SFV Lounge: Season 4 is almost upon us, hide your mains

Throws in SFV are already dangerous thanks to gray damage slow recovery, with that in mind rushdown characters will be even more threatening. I think one of Capcom goal is throws being less impactful than SF2 days and they will prefer throw loops again than 1/3 of your life normal throws.

No, not really. Grey damage isnā€™t particularky threatening till you get around 20-30 damage going and in order to do that you generally need to push yourself way out of throw range, so you arenā€™t a huge threat anymore and the only threat you have at that point is re offense once again, or a simple poke that will now do an extra 30 damage.

Not that grey damage is negligible, but it really ainā€™t all that good. Like if you are playing against someone better than you or at the very least on the same level, youā€™ll be wanting something better than grey damage bolstering your offenseā€¦ unless you just like to lose because you are doing piddly damage.

Throws are good and they are the foundation of offense same as pokes are the foundation of footsies. Make throws weak like in sf5 and you get shit like high level sf5 where you see people like tokido doing 6 or 7 blockstrings before they go for a throw. Thatā€™s trash and allows people to be way to complacent on defense hiding behind walking out of throw range and late techs and mashing jab.

What is this about?

Blizzard announced a mobile version of Diablo 2 made by a chinese devoloper at BlizzCon and this fan asked if it was an out of season april fools joke

9 Likes

*checks thread to catch up after hiatus

*sees Dime complaining about throws

Business as usual. No need to check the back logs

1 Like

This season all the throws damage were increased while the possibility of loops is gone. The gray damage recovering slowly makes them dangerous enough imo, it was their choice to not focus the meta on throws. Then some throws are more threatening than others (i.e. YZ backthrow doing 160dmg), but I donā€™t want Capcom to open another can of worms.

The solution is clearl. Buff SPD damage and range.

1 Like

So im curious as to what the majority of the community wants as far as balance changes going forward. Not that weā€™d get it. I donā€™t think Capcom jp listens to anyone or anything and i havenā€™t seen a presence in the community like haunts or combo since they left.

Are we looking to-

Just give everyone silly vtriggers or making them all as silly as possible

Or

Nerf some aspects of the TT/problem characters that have crazy triggers so either the trigger isnt as good or the characters arent as good pre trigger

Or

Just buff the hell out of the neutral versions of bad vtrigger characters

Arguments could be made for any of those scenarios. Im just wondering what most people think would produce the best game. I mean i dont think they are going to touch the dashes or buttons or zoning tools in any way that changes the offensive nature of sfv so i think we may as well look into how the rest of the game revolves around vtrigger

Japanese players steam rolling the Brazilian players at the open premier here. :frowning:

1 Like

I knew about the mobile version of Diablo but not about that guy calling out the developers.

Nice.

1 Like

Itā€™s an odd move for a company like Blizzard to show off a purely-for-profit game at a fan expo.

At least Overwatch gets a new waifu.

Yeah this is a different game and a different time. Throws that do more damage or are better in any real way with the white chip system wonā€™t fly on twitter. That will surely get called out until itā€™s nerfed again. Plus Tokido doing 6 or 7 block strings before he throws you means that throw will do at least 200 damage and if you choke up a throw tech on a shimmy or get counter hit/CCā€™d the damage will be in the 3 to 350ā€™s with oki.

The way the throws work at this point perfectly lead into other scenarios that do huge damage so they are about where they should be. Anything further would just cause social media whining until itā€™s nerfed back to where it is. Too many top players are complaining about the throw game as it is for Capcom to budge. Itā€™s a pretty hard system at this point. If you want better throws wait for SF6 because it is what itā€™s going to be in V.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been out of this game for a while, and I am scrub at the lowest ranks of this game, but Iā€™m actually somewhat appreciating the game since I came back.

The only thing Iā€™d like is for defensive movement to be a little more free, maybe have back walk speed increased for everyone, a little more push back on block, and take the CC state off back-dashes. If they could adjust the block boxes to limit proximity blocking, Iā€™d appreciate that too.

