Skillful Rekkagnition (Fei Long Matchup Thread)

**THE GO-TO-GUIDE ** for Fei Long matchup analysis! (Work in progress)

***Comments (Update 2/13/13 8:54 PM EST)***: Started giving the Abel matchup some shine. It’s a brief read, adding stuff as you read! :slight_smile: Gonna leave the links to Fei’s hitboxes on the top of the thread (was going to just put the images in the spoilers but they aren’t loading, probably too big) so you guys can access it easier and help you freestyle ideas and hopefully apply them in case some things are overlooked!

Fei Long’s Hitboxes:

~ Normals :[details=Spoiler] http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/30/fei-longs-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-1[/details]
~ Command Normals/Specials : [details=Spoiler] http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/30/fei-longs-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-2 [/details]
~ Specials/Super/Ultra : [details=Spoiler]http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/30/fei-longs-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-3
[/details]

Contributors (Updated 2/06/13) :
JimmyRiddle
Highlandfireball
**Shinosha **
ShinyMcShine
**thegame4ever **
ZBones23

Abel

Spoiler

-Mindset/Approach

Abel­- Generally characters want to hover outside of either their opponents most effective range, their own character’s most effective range (Fwd. MK {Step Kick}) or dance back and forth in between both, baiting normals to whiff and then punishing. In this matchup, Abel wants to stay just outside of Fei Long’s LP Rekka range, and get a knockdown by either using Cr.MK to crouch underneath Fei’s rekka, or sweep, both giving him setup opportunities to put you into his deadly 50/50 game. When Abel lands a Step Kick, even on block, and cancels it into a forward dash, he’s got you lured into a “50/50” game, the main focus of his core gameplay. Once knocked down, Abel wants to force your opponent into situations where there’s a sense of hopelessness based off of reads to punish their bad tendencies or maybe lack there of. (Never hurts to Wakeup DP once in a while, ask Diago) His meter will more than likely persuade him to go a certain route within a given situation, so pay attention to it as much as possible.

Fei Long - Fei Long can maul Abel down when Abel has no meter so as always, get the opponent to the corner as fast as possible (or as efficiently as you can). His only reversal attempts that are of any use against such tremendous pressure require a use of an EX meter. (EX Roll, EX Tornado Throw are the primary ways for him to escape) From here, use a combination of Fwd. MK (Overhead), LP Rekka, Far St./Cr. HP, **MK CW **(Chickenwing) > LK CW blockstrings and jump-in OS > throw on his wake up to keep him honest. When the Abel player DOES have meter, Fei wants to keep Abel’s neutral game in check as soon as possible. To do that he has to minimize any possibility of an Abel getting withing TT (Tornado Throw) range, whether that be by:

A) Dashing forward
B) Instant Focus dashing forward
C) Using Roll to close distance
D) Throwing out a random Wheel kick

Any attempts to dash up and start his 50/50 gameplan should first recognizing based off of the opponents habits and then punishing them as a result of being predictable. Abel can get lamed out in this matchup fairly easy since Fei’s plethora of normals and footsie tools can tame him. Just don’t get knocked down.

-Best Normals

**Abel **     

***Hitboxes*** :

~ Normals : [details=Spoiler]http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/29/abels-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-1/[/details]
~ Command Normals/Specials : [details=Spoiler]http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/29/abels-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-1/[/details]
~ Specials/Super/Ultra : [details=Spoiler]http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/29/abels-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-3/[/details]

**Far St. LK **
**5f/3a/8r {+3 hit, 0 block) **- {Under “Normals” Link, 4th row down, 1st Box from left} : Slightly slower compared to most LK in the game, decent range, can whiff punish almost all of Fei’s slower recovering normals, can be irritating to deal with, LP Rekka if you’re quick enough to potentially catch Abel pressing another button afterwards.

