Shoryuken wants your feedback! Let’s build a brighter future together!

You want me to work on the Wiki? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking:
That’s a scarry amount of work.

Yeah, I get that. You actually have a solid point. But what really is there now? Tech Talk and the FG forums only have a tiny selection of active threads, and they’re all general threads. Aside from that, it’s days and weeks before you start seeing activity outside of those threads. SRK’s community is now at about 10-20% (being generous) of what is used to be.

You have to ask “why go to SRK instead of ____?”. What are the current popular threads? Election thread, Wrestling thread, NBA thread, etc. These general threads have all the activity, with rapid-fire responses that could suit a platform like Discord.

Tech Talk is a fountain of knowledge that should be expanded on (like the wiki suggestion) or archived. The regional threads are a great part of history, but completely irrelevant now with social media/Discord, and should be archived. Fighting game discussion is what SRK should be all about, but again, the ONLY activity I see is the SFV general and DBFZ general. It’s like… are the forums only being kept up for GD at this point? GD was always popular, but it was 90% trash that nobody would bat an eye if thrown away, and 10% interesting threads that people could archive on their own if they wanted. Additionally, there’s no prominent figure presence anymore, and hasn’t been for years. Everyone is moved onto Twitter or Discord, and Eventhubs clearly has the market on fighting game news (although a bit clickbaity).

The main argument I saw back in 2018 and now is “SRK is nothing without the forums”. It’s true, but now the forums are even more dead, with a ton of disdain for the new platform, Discourse. And as far as the front page goes, only one active staff member? I love SRK, but at this point, I don’t see the reason for it to continue. I know there’s a tight-knit community that posts in the general threads, and new members every week or so to post a question in Tech Talk, but it honestly feels like paying per month for that isn’t worth it, and could be moved to Discord. I’m not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Also, didn’t mean to rant. I love SRK, and my passion is kind of seeping through.

2 Likes

yeah, and jfc i hope nobody knows the pain i went through for years on the old systems trying to keep things under control. the spambot army is real. fuck vbulletin’s security.

You ascribe intentionality where I’m certain none was present. Like most FGC projects, once it’s out there it’s mostly expected to flourish on its own. Or not.

lol :coffee:

lol :coffee: i hope when you grow up you can come to understand everything i’ve been saying to your ass for the past decade instead of fighting against me to the point where i walked away

pot kettle

that’s a confused statement. the big names pay for it, but don’t run it: they are just emergency brakes if things go really bad. day to day stuff is run by … wait for it … you

this is the money quote

extend that to every person involved and that you think is involved and the whole story gets crystal clear

they’re working on their own stuff, which may or may not ever be stuff you care about

that seems misleading. wiz thought your account was hacked: that’s kinda his auto-response. wiz and ‘leadership’ are emergency brakes. day to day is we the people.

people need to look to each other, not to the heroes of yesterday

1 Like

what power do you want/need

i think d3v could do that with requiring certain access privileges. don’t think it’d be hard. closing GD lounge and GD ragebait threads would also be a step forward. i fucking love the lounge and community but if you’re trying to build up game-centric communities do that and don’t half-ass it.

maybe have a valhalla forum for "ex-"gamers? gd is a lovely side project but isn’t the focus of srk

2 Likes

What do you mean by ragebait threads?

Me personally, I don’t care about street fighter much anymore and my chosen game is little more than a blip here so I don’t have much of a reason to hang out here for the fighting game side of things unless that changes. This place has always been known as a hub for Capcom related games and I dont know if there’s reason to change that perception but if it did change, it might help bring in some people.

That said, having known players create exclusive content that can only be seen here is a good step. Maybe you have to pay them for it and I do t know where that money comes from, but setting this place up as a destination for people who want to get good and have to come here to see content that will help with that would drive traffic more than clickbaity Iantothemax type articles that are just ragebait themselves.

Also, an official discord would be a good move. I don’t know that forums are coming back, but you might as well set something up to capture people where they are.

