Smash Bros now playable on Arcade Stick

No, this isn’t a ‘How can I play Smash with a stick?’ thread. For those that don’t know, I’m working on custom boards for inside arcade sticks called the UPCB. Read up on it here

I just finished getting Gamecube support worked in, and added a couple of modes to help with playing Smash Bros. I wanted to let y’all know about it, and also to ask for advice from people who know Smash better than I do. Since GC support is in, I can setup the controls however anyone might like and test them out.

So, here’s the question: How would you like the controls to be? I can make it do anything a GC controller can do (and more), its just a question of what players would want. So, in your perfect world with your dream arcade stick, tell me how you’d want the stick/buttons/combinations to make your character act.

-A tilt/normal attack button
-A smash button
-A short hop button
-Is it possible to differentiate neutral special and final smash so that neutral specials can be done when a person has the smash ball?
-A second stick that can be used the same way people use the c-stick.

I have a way to play Brawl with one of my arcade sticks, the Hori Fighting Stick 2 on the PS2. Only reason it works is because you have a switch that allows you to switch from D-pad, Left Stick(Control stick), and Right Stick(C-Stick)

On Mapping buttons, the 4 face buttons have the most customization as the Z and Triggers can’t do as much.

On building a Smash Stick, here are my recommendations:
-4 Face buttons and Z I HIGHLY recommend (B, A, X, Z, and Y or a Shoulder button) this can be Set by setting one up to shield and the other to jump, in game however.
-Taunts…aren’t all that important to actual gameplay, but it would be nice to have the option for all 4 taunts somewhere…Maybe some of those smaller Sanwa buttons could work here.
-C-Stick, I never really use it. But to some, its essential with Boost Smashing and B-Sticking and what not, so including some kind of way to have a C-Stick function accessible would be plus.
-As for in-game, I recommend turning OFF Tap jump and learning the jump button.
-Some layouts I have mapped/used:

Legend:
A = A
B = B
J = Jump
S = Shield
N = Not used(Although it will have something mapped reguardless)

Converted, the GCN layout looks as so…
Z-B-Y-Z
L-A-X-R

Tekken Style
N-B-J-N
N-A-S-N
As Basic as it Gets. Good for Shield grabbing and Jumping B projectile harrassment

Soul Calibur
N-B-J-S
N-A-N-N
With The sheild button SO out there, you’ll be doing more jumping than anything else, this layout did pretty good for Jigglypuff, MetUHknight, and Luigi.

LETS GO! Style
S-B-J-N
S-A-J-N
Best results from this, a sheild button can be replaced with “grab” but I do well enough without a G.

Just some I have personally messed with. At bare bones, you only need 4 buttons and the only reason I recommend the 4th is cause doing Up tilts on a stick is a bitch, so a jump button is good shit.

easy, already in

In, but problematic. In basic mode, I have it moving the C stick if A and B and a direction are both pressed. Works, but definitely works better if both A and B are pressed on the exact same frame. In advanced mode, smashes are done by pressing run+A+direction, tilts are just A+direction.

Interesting. How is this done on a GC pad? Just an uber quick tap of a jump button (X/Y) or something else? Tell me how its done on a GC pad and I can make the stick do it.

If its possible on a GC pad, I can make the stick do it. Just tell me how to do it on a GC pad, but I didn’t think it was possible.

Can’t. One stick, minimum of 6 play buttons, maximum of 8 play buttons, plus Select+Start. Buttons+stick combination can be used though. Look at the ‘lock’ button under the current SSB Advanced mode here.

That doesn’t give you any way to control the force on the analog stick, does it? How can you tell it to walk instead of dash? From neutral, how can you do a tilt and not a smash?

I’d like to avoid using any of the button customizations if possible. AFAICT, they dont have any functionality that can’t be done with the default settings, and by keeping it to the default I can ensure it also works in Melee.

heh, Im not building a stick for Smash. I have a stick. A stick that works on Gamecube. A stick I can program in any damn way I could possible imagine. I could set a button to boost smash if I want. If you can possibly even think of it, I can make it happen. I’m looking for input from Smash players on what they could imagine.

You have a regular six button + start and select arcade stick. How would you want it to handle in order for you to give it a try and play with it instead of a wavebird?