**Far St. MP **
5f/6a/11r {0 hit, -3 block} - {Under “Normals” Link, 2nd row down, 2nd Box from the left} : Attack vector is high so it can lose to normals with lower vectors like Cr. MP, Cr. MK, & Cr. HP

**Cr. Mk **
8f/5a/13r {+1 hit, -4 block}- {Under “Normals” Link, 5th row down, 3rd box from the left} : Abels will use this to whiff punish rekkas if you get too careless, can be whiff punished consistently if you expect it, **can be canceled

**Cr. HK **
11f/3a/25r {KD, -10 block} - {Under “Normals” Link, 6th row down, 3rd box from the left} : Slow normal, recovery is REAL SLOW(25 frames) can be canceled, Abel’s will cancel into roll if you are focusing, so look out for it, or grab if you block and expect the roll

**Fwd. MK (Step Kick) **
7f/2a/16r {+3 hit, +4 dash in hit} {0 Block, +1 Dash in block}

• {Under “Command Normals/Specials” Link, Upper left column, first 2 boxes} : Abel’s go to normal/footsie tool. If you block, expect the Abel to dash in 9 times out of 10 (still be wary of the fact they might not dash). Opens up damaging combos on hit, leads to 50/50 scenarios on block. High attack vector, can lose to normals with lower vectors such as Cr. MP, Cr. MK, Cr. HP when it whiffs.

Adon

Spoiler

Coming soon

Akuma

Spoiler

Coming soon

Balrog

Spoiler

Coming soon

Blanka

Spoiler

Coming soon

** C.Viper**

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Cammy

[spoiler=] Coming soon [/details]

Chun Li

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Cody

Dan

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Dee Jay

Dhalsim

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Dudley

E.Honda

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

El Fuerte

Evil Ryu

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Fei Long

Gen

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Gouken

[spoiler=] Coming Soon [/details]

Guile

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Guy

Hakan

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Ibuki

Juri

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Ken

M Bison

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Makoto

Oni

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Rose

Rufus

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Ryu

Sagat

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Sakura

Seth

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

T Hawk

Vega

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Yang

Yun

] Coming soon [/spoiler

[details=Spoiler]

Zangief

[spoiler=] Coming Soon[/details]

To use spoilers just type <spoiler=Description of the spoiler> Content of your spoiler </spoiler>

But replace < with [ and > with ]

Woo! thanks Shiny! That’s what I need most to get this thread rolling :slight_smile:

Let’s get the ball rolling :smiley:

Please get some some Ryu matchup goodness!

Zbones i just did a quick rightup while at work, will update with some more of my thoughts over the weekend but hopefully this helps get the ball rolling, is there a specfic format you want? like different headings or whatever? anyways,

**FEILONG VS ZANGIEF **
If played right this match is in feilongs advantage in my opinion.
If the Zangief knows how to play footsies and knows the feilong match then this is going to be a slow match.
If the Gief likes to press buttons you win this match easy,

Approach,
I approach this match just like many others with fei-long, and that’s as a carful bully. You should be able to walk Gief into the corner no problems. If you find that you are getting pushed into the corner that means you are letting him get away with things unpunished, this match is all about Anti-airing and footsies, let nothing go unpunished because if you do it may mean a knockdown and that is all gief needs to win this match.
Spacing,
You want to be just at the edge of his SBD range, from here and maybe two training mode blocks back you can effectively Anti-air anything he does with MK.Flame kick, when this is timed right it will beat anything he does clean, I don’t use normals to antiair in this match, I just make sure that if he jumps Im in a good position to flame kick otherwise I will just let him jump and focus on him landing (either do nothing or make him block a cr.HP or cr.MK , these aren’t really meant to hit but more of A conditioning, to say hey you better not press a normal here or you better crouch block or you will get hit, then next time the situation happens maybe see what he does he might try and green hand to beat your normal or he might just crouch block or SPD this gives you a lot of insight to the type of player you are versing, these are just some things I do as I have found that giefs genarally like to do things after an empty jump , sorry side tracked) back to spacing, from this SPD range you can wiff punish any slow moves he does i.e forward HK or his forward moving Cr.HK or st.MK which you can just block and punish with light rekka. I use Cr.mp quite a bit from this range just to stuff things he does and try and get some reaction, Also Cr.HP is a really good normal but be carefull using this against a patient gief as it can be wiff punished with his st.lk xx greenhand.

