"Sometimes i wonder..is it worth fighting at all?" MvC3 Spencer Q&A's Thread

Has spencer wire grapple always been able to nullify attacks? Like they clash with each other rendering both inactive, but with Spencer still able to normally attack. I’m not a Spencer play but I came across this in the lab and was curious if that was in Vanilla

Yes it was. It’s difficult to use it in a consistent way against most things but I used it to nullify Dante’s hammer.

Kind of a random question:

Is there anywhere in these forums that help with different efficient ways to approach and pressure your opponent with Spencer? I feel like I’m able to decently, but think I could be doing a better job.

My team - Spencer (β) / Magneto (α) / Wesker (β)

I mainly just zip line in through the air to j.H or on the ground while I call disruptor assist, but outside of that I just kind of wing it.

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks.

Simpler question:

Does j.m zipline hit high? I won’t have a chance to find out for myself before the tournament I’m going to tomorrow.

no it doesnt it high, but if spaced well, u can do a jL after the zip is hit/blocked and u can combo it…again, if spaced properly

Cool. Thanks.

I feel like i’m being extremely oblivious when I ask this, but isn’t Spencers ground grapple straight free to throws? I know you can jump up and air throw him out of a zip if timed properly but I feel like i’m missing something here.

Normally I would say yes, any time Spencer zips on the ground unassisted he should be free to grabs, but i’ve never seen anyone do it, not on a stream, not in real gameplay, however testing against the AI resulted in me getting grabbed out of every ground zip unless it was covered extremely tight by an assist. Is the issue that he can tech the throw so its only a so-so option? Even then I would assume its better than eating frame traps and mixups all day from Spencer. Am I missing something here?

Thats all I really want to know.

It’s -2 or -3 if memory serves, so yes, you can throw him out of it. In fact the biggest holes in Spencer’s offense is how he can be thrown out of things (air zip line unless really close, ground zip line, overhead, etc), and nobody really does it.

i agree, people complain about it alot, but dont realize how easy it can be to deal with if done wrong.
worse when youre fighting a wesker and he can just command grab and punish almost everything into full combo :frowning:

Alright, thanks, thats what I thought. I was pretty sure about Spencer being free to throws and its good to hear that he is ( all of my characters can ToD from a throw for the most part ) but I don’t have any Spencers to play against.

Weird that i’ve literally never seen ANYONE do this, maybe i’m just oblivious to how well Spencer players cover their zips but still…

Oh and, how about when you pushblock Spencer out and he zips back in? I assume hes pretty safe in this regard as long as he reacts quick enough, but I could be wrong, 20 frames of blockstun seems like a long time either way though.

Off a pushguard it’s hard to say. Depends on when he cancels the normal, when you pushblock, the spacing, blah blah blah. Shouldn’t pushblock him after normals anyways, after H he can only go high or zip.

Well I dunno, I usually don’t go full length with my blockstring, I just run up and spam 2LLLLLLLLLL>Zip+A1/2, sometimes I just pushblock him out if hes trying to rape me with a lockdown assist like Tatsu so I don’t have to deal with the high/low/throw mixup that I can’t see because i’m covered in hitboxes.

How are you guys leading into Bionic Arm -> Armor Piercer -> Bionic Arm?
I know that you need to hit the first bionic arm at a certain height, but I can’t do it consistently off of OTG H Grapple -> Bionic Arm (I’ve actually only done it once).

It’s a useless waste of meter and you shouldn’t do it, so I don’t

I finally took the plunge into Spencer-dom last night and, for not having any combos yet did surprisingly well. I was originally looking at him as a good point for the shell of xxx Doom Ammy (I mentioned this in the combo thread, apologies for some redundancy), but am now wondering if I should be angling more for optimizing Spencer rather than Spencer optimizing the shell.

So my question, since everyone is saying missiles are really good for him, would I be correct in assuming Cold Star is a pretty bad ass assist for Spencer? Seems like if they block it on the ground, simple cL vs fwd+H mixups could be powerful, and if it catches them in the air(and hits), his air to air confirms seems relatively easy. I guess I’m wondering if missiles+cold star make for a well rounded Spencer, or if I should be angling more for, like, tatsu or arrows or drones or something. Thanks!

cold star + missiles is actually amazing for spencer…both can extend his combos giving him multiple UVGs…cold star helps spencer with a projectile assist, extend with a UVG, and if done properly, saves his wallbounce after his OTG
wish i could play her more effectively tho :frowning:

goodluck

Any tips on linking the overhead to armor piercer?

Learn the timing, you have 5 frames to get it right it’s not remotely hard

Input armor piercer right at the end of the animation of the overhead.

I’m having a bit of trouble with corner to corner combos. It’s the OTG M grapple > downfwd zip > air S

I have no idea when I’m supposed to press the air S. I’ve tried a bunch of different timings and I can’t get any consistency. Any tips?