SfxTekken Price Drop: Implications?

weaker jabs stronger throws would just be sf4 again with no focus attacks

Nah, there are some real good changes. They replaced links with a better system, though the jabs became too strong in the process. I like the Alpha Counters, they’re not braindead. The meter system is better, removing FADC was a good idea. Wakeup rolls weakened the power of option selects. The Tag system has a balanced risk-reward. Saying that SFvsTK is trash on gameplay alone is just wrong, and I’m not a Capcom fan.

The problem for Capcom/Ono is that there are other games out there these days that are also solid in gameplay, and have the added bonus of not making you feel like a chump due to their business model. The failure of the game is a consumer revolt against being gouged, not the game itself. The game does have issues, but they are fixable, and if Capcom’s coders are competent enough, fairly easy design fixes.

I’ve been hugely critical of Ono throughout the years, but to me at least, SFxTK showed that Ono can learn from his mistakes, and did make improvements. He’s getting blamed apparently for the failure of this game, but it isn’t his fault at all, the real problem children at Capcom are Ono’s bosses, but suits never blame themselves for their failures, unless it’s Brad Wardell.

Literally every balance patch in current-gen fighting games is based on the community’s complaints.

There’s a difference between a balance patch based off complaints, and changing the core system of the fighter because of complaints.

Ok first let me start off by saying I don’t like this game. I do not troll these threads, but I don’t like the game, and have said that a lot. So some may think I am being bias.

That being said, I used to be a store manager at Gamestop. I still know plenty of store managers, and have a lot of connections with Gamestop. For a game to drop 20$ in one month I would say is out of the ordinary.

We all know how economics works, and we understand why places drop prices. However, games do NOT often drop that fast like some people are saying. I literally spent a large amount of life working around games all day long, and I am saying this is a sign of the game not doing well at all. Its NOT normal for a one month price drop of 20$, and this is a sign of a game doing very badly.

From my experience, if a game does well then there is no price drop at the one month mark. If it does OK, there will be a 10$ price drop. If it is doing poor, its a 20$ price drop.

Indeed, this is something a lot of people don’t seem to want to admit … despite it becoming increasingly obvious with each release.

The only difference is that the first one happens to the current game and the second one happens when upgrading the current game to the “super” version or sequel.

i.e. vanilla MvC3 was patched due to complaints, then the core system of the fighter was changed in UMvC3 due to complaints about vanilla MvC3.

Nobody wants the game. I thought that was common sense. People don’t want something, price drops. People buy a game at the 60$ price it’s released at and keep buying it at that price and it stays there for longer.

Really nice to actually read some intelligent discussion about this kind of thing on SRK.

i bought the game at launch for $60… sold it week 1 for $50 (just didn’t like the game too much and i can’t stand playing on PSN)
when it gets released on PC i hope it will be $40 as well :smiley:

anyway, serves Capcom right! they have burned a lot of credit and good faith with the mainstream gaming community by practicing really shady business
on the other hand it might signal a downturn for the genre

Guess we´re not looking into a DLC-bright future.
What was the last game Capcom made DLC for that wasn´t planned out beforehand? Just them thinking “The game sold well, people like it, let´s put out some DLC for it”. Did that even happen once with Capcom? Not trying to troll, I´d really like to know if this ever happened in the past.

I can tell you right now, and mark my words, unless another Vs game drops, fighters wont be seeing the sales of mvc3/sf4/mk9.

Those are flagship…

tekken tag will do well and thats all.

Its not about a game being bad or good, fighting games are not a medium where you can pump out 2-3 BRAND new ones every year, nor should capcom be listening to scrubs about patching.

Slowly but surely things will go back to the way they were, with patches here and there and a game fighter every 2-3 years.

Not surprised. Final Fantasy X-2 also dropped at my job (best buy) to $40 already. You have to remember that fighting games are no where near as popular as an FPS like MW3, it’s not going to get anywhere near the amount of sales.

Steam barely has AE sales online.

This game just came out. If you’re holding out, IMO the best bang for your buck is the PSVita version which should be $40 MSRP with all the characters on it. But there’s no knowing if it’ll have the rest of the DLC stuff like colors and costumes packed along with it though.

Most of the time fighters get price drops is when a new version comes out or when it’s a non-Capcom game.

I’m personally boycotting the game because i’m a cheap-ass and don’t want to pay $50-$60 for it.

Let me know when it hits $30’ish.

Selling the console version and waiting for the PC version… hm, not a bad move…

I think we’re all too close to the issue right now, whether you love the game or hate it. I don’t think anyone can argue that Capcom did a good job handling this game’s launch or that they responded satisfactorily to the uproar immediately following the launch. It’s also entirely possible this game would have sold poorly even if Capcom handled things much better, simply because there are so many fighters on the market now, and the nature of the genre is such that any new fighter needs time to develop. Right now everyone’s too busy either defending the game because they love it and don’t want it to die out, or being enraged by any of the several fiascos that have occured within that one-month period.

We’ll have a much better idea of things once either Capcom releases the DLC early and/or at a lowered price point as a show of good faith to their most hardcore fans (which I can’t imagine would actually happen) or in Sept/Oct when the Vita version drops and the roster is finalized. I think we’ll also get some good info at Evo, since it could revitalize the game if the team-based gameplay proves to be hype.

Winter is coming, the second dark age approaches.

Shame we didn’t get an all new Guilty Gear out of it.

It means people are going to buy it back cheaper than they sold it :stuck_out_tongue: