaming: We definitely have plans to hold Tournaments and Ranking Battles in the near future! Our space is small, but we believe that with proper planning, we can make a decent-sized tournament work!

If you have experience in running Tournaments, Ranking Battles or Streams, please contact us via e-mail on our website! We want to work with members of the community to make sure we get everything right!

If anyone has suggestions for games they would like to see, please post on our Facebook wall, or Tweet at us!

We’ll check in on the forum from time to time, but, remember, the best way to talk to us is to Tweet at us!

Southtown Arcade (southtownarcade) on Twitter
You can also post messages on our Facebook wall!
Southtown Arcade | Facebook

Thanks,
Southtown Arcade

Sweeeeet. A quarter a pop (excluding KOF13) is gonna have that Chuck E. Cheese feeling back. Now I want some pizza. :3

When CVS2 works and you have AE ill be there a lot, depending on the cost of AE lol…

hi. i play melty blood. ok going back to lurking now. btw nci is in 2 weeks (may 7) and there will be mbaa ps2 there. see dustloop for more info if interested! its at sjsu.

@Southtown: Yep, that’s me! Not kind words, just the truth. I really like your place and I don’t think I’ve been so energized about something opening since the Metreon opened when I was a kid. Thank you for putting in that time to be there.

@Dakanya: I’ll check it out. I heard that Current Code is out, the latest version of the game. I’m hoping if enough people show interest, they’ll install the game. I’m trying to get my friends and the Melty Blood community to show interest because I REALLY want a place in the city where I can play some MB.

Place has potential. Definitely need to swap out those flat seimitsu-imitations, though. I noticed some of the other machines had sanwas and they are noticeably more comfortable.