SFV Lounge: Season 4 is almost upon us, hide your mains

Now I remember why I stuck with Ken for so long

He’s better at blowing up people who play crazy or press buttons a lot and his stlk was a godsend for punishing stuff

But then I dropped him 'cause I’m garbage at applying his neutral or offense against anyone who isn’t low gold level, and that just transitioned to everyone else I kept swapping between

Now I just feel like I wasted 2 years worth of time doing jack shit to improve

its a good word cause you are calling people stupid but some really stupid people don’t even know the word you insulted them with.

Also it honours our brave caveman ancestors

2 Likes

Ken’s probably the single easiest character to run offence with outside of maybe Bison or Balrog.

Get one combo - dash into corner carry, Run an ABCD between throw, st.fierce , cr.lk or overhead.

Ken tutorial complete.

3 Likes

And now you’ll get to master easy peasy. The beast is unleashed.

I told you guys WIlliams was better than me!!!

Honestly this post is the most sense of Ken’s neutral that I think I’ll ever make.

So I’m even dumber than I thought then

Good to know

Don’t worry, ever since SF2 came out playing Ken has turned people stupid

1 Like

I agree with the neutral comment though, but to be fair you don’t meet many Ken’s with a good neutral. When Sasaki jumped ship from Ryu to ken I enjoyed watching how he tackled ken.

Even Diamond level ken are looking for a jump in at all costs.

Ken’s neutral is very much so about applying passive pressure, then punishing your opponent for trying to wiggle out of discomfort.

With the input delay fix, ken still has the fastest dash in the game, and I’m not sold on the idea that ken’s dash is reactable even if you’re looking for it. Maybe you can twitch react, but that’s when you get blown up by crush counters, which is a gameplan I notice a lot of characters are able to accomplish pre-input delay fix. Now ken is one of the few characters that can run away with this strategy.

Of course if it’s only a binary CC/dash type of playstyle, you’re gonna get blown up. I’ve been experimenting with it a lot both online and offline, mostly because the biggest critique of my gameplay was that I’ve been playing to “honest”. What I like to do is really make them feel as uncomfortable as possible with just the threat of a dash or a CC, then I’ll go for whiff punishment, or simply walk forward and throw them (fast forward walk speed), or try to tag them with 1 of many 1-hit confirms, interrupt their pokes with a faster one, ect

He also has a fireball, and imo the best anti airs in the game with the overall best reward for anti airing. Very solid tools for punishing idiocracy (like st.lk into whatever)

He’s like a dudley/ryu hyrbid character, which was why I gravitated to him after playing mostly dudley and some ryu in sf4

9 Likes

Ken is good, but his buttons leave much to be desired. That’s his primary downfall from my time playing him, but that’s a pretty big downfall.

It’s less so if a person has his 1 hit confirms down, and less than that if they ALSO have a fireball game… but at the end of the day it’s linear.

Can you 1 hit confirm?

Can you throw fireballs in neutral well?

If so, your ken will be very good assuming you can do normal ken aggro shit as well. If not, your ken will be middling everyday ken.

Speaking of ken, I’ve always wondered about his vskill, how good is it? Are ken players always buffering it after hp just in case it lands?

outside of his piss poor cr.mk range his buttons are pretty good,

st.hk, st.hp, st.mp, st.mk are pretty solid within the context of SFV. Cr.mk is trash on range but still has a stupidly long cancel window.

1 Like

See, I have a harder time playing neutral with G. He actually has pretty good buttons, AND he has great buttons that are clearly intended for whiff punishing. But the lack of walkspeed is kind of killing the character for me, add the mediocre anti air and I’m just getting bodied.

The v skill is there to use in neutral once in a while and also to catch players off gaurd with awkward button cancels. It’s also there to keep up pressure after landing a knockdown

1 Like

As a Sakura player it upsets me immensely when peeps say Urien or G have mediocre or bad AA.

Mix up off AA ain’t that bad, her problem is her DP moves her forward too much. Which is fine if you are street fighter 4 playing with incredible pressure…but your aren’t , you’re playing with shitakura.

The fact that I ( Mr footsie control guy) likes Sakura should speak volumes about how shit she is…

Very strange move to make Sakura a fundemental based character.

Not sure if that’s “very strange”. She was a gorilla in SFIV and SHOSHOSHO in CvS2 was pretty busted, but she was a fairly basic, fundamentals-based character in A2 and A3 (by A3 standards ofc) from what I remember.

Yeah but normal people were out getting pussy in the alpha games.

We were “on a break”

1 Like

I was not. I was a huge nerd who was living with my parents and playing Super Mario 64.
Mainly because I was like 6 years old at the time.

That was actually my first SF-game, played it on a friend’s PSX when I was 9. Decided that shit was much cooler than Tekken 3 (which was HUGE at the time) because of fireballs and super moves. It’s probably why I decided to buy SFIV 15 years later.

3 Likes

Alpha kid. Rare as!

Mario 64 tho…