SFV Lounge: Makoto is coming for sure. F2P definitely. RIP Pertho's doggy

You terrify me.

Serious face: what kind of stick is that?

1 Like

It is a custom stick made by a local company, 2nd Impact.
I will see if for my next one they can make the case on carbon steel or something like that.

Hmm… I have always used the MadCatz TE sticks and they are sturdy as shit.

I have have had some salty episode to test that too…

Poor Abi, has to use meter like every other shit tier character in the game. My heart bleeds.

The problem is the TT get everything and it makes the low tier look even worse.

4 Likes

For anyone interested, bbtag patch notes

https://arcsystemworks.com/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-02-05-patch-notes/

Craziness is getting nerfed a good bit through universal mechanic nerfs/buffs but characters are still getting buffed up. Pretty solid looking patch

Oh, gord got hit pretty hard by the nerf bat though. His attacks dont hit full screen and all angles anymore lol.

Kinda weird that i really like what i’m seeing from MK11 so far yet i’m not really into MK as a franchise.

Movement feels better for some reason.Thinking of picking it up, they added Sub so i’m good,now if they add Jade and Mileena all is perfect.

1 Like

Anyone up to play for a bit?

The TT need to get the Abigail treatment. I dont think a single character in the game got nerfed this hard through these years. Yikes.

Worse at brawling too. Lol.

To be fair, Abi ain’t awful. The patch just didn’t make sense.

I’ll play

Well I’m on now.

Invite sent

Left a slot open since I see Tables typing

I was about to suggest that. :slight_smile:

I ended up having a lot of time to think about this since I wasn’t gonna be able to respond for a couple of hours. That usually leads to me doing a fully charged Metro Crash but with words. This time is no different. I apologize to scrolling in advance.

Biggest thing to note is that I’m still trying to actually internalize all this stuff and I’m not trying to come off as a know-it-all about any of it. See all the times I gleefully leap into Ed’s upkick or Ken’s DP in my matches as proof. And I know you’ve put your time in so I’m not trying to talk down or anything. This is me typing things out to make sure they make sense, and for anyone who has been in my shoes in the past that may be reading this. Maybe it’ll help them out.

I don’t play a lot but I do read a bunch and watch a lot of videos - matches and tutorials. One of the consistent things I’ve noticed is that the players that do the best consistently do so by most of the time playing patiently while remaining engaged, but not over-extending. Varies by character of course but even on offense it is important to not get too eager and over extend or commit.

Offensively this helps cut down on the times when you can’t AA either because you are actually tied up in another action, or because you weren’t mentally ready to AA because you were too focused on what you were going to do next.

Defensively this is really important because it gives you more time to keep an eye on the skies and AA or check dashes. You can’t just sit there waiting around but you also can’t constantly be playing active defense because you’re opening yourself up for not being able to react to a jump or dash.

Part of that is from watching Akhos while we play. I ate a lot of AAs before I really started to notice that especially on offense he is willing to take little pauses to be ready for jump ins. Some of that is recognizing when I want to jump but some of it also seems to be a recognition that trying to press offense over and over can be dangerous (that is also how you walk/punch into a lot of random EX moves/CAs/normals).

So the quick and easy takeaway is: stop fucking jumping. Its not going to buy me anything when the other person is clearly looking for it, and anyways I’m usually jumping because I don’t have any better ideas and I’m nervous on the ground.

Playing on the ground more naturally opens up the air. If you aren’t jumping it can leave your opponent’s mental RAM which may make them miss an AA. If you can throw enough other options at them, it can overwhelm their ability to watch and deal with everything correctly.

But the biggest thing is staying grounded is going to be way more consistent. If you can set up a good poke game, zoning, in out, whatever, that is something maintainable as opposed to gambling with dashes and jumps overmuch.

Part of trying to learn to play better has been realizing that my understanding of jumping and dashing was flawed. At low levels I did it a lot because duh. Then I clammed up and would AA/check stuff until people died, then when I went on the offense just pausing slightly before dashing or jumping would work.

The next step is recognizing when the other player is going to be able to handle that and not goddamn doing it over and over until I die. I would much rather be the rock they break against than the other way around.

Again varies a lot by character. Mika for example is a real fuckhead in the air thanks to splash. But in general is way better to find a collected ground approach - note this can and usually does still include plenty of dumb YOLO shit but in this beautiful game that can sometimes be safer than jumping. It leaves you in a really good place offensively and defensively, though it is really fucking hard in this game, at least for me due to how twitchy you need to be to react to dashes and such.

That was a really long way of saying “Yes I am trying to jump at better spots and confuse defensive options, but more than anything else I’m trying to just not jump very much at all so it is less expected.” :smile:

One of the reasons I still play this game for all the goofy shit that drives me crazy is that it still has street fightery stuff like this in it.

I say that before I lose the next 50 games to Ed footises and rushdown then uninstall and just play Jump Force like the sad sack I am.

3 Likes

Appreciate it but I am fucking wiped from too many late nights and early mornings. Gonna take tonight to refresh. :sleepy:

Next time :fist_right: :fist_left:

Same Miria.

What are you trying to ask?

It’s cause it looks less like a cluster fuck. I’m getting the same vibes.

You know what helped me past the ultra gold and plat hurdle? Working on my ground game and AAs.

I’d force myself to not jump. Just walk, check dashes and AA. I won way more than I thought I would. This was S2 when I was playing Cammy/Balrog and was hardstuck gold.

May not work for everyone, but it really forced me to get comfortable with my defense and ground game.

2 Likes

I have the same feeling when I watch footage. It’s still MK but I like what I’m seeing with the pace and the flow.

Scarlet gameplay got me :thinking: