"Sometimes i wonder..is it worth fighting at all?" MvC3 Spencer Q&A's Thread

C.:m::h::s:, SJ,:m::m::h::s:, :qcf::m: (otg), :df:J.:atk:+:s:, J.:s:, :s:, SJ,:m::m::h::s:, [:qcf::uf::m: or :h: (otg)]
How do I get the j.s and the s to hit after the zip wire in this combo? The opponent recovers by the time Spencer is close enough to hit with j.s. When I do land the j.s the s always misses. What am I doing wrong?

Well, The way i do it is . Instead of SJ,:m::m::h::s:. I use SJ, :m::h::s: with a bit of delay between them. Then Zip line and continue.

Try that and let us know!

I should have clarified more. The j.s I’m struggling with is right after :df:J.:atk:+:s:.

I’m almost certain that it doesn’t. I use it on my team (Cap/Spencer/IronMan) during combos, and with IronMan’s stuff I have to make them shorter depending on when I use it. It’s still GREAT in my book, awesome in combos, and awesome potential for a reset. (it causes a forced stand so they have to guess high/low if you reset the combo)

Kei

Yea, I have problems with that too depending on screen position. I’ve gone to now just calling my IronMan assist to keep them up that fraction longer when I still have it available. I just really need to spend some more time figuring out the properties of the zipline, because that’s just too good a combo to not have 100% in my tool box.
What kinda resets and mixups are you guys mainly doing with Spencer. I’ve been spending a good bit of time in the lab lately looking for what I can get that looks useful, but I’m still ‘new’ to him so I’d love to know what the vets are using…it might help my thought process into a new line of thinking.

The two I have now are both throw setups (one air one ground), but one of them only works in the corner…and you have to have the first hit for that one to work at all. I just realized you could instand air ‘dash’ with the zipline instead of just jumping to do it…that helps speed wise, and staying low to the ground as well. I’ve also been working with side switching using the zipline (uf. atk+S) during block stun, but nothing super sexy off it yet.

[media=vimeo]27659671[/media]

That’s the basic air throw setup I was working on, but it’s still just basic…I know there is much more, I just haven’t unlocked my mind to find it yet. That will kill Wolverine though, and it’s juuuust shy of killing 1mil health characters (I believe it’s a simple s.L away from killing them after it ends).

Kei

(Cap/Spencer/IronMan)

Thanks for the reply, I usually use his assist with Thor and was wondering if I should use it as a combo extender or as a way to do resets with his comand grab… since it dosent reset its best if I use it to reset combos

I really like this combo, it is too much to ask for the notation from 0:06 untill 0:10 seconds of the vid? , im struggling to connect this efficiently.

Thanks!

No problem, it’s pretty easy once you do it once. :slight_smile:

after near corner knockdown…S, j.M, H, S xx forward zipline xx down+forward zipline, (land) s.H, S, (immediately!) j.M…pause so the opponent recovers…air throw (f.H in this case)

If you’re having problems with getting the first j.M after the OTG, just pay attention to when Spencer backflips after the OTG…once he does hit S, then jump back up (I usually jump forward out of habit, though a straight jump works just fine too) and continue with the j.M, H, S…etc.

I usually leave the inputs on in my videos so you can always see them at the bottom, and follow the timing if you need it. :slight_smile:

You can do the entire combo without the assists if you want, I just use them for options for extra damage or other reset options I use to keep things fresh.

Kei

Excellent! ,
Thanks for the notation, i’ll hit the lab.
Keep it up! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome, I’m sure you’ll have it down in no time. :slight_smile:

I’ll be in the lab too if anyone needs me lol.

I’m still VERY INTERESTED IN CURRENT SPENCER RESETS/MIXUPS if anyone wishes to post them.

Kei

does using a different atk button in the zip line make any difference in timing? is there a difference zipping in after an otg :qcf::m: using :l:+:s: or :h:+:s:?

Not at all.

How do i land a Jaw breaker in a actual match? I always either get hit or it whiffs because my assist hit first.

How do i do a combo ending in a hyper mid screen consistently? Sometimes it (Bionic ARRRRRM) hits and other times it misses.

How do i combo from a :f::h:? Does my assist have to hit at the same time or am i supposed to be able to link something?

Whats the frame data for :s:+:l: on hit/block? I lost my bible somehow…

Spencer has a lot of frame traps. Get the opponent scared to poke, then punish them for their complacence :3

There’s so many different ways! You should read through the combo thread for details.

On counterhit, you can link a :l: or :d::l: and get a combo from that. Even without one, though, you can always link a :qcf::s:

It depends fairly significantly on the distance. While right next to your opponent, it can be a couple frames of advantage. From further away, an assist needs to cover it or you’ll just get thrown.

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner, but I do have one I’d use if DHC glitching didn’t exist (it’s always to my advantage to complete the combo for 2 bars than risk the reset) that I’ll be using for Ultimate. It’s semi-team specific but fairly re-creatable.

I usually start with :df::l: +:s: + :a2: since Akuma assist is my primary approach, but :m::h::s: should still work and have sufficient hit decay, I’ll check that later.

Anyways, :df::l:+:s: + :a2:, :h: :s: A:m: A:m: A:h: A:s: :a1: (some form of OTG assist) :h::s:, A:h: A:s: :qcf::h: (otg Zip wire from off screen, combo will carry to the corner to do the H), A :s:

When doing the falling S at the end, if you time the S just before you land you can combo it into Armor Piercer xx Maneuvers. If you do it slightly earlier, they’ll flip out, allowing you to reset via air throw or Jawbreaker.

Not the greatest thing, but a reset all the same. Long and short of it being setting up a situation where OTG H Wiregrapple into S will cause a flip out, which should be doable in a lot of other situations.Still the element of guessing where they flip though (might be able to do some crossup shennanigans if you still have an assist to call).

Are there any tricks to linking Armor piercer after >H? I’m only getting it 1 time out of 5 if i’m lucky.

Just time it better~

It keeps getting brought up, but not really in this thread~ You don’t TK it, exactly. You do the motion like a TK, but you need to hit the button before you leave the ground. S doesn’t cancel to specials, so ywhat you need to do is cancel S into super jump, and cancel jump startup to grapple. It’s weird, I know, but you get used to it.

Yes I was looking around in the other thread and found the answer, I’ll delete my post soon, sorry for the inconvenience

Besides, timing it better, you might need to actually be closer to the opponent, since it comes out faster in closer proximity.

That said, a small trick that could help that you might not be doing is double tapping the S after doing qcf, essentially giving you another chance for the input. :slight_smile:

I’ve gotten a bit better at it now, manage to get it half the time now. Still forget to use :f::h: though… Ah well, i’ll force myself into it i guess.