Corner
Once you get Gief in the corner, your job is to not make a mistake, don’t give him a chance, and by that I mean don’t just press buttons willy nilly, only wiff punish and apply max spaced light rekka pressure. Even the light rekka pressure is risky if he catches on as he will try and neutral jump to punish your rekka, you must use this to your advantage and punish his neutral jumps if your inrange, this can be quite hard though as generally Flame kick will not hit as it doesn’t have enough horizontal movement, so you must do a slight step forward and st.hk or catch him in the air with a j.HK . the st.hk can trade if your not carful…so be carful haha. Alternativly if you have a life lead why even take a risk? Just let him neutral jump! He can neutral jump all day for all I care! Just play it lame and win on timeout, once he knows your willing to do this he will have to take a risk.
Buttons/moves
ZANGIEF
Down forward HK: this is a sweep and moves him farward, This is however very unsafe for him to use against feilong as it can be punished with rekka,
Forward HK: This moves gief forward a lot and is often used to land an SPD (puts him just in range for light SPD) or greenhand after, this is a key move for gief as a good one will be monitoring what reactions you have after block this, make sure you are not predictable if you block it. this move however is one that I am always trying to bait going in and out of its max range as it can be easily wiff punished into a full rekka combo. cr.mk, cr.mp and cr.hp will all beat this if pressed at the same time
Far MK: This is a weird little kick that lingers and is usually used if gief is trying to frame trap you, this is however a very unsafe button for gief to use, as it can be punished with rekka even if you get Hit by it, make sure you punish it everytime.
Far MP: This is one of giefs Best pokes, it’s very safe, recovers quickly and is not easy to wiff punish. You should be just outside the range of this poke though. If your going against a gief that likes spamming this move just throw out a cr.HP to make him think twice, use this sparingly though. This is one of his best pokes but it doesn’t lead to anything for him so don’t get discouraged if you get hit by a few when playing footsies and just try to adjust you rhythm so you hit him, good anti pokes are cr.mp or cr.mk to get under it.
Standing LK: This is my opinion is giefs best move in this match. Its so fast! What makes this move so dangerous is that it can be buffered into green hand and in my opinion is the only reason this match is more even then a lot in fei longs fevor. A good gief that can play footsies not only will wiff punish anything you use with this button but its just a good button that can beat some attacks if pressed at the same time, this is why you must be carefull about using you cr.hp and cr.mk, it can also wiff punish cr.mp. If you are versing a gief that is wiff punishing all your moves with this then be prepared to play a really patient game where you are willing to go to timeout with a pixel life lead.
There are a few tricks I like to use against people wiff punishing with this button a lot, one is strait from the footsies guid and that is the feint, i.e wiff a fast normal to get a reaction then hit them with a cr.mp / HP. If they are realy good and are not reacting to you feints then I have another trick I use and that is to use your Forward HK, I know this sounds weird but I use it to wiff punish people that have really quick reaction, bare with me now haha, I know this move is extremely slow and will never hit anyone, but I use it a bit differently. I press it at a range where the first hit will wiff but the second will HIT, this gives people time to press a button to try and punish it but not enough time for their button to come out and more often than not I will get a counter hit. Now this isn’t always going to work but it really only needs to hit once to have an effect!

GreenHand/Banishing flat: well most people knows this move is unsafe for gief if you block it, and you get a free hp xx rekka combo for a punish but you should also know that his regular greenhands (not the EX) are unsafe even if you get hit by them! So make sure you punish every one he does. His EX green hand it it hits you puts him at a +1 advantage on you, This is where giefs mixups can start and this is where you do not want to be, do everything you can to not put yourself in this situation

