SFV Lounge: Season 4 is almost upon us, hide your mains

I miss the good old 8 frames where people would neutral jump HK in my face and I would get hit because I didn’t hold back fast enough.

1 Like

That sounds a whole lot of fun!
I love when I press my reversal or my 4f and it comes 7f later and I get comboed HARD with Falke for damage that will take me 30 seconds to recoup with my lame, defensive play.

For the other Soul Calibur peeps in here, I’m working on a frame data sheet for it now:

This is gonna take way longer than any of the SF stuff, but I did manage to finish Groh’s list at least. Probably only gonna spend like an hour a day after this so I don’t burn myself out, I spent nearly 10 hours straight finishing just Groh’s. Hopefully the rest won’t take as long.

13 Likes

Kinda stupid if you ask me. Since he was a guile man it wouldn’t have been stupid flocking over since it was his man.

Dude can’t complain. It’s kinda like Sagat being great and me saying, nah I’ll stick to Ryu.

Guile is probably as close to guile as any other version. I mean I’m all for playing who you like, but not picking your guy when he’s TT and plays very similar to Guile is pretty crazy.

1 Like

I think the day one impressions of S1 Guile he probably took to heart and then already started looking at other characters. He said he doesn’t find him fun to play in this version as the main thing. That’s his thing.

Can’t think of a more fun version of Guile existing to be honest. Buttons - check , zoning - check, Great corner pressure - check, easier charge mechanics - check. Good V-trigger.

First version of Ed was balls. Super balls.

4 Likes

Maybe he wants to be a low tier hero. Reminds me of Valmaster he didn’t want to use season 1 Chun Li lol. And he mained her low tier version throughout all of SF4.

1 Like

I agree also. This is the first Guile in probably ever that doesn’t just win matches by playing the boom frame advantage game until you lose. He can rush in, setup stuff off V Skill, long ass VT1 combos, he’s probably about the most versatile Guile that has been out there as far as mainline SF goes. For spectators that works too as they dont have to see every match won by 300,000 booms.

Yeah some people just get an attachment to whatever they played before. Chun was honest as hell in SFIV, but since SFIV was likely Valmaster’s first SF game he just grew attached to the way that Chun played and something different wasn’t going to work for him. He ended up switching to Necalli, the most boring drone ass character in the game, but his muscle memory of SFIV Chun was probably beating on him too much to do SFV Chun.

For me S1 Chun was like 3S Chun with actual combos while still having some heavy execution stuff so she worked perfectly for me.

2 Likes

Certainly looks more like that than “he’s not fun”. I mean it’s not up to me to tell people what they like, but I can’t think of too many reasons a Guile main wouldn’t play Guile in SF5.

At least roll him with a side.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I believe Dieminion got into the situation he did. Typical “I’m not seeing what I see in SFIV Guile/other Guiles” and just packed his bags and left without turning back. Way too late to convince him.

Plus if you count other games he’s played, he’s like Chris G in that he’ll beat to his own drum in whatever game he’s playing. Like in Marvel 3 he was using a really weird Morrigan/Strange/V.Joe team that wasn’t very optimal at all, but it allowed him to control the neutral and that always seems to be a focus for him regardless of optimization/tournament viability. He supposedly didn’t actually own the game himself for at least a couple years so that probably made him be a little more lax about his character choice.

1 Like

I think even if Sagat was different I’d still have rocked him. As it is he’s SF2/SF4 Sagat so it’s probably better for me, even if he’s not the greatest.

2 Likes

Yeah the only thing that got me through SFIV arcade launch was that Viper was anime/Ibuki enough for me to grab onto as a character. Every other character was 7 Eleven old man world warrior character that I had no interest in playing and the other new characters looked really blah to me. SFIV Ibuki came and although she was already pretty good, she just had a lot of things that were off for me compared to 3S Ibuki so I sided her. Viper and Ibuki were both pretty strong characters throughout most of IV so it’s not like I had to go way down the tier list to play either one.

SFV CPT is a bad place to put yourself down the tier list, but I guess there are some jersey boys that focus on other things than trying to top 3 every event. His twin brother uses Menat and Kolin so at least he plays more to the meta.

2 Likes

Before Ed was released, Dieminion was often bouncing between F.A.N.G. and Guile. Seemed like his F.A.N.G. got more tournament use than Guile, too.

Dieminion was on a stream with Jibbo doing Ed’s matchups, and Jibbo asked him why he doesn’t play Guile, and Die said that the skill involved in charging with Guile was no longer satisfactory and that he didn’t find it fun to play him with “braindead charging.”

Yes, I was also baffled by this.

5 Likes

Time to nerf Guile

1 Like

Well he’s added meaty throws disappoint him the list of baffling things.

1 Like

Mina is no flash all fundamentals tbh. Great space- and pace control, solid tools to set up mistakes and excellent punishers. Good damage too. Poor up-close game but that’s to be expected.

I expect she’ll be a common tournament pick. Her playstyle screams consistency, and she’s easy to pick up.

People here obviously never used world warrior or CE guile.

That dude was the man. All other guiles bow down to the OG.

Sounds a bit like Hilde but also not like her. Have to try out and see.

I swear to god I’m never going to main an unpopular character with unique mechanics again. The sequel to your game is only going to throw you under the bus.

1 Like
4 Likes