"Sometimes i wonder..is it worth fighting at all?" MvC3 Spencer Q&A's Thread

with spencer vergil frank, your more likely to have frank enter already leveled up, as there are multiple options with spencer, vergil, and spencer vergil as a pair to get frank to level 4/5 without even needing a TAC. you’d also get level 2 x-factor vergil with a great assist for mixups, and if neccessary, if frank is snapped in and killed, you get x-factor 3 vergil as a final incentive.

Some my biggest question here would be is level 5 frank better then Vergil in demon form? Or is it a question of who’s safer on a incoming mix-up?

The reason I said Frank last is to abuse shopping cart with Spencer and Vergil while building him to Lv4+.
As anchor, I would think xf3 Vergil>xf3 Frank. What makes Lv4 Frank good is his massive hitbox, XFC just makes him faster which isn’t a big deal. For Vergil though, his rapid slash is like doing berserker slashes that dont need to be cancelled into berserker charge to combo, he can do crossups all day safely, and confirm any hit into easy death without wasting much xf time.

So for Spencer/Vergil/Frank, ideally Spencer touches someone and they die while you end the combo with Frank at lv4. Then you play Frank lv 4 until he dies, then you play xf3 Vergil. It falls apart if Spencer does nothing and you have Vergil with a lv1 Frank. Much harder to level up Frank at that point.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply you’ve been a great deal of help.

Just picked up spencer over the weekend and what are some good combos to start with. I checked the combo thread but there isnt any indicator on if its newbie friendly or not or if it prepares you for the more extensive combos. That may because spencer is really newbie friendly (at least I don’t think so). I see people doing ziplines all over the place and I’ve been practicing tk zip grab but i have no idea what to do after that the grab…i just kind of float in the air lol.

After that tk grab, do bionic bomber, m,h,s, tk grab, hard knockdown, tk grab (to pickup), zig zag, tk grab. If you can do that consistently, you’ve got all the essentials for corner combos. Everything on top of that just combines assists to get more up grabs. The second thing, is zip loop combos to corner carry. So c.L, c.M, c.H, up forward zip, falling j.M, land, (j.m, j.h, j.s, forward zip, forward zip, downforward zip, land)x2. That should take you almost corner to corner. From there, just do S, tk grab as per above. or even skip the S, and do up grab.

thanks! this is great! ready to hit the lab!

whats better for spencer him to be an anchor with level 3 x factor or with skrull anchor?

I would say skrull, he has more loops,mobility and can open much easier . Spencer is good, but he more straight forward and is much better with assists.

+1
Spencer doesn’t need xf for kills and I feel his zip timings get all messed up that most people resort to the basic pickup, piercer, super enders.

How do I combo off of his j. or TK j. M wire grapple? The diagonal down one.

I find I can’t grapple to the corner to end with my corner series. There is a diagonal down grapple j.S, QCF+S, hyper one that is very hard to land the j.S part and told not to really attempt. I usually just land and bionic arm which isn’t near as much damage as it could be.

I absolutely cannot perfect the “X” zip in the corner after you pick them up with j. H wire grapple. I seem to always get the first diagonal right but almost always end up inputing left for the second diagonal instead of diagonal. Is there a method that most people use to get it right or is it just one of those execution boulders I’ll have to pass with time in the lab?

You just gotta practice it man. I wish there was something more I could tell you, but this doesn’t sound like a timing issue. You just gotta practice holding down back. There’s no need to rush it for what it’s worth. You have tons of time to do the zips.

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/21511/MascotRay">MascotRay</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>
<blockquote class=“UserQuote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/52491/Rasevales">Rasevales</a> wrote: <a href="/discussion/comment/7985337#Comment_7985337" class=“QuoteLink”><span class=“ArrowLink”>»</span></a></div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>I absolutely cannot perfect the “X” zip in the corner after you pick them up with j. H wire grapple. I seem to always get the first diagonal right but almost always end up inputing left for the second diagonal instead of diagonal. Is there a method that most people use to get it right or is it just one of those execution boulders I’ll have to pass with time in the lab?</div>
</blockquote>
<br>
You just gotta practice it man. I wish there was something more I could tell you, but this doesn’t sound like a timing issue. You just gotta practice holding down back. There’s no need to rush it for what it’s worth. You have tons of time to do the zips.</div>
</blockquote>

I think I saw some japanese spencer player doing forward zip(towards the corner), down zip, 80k. Not sure if its applicable in all situations, but I saw him do it and figured Id share. It looks easier than the x zip since it reduces the chances of crossing up your input so unless there is a reason not to use it I would recommend going for it instead.<div><br></div><div>My question is in regards to match-ups, how do you guys feel about spencer vs wolverine? My friend plays spencer and he complains about the match-up, but between me and you guys his spencer really isn’t the best, on the flip side I was watching the stream and fanatiq was like he thinks spencer handles wolverine really well(and yipes proceeded to OCV team in wolverine we trust) so I figured id ask you guys. It’s one of those match-ups I can’t place.</div>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/12662/jak%20d%20ripr">jak d ripr</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>

I think I saw some japanese spencer player doing forward zip(towards the corner), down zip, 80k. Not sure if its applicable in all situations, but I saw him do it and figured Id share. It looks easier than the x zip since it reduces the chances of crossing up your input so unless there is a reason not to use it I would recommend going for it instead.<div><br></div><div>My question is in regards to match-ups, how do you guys feel about spencer vs wolverine? My friend plays spencer and he complains about the match-up, but between me and you guys his spencer really isn’t the best, on the flip side I was watching the stream and fanatiq was like he thinks spencer handles wolverine really well(and yipes proceeded to OCV team in wolverine we trust) so I figured id ask you guys. It’s one of those match-ups I can’t place.</div></div>
</blockquote>

I personally hate playing Spencer against a strong Wolverine so much that I changed my team order to Wolverine/Spencer/Hawkeye. It’s not that Spencer can’t hold his own against Logan though. The problem, for me anyway, is surviving the first 5 seconds of the match. It just feels like Wolverine has a strong advantage in the opening gambit. <br>

<br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteText”><a href="/profile/12662/jak%20d%20ripr">jak d ripr</a> said:<div><br></div><div>My question is in regards to match-ups, how do you guys feel about spencer vs wolverine? My friend plays spencer and he complains about the match-up, but between me and you guys his spencer really isn’t the best, on the flip side I was watching the stream and fanatiq was like he thinks spencer handles wolverine really well(and yipes proceeded to OCV team in wolverine we trust) so I figured id ask you guys. It’s one of those match-ups I can’t place.</div></div>
</blockquote>

I remember posting this in the matchup thread. Spencer is ok against Wolvy since he has strong air normals and good mobility to create distance and not get trapped by Wolvy. However Wolverine has quite possibly the strongest beginning opening gambit in the whole game (Zero is the other who can compare), so in that regards he cannot fight back until he creates space to call assist. I don’t personally think it’s in Spencer’s favor, just 5:5 IMO.<br>

What are some commonly used reset setups by Spencer players? I’ve been using the UVG > H reset and the Bionic Reset sparingly for the most part. Are there any other “good” ones?

<blockquote class=“Quote” style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/79861/DemDumpling">DemDumpling</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>What are some commonly used reset setups by Spencer players? I’ve been using the UVG > H reset and the Bionic Reset sparingly for the most part. Are there any other “good” ones?</div>
</blockquote>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47KzmeI_ck </span></font><br><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>this is a really good one.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I have another question, when watching spencers they all seem to always whiff a jumping h before they go for the air zip, why is that? My first thought was its to option select a throw, but that doesn’t really seem to be the case since they do it all the time, even when they are full screen, so I’m stumped.</span></font></div>

I know the in the corner the basic concept is timing a falling jumping C  in a way that you almost instantly land and then you have the following options:<br><br>1. If the opponent decided to push block you can command air throw (623C) on reaction. <div>2. Opponent got hit because he tried to do something - you can 236C~A and connect a combo with your falling jumping C</div><div>3. The opponent blocks the jC he will then land and you should try and mix him up with 2A/6C/command throw for as usual.</div><div>You can also time an assist call.</div>

I have a matchup question. How does Spencer deal with Wolverine/Doom? At my locals, the Wolverine/Doom/Vergil are growing lol. Every time I try to attack or punish, Plasma Beam comes out and it’s pretty much downhill from there. It has become a matchup I don’t feel comfortable playing :confused: