SFV Lounge: Makoto is coming for sure. F2P definitely. RIP Pertho's doggy

to appeal to casuals for the initial buy? yes! to keep them playing for years to roll a f2p type game? not really. it wouldnt work out with the current content they offer. the mobile game seems to be doing fine so it might be worth a look at how it works to get some clues…

1 Like

MK is built and sold like a full product. They have the gear system there for F2P and casuals. But even if you stripped that out you have a full featured $60 product.

SFV really wasn’t that way. It was a F2P styles game… that sold for $60.

Keeping casuals is always going to be hard as long as the generic gameplay in fighting games is difficult. As mentioned above, Smash is about the only game to sidestep this problem.

i agree on that part. nr games in itself as a product are worth the price they ask for especially in comparison to sfv. there is nothing to argue about. i just picked up on the make fighting games f2p part and make that work.

brawlhalla does seem to do fine when you look at the numbers but as i said the gameplay is so different you cant really do the same for current ips. so you have to offer something else to appeal and build up a long term “relationship”. its not easy with fighting games alone due to the limited amount of people who are interested in the genre.

Yes but, and the big reason for that is the raw gameplay is hard, even in SFV.

Take a simple link like sMP>cMP>Hado with a character. That shit is easy, however, to someone new to fighting games that is daunting. They will struggle to learn it and fail to do it in a match and get mad. To them it feels as though the game is arbitrarily locking itself out to them.

NRS games strings also help deal with this as even the most casual players can get something that feels real to happen.

2 Likes

thats the issue with current ips. imagine sf would go the mk combo route or dbfz auto combo style. people would go apeshit about it. a new ip would be required and after mvci i actually think that it would be the best thing capcom can do when they want to have more then one fighting game in theire lineup. with all the other ip´s they bring into sfv in form of costumes a capcom allstar game is not even that far away but i am not sure if they will be “brave” enough to go such a new route.

bending sf down will not work out in my opinion.

4 Likes

It worked for KT. Dead or Alive 5 core fighters you might not think about it, but it was a massive hit and basically funded the whole development of DoA6. Didn’t bring in the hardcore players, it brought in the ultra casual fanbase, like I believe the number is 15 million+ unique users.

4 Likes

I run into more randos that play DOA or MK than SF by a fuckton. Gotta get them casuals hooked.

1 Like

Problem with SF was they tried to milk it. If they just splashed a bit of cash…

All they needed was a damn story mode and some arcade modes to get the new players hooked. Dumb asses.

8 Likes

I don’t think it would work even. All that stuff is fundamental to what makes SF SF.

I would rather they just cut out the bullshit no one cares about and sell it like a $20 product, like they did with KI.

Or go F2P and go ham with customization stuff ala KI or IJ2 or DoA5. $60 is a lot to ask from most people for what SF will offer them.

Ah, the discussion loop is back here again.

…at least if it turns out there’s no other characters this season we have plenty to talk about

Funny enough it wasn’t even SFV that sparked my initial comment it was another game that just reminded me of it.

All depends on what you’re expecting to happen, personally I have a reason to be anxious about the upcoming stuff in S4, but probably I wouldn’t in the same manner if I were fully satisfied with the product. Few months ago I had 3 big problems with SFV, input lag, netcode and Makoto absence. Capcom solved the first one, I’m waiting for the other two.

Akuma should be top tier because hes a boss from SF2 and hes edgy. Also Fang is one of the big bois that work for Vega-Sama. Please respect the fucking lore and buff these guys!!!

Hi guys, Cipher here. I play BlazBlue, did you know? It’s so much better than this game. You are all beneath me. Here’s two paragraphs about why I dropped SF for anime.

5 Likes

You forgot the large obnoxious anime reaction image

1 Like

whatever

13 Likes

There you go~

he cut himself free from sf after what he endured in sf4 and 5, give him some slack :bee:
ps:he is right about bb :coffee:

Gutsman balrog costume coming on the 15th.http://shoryuken.com/2019/02/07/guts-man-crossover-costume-for-balrog-coming-to-street-fighter-v-arcade-editions-extra-battle-on-february-15th/

I wish I knew what character was next if one at all I have almost 100k in fm and considered trying out kage but I’d hate to then someone I actually like be announced at Evo Japan. Not saying they will just got a feeling they will.

2 Likes

I remeber when BB was the garbage game…

The wheel of fate keeps turning, and the cycle continues…

3 Likes