SFV Lounge: Ken is high mid. Kage is barely mid. F2P still coming

1st The whole discussion is that DR and PR are not really LATAM.
2nd in SFV Brolynho can happen to beat Iniltration once. Doesn’t really make Brolynho good, you know what would? him getting resoults at literally any major ever.

That was the cleanest “I don’t care” known to man.

If Capcom would choose to re-used there past 2D versus game assets as an engine to make a whole new SF spin-off game, Which one would you prefer to?

e.g. MVC2, CVS1, CVS2 and etc?

The funny thing about all of your examples is that the vast majority of the playtime isn’t what you mentioned happening. The best team in MvC2, Santhrax, isn’t really going to get its wins through infinite or constant unblockables (it could with Sentinel but ain’t trying to do all that), instead it just wins through really solid lame play.

You can go down the line with all of those games and find that what’s really great about them is that the midscreen play is good and rewarding. You also have options for when you’re blocking. Outside of SF4’s knockdown horse shit, in those games you spend more time navigating neutral than blocking or knocked down.

So yeah, SF5 sucks.

Well easy summary. Dime has so many troubles setting up a basic mixup game of high/low/throw.
That he wants safe all purpose tools for this.
He also wants to turtle effective and mix his opponent that way up, without having to ever take one risk during the entire match.

I mean it’s a playstyle thats very effective in low level play and gets worse over time, since people stop running into everything.

I guess you could say, he’s hitting a wall and wants an easy way out.

1 Like

So @Evil_Canadian is a big fan of it then? :smirk:

And that should be a valid play style, it was in a lot of older games and especially in mvc2 ironically. It’s just that you made your offense safe with assist that you then had to turn around and try to cover and protect.

I mean Street fighter imo has been built on neutral or footies as well as safe calculated pressure until you baited your opponent into big damage with risker pressure.

S4 and SF5 kind of turns that on its head, outside of a handful of characters.

And being someone that in all games for the most part prefers the lame/ slow control placed even in rush down games. Sf4/sf5 have been trash…

With that said I do think if you can play effectively play sf4/sf5 then you can play any fighter at a high level. Especially 5

Maybe you shouldn’t play SF then, since that wasn’t valid since SF3 anymore.
Alpha 3 wasn’t even close to this either.
SFIV Meta is pretty much, throw jabs out, till you can get a knockdown, then go unga bunga with Vortex.

I mean if you want to play lame, thats your choice, but don’t complain if your opponent doesn’t fall for it.
Thats pretty much Dime in a nutshell, sounds more like he can’t adjust, more than the style being not valid.
Oh wait thats SFV we talk about.
Wait a Minute, JWong came up with an extreme lame Menat style and everyone was instantly “Nerf this shit!” even on this board here.
DsJWJwhXoAA1N_p

Why do people keep complaining that countries like Brazil and South American countries get screwed when a content like Africa is royally fucked with zero chances being given. Even the middle east as a whole, guys like Big bird and Angry Bird are there cause of the UAE and Gulf oil money, so they are rich as fuck but other north African countries like Egypt to Morocco never get to see the light of day and aren’t rich enough to go everywhere like the UAEs and Saudis.

As a matter of fact, PLG did hold a Tekken event here and the dude that won it, they took him to a tournament in Tiwan i believe (The one Gamerbee was organizing ) and he got to played there and even beaten Channel the Korean player in that tournament.

And ofcourse you all heard of the Pakistani player who beat Knee, there are very strong players all over the world, just not all are fortunate enough to live in an area where they get a chance to show for it.

10 Likes

Yeah that definitely puts things in perspective. I can drive/train ride a couple states over for some action.

This “why games suck” conversation is exactly why the jokes about, hating the current game and loving the previous game, exist.

You could teleport to any point in FGC history and you would probably hear similar discussions about the games of the moment.

We always remeber things more strongly than they really were, especially if they were something you were familiar with.

6 Likes

1st I know how geography works, BUT before Mena was able to qualify for Capcom Cup through NA events, most of the DR players competed in LATAM events to be able to qualify either.