FEILONG
Rekka: Light rekka is safe if spaced correctly, any other strength rekka or the second rekka are all lunsafe and can be SPD punished. Use it sparingly as one wiff or netral jump and you can eat a combo to the face that could turn the tide of the match, just use it enough to get some guaranteed chip if you need and so gief remembers you still have the move. If GIef has and ULTRA1 or a Super stocked I wouldn’t even use light well spaced rekka as it may be punished. You can win this match without this move.
Chickenwing: not very usefull in this match, if you do onwakeup and gief does SPD for some reason it goes over him. also green hand often beats it. I might use this move 1 in 10 games. Would love to know if you guys thinks of a reallly good way to use this move or some setups.
Cr.mp : Great move for wiff punishing and just throwing out as its so fast, can also combo to light/ex rekka on counter hit. (im you not superconfident in hitting the link then just us ex rekka all the time and just stop if you droped the link, you should be safe)
Cr.Mk: prob one of fei’s longest reach normals and makes his hitbox super low, can go under st.mp from the right spacing and will go under forward HK. Good poke to throw out and to remind gief to block low.
Cr.hp: this move can make any gief really angry, beats pretty much all of his pokes, great move just don’t let it wiff to much or you will get punished for it, a gief may try and jump if he predicts your going to use this move so just be carfull, if he is slightly late with his jump though you do have enough time to get a flame kick out.

TRICKS
Normal Throw: If gief is not Jump-caneling his SBD/lariat on wake up then he is FREE to meaty Throws, so try it out, if you knock him down a well timed meaty throw can beat SPD and Lariet!. more to come

This is all I can do for now as im at work, will update this further over the weekend with some more tricks and strategies , hope it helps some people.

NICE!!! :clapdos: This was pretty much what I wanted without even specifying haha You actually sparked an idea for me too, I’m going to take into account both characters, and segment it into:
-Mindset/Approach (brief synopsis of what Fei/opposing character does, or what they typically should/shouldn’t get away with in the particular matchup)
-Punishes (matchup specific of course)
-Best Normals

• Neutral Game
    -Corner game
    -Oki

Way more organized this way!!! Thanks Jimmy! Oh and obviously I’ll give credit, most likely gonna separate it though so everything’s easier to look at since I plan on combining everything into a large clump of info as opposed to separating everyone’s opinions. I don’t know yet, what do you guys think?

happy to help, rip it to pieces if ya like :), ill try to add some more over the weekend for diff matchups

Thanks again brother! I look forward to it. This was a good summary, seeing as how…
[media=youtube]hXrdoiua5F4[/media]

My knowledge of the Bison matchup. Feel free to correct/improve.<br>
<br>
<b>Fei Long VS Dictator</b><br>
<br>
<b>Mindset/Approach</b><br>
<br>
There are two types of Bison players. Those who try to rush you down and those who sit and wait for you to come. From my experience (as a Fei Long and a Dictator), the second type is the most appropriate style to fight Fei Long. Good dictator will usually stay out of your Rekka range to pressure you with Scissors as well as whiff punishing you if can’t space your offense properly. The key here is to seize the opportunity and be patient.<br>
<br>
<b>Punishes</b><br>
<br>
Devil ReverseDiver/Skull Diver : cr.MK or Flamekick<br>
EX Psycho : HP Rekkas<br>
Unsafe scissors : cr.LP xx Rekkas<br>
Slide : cr.LP xx Rekkas<br>
cr.HP : Rekkas<br>
<br>
<b>Best moves</b><br>
<br>
<u>Dictator</u><br>
<br>
st.HK : Good damage and range and probably his main anti air. It can easily stuff Rekkas if did up close.<br>
st.MK : Very good range and quick move. He uses it in a similar fashion than st.HK as it can stuff most of your moves as well. If he starts to spam it just walk back a bit and use st.LP OS HP Rekkas.<br>
cr.HK : His slide is unsafe unless did at max range, but it’s kinda fast and can eventually scores an untechable knockdown, which is usually followed up by cross up Psycho. Just throw out some focus or neutral jump for big punish.<br>
<br>
Scissors Kick : Charge move. Only the light version is safe and 0 on block so if you find yourself in a loop just back off. Careful though : the Medium and Heavy versions are safe at max range.<br>
Psycho Crusher : Damaging but unsafe, you’ll only see it in combos. The EX version however is safe at max range and can act as a frame trap.<br>
<br>
<u>Fei Long</u><br>
<br>
cr.HP : Good poke that can stuff scissors if done early.<br>
j.MP : Pretty much the best jump in up close as it breaks Bison’s st.HK.<br>
Overhead : Although not safe, can be used occasionally as it can avoid EX Psycho if timed right.<br>
cr.MK : Interesting move because it allows you to counter poke st.HK by going “underneath” it. It can also evade Devil Reverse and Skull Diver so don’t be afraid to rush him if he starts spamming them.<br>
<br>
Rekkas : Your main tool to push Bison in the corner. Be careful with the second hit, it can be punished easily by his cr.LK.<br>Rekkukyaku : Use your chicken wing to close the gap between you and your opponent. If the Bison is good he’ll punish it with st.HK so don’t insist if you see he does. Light and Medium version can avoid EX Psycho at close range, which is pretty cool.<br>
<br>
<b>Neutral Game</b><br>
<br>
The goal here is to push him in the corner. You should stay outside of his LK Scissors and st.HK range. From here you can pressure him all day with Rekkas or bait him and whiff punish. If you do get caught in his pressure you have few options :<br>

