"Sometimes i wonder..is it worth fighting at all?" MvC3 Spencer Q&A's Thread

After launch, how do you execute the vertical grapple so quick?

If you mean on the ground I think you Tiger Knee it. (Do :qcf::uf::s:) If you mean in the air then i still think you TK it. Unless you mean something completely different.

Sorry I wasnt more clear, I meant after a launch (S), I’ve seen people go for a vertical grab to bring them back down. If I TK it, sometimes it makes me jump up and make me do a downward vertical grab.

It’s not a TK, but rather a jump cancel cancel. The direction is the same but you press :h: before leaving the ground. You jump cancel your :s:, and then cancel jump startup to :qcf::h:.

Thanks a lot Stark! Will have to practice this.

I get the cancel, but I cannot get the damn thing to hit. What am I doing wrong? The opponent is always just in front of the grapple. Does c. H push me too far back or should I be moving closer? Keep hit counts low when on the ground? It’s been infuriating me.

Well. You can’t just always have it come out whenever. You can’t just be like, okay I got a ground combo, time to chain to :s: then to :qcf::h:… That doesn’t work. You have to do more specialized combos there.

That’s…disappointing.

I’m new to Spencer and i was just wondering what can he do to get in and get some hits?
Right now I’m just ziplining in like an idiot and doing j.:s: c.:m: c.:h:.

Mix in a :f::h: when you’re on the ground. Maybe kara cancel a :dp::m: or :h: if you think they’re gonna try to jump away.

Is there anywhere I can find frame data for Spencer?

What are spencer’s best anti-airs? I have had a guy jumping on me all game.When i tried jumping out, i was either getting air thrown or out priortized by his normals :frowning: Spencer’s H command grab worked at times but i’m looking for something more reliable.

Standing jab. Lots of standing jab.

I still dont understand this. Is the Up grapple not supposed to be tiger kneed or is it?

if you’re launching them again with S, the up grapple must be jump cancelled a.k.a. Tiger Kneed

I am. I simply see the up grapple pass next to them

From what I know, it might not work on all characters and it has to be done in the corner. Also I noticed that doing cr. H, S, TK Up grapple doesn’t work as often if at all as st. H, S, TK Up grapple on standing opponents. The latter should work on most of the cast. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Just started Spencer.

If I’ve literally never used Spencer once in vanilla or Ultimate (tho am experienced in general), and am thinking maybe it’s time to give him a shot, two questions:

1. Where would you rate his combo difficulty from 1-10 where 10 is Magneto midscreen ROM and 1 is relaunching with Wolverine? I’d like to give Spencer a shot, but if it’s gonna take 50 hours in training just to consistently crack 500k, I’ll stick with what I know.

2. Where should I go to learn the combo basics? If it’s just ‘go to Spencer combo thread, read, xcopy,’ I can handle that. but if there’s a nice spoon-feeding tutorial somewhere on how to handle various confirms, I’d like to know. Also, is the Brady guide reliable for Spencer? Some characters they knock it out of the park, and some they became obsolete on day 2.

1 He honestly varies. One of the nice things about Spencer is in a lot of ways you can make combos as easy or as hard as you’d like them to. getting 2-3 UVG combos with minimal effort isn’t hard depending on team setup. I’d say as low as a 3 and as high as a 9. Find something that works and run with it.

2 Check the combo thread. It’s not solely “read combo, do” but also a bit of "mix and match common components in combos based on your needs.

Thanks, I kinda figured as much. Watching Spencers always felt like a bunch of common recurring themes being pieced together in different orders in different situations. Any Spenceriffic timing things I should know, for example… I did take him into training for 10 minutes once, and it felt like after a launch, he wants to start reciting his ABCs immediately, as opposed to some characters who want to fly up a bit first. Is that correct? And any other helpful hints that could cut a couple frustrating hours off my practice time?