2nd Brolinho did it once and he was the first at doing that so convincingly. Good or not, probably he can slap our asses with ease, I wouldn’t be so disrespectful towards LATAM players in general. Outside Brolinho they have good players too (i.e. Keoma), but the fact they probably can’t travel that much affects their possibilities to compete on bigger stages. They’ve also give Japanese problems when they went there during the SF4 days, they’re not free for sure.

Exactly my point. Some players are very skilled, but they just can’t afford trips like many sponsored players. World is bigger than y’all think.

1 Like

What? You couldn’t play lame (safe) in sf3? Because I sure did, and it was “Super effective” the over all point is a player could express themselves more in older titles. There’s a reason one cost was known for being lame and turtley.

Ask yourself now what each coast or region is known for now, at one point even japan was known for being patience, clean and calculated. Now literally through all games outside of the few stand out players EVERYONE plays almost exactly a like. Its just who is better at playing it more consistently and that’s why fighters imo are getting more and more stale to watch… eg: Dragon Ball Fighterz

Maybe he can’t adjust but lame (safe) play has effectively been boxed out, and the sad thing is lame (safe) play imo is what promotes truth player growth. Especially to others coming up that have to play against it.

We have more tool and resources than ever to deal with safe play and how to deal with it, yet every character and game released is focused on some 50/50 mix up into setplay.

1 Like

Lmao I love this dude

Its not jokes though.

I hated sf4, I still do, I dislike what sf5 is, but I still enjoy playing it.

Most older fighters are held in higher regard because they are stable and tested, you know what you are going to get and that’s that.

Outside of a handful of truly just trash versions of games most older fighters (pre sf4) are enjoyed.

But I do remember all the way back to mvc1 people hating on new stuff. Especially with mvc2 and boy oh boy look at it now.

KOF 2k2 has always been inferior to KOF98 in every single way since it’s release and this is a truth set on stone! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

SF3 and play lame, when Yun and Makoto are both Top and both unga to the max.
Sure, watch some a-cho and tell me again lame play is a good idea in that game.

I don’t give a fuck how everyone plays in SF and DBSZ.
If you would ask me now, I would say everyone online played the same and still plays the same.
Cause duh, flowchart gives ma pointz, shows me god player duh!

DBSZ was build to have everyone play the same, they keep patching out unique stuff to make everyone the same.
SFV and it’s character were made that every char has ONE specific playstyle and role to fullfill.
Every character in Tekken plays the same, use the same tools and even have the same tools that are needed.

Go play something outside of your mainstream box, you might find what you look for.

And in 10 years people will be saying the same things about SFV.

I’m gonna sound like a grumpy old shit, but I haven’t been playing fighting games as long as many people and even I have been through this cycle/seen this conversation more than a few times. Examples in my past:

BB sucks GG was better
SF3 sucks alpha was better
SF4 sucks SF3 was better
MvC3 sucks, MvC2 was better
GGxrd sucks, GG#AC was better
DBFZ sucks, Xrd was better
SFV sucks, SF4 was better
KI sucks, SF4 was better
MvCi sucks MvC3 was better
P4A sucks BB was better (I agree with this one but I’m a petty human too)

Seriously you can pick practically any game out there, because every new game asks people to drop what they know and are comfortable with and move to something new.

I’m calling it a joke because most people now are pointing it out to be funny or get a rise out of people. It’s very similar to the old “PC master race” comment… which is a joke, but some people take it very seriously.

Another example, how many times in just the last thread have you hear someone say something to the effect of “SFxT wasn’t that bad, I thought it was almost great”. I can think of few games as reviled as SFxT during its prime, and its standing has been slowly climbing in people’s memories for a while.

9 Likes

You conveniently left out chun li and Ken, both of which can be played safe and are top tier. And a character being top tier isn’t a requirement for being able to play safe. They can be mid or bad… but when the whole engine goes against that, that’s when you have a problem.

I don’t know what your talking about with online, of course everyone plays the same online with those games. Everyone plays the same offline too.

Anyway I’m going to assume you play aggressively and just haven’t touched or played many older games and get most of your info from watching stuff online and playing online.

3 Likes

P4A is amazing though. If you can get over the fact that you have 3 normals locked behind your Auto-Combo at all times.