• Chill<br>
  • Stuff his next move<br>
  • Jump/Backdash<br>
    For each of your option, he has one too. Your safest bet is probably to stop your offense and see what he does first, then adapt. If you see he’s passive then you should probably try to pressure him more.<br>
    Feel free to throw out some neutral jump if you’re outside of his st.HK. Focus can also be useful but should be used with more care since it can be reacted to with Psycho or Scissors.<br> If you get a knockdown, don’t forget Bison can evade in a lot of ways, namely Teleport, Ex Devil Reverse and Ex Psycho. To prevent this kind of behavior you must use OS like Rekkukyaku (if he teleports) and HK Flamekick (for the rest). Only thing this won’t cover is EX Headstomp so watch out for that.<br>
    <br>
    <b>Corner game</b><br>
    <br> This is where you want him to be. In the corner he can’t do much. Pressure him with safe Rekkas, occasional jump ins and watch out for random stuff. In the corner this is usually where he uses his meter trying to escape. If you score a knockdown just meaty him with cr.LK or cr.MP. When did right it’ll recover in time for Ex Psycho and you’ll be able to punish him. Even better you can use cr.LK OS MK Flamekick. Timing and spacing are definitely not easy but once you get it down he’ll understand he should respect you. From the moment he fears you, feel free to use everything Fei Long has to offer (cl.MP, Tenshin…)<br>
    <br>
    <b>Tips</b><br>
    <br>
  • Don’t jump too much once he has Ultra (you know why)<br>
  • Regarding the Ultra choice, it is advised to pick U2, as it can contain most of his offense.<br>
  • Watch out for crossup Psycho setups (after a slide, a LK Scissors or a juggle st.HP xx Psycho etc…)<br>
  • If you have life lead, don’t bother chasing him.<br>
  • Although almost no Bison knows/does this, the character can Kara Ultra from Teleport.That results in triggering OS, ending up eating some of them with Ultra. So watch out for that if you face a REALLY good Bison.

Beast! Taught me some useful things! This Forum is alive for once :sunglasses: By the way could anyone help me out with way to avoid the 20,000 character limit??

Great idea since it is quite outdated, we need AE2012 stuff. Also taking your layout Jimmy it’s quite nice!

Fei Long vs. Dudley

Approach

Reactive based, wait for him to make a move, and when he’s scared to make a move, you go in and pressure with rekka, footsies and the like. Why will he be scared to make a move? Because you make him respect your tools.

