SFV Lounge: Season 4 is almost upon us, hide your mains

I’m finally getting better at dealing with cross ups with cross cut DP. And man there is no better feeling in the game then landing that at this moment. It’s so satisfying to shut down a option that’s considered pretty safe for most players.

There were even a few rounds where I just stayed near my opponent and begged them to do it lol. For me it’s one of those things that makes me feel like I’m better than I actually am.

2 Likes

1 Like

weak footsies?
On a character that walks forward faster than Cammy, with an above average back walkspeed (like, Juri’s supposed to be fast and she’s still slower than him and Ryu looks like a snail compared to him) one of the best st.mk in the game and a st.lp that is among the longest 3 frames in the game? His only real stubby button for SFV standards is cr.mk but that’s the same for many fast cancellable lows
EDIT:nevermind , Jin beat me to it

1 Like

his cr.mk is hit confirmable, -1 on block and linkable options on hit.

his cr.mk is unironically one of the best in the game, if your only judgement of a normal is down to it’s range then oof, because it’s got way more utility than that.

Akuma one of few people who can contest for his turn post cr.mk on block, 4f characters have to take the trade.

Akuma is very hard to play at the highest level because the game has such a high lethality to it, VTs give a big momentum swing, dashes and CCs are hard to cover simultaneously etc. Akuma can’t afford to get hit many times. He’s a fantastic character but not everyone can shine with him, your neutral has to be a cut above if you wanna succeed. It’s not just HURDUR PICK AKUMA N WIN as soon as you start playing good players.

But saying his neutral is bad is kind of a tell you don’t know anything about neutral.

7 Likes

I was replying to the “stubby” statement, the button is indeed short in range but I never implied it was bad.

If that guy ever comes back I’m going to main Kolin again and mash high counter on wakeup.

No one wants this

2 Likes

not talkin about you, referring to this

So, what would you nerf about him?
Cr.mk could be -2, cr.fp should be minus, what else?

I’m not part of the nerf Akuma gang.

Outside of empty fireball xx VTC, and his VT1 damage output/bar drain on VT moves, he’s fine.

Being strong is good, I want more characters on Akumas level, not taken down from it.

10 Likes

Sounds fine. Strong pre-vt, a bit weaker in vt.
Would it be fine if he could only empty fireball vt2?

empty fireball FADC was really good in IV for closing rounds too cause it creates this kind of checkmate in neutral, I don’t like it in any form.

It’s very non-committal, would just like it gone.

1 Like

I would just remove it completely. In a game thats designed on keeping you alive (guts scaling, can’t get chipped out), it’s kinda weird Akuma can put a box on the screen that you just have to take.

2 Likes

At least you could focus attack the box though. This is a lil bit worse for me. The FADC fireball in 4 was more like a trick or a technique, only really specific situations that would come up.

This is just SF5 maximum overdrive.

1 Like

I do

Would bring more variety to the defensive side of things, we don’t need a bunch of new boring rushdown characters

It’s time we got some more fun lame stuff

2 Likes

Yeah, I actually find “lame” matches more fun to watch.

2 Likes

People complaining about lame play I think is part of the reason SFV is in the state it’s in

Bad normals (compared to other SF games), higher difficulty whiff punishing, tons of “screw neutral” moves that are harder to counter/keep under control and of course “screw you Imma cancel into V-trigger now and you’re gonna die for winning.” All to keep the lame neutral play under control and promote “hype” offense and “hype” comebacks, because that’s what the casuals and the crowd want to see. Akuma doing whiff fireball VTC into win is hype so it’s allowed to stay.

And then someone who is actually super strong at lame play comes along (Guile, Menat) and people complain about that even more because people already hate lame play, and now it’s even harder for characters to deal with it because their neutral tools are so bad. And hell, even then part of the reason those two are good is because they can still do the boring 'ol rushdown game too, unlike Falke or Sagat (as DevilJin has pointed out before).

I mean it’s still better than DBFZ but yeesh

5 Likes

I don’t mind the lame play.
I don’t like that Guile has better offense than majority of characters on top of the lame play and that you cannot whiff punish Menat’s normals and have to defend against her BS 2 bar VT.

1 Like

Yeah Guile has better offence than like, 3/4s of the roster or more than that. Guile isn’t poorly balanced because of his keepout, it’s the inverse.

Menat having disjointed hurtboxes is just a lol design choice. Got nothing to say on it, she’s just Dhalsim but better lmao, he’s completely invalidated.

3 Likes

I used to think “hype” matches (rushdown-heavy, V-Trigger comebacks, etc) were more entertaining but my tune has changed in the last little bit. It’s all just the same shit.

I love watching tense footsies and seeing the battle over mental fortitude play out by two characters on a screen. I feel like that’s lost in most SFV matches.

I’m not saying there’s no neutral, or the game is brain-dead. There of course is neutral and you have to be smart to play well, but the momentum swings are just so big, and seem easier to start.

I also don’t care if it’s trying to get in on a tough zoner or back and forth neutral and whiff punishing. It’s interesting to see how someone will overcome it, and what mistakes they make, and what mistakes they capitalize on. Also, to me (possibly due to my current low-level way of thinking), it’s easier to see the patterns players make and the traps they lay.

That Daigo comeback against Problem X at Kumite (where he used impeccable defence and v-reversals instead of v-trigger) was probably the best round of SFV I’ve ever seen. Daigo didn’t just pop a V-Trigger and go ham wild. He meticulously poked and prodded at Problem X and played perfect neutral until his opponent was done. I’d like to see more of that.

4 Likes