SFV Lounge: Makoto is coming for sure. F2P definitely. RIP Pertho's doggy

Chunking makes this a non-issue tbh. Besides the chaining system makes the general flow kinda easy to memorize.

I’ve been trying my best to get over this and stop being a bitch. Getting salty over having to learn can make the experience sour for both players. That being said I also can’t deny myself the emotional outbursts either. Pookie washes me clean and I’m just like fuck this nigga! I still come back everyday for that ass whoppin though. I’m literally addicted to losing its fucking maddening lol

1 Like

I’ve seen you play Ken and get 1 hit confirms on the reg and I’ve seen you hit some pretty solid Menat combos.

Not my fault if you wanted to tap out and be lazy about it now. :stuck_out_tongue: Also one his specials involves hitting forward and a button so there is your execution.

1 Like

Alex VT2 is like that- it’s perfectly serviceable in certain matchups, but VT1 is ALWAYS good so why even bother with 2?

1 Like

Like I said, once you understand them it’s no big deal, but to someone who doesn’t play them… it’s intimidating. Especially, more casual players. That’s why some many have some hyper simplified basic/auto combo structure.

Example, high damage Kolin BnB:

sHP,EX Hands, (delay), EX light Vanity>P, LP hands

Here is my current Jiren BNB:

2L,2m,5m,JC,jl,jm(1),JC,jl,jm,jh+assist,dash+jump,jl,jm,2S,SD,jl,jm,SD,jl,jm,JC,jl,jm(2),jS+Assist,2S,SD,jl,jm,JC,jl,jm,2S,2H, 236A+B.

That second one isn’t hard, but fuck if that doesn’t look intimidating.

This is great.

Still better to have both trigger worth being using to some degree rather than one being pretty much unusable compared to the other. There’s a lot less of that now with the current VT changes.

Anime/Marvel bnbs are basically like reading sheet music for people. Once you get into reading sheet levels of bnb theory it stops becoming interesting to learn for those that don’t already love that kinda thing.

Which is why SFV on the other hand is easy to get into because outside of specific characters like Urien, Ibuki or Menat the bnb theory is like on Alpha 2 or 3S Alex levels.

3 Likes

I’m not gonna lie… I really hate that “BnB Theory” term you are using.

But that’s exactly it, many players don’t want to deal with stuff like that.

On top of that, games like GG and BB have deferent BnBs for different starters. Again, none of it is hard, but if you are uninitiated, it looks a lot scarier than SFs, “learn that one link”.

Weirdly, the opposite is true for anime players playing SF.

1 Like

This confirms that you are a big Julia Roberts fan

3 Likes

Gief’s VT2 is almost usable now.
But why use it when VT1 is made of pure robbery?
Carmen Sandiego would be proud of how much VT1 has robbed since SFV inception!

1 Like

Yeah VT1 shores up Gief’s main issue of no longer having green hand neutral robbery (hop kick was the only thing that got close and of course nerfed). Gief being able to make you come to him into setplay is really really strong.

1 Like

Just ask Cammy if he can borrow hers since she’s not using it anyway.

1 Like

Anime also tends to recycle a lot of combo elements across characters. Once you can 2M, 5M, jc, jLL… with one character, you can do it for most of the cast.

Less so in SF games where there usually aren’t any universal chains.

2 Likes

If you can get to the point where you can make the sheet music fun, then it’s fine. That really is it though. The length of the bnbs get to the point where someone new has to constantly look at the sheet to finish the bnb. Just like how it’s easier to remember 7 digits in short term than 23 digits in short term.

If you get past that point at least in certain newer Marvel/Anime games a lot of your bnbs can just be extensions of the same starter. Guilty Gear has more of the OG sheet music stuff where your starters are going to be different per character and bnbs vary wildly between character as well.

1 Like

Ehhhh, Air Chains are pretty generic, there isn’t much of a learning curve.

Once you understand that the basic flow is something like: Starter -> Chain into (Launcher -> Air Combo) Ender, it gets pretty simple.

BB is that way too, which is why you didn’t see people with aleternate characters for a long time.

This has a side effect of making you really focus on you character that doesn’t really exist in other games.

Smash Melee has the best execution balance for my money. Nothing in that game is even slightly hard to execute, but there is almost no limit to how far you can push things.

1 Like

In MvC3 or DBZ sure, but there really are not such rules for GG or BB. Or at the very least the rules are character specific.

Yeah it’s not hard in the long term, but for the short term it’s why KI made it’s combos ultra simple also (and even simpler going into S2). BnBs that basically do themselves are easier for people than manual stuff that they have to read and learn.

The bnbs in anime games read out like sheet music or memorization questions on a test and that gives newer players that “gotta learn shit” feeling they don’t like.

Man SFV has cave man level execution but I still cant reliably do some of Kolin’s VT2 shit because I 1. Play on analog and 2. It’s hard lol

There’s some max level punish shit Kolin has in V2 that is legit but requires weird delay timings and being able to us her slide when an opponent is close to landing. And I cant use the bitch made routs because I either get nothing off of it or it just doesn’t work.

1 Like

Question, is there a good list of Kolin VT2 BS? Everything seems so fragmented and scattered all over?