Smash Bros now playable on Arcade Stick

excellent on this! I do recall years back trying out Melee on stick just for the hell of it and seeing what you have done is truly amazing.

I can say though certain things for example like making a neutral B still usable while having ready a final smash is impossible. since the game and programing has FS overriding Neutral B. if anything my Question is assume you only use 4 buttons for basic things…since you cannot put an additional 2nd stick to simulate C-stick is it still possible for say the remaining 4 buttons to be programed to be the 4 directions that the C stick can do for quick smash attacks? (IE a button tap = a down smash)

Can you actually do dash grabs with R+A? I’m pretty certain you couldn’t in melee. I think there’s a few other things Z is useful for as well.

I would say A, B, X, L, Z are all pretty necessary which unfortunately doesn’t leave enough room for the 4 c-stick smashes. I would try and fit c-stick up on there though, so you can upsmash out of dash at least.

For brawl, my layout might look like this:
A L B Cup
Z X ? Cdown

I’m probably forgetting something, but I’m mainly thinking about keeping options out of shield close by (jump, grab, up b). I would miss Csticked fairs/fmashes while moving backwards with some characters, however. But at least you can still dair spike without fastfalling easily.

I’m not sure that a stick for melee is viable with only 8 buttons. C-stick forward and backward would be even more important for fsmashing out of crouch cancelled dashes/wavedashes. And possibly even both L and R to make wavedashing out of shield easier. One stick and 8 buttons just won’t cut it for melee.

[edit]
Fuck, just realized you said 6 button stick. I guess you’ll just be doing the bare minimum with that, then. Well, whatever. It’ll work fine for fooling around in casuals.

You can dash grab with R+A. Just press the two buttons pretty much at the same time. It the same as Z essentially.

I don’t use Z for grab at all in melee and brawl. But since some trickier moves uses Z to perform, its needed in brawl.

This is good shit , Im excited to see how this works out.

Wow, I didn’t realize this. I thought your shield would have to come up first. Makes it a bit more difficult to jump cancel, but it’s nothing impossible.

There’s a thread in the Tech Talk subforum where people have been discussing the logistics of using an arcade stick for Smash. Unlike the many past threads we’d had that were all theory and planning, this one has someone who has actually tried it. (He’s using a hacked Wiimote, which probably wouldn’t be as good as Toodles’ UPCB.)

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=156944

I think the most viable, and universal solution would be to make a pcb with the exact qualities of a gamecube controller. From what I understand, the joystick being analog is the real challenge.

Anyone purchasing a upcb would have to mod their own stick, or have one modded, so button placements/amount of buttons can be determined at the individuals discretion really.

As far as these programmable techs in various modes, while a cool idea, i’m sure they’d be banned in any tournament. If people want to be good, they need to get good and not cheat, but that’s just my opinion.

I always wondered if it was possible to just padhack a gamecube control and wire up one of those analog sticks from happ, or put in the actual gamecube analog stick itself, and even the C-stick for that matter. Is there a way to disconnect them from the pcb, and have them wired to it and still retain the same function? If so, I’m sure a clever woodworker could make lightweight wooden attachments to fit over the original gamecube analog thumbstick and c-stick so that it looks like a traditional arcade joystick, for aesthetic purposes.

… ?
Why make an arcade stick for smash?

It’s not SF…

Lol, I’d try it, though.
Sound’s eccentric.

That’s funny. Wavedashing on the stick is not only doable, but easy. In the ‘basic’ mode, hold the stick in downleft or downright, and quickly tap jump then shield.

Please, list some more of these ‘impossible’ techniques. :smokin:

YES! Just got through testing, and its not only doable, but pretty easy. In basic mode, doubletap a direction to run, then quickly tap A and B, move stick up, tap A and B again.

Three reasons:

1. Because many players, myself included, want a real arcade stick option for Smash.
  2. Why not?
  3. Because I can.

Sprinkle with the glee I get from getting repeated posts of “Bah, you just cant have the same control with a stick; it’ll be unplayable” and “That’ll make some things way to easy; this would be an unfair advantage in a tournament.” from the Smash crowd, sometime from the same posters.

I’m really excited about this, it’s just too bad I only play Smash 64. Toodles, do you know anyplace I can go to get some information on how the N64 analog stick functions?-- in a perfect world I’d build a rig with this bad boy…

http://www.akihabarashop.jp/images/Seimitsu-LS64Back.jpg

Btw, is your stick even analog, or are you using your wizardry to allow the digital stick to get real freaky?

Getting N64 support into the MC should be easier than trying to rid an analog stick like the one you linked into a board that uses a quadrature encoder like the OEM N64 controllers used.

The MC is all digital, but in smash mode it reports the status of the analog stick how I expect it to be controlled. So, maybe wizardry, maybe pimp juice.

Thanks, I appreciate the response, and I’ll take your word as far as the difficulty of the macguyvering is concerned.

Maybe I can pick your brain on this-- how easy is it to turn around in place with your setup? In other words, you try a grab, they roll behind you-- are you able to do the equivalent of a minuscule tap turn around without dashing through them? If so what’s the factor at work that allowed you to pull that off.

Also, how does something as simple as walk vs. run/dash work?

Lastly, is a short hop button even necessary? – Honestly I’m all for it, but I would just imagine that quick taps of a Happ/Sanwa button would be incredibly easy either way.

I’ll be all over this when it drops, n64 support or not.

As long as you didn’t have the stick in that direction already, a quick tap in a direction should do what you describe in both basic and advanced modes.

In basic mode, double tap and hold a direction to run, double tap and release to dash. In advanced mode, run+direction and release to dash, run+direction and hold to run. If it goes according to plan and I’m remembering right.

I don’t know if its needed in gameplay. I just know that if it could be done with a pad, I wanted to make it possible with a stick.

Its been out for a while now for Mellee and Brawl. MC Cthulhu and UPCB both have smash modes in their gamecube support.

the Z button on the GC controller is just a macro for R/L + A at the same time.

No difference between pressing R+A and Z, assuming you press them both at the same frame.

Also, short hops are very necessary in both competitive and casual gameplay.

This is quite interesting and I’ll be sure to give it a try.

Have you tried Z canceled upsmashes or anything else Z canceled using a trigger+A before? Im not a big smash fan so I honestly havent, but with I dont believe upsmashes are the only z-cancels in the game, and I have a very very hard time believing that all Z cancels can be done with trigger+A.

I very much appreciate any and all input, but I don’t think what you said is accurate.

Is this even posible to begin with?

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Please hold all questions until you’ve read the thread. Or, even maybe the title of the thread. I think the title of the thread would have answered that question, and most every post contained within the thread.

I was under the assumption that analog controls were not possible on a stick. If that is untrue, then that clears up most of the problems. tilting and walking are vital. I would love to walk into a tournament with a stick and see their faces.

Aren’t you supposed to be pretending you don’t like Smash?

I’ve used GC controller for WAY too long to switch over to stick probably, but heh, interested in seeing how this turns out. Gotta admit, the lock functionality is a great way to deal with the c-stick issue, that said, if we include melee for this… aren’t fox combos hard enough already?!

Can’t wait to test out the Smash mode when my MC arrives. I’m sure I can recreate the feeling of my first wavedash. :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll even be doing some of Fox’s infinites before long?

Great work Toodles. Tons of props on even taking time to do this. I’d love to see some tournament players using sticks (probably won’t happen in Melee, in all honesty).