SFV lounge: London we have a Problem X. SFV gave us the Burger King again

Yeah, exactly. The advice shouldn’t be “don’t do X, ever, you’ll eventually understand why”, it should be “do not rely on X as your only way of winning”. Unfortunately the latter isn’t something that can typically be explained. You usually need it beaten into you.

Oh, and speaking of Dolphin Dive. At the local CapCup viewing party, our local Birdie shook his head after watching one MenaRD-game and said “this Birdie is ass. So he’s gonna win the tournament”, then he called out every single EX dolphin dive that was done over the next two games. All of those dives hit. They both knew exactly when to pull them out.

3 Likes
Too Soon

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309071771255046155/493583088547528713/1zcm4w5cw1o11.png

3 Likes

You know what’s weird. They say a lot that how you play reflects a lot about your personality. I think there is some weight to this statement since for example, i like to be in control and generally isn’t about taking risk so i felt more comfortable with Chun and even with Mika, i played a very passive Mika. Not playing lame but just holding my ground.

Now you can see that Tokido for example is a person who seem to be kinda of a perfectionist. He strikes me as someone who like to strike with precison, have logical decision making and just very optimal in almost everything he does and you can see that reflected in how he plays.

Infiltration plays a hit and run style, what you may call a cowardly style in a way, i find it weird that someone who just always like to hit and run would have the guts to have done what he is being accused of doing, then again beating on wife/women is a very cowardly act so who knows.

3 Likes

I remember going to locals and occasionally running into Juicebox, and his advice sounded really enlightening because he was obviously way better than me and could hand me my ass on a platter. The more I learned and played, however, the more I found his advice to be the “Don’t do x, it’s bad, you’ll understand eventually” type. This was especially noticeable when I’d play him in MK9 or SCV, where he dabbled, and he’d get frustrated at losing to basic strategies and claim “This is working now, but it won’t later, and it’s frustrating to put up with.”

He seems to have grown out of it, which I’ll give props for, but man, for awhile it was like he really felt he had ascended above having to play someone else’s game or put up with strategies he found inferior.

I think it only expands so far into the totality of your personality. Definite things about people’s personalities that show up in fighting games like how certain types people always like the big characters (they’re usually big themselves or just to play characters that bully/grab others).

Infil I think goes deeper into other stuff. From what I’ve read and from what others are supposing, he likely had fetishes that led to what he seems to have done to his wife. I mean he did like his waifus, but I think you really need some other deep shit happening to you outside of how your personality comes about in fighters to lead to this.

Well, I’m a full offense kind of player, I like to overwhelm my opponents 'cuz I feel good enough to do it, but I can’t even imagine to raise a finger over a woman to beat her. I’m like Sanji man.

The ‘‘EVO 2019 main lineup’’ logo, really does round up the image nicely.

2 Likes

Nah, doesn’t surprise me at all that nobody saw the Infil shit coming. If you’ve got personality traits like that, you get good at hiding them until you’re in a position where you don’t think it can blow back on you. I’ve seen similar stuff happen in my circles. Nobody really even suspected anything before it really blew up.

As for the “playstyle reflects personality”-stuff, it’s pretty often true. Not only in fighting games, but most games. I usually play straightforward strategies based on flexibility and control. Works well for someone who’s quite risk-averse and cares more about getting things done than being flashy.

2 Likes

This is true. Recent situation that happened 10 minutes from neighborhood where a pathological liar led people on for years and then killed his wife outta nowhere and called cops saying someone killed his wife. Cops eventually figured out he killed his wife and then he hung himself in jail before he could go to trial.

1 Like

Infiltration looks like a person who wants to have total control over things, his playstyle reflects space control,playing hit & run is for limiting the other player room of movements, like tying someone else. Remember what his ex-wife said about him being a sadist? You lost control of yourself when you don’t have control over the other person. Infiltration frustrated the opponents since SF4, but every time the opponent is able to go big on him he can’t keep the pressure losing bad.

If there was a way to relate the fighting game aspect of him to whatever he did to his wife I guess that gets somewhere around the rim.

That’s what I was alluding to overall as being a sadist is a form of fetish whether or not it’s relatable to what he does in fighters.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite. In general I’m a quiet person who loves good company and all, but when there’s competition on line I’m constantly want to show up fearless, preferring flashy shit over a more patient and calculate approach. I love to make the opponent feel stupid to even try, was like that in every sport I’ve done, it’s like that in every FG I’ve played. I choose always characters able to kill quickly with swag, when I face someone able to slow me down I began struggling.

That isn’t much better. Better would be, “don’t abuse (insert move) because it’s borderline reactable / heavily punishable if predicted / is inferior to option B except…” etc. Or at least, “but do explore your character’s other options for a rainy day MU.”

Sure, but I wouldn’t go so far to connect criminal behavior to character choice or playstyle.

I like zoning, but I got a lot of compliments from online strangers on my Makoto. (Possibly because I picked my shots moreso than the berserkers who usually played her?) Which is why I find GetTheTables’s adventures with Laura so interesting.

3 Likes

Ok so, Falke is mad boring to look at ( gameplay, not her looks ) , but i’m enjoying playing her for some odd reason.

I’m getting accidental DPS for days by mistake though,not used to this kind of special moves.

2 Likes

Yeah, playstyle’s not something that universally reflects personality obviously, but I have a bunch of other anecdotes where it does.

The best example is probably a guy I played a bunch of chess with at uni. He was the sort of guy that’s good at understanding theory and was very imaginative, but wasn’t very good at seeing obvious problems. You’d see that both in theoretical discussions (he’d get overly excited about the potential of some technology, I’d usually point out the roadblocks in reply) and in his chess / M:tG-play (he’d have crazy attacking plans that were occasionally brilliant but often fell flat on its face). He wasn’t interested in pragmatism, he wanted to do cool shit and was willing to lose a bunch of times for one flashy win every once in a while. He did the same stuff with his degree; he did some electron microscopy-shit for his material science degree for the sole reason that it was fucking awesome, and then joined a somewhat unrelated start-up for the sole reason that it sounded fun.

2 Likes

Also, on the Falke topic.

Her vskill is terrible or i still don’t use it properly ? I mean,i look at Menat’s and its basically Falke’s , but good.

Delete this

Also free Bill Cosby

3 Likes

It only becomes useful once she’s in vttigger. Pre trigger it’s once of the more useless skills

1 Like

neat

4 Likes