Spacing

You want to be in a range just outside his key buttons, st.FP, fwd.FP and duck FP. If he whiffs you can punish with st.FP or LP rekka on reaction. If closer you can play footsies, cr.mk is a key move it can stuff st.FP and fwd.FP. Don’t forget to hitconfirm LP rekka into HP rekka into LP. HP is more ranged and will hit when LP whiffs, and finish with LP rekka so you have reduced recovery since it is same damage as MP and HP but recovers 4 frames earlier than HP. After being frustrated by you punishing him, he’ll try to jump or empty jump at a range where your shoryuken will whiff. If he does that st.HK and teach him not to jump at all, and understand the range he is likely to jump where your shoryuken whiffs. Also useful if used well is the st.LP>rekka option select, however be careful since you can eat a nice st.FP for your troubles if it’s just spammed. Also be careful if he focuses, Dudley has an amazing focus and can easily blow through your cr.mp or one hit of rekka, bait it, or if he has charged too much jump and punish. After he respects you, do stuff like MK chickenwing and keep pressuring.

Corner

Be careful and watch out for focus. When he respects your rekka range and is just blocking he will be tempted to jump or go for a random focus. Walk up and cr.LP or st.LP>rekka to pressure as well, and if he focuses it will break it. If he jumps you can st.HK or jump HK, you can also add stuff like MK chicken wing in your pressure. He might EX duck>throw to escape as well, watch out for it and OS rekka or use a normal to punish him for doing it. If you knock him down with rekkas don’t attack, just go back to rekka range and pressure, once in a bluemoon dash and tenshin, or you can go for tenshin setups (Focus level 2>dash>cr.lp xx EX tenshin).

It’s a match in your favour, just watch out if you are knocked down from overhead and his mixups, and be careful Dudley hits like a truck but if played well he won’t even get to start his game.

Im back! some more notes on this matchup. Enjoy!

FEILONG VS ZANGIEF
Additional Notes

Spacing,
Getting Zangief to Block a max distance st.HP / or crouch block a cr.MK with put you at the perfect distance you want to be for this match! At this range His Far HK and down forward HK will both wiff assuming you are standing and not crouching. Whats great about this range is that it the animation of his foot when he does his down forward HK actually crosses over our foot but doest HIT! Just remember to not be afraid and stay standing!

Corner,
When Zangief does a neutral jump or back jump attack in the corner there are a few ways to deal with it depending on how far you are from him when he jumps.
Different Ranges Zangief might jump at.
Range: where Cr.mk would hit, if he jumps here you can take a slight step forward and Flame Kick, or if you can catch him early in the jump with a st.HK. However, it unlikely that he will jump at this range.
Range: Lp.Rekka hit, at this range its not safe to get him with a st.HK as by the time you move forward to hit him he can attack and the best you will get it a trade in his favor from the jump attack. From this range if you’re not pressing an attack, when he jump you can meet him in the air with a forward jump HK, what this does it is put you right on top of each other but you will land before him and can apply a mix up which ill mention in a bit. If you want to be play it safe from this range, when he jumps take a step (small block) backwards and press st.HP as he is mid way down his jump, this takes a while to get the timing right so you will need to practice but it’s worth it as this is the only attack I can find that if spaced & timed right will beat all his attacks clean! Plus if he neutral jumps and SPD /green hand you will have recovered and be able to punish accordingly (I will post a video to show this in the coming days)
Range: mp.rekka hit, at this range if he jumps you just stay still and press St.HP and he is halfway down his jump , if he does an attack you beat it clean, if he does noting you are safe.

Mixups: On Zangiefs wakeup.
Lets take a situation I talked about earlier in the corner, if you can meet Zangief in the air with a Jump forward HK in the corner. Now assuming the Zangief doesn’t jump cancel his special moves (I haven’t versed any that do…) you can apply some good mixups here, as you will land before he does. One of them is meaty tenshin, this one is really good as you can pretty much do at as soon as you land and it will get him meaty(you may have to do a slight delay) This setup will beat reversal Greenhand,any Lariets and any SPD! And ofcourse normal throw and any button press, however if he neutral/diagonal jumps he will get a free punish. This is a really good option if you havnt done it to them before as most gief reaction arnt to jump in this situation. However, after you get them with this once or twice then they will probably jump to avoid the tenshin, But don’t worry there is another option!. Meaty Throw!! This takes a little of getting used to with the timing as you have to delay it more then you would think (practice in training room with him recorded for mashing on lariat after a jump) but if you time it right this will also beat Reversal Greenhand,SPD and Lariet, he can ofcourse tech this but your really just baiting a jump and if he does jump you will recover in time to beat anything he does will a flame kick!.
I find that it’s important to put a Gief player into these situations as they are very rarely under pressure, and this situation above is a great scenario where you have a lot better options then he does so in the end its going to work out in your favor more, play the odds!. I will also post a video of this in action in the coming days!,
Also ill have some more on spacing and situations coming soon. I,e what bests options after a throw tech! this one is good as it rarely comes up in the match, but if it does I want to make sure you are ready!

