So, from the looks of it, U1 is still horrible

Am I right in that assumption?

Only “buff” to it I see on SRK wiki is the second kick has a slower startup so that it’s less likely to whiff… which wasn’t the main problem with the move anyway. What it NEEDS to do is turn around after the first hit if the opponent is behind you or have better auto correct IMO. I saw a Yogaflame24 video where the move was used, and the move still has the same huge flaw as before; the Guile player threw out U1 when the opponent jumped over him, and one hit from the first kick connected and the second missed, leaving him to receive a full punish. And on top of that they removed 60 dmg and removed 4 frames of invincibility (6 instead of 10 now)? Why did they do that? In AE I used to like to focus through fireball spam and throw out U1 but in Ultra it’s a lot riskier to do. I don’t see any reason to use the move… granted I haven’t played Ultra yet (Aus PSN doesn’t get Ultra). Someone please tell me it’s not as bad as it looks.

The only improvement of any note at all is that it starts up in 6 frames which is 1 frame faster than before. That’s it. The second kick slow down is fixing something that was hardly ever an issue. So yes, they really did reduce damage and invincibility on an Ultra with little to no utility all for 1 improved startup frame. Incentive to picking W-Ultra is tossed out the window thanks to the nerf on raw damage and it even lost some of it’s anti-air ability.

Guile can only be punished if the first hit struck the opponent when they were already on the ground. If the opponent is airborne and gets hit by the single hit, Guile is safe from punishment. It’s a bit annoying but I can accept it since it has some utility as a get out of jail move. The 1 frame startup improvement will help with hitting people before they land… by 1 frame… assuming you don’t simply get stuffed by the time it touches you.

I gave up on U1 about a week into Ultra… I was in the corner against Guy and he jumped at me from 1/2 screen, so he was a perfect 45 degree angle up from me. I let U1 rip and it whiffed entirely. Granted, he was probably doing his super jump, but I was still pretty pissed

Barely use Ultra’s (1 and 2) in general. Prefer to best my opponent without the need of that at all.

Guy doesn’t have a super jump ^^;

All they had to do was either:

remove the auto correct and keep its AE2012 properties

OR

keep auto correct and keep the new nerfs as a means of balance.

Capcom in their infinite wisdom and in keeping with their “Guile must never be A tier” balancing act, decided to do neither and instead remove the auto correct AND nerf it…

Meanwhile every other character in the game, including the new ones, have 2 viable ultras AND can auto correct properly on wake up.

It seems unfair that Ryu’s U2 gets more utility and gets to stay 500 damage, when Guile’s U1 gets nerfed. Even if you don’t take damage into account, it’s terrible at it’s supposed job as an anti-air. The best use is focus crumple/stun combo, but now after they nerfed the damage there’s no point in ever picking W.

Oh, ok. Maybe it’s a demon flip? The jump where it makes the “whisk” sound when he jumps.

Bushin flip.

Both of Guiles ultras are ass :frowning:

U2 isn’t fabutastic but it’s quite far from ass really. Right now I think it’s just about right considering Guile isn’t supposed to have high comeback potential.

I love Ultra 2. I think it’s one of the most versatile Ultras in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHxm5qAs4xc

I hate the U1, it is totally stupid. This is just one of the bad examples I uploaded to youtube

I’m actually liking ultra 1 in a lot of matches. I punished EX scissors last night with it & it completely won me a game against a Seth dive kick.

Calvinfoo, I just watched your video and that woulda made me want to do an EX fightstick slam!

honestly, I think in this particular case it is just niche circumstance and I can accept that outcome. Ultra 1 has always been unable to launch people off the ground when it doesn’t hit properly from the front so in cases where they pass through you like that I think it’s fine. You’re lucky that it even gave you additional hits on the first kick rather than just a single one hitting in the back. Ultra has startup time after all and Oni was already starting to pass through.

Ultra 1 is so bad now that landing it in a match is almost combo video worthy alone. That being said, ultra 2 is amazing now. I set my alarm 1 hour early for 2 weeks before Evo just practicing every combo I could into fadc ultra 2. It’s now very natural and on some characters I land it almost every round. I can’t recommend enough learning how to naturally go into an fadc ultra 2, it’s also a lot of fun.

U2 is indeed amazing. I’d rank it as one of the best ultras in the game honestly. Good damage, counters fireballs, counters empty jumps, great chip out tool, can combo with it off flash kick. It’s awesome. Ultra just made it that much better with more damage and better juggle.

I think someone in Capcom has a bitter memory and hatred of Guile character from SF2 days… (like me, hehe) They did a good job making sure Guile would not run roughshod over everyone like he did decades ago. ^^

You know how Guile could punish FBs with his U1? Well this is no longer the case in Ultra

In ultra, the invincibility on U1 runs out before the FB passes through Guile. You won’t even get to the second part (reverse FK) of the ultra before the FB hits you in your back.

This happened to me in game. I was not a happy bunny.

I thought that U1 DID autocorrect if your opponent was trying to do a mix up. I’ve had it work almost every time I play against Decapre and she does her teleport moves.