1 Like

thoughts:

• discord: discord is great light-weight disorganized low-discoverability low-searchability communication about things. i personally think it’s a waste of time trying to do that too in addition to everything else: you further tax already limited resources/peoples. real time light-weight communication is awesome, though.
  • podcasts: what makes a Tips and Tricks / srk podcast any more valuable than anything else done by fgc members…?
  • the wiki: i still have my wiki account. do others have problems making accounts? if so that does kind of defeat the purpose of a wiki, and should be fixed.
  • the forums: i think GD is the cherry on top of srk: it’s the friends you made along the way. i don’t think it needs to be featured in the Top or Suggested Topics. why do we point people, especially new people, to GD threads like “Hollywood sexual harassment”…? feels like we’re getting in our own way with the ‘success’ of GD
  • tips and tricks/apex: methods for bringing recognition to people and communities and skill are great. i wish there was more of this, even though it’s impossible to coordinate.
  • avatars: it’s been said a billion times, but old vbulletin srk let people craft an online persona (furrsona?) that i think really helped establish the feel of community. these new tiny circles are the worst.
  • meta: people! i think most people do not understand that generally it’s just a handful of people working on community-minded projects. we see that in the comments above wherein we expect “someone else” to do this stuff for us. there often just isn’t anybody else: if you want something to happen, you need to be the one to make it happen.
1 Like

This. Please do a mass cleaning of GD. Leave the current general threads if you want, but all the troll threads by troll accounts, rage-baiting, insensitive racism/sexism/etc. (90% of GD) should actually just be washed. People can archive threads they actually have an attachment to. Then, make it a hidden board for users with a certain amount of posts? This would discourage people immediately from posting on GD.

Way back in the day, when getting local friends into fighting games. I would point them to SRK. After a week/month or so of them browsing or posting, they would say stuff like “damn man the FGC kind racist lmao” and “why the FGC always talkin’ about banging asian girls”. Yeah, I’d tell them “don’t pay too much attention to GD”. But it’s the general discussion board of a fighting game community… So it kind of shows.

But yeah, if we’re making changes to GD, I’d recommend a fresh reboot to clean a lot of the filth, and maybe let it not be immediately accessible to new posters. All the current general threads seem fine, but at least purge all of the excess garbage.

1 Like

Except Discord has already been tried by Tech Talk. It lasted all of I think a month or two before the server wasn’t being used. Hell, the Facebook group for Tech Talk gets more traffic than the Tech Talk subforum right now.

Regarding GD, I’d personally argue for stricter moderation policies and user education about what can and can’t be done. There’s only one current topic in there that’s “hands-off”, and that’s the election thread. Go in there, clean the old ass topics up, get rid of troll accounts and call it a day.

If anything else could be suggested, gating off posting new topics in Tech Talk until a overall post limit has been reached (say, 50 posts) would vastly improve QoL and could potentially bring people back. Also, stricter moderation wouldn’t hurt here either; since other posters have run some of the major contributors/major site operators off (jmanDMC almost immediately comes to mind here).

2 Likes

Yeah, I had forgot to mention that GD right now seems to be doing alright in terms of innocent topics. A majority are gaming topics, maybe a gaming subforum could work? But anyway, HARD agree. Purge old topics, remove troll/suspended accounts (why do suspended/banned accounts even still have their threads up? There’s NO reason for this tbh), and maybe more moderation.

And thats the worst thing you can do.

2 Likes

Do you mean cleaning the board, or making it hidden for new users? I probably jumped the gun on making it a hidden board. I was trying to follow up Preppy’s suggestion of not having it immediately advertised or on the top. I’m trying to think of ways to discourage people from immediately posting in GD instead of the other forums, but not having much luck.

I miss the Premium section a lot. I wouldn’t mind if something like that would come back.

Iirc it was supposed to be a donation perk with discourse reboot. Through Patreon or some shit. But nothing else about donation incentives have been mentioned since

2 Likes

How bout not trying to influence people of where they can post or what they can talk about because it’s happens to be convenient to you.

