Skullgirls Tutorial: a Novice's Wet Dream

If you haven’t seen it yet, I recommend watching the tutorial mode in action asap.

Me, from another thread: “Fighting games have always appealed to me since I was a kid mashing on a MvC2 cabinet in the comic book shop next to my father’s store. They’ve always been way too difficult, expensive and intimidating for me to learn how to play properly but now I finally feel like I’m getting it largely thanks to the SRK community.”

I’ve been reading/watching videos on Skullgirls since last night and I cannot even begin to express my excitement. Not only for the game itself, which looks incredibly tightly designed, but for the tutorial mode. One of the biggest barriers between me and, it seems, all FG newbies, is the complete lack of instructions provided with the game. Even to this day, I’m still struggling to figure things out. Most of what I learned is from lurking the SRK forums and wiki and, as much as I appreciate having an actual resource to learn from, there’s a serious disconnect between reading instructions and actually playing. Without anything or anyone really guiding my practice sessions, it’s up to me to figure out even how to learn the game and as a result, my progress has been slow and painful.

I’ve seen the tutorial in action in videos and it’s already revolutionized my progress. I incorporated the tips and methods from the blocking tutorial in my practice and I already feel like I’m a million times better at blocking. And that’s just from watching it - I can’t imagine how much quicker this process is going to be once I actually get my hands on it.

My girlfriend is a great example of this as well. After I picked up MvC3 and built a makeshift arcade stick, she showed interest in playing the game. She had very minimal video game skills to begin with and behaved how one would expect: button mashing, panicking, asking me to slow down my attacks so she could figure out what to do. etc. So I took her into training mode and began to teach her how to play properly. However, being a newbie myself, I could only clumsily impart the wisdom I’ve gained from SRK and what I’ve discovered on my own so her progress has been even slower and more painful than my own. Not to mention I’m the only one around for her to battle with and although she enjoys the game somewhat, having your ass handed to you over and over again while you struggle to figure out what’s happening isn’t very fun. It’s also not fun to beat someone over and over again with no real competition (I’m really not at the point where I can play competently online yet). However, this tutorial seems like it’s going to feel as if Mike Z is sitting beside you, instructing you. I don’t know for sure but I anticipate that after spending some time with the tutorial, the great learning curve softener that it is, the gap between our knowledge will be negligible, even non-existent and the game will be fun and satisfying for us to play together again.

I couldn’t claim to have a good grasp on the demographics of the FG community yet but based on what I’ve read here, the FG community in North America is relatively quite small compared to how many people play competitive video games. I can also tell you if it wasn’t for my nostalgia for the mysterious allure and the influence MvC2 had during my childhood, I would have given up on fighting games before I even started. I’m pretty confident that given enough exposure, this game is going to not only revolutionize the learning of fighting games but video games in general. FGs will no longer be thought of as this impossibly difficult mountain of challenges that only basement dwellers with no lives (whatever that means) can ever play competitively. SFIV may have re-popularized the genre, but compared to the potential I see in this game for enticing new players, we ain’t seen nothing yet.

p.s. I know newbies are generally called “scrubs” in this community but I’m not using that word for now because its seems to have a lot of pejorative connotations. I might be wrong (in fact I probably am) since I might just be remembering years-old posts from the Domination 101 forums from back when live arcade play was the only way to go and good players probably had to take a lot of shit from bad ones. For now, though, I prefer to avoid it since I’m not talking about raging button mashers accusing others of “cheapness”, rather an enthusiastic beginner.

This is a link to a preview of what the tutorial will look like.

It’s good that you understand that a game that actively teaches you how to play and makes it part of the gameplay will go a lot more towards training people to learn fighting games for themselves. The tutorial mode looks like a great step towards that. Which makes it easier to get on SRK or Youtube and pick up on the other small things.

Ah, yes, I’ve seen that! That’s where I learned some new blocking skills. I’m going to add it to the original posts so those who haven’t seen the tutorial in action can get a taste.

Yeah, it’s not that people are unwilling to learn on their own, they just don’t know how when there are no goalposts. About a month ago when I started playing, after a bit of reading, I got the impression that I was supposed to go into practice mode and practice. The order of things to practice, how exactly to practice them, how to diagnose input errors and how it all fits together was largely left up to me to figure out. It’s been a long and painful process and here I am a month later, barely able to string a combo together and severely lacking in strategy. Like I said, if I wasn’t so determined to learn these games, I would have given up a long time. I can’t wait for that to change.

Don’t joke about that!

This tutorial is better than Mike Z. At least it won’t have sex with your dad O_o

But seriously. I’m living in Russian town without arcades and online play wasn’t an option for until very recently. I am huge FG fan for like 10+ years now - but guess what? I don’t have a fucking clue how to play those games. Because FG aren’t meant to be understandable by yourself.

I’m actually can be accused of being lazy and it’s pretty true. But that’s because there isn’t any scene I am aware of and I don’t think that I should spend hours upon hours in internet and training mode struggling to comprehend mechanics just to be able to beat the boss on hardest >_>

So, again, I’m very VERY glad that RL is trying to teach newbies to understand the game properly. It’s really the biggest appeal of SG to me to be honest. And overall common sense of RL of course. You can look on every part of SG - it literally oozing common sense. And you have no idea hom much I’m happy because of it.

I’m thankful to have picked up VF4EVO to teach me to fighting game (I’m still not good but that’s not the point lol).

I’m looking forward to the Skullgirls tutorial because I want to be able say “If you want to learn to play fighting games, grab Skullgirls, the tutorial is great” instead of “why don’t any new fighters have a tutorial mode half as good as VF4EVO?”.

Half ass good? lol

It’s full ass good. All the ass.

NBA

Meanie heads :’[

Meanie head nothing, you just helped me make a new phrase. :tup:

Oh damn footage of tutorial mode? I gotta watch this after listening to this week’s wakeup…

That’s very nice, kudos.

Hmm, well, it would certainly be easier for me to get friends into FGs… not sure if i’d learn anything form them… Maybe the “advanced” ones… depends on what the topics are…

I’d certainly beat me needing to yell at friends when they’re not getting fundamentals down. I know I’ve told my friends about the tutorial mode just from hearing about it. I was hoping they’d get advanced enough so I would learn something too… but that seems unlikely…

Yeah I’m really siked about a fighter in the vein of Capcom or GG type fighters that makes learning to block, tech throws and wait for correct opportunities part of the gameplay. Rather than just something they have to be convinced to learn on their own.

Since that video is from last year, I assuming the mix-up tutorial has been updated to discuss overheads? It feels like it would be irresponsible to not discuss the subject because their function wasn’t immediately obvious to me when I was new to fighting games and I assume it would be the same for others. Parasoul has two (axe kick and pistol whip) that could easily be incorporated into the tutorial.

I think there’s multiple “levels” to the tutorial.

I’m pretty sure overheads were covered in previous lesson. Can’t believe they’ll teach you mix-ups but not overheads >_>

Nope. They never plan to teach overheads, throws, dashing, magic series, or anything else. That tutorial in the IGN video is literally the only tutorial in the game. I know this because my uncle works at Nintendo and he brought home a copy of the game early.