SFV Lounge: Makoto is coming for sure. F2P definitely. RIP Pertho's doggy

Probably when the movelist becomes a gigantic part of my learning experience, over training advanced things and feeling an improvement. If the entry barrier is like 80% committing things to memory, I can’t be arsed. It turns into an occupation, or more like actual studying. Tekken primarily. I managed to get down most of SCs movelists and they average around 40-60. Which is acceptable to me, Tekken goes to around 120, so learning a matchup can’t really be done entirely until you know what’s going on.

Took me about a month to learn my own characters stuff decently, as well as 2 other matchups. I got bored because I didn’t win off of any kind of decisive play when it wasn’t against the 3 MUs I knew. And spending a week trying to get each MU down didn’t sound fun, that’s over half a year to get the very basics down, assuming it only takes around a week to fully lab everything vs. someone.

1 Like

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say SF5 has been decently profitable for Capcom so far.

3 Likes

I think they made good money on costumes. 4 euro per costume is not cheap but if you got people like me, you will skip steak in favour for macaroni and cheese to get all dem costumes for Juri.

The good life…

1 Like

About 90% of the knowledge you actually need in Tekken can be chunked. Knowing that reduces the amount of labwork you need to do accordingly. The nitty-gritty case-by-case details are things you won’t need for like the first year of playing. There are a few exceptions to this, and it’s a big part of why Eddy, Yoshimitsu and Hwoarang in particular can go fuck themselves (shoutouts to Alisa, Lei, Anna and Nina as well), but for well over 80% of the cast you can just look at what moves they’re using and how those moves look visually, and use that tl figure out how to move and how to punish from that alone. I’m not even exaggerating here, I’ve been playing actively for 18-20 months now and only now do I feel like I need to start to lab specific stuff.

Movement in Tekken is its own beast though. I don’t blame anyone for being turned off by that, you either like it or you don’t, even though most people practice movement completely wrong when starting out.

Sigh. I wish Tekken actually tried teaching players a lot of these concepts, but noooo, Harada says tutorials and frame data ruins everything. Bleh.

3 Likes

Sf 4.

My 09er friends are so proud they had to lab combos like jab jab jab special for 30 minutes everyday because of the 1 frame links.

I love tekken. Played it since I was a kid but i really hate korean back dash.

I watched so many tutorials and tried but still can’t get it. Its infuriating.

3 Likes

Provided you have the option: try switching controller. If you’re usually playing fighters on stick (in particular japanese ones), KBD is a lot harder than on pad or keyboard.

Lots of people have said it but it’s also SF4 to me. The numerous option selects were not fun to learn or deal with, it just felt there was such an abundance of them that it took me out of the experience. If I’m being honest I do prefer SFV a lot over 4 even with its main flaws.

4 Likes

Knowing the movelist and memorizing matchups is hella exaggerated when it comes to Tekken. There are the odd ball cases like lei or yoshi(or that bitch zafina) that should lab a bit, but you can eyeball punishable shit.

Tekken is more about player vs player tendencies and movement than character matchups.

But Tekken is still hard. Game doesn’t teach you shit either.

2 Likes

I don’t know what they were smoking but damn…

5 Likes

Whenever MK4 content gets posted I cant help but post Jax’s ending

I can’t just reference it faithfully or say the lines and be done with it, if you havent seen it then you just have watch the ending because it’s the Jax ending in MK4

12 Likes

Oh ive got something better lmao, check Quan’s reaction at the end.

5 Likes

The SF series never had an MK4, and for that we must thank the Capgods forever.

There is this one too

Quan Chi slap + Sub Zero’s scream makes me die of laughter every time :joy:

2 Likes

SF series had an MK4, it’s the terrible EX.

You’re kidding right? First of all, EX wasn’t developed by Capcom. Second, SFEX+@ is an excellent fighting game and SF game.

4 Likes

Nah i’m not. It’s a terrible game imo.

1 Like

You’re opinion is worthless.

2 Likes

Look at me, I care about what you just said.

SFEX ending isn’t bad like Quan’s NOOOO! lol

EX Plus Alpha was mad fun at the time, trust me. I would’ve been more patient about Makoto if Garuda was in SFV. Bison there was amazing, Psycho Cannon was mad satisfying to execute full charged.

Edit: I forgot the soundtracks, probably my favorite ones ever.

3 Likes