Really good stuff Shinosha! i was just in the process of really learning this matchup, the Jump.MP is really good in the match! great stuff.

You guys are doing a GREAT job by the way. Im gonna have to delete this and repost it because of the character limit :frowning: Just keep it coming!!

Awesome stuff indeed. ZBones, if you’d like, I can use my inicial post and edit it to contain part of the matchup info. Then you can use your two next posts too and put the rest of the matchups there. That way, you won’t have to deleted this thread and restart it.

Perfect!! :smiley:

Alrighty then, just tell me how you want to do the separation and which matchups you want me to be in charge of.

[INDENT=1]Fei Long VS Rufus[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Mindset/Approach[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Rufus can be a sticky character since he can put you in multiple options on a KD and also has the best dive kick in the game. Fortunately for us, Fei Long is the type of character that Rufus is not suited to playing against. Rufus MUST be close to you to do anything, all of his pokes have poor range apart from his cr.hp which you can reversal on block or even hit if your close enough. The game is played from a defensive point of view for Rufus until one of two things happen - He gets meter or he knocks you down. Our aim is to push him towards the corner and use our superior footsie’s to toy with him. We can also defend a life lead fairly well if need be. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Punishes[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Cr.fierce - Can be reversal rekka on hit or block depending on how close Rufus is. Super[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]EX messiah - Safe jumpable, meaty st.jab on wake up is safe. St.fierce beats all 3 options after the flip (overhead/low/mid) as does late flame kick. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Galactic Tornado - Only neutral jump into combo can punish this , its safe on block[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Dive kick loops - LK CW for 3 hits, will blow up frame traps and throw attempts. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Best moves[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Rufus[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]cr.HP :Great range but punishable if not spaced well. This is Rufus’s main button in the long game. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]st.HK : Launches for a free Ultra and will be used as a frame trap like our cl.mp - Don’t push buttons![/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Dive Kick : Best in the game, + on block, fast, can cross up, leads to knock downs and can hit confirm Ultra - Deadly. If Rufus jumps forward you MUST either focus backdash the dive kick or AA with flame kick. If you block, your in the mixer. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]EX snake Strike: Very fast and Damaging, will be used as an Air to Air or an AA from a poor jump in on our part. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]EX Messiah: His only reliable reversal, can FADC into Ultra but needs 3 bars. He can end it with a high, low or mid hit. Can be baited and very slow startup. Most Rufus players will use this a lot, it’s not very damaging but does offer him an escape and a mix up opportunity.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]st.MP - If you whiff rekka’s in his face he will punish you with this.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Fei Long[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]cr.HP : Good for keeping our own range[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Neutral jump HK : Can take dive kicks clean out of the air and will also punish Galactic Tornado if it whiffs underneath. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Jump back MP : Common move against dive kick characters to deal with dive kicks as an air to air. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]St.jab : Can safely pressure Rufus on wake up without fear of reversal - Fei will block in time if he uses EX messiah and you can back dash into punish - I’ve saw Mago use this on Justin and Ricky. Also takes dive kicks out of the air. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]St.HK : Great AA for Rufus, it reaches out in front and can also catch his neutral jump attempts if your close enough. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Rekkas : Your main tool to pressure Rufus, badly spaced rekka can be punished with jab xx EX Tornado by rufus. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Chicken Wing : LK/MK Great at easing the dive kick pressure, can blow up frame traps and dive kick pressure. Rufus is one of the few characters (only?) that can be hit with 3 hits of the CW on a focus crumple which you can the combo for bigger damage. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Flame Kick : MUST AA Rufus as much as you can. He wants to jump, he NEEDS to jump - Don’t let him. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Neutral Game[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]The goal here is to play extremely aggressive until Rufus has meter. Remember you have no threat of reversal as long as he has no meter. Get on him fast, stick to him, hound him, push him into the corner and keep him there. Our buttons are all better than his. He will try to neutral jump a lot to catch rekka’s, you must be smart and gain ground if he does this. AA him if he attempts to dive kick forward or focus back dash to safety. He will try to keep you at bay with cr.HP. IF you do get caught in the grinder, the 4 button tech (LK/LP/MP/MK) is extremely handy in dealing with pressure, if he throws you tech, if he traps you dash away. Also as noted EX CW for escape or LK CW to avoid traps. You can also focus dash forward into rekka for his cr.HP as a punish. Once Rufus has meter you must get it out of him with baits. The st.jab on wake up is safe, as are neutral jumps. We can punish a whiffed EX messiah with rekka on the other side. If you block it a late flame kick or St.Fierce should negate his 3 options. Ultra is optional, usually Ultra 2 will be recommended for DK pressure but Rufus takes 3 hits of U1 and it’s also big damage so think about that. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Corner game[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]There is a set up on Rufus in the corner from Rekka’s - After a rekka series ending in LP/MP rekka, immidiate forward j.LK - cr.LP - J.MK is an unblockable unless he does EX Snake Strike. See the Safe Jump/Set ups thread for more in depth details on this. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]He struggles in the corner without meter. Run all your usual corner shennanigans, overhead, rekka, cl.mp frame traps etc etc. Rufus can be succeptable to tenshin whilst he has no meter. If you have been put in the corner you MUST be patient, Rufus can combo his Ultra from anything he does to you in the corner, he will try to frame trap you and throw you to death. Stay patient, wait for your chance or use EX CW to escape. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Tips[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- He can be safe jumped [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- He has a safe jump on us involving j.HP (will double check the set up) [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- He has no reversal without meter [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- He has a short back dash so OS sweep works [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- Bait the EX messiah and buffer Ultra 2 in the back dash - make him pay. [/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- Use the 4 button tech to escape multiple options[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- Don’t let Rufus dive kick you, be prepared to Flame kick or focus back dash[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]- Dive kicks can cross up he will try fake cross ups in the corner - he can change the speed - tricky stuff! [/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]- [/INDENT]