The Sexisum and Racisum that you complain its in the FGC, thats been there for decades.
GD didn’t make the FGC that way, it was the other way around. It was the way in GD at one time, but GD has hugely cleaned up since that time. Facts are the FGC in large is toxic and GD didn’t make it that way, the FGC did it to it self.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if it came off that way. Again, I was trying to help out since Pertho and Preppy stated they’re trying to figure out ways to encourage more discussion outside of GD with newer members.

Yeah, I know the FGC has had its share of toxicity and it’s not GD’s fault. My example was just people who didn’t know better coming into the SRK forums, and making assumptions based off that.

I also admit that from what I’ve seen, GD has cleaned up a lot. There are a few innocent active general threads and not many troll threads these days. If the current members are fine with this being SRK’s main activity, that’s perfectly fine.

I still think that banned accounts should be deleted along with their threads though. I don’t know how the search algorithm for Discourse works, but there are instances where I’ve come across awful troll threads from 6-10 years ago just from searching simple terms.

This.
I guess people see posting tech on Twitter as building some personal “brand” or “clout”. You need them to decide that posting on SRK is good for both them and for SRK.

3 Likes

I totally understand that. The Cannon’s are working on the new LoL fighter right?

Frankly speaking I’d be happy if they just figured out who the admin of the wiki is (Is it Wiz? No one seems to know) and designating someone new to approve accounts, because people wait months and sometimes years (@Psychoblue) for an account.

Also the wiki instance is very old and missing new tools that could probably save time/improve quality (or both).

You must recognize we commoners can’t change the code behind the website, right? I’m just a guy who edits wiki pages. I have no admin power, nor am I a computer scientist.

4 Likes

We have plenty of guys who can write code in the FGC. But what to write? Like if you had to create SRK from nothing, what features would you want? Some kind of Twitter integration? Some kind of Discord integration? Is the front page just a wordpress blog? etc. etc.

Some kind of “who’s online and available to play” feature + instant chat with same would be great for pick-up games with fellow SRKers.

Making SRK an extension of one’s existing online presence – youtube / twitch / twitter / fb / whatever – could be a good hook.

I prefer forums for more long-form discussions ofc.

3 Likes

for better or worse most of the moderators here were just people who either asked or seemed like they wouldn’t do a terrible job. if you think an area could use some help, check in with d3v. the discourse moderation system is kinda busted - you honestly can do a helluva lot with just the Leader role - but … there’s solid options and we should encourage people to use what powers we have for good.

fwiw i have relinquished all moderation and administrative power here. i have Leader powers only: i can do simple tasks like locking, delisting, pinning, and unpinning threads, as well as the ability to fix broken references and that sort of thing.

honestly i feel like the Leader powers are slightly underutilized.

anyways, d3v holds all the powers currently. :slight_smile:

i think the Cs pay the bills and by default wiz is secret admin on everything. when i walked away from mod and admin powers, that went through wiz. but it’s an incredibly large and vibrant community, so i don’t think wiz wants to worry about managing any of it if he doesn’t have to. i only try to bug him if that’s the last possible option and i specifically need his assistance. i hope others respect other people’s time too.

i know how busy everybody is - life is a thing - but i’ll check in on the state 'o the wiki tomorrow.

1 Like

This is the last outlaw forum online
Killing srk gd loses your base

The snap happened 2 years ago and now old heads are turning up

Yeah bad idea

3 Likes

I know SRK GD is the meat of the forums. I spent a good amount of my time there, and I know your posts also strongly favor GD. I was just brainstorming ways to incentivize using the other subforums unique to SRK, as well. I completely understand that GD is what’s holding SRK together by a thread right now and I admit my spur of the moment idea of making GD available through a post count quota was bad.

And yeah, GD is in a much better spot than it was so long ago. When I started visiting/lurking again a month or so ago, I noticed that there wasn’t nearly as much troll activity. At this point I’m only suggesting deleting banned troll accounts/threads that clog up search.

The solution for incentivizing the other areas probably falls on the users. I may try being more active and keeping the other subforums alive.