Iā€™d also love the see the netcode get fixed. Itā€™s been okay for me so far, but I hate it when moves show that they hit but then the damage goes back up and the character is mid-air jumping towards you when it resets in a few frames.

1 Like

This will all be prefaced with ā€œif we get itā€ because weā€™re not going to get any of this shit in itā€™s entirety. Maybe specific aspects of certain triggers or moves might change, but as usual no sweeping change and just new stuff that people didnā€™t ask for.

Well if you use silly then thatā€™s a word nobody likes because it explains ā€œrandmonessā€ or not winning legit. If you forget about whatā€™s honest then yeah, everyone having silly v triggers is better than Ryu and Vega dealing with silly v triggers that they have no hope of answering back with. R.Mika was bad in A3 but she at least had silly V ism stuff when it was her time to pop off. A3 Rose the same.

As long as they donā€™t cripple basic tools of those characters, sure. Some fantasy world where the top tiers are suddenly just as honest as everyone under them would be great. Not happening unless some S1 upside down shit happens, but yeah. The game is at a point now where if youā€™re good youā€™re going to stay good. The worst that happens is you go slightly down like S2 Cammy or S3 Karin. Top 5 will likely stay top 10 at worst.

They donā€™t really show that they care to buff the neutral outside of very dire things like anti airs and fixing delay. I donā€™t think weā€™re going to be seeing sweeping changes of hit boxes so this is pretty much not happening. Other than the lower tiers getting cheaper mix ups or cheaper triggers their neutral will stay where it is. It would be nice if this happened, but is the least likely to happen.

Im not saying we give throw loops to every character,

I donā€™t see whatā€™s wrong with Sagat shitting on grapplers. Thatā€™s what heā€™s been doing since the beginning. SF is about polarizing matchups and forcing you to use more than one character unless youā€™re playing one of the versatile top tiers. Grappler characters traditionally have to try to win matchups that by the numbers are near insurmountable and require playing another character to help circumvent. Even in SFIV Snake Eyez had E.Ryu for some matchups. You canā€™t have traditional grapplers without those polarizing things. Itā€™s just SF. T.Hawk lost like 3 7 to Blanka.

Good characters being simple to play was quite a thing in other games. Itā€™s just later games after the old ones have a lot of very manual stuff in them which inadvertently makes some of the good characters harder to play. Like in 3S two of the top 3 characters are also the easiest characters to play in the game. Alpha 2 Rose is probably the easiest and best character in the game. ST Claw isnā€™t particularly difficult to play and basically the gameā€™s best character and so on.

When it comes down to it hard or easy to play, top tiers are still top tier and still do cheap things that other characters canā€™t do. Maybe it helps casual/online play a bit if the top tiers are harder to use, but then it just makes it so top players are the only ones understanding what the cheap stuff is. I like it better when top tiers are more transparent. That way you donā€™t have people living in different worlds (and even then Ryu and Sagat are still played all day online).

I still think V-Triggers as a comeback mechanic should go. IMO they should just nerf them to the ground. Falke or Sagat have good but not game-changing Triggers. Thatā€™s the strength level they should be aiming for.

Also make all of them three bars so we donā€™t have that two Triggers per round nonsense anymore.

4 Likes

Yeah I think what people are looking for are triggers that donā€™t seal/end rounds as often. More part of the gameplay instead of having the ability to end the round. Thatā€™s not going to change though. 2 bar triggers are staying also. Thatā€™s part of the variety in their eyes is different triggers having different strength levels and resource management. Most 3 bar triggers are ones that are designed for coming back any way (some are just bad at it for whatever reason).

Not going to lie, Overwatchā€™s new character interest meā€¦to the point I might buy itā€¦dear god

why not aim for Guile? Heā€™s crazy strong despite not having a crazy Trigger, Iā€™d like for more characters to have great buttons, walkspeed and fireballs