<blockquote class=“Quote” rel=“Highlandfireball”>
<div class=“bbcode_indent” style=“margin-left:4em”>
<span style=“font-family:‘Helvetica’”><b>Fei Long VS Rufus</b></span>
</blockquote>
Really good summary of that matchup! On point as always. Couple things from my experiencing against Rufus (and playing Ricky Ortiz in a team tournament):

-Rufus players will generally hold up in this matchup if locked in the corner and Fei has meter (to avoid tenshin), or if they have Ultra 1 (for obvious reasons). -If he does EX Messiah and FADC’s backdash, you can <b>MP Rekka</b> on reversal to punish. (Making a thread on characters you can punish FADC’s with too. both dash-forward and back dash)
-His fastest normal is <u><i>4 frames</i></u> (free to well spaced over heads, struggles to punish <b>LK CW</b> consistently as a result - If the Rufus is neutral jumping at midscreen, <b>St. HP</b> will stop that free. (Remember he has 2 frames of recovery after he does dive kick)
-<b>Jump back HK</b> is useful for air to air situations when you want to mixup your approach to AA'ing him - <b>St. MK</b> (4 Frame startup) is pretty reliable compared to <b>Cl. HP</b> as an Anti-Air against him since he has a wider frame as a character. Sometimes if you don’t press HP at the right time you wont get Cl. but instead get <b>Far St. HP</b>, which will whiff if he comes at you from a certain angle for the most part. <b>St. MK</b> will at least cover an upwards or diagonal vector even if <b>Far St. MK</b> comes out. (most likely to hit him either way, can catch him if he empty jumps)