Here is the list of current modes. Any input on tactics/techniques that can’t currently be done, especially in advanced mode, or just general how to make them better, would be appreciated.

wow, can’t believe I never noticed that before. but yeah, you can’t tilt for shit. tilts work on this by actually holding a direction, can’t do it from neutral.

for the funk of it, I played with your default contol scheme on Brawl using my stick, its just fine (well…aside from the tilt problem)

Sorry I misunderstood ya on that man, my bad. The solutions you have are good shit, like the idea of a lock button. I have one, very minor suggestion. Instead of a Dpad down taunt as select, make it Up. Cause in Melee, only the Up direction taunts.

I used a wiimote to mod my arcade stick and my setup is something like this(its an 8 button stick):

Specials-Normals-Jump-throw
shield-nothing-nothing-nothing

I set shield and jump to taunt. I find this setup works pretty well at least with the limitations of the wiimote setup(I also cant turn off tap jump which sucks pretty bad).

The one thing that a lot of characters need is that c-stick, without that you’re always going to be limited. I tend to stick to characters who arent as dependent on c-stick or up-tilts.

Oh crap, I thought it was down. I’ll doublecheck, and make it whatever the Melee taunt is. Thanks!

This seems highly unfeasible and pointless.

It’s hard enough to implement for Brawl, and downright impossible for Melee (Wavedashing and other such things).

Just the difference between walk and run would be hard to do. There are several walking speeds, it is not like KoF or GG where double tap forward causes you to run.

I’ll take my coding skills over your elitism any day. If it can be done on a GC controller, I can code it into the stick.

If you want to be helpful, list up things that you think would be undoable on a stick, preferably with a description of how its done on a GC pad. If you don’t want to be helpful, then unsubscribe from the thread.

Didn’t Hori make a stick for the Wii? I’ve heard of GG players using it. Anyone use it for Smash?

Is it possible to do Snake’s sliding mortar move on the stick?

The Wii stick is reported as the d-pad, so its useless if you like moving.

I only found out about those Z canceled up smashes yesterday. Ill be working on figuring out a way to do it with the stick. So, not yet, but soon.

What else requires the Z button specifically? I’ve been using the A+Shield for throwing/grabs, but if there is more stuff that requires the Z button itself, Ill put it in.

Ouch, that sucks.

However, can’t you setup the control options to let the D-pad be for movement? Or set it so it registers as a Wiimote? Might work but I’m only speculating. How would the Hori stick register on Smash?

Please, stop posting.

Don’t mean no hate, but every time you try to post outside of hosting tournaments, they tend to sound very stupid (i.e the post I just quoted).

Anyways, Toodles your too good, man!
You know that everyone here appreciates the work on this.

Hopefully we can get this idea working.

Nah, it registers as a Classic Controller using D-pad only, I believe. Meaning, you can do button presses, but you’ll just taunt when you try to move.

And no, you cannot swap the movement to D-pad on any of the controler set up, only the Wiimote by itself uses D-pad.

Okay, as long as the main stick is analog, there should be no problems if you’ve got enough buttons. The Gamecube controller has eight, but you don’t even have that many commands. You realistically need four buttons, however, an additional set of four, in a + shape, made to smash in the appropriate directions, would please many players. However, I would want a stick with 8 buttons or more, so I can use it with any and all games/consoles. Just build it like a regular controller, with, say, one main stick, a small D-Pad, and a small stick near the buttons. Use ten buttons, and it’s PS2/Gamecube already. All the proper games allow button config, so there’s no need for any specific setup; button positioning is more important than button mapping. So, in conclusion, this stick just needs its main stick to be analog, and it’ll work fine for Smash. A multiconsole stick that can be used for any fighter, and many other games, would be something I’d want to buy. Forget Smash-specific buttons; if I can get the effect on a Gamecube controller, I can certainly get it on a stick.

come on toodles! :woot:

daddy needs a decent brawl controller!(lol gc&wii controllers are utter shit:lol:)

take a look through my description of the modes. Either your decent brawl controller is already there, or you can tell me how to do it better, in which case it will be there soon.

Modded controllers like this would be illegal in all tournaments (they were illegal in Melee). Especially if it can do macros. It may be allowed (and when I say may, it’s a BIG leniancy) if no macros are set.

And you can tilt from a neutral position. Have you people tried tilting the stick? It gets you a tilt really easily.