SFV Lounge: Ken is high mid. Kage is barely mid. F2P still coming

Actually yes, that’s exactly what I want. I get to choose when I take a risk or not. I’m not forced into risks just to get medium or light rewards.

This is basically how every fighting game ever, plays. You FORCE YOUR OPPONENT to take risks. Why in the fuck would the better player ever want to risk anything if they know they are the better player and have the better end of a matchup or character knowledge?

Taking risks is stupid unless calculated. Oldschool games allow for safe semi damaging play and risky higher damaging play. You setup your high damage with your safe damage.

Sf5 is backwards. Few things are safe and those that are have like NO damage unless you are dumping a super. It’s ass backwards so that terribles can feel good for playing downback and runaway fighter.

It’s the exact opposite of how any good game should be designed, you should be seeking your opponent up with safe stuff. Not using unsafe stuff to set your opponent up. That’s just clown shit like giving everyone a grenade.

I’m against 2 off mixups where you gain another mixup opportunity when your first was unsuccessful, I’m against mixups that lead directly back into another mixup… but this is really dependent on how good the first mixup was. The better it is the worse the ensuing mixup should be, if there’s any at all.

Fg have always been using your low risk shit to setup high risk shit, and high risk shit to setup low risk shit.

-edit

Also, I don’t want low risk HIGH PAYOUT. That’s just stupid. What I want is low risk>high control.

High control>opportunity for high payout tactic.

Which is how it has almost always been outside of certain broken characters and games

4 Likes

Love seeing the way Street Fighter is embraced in certain areas.

20 Likes

GGs @FlyingVe. Sorry again I can’t stay on longer

I’d go for 8+ hour sessions if I could :sob:

I had the same thought while watching the replays. You should get a sponsor so you don’t have to work and can just grind it out. :wink:

GG’s @Akhos

I’m figuring more things out. The lessons for the day:

1. Don’t piss away a lead by taking dumb risks, I’ve got the normals to be defensive.

2. Figure out a better AA solution. cHP needs to be done somewhat early, and Vskill has obvious faults. I’m thinking jab.

Edit: if you don’t mind me asking. What should I be doing about Ed VT2? It seems like you just kinda get as many + frames as you want?

Edit 2:

1. Hit-confirm the sMP into bHP for oki, man cannot survive on neutral alone.

2. The only other oki seems to be after un-mashed EX Abi Punch. Use Meter more.

Ok so looking at that CPT schedule there isn’t anything particularly close to me. Closest events are both in NJ in April and October respectively. Besides that there is Defend the North in July in NY, but that’s a bit far and expensive. Would require a bit more planning. I was hoping for something is PA.

I have a habit of watching CFN replays on my feed whenever I’m winding down after playing SFV. I watched 7-8 of the matches you had and I have another things I noticed if you don’t mind advice from the cheap seats:

cr.MK is hit confirmable into EX Punches and reaches really goddamn far for a low. Even if you beef up the confirm punishing the EX Punches isn’t always easy for the other player. Akhos used this against me when he was playing Abi and it was rough. The more you can constrain movement the more you can put your opponent where they have to deal with your buttons.

I noticed that you tend to end matches with a lot/all your resources but you already noted that. Meter flows freely in this game so don’t think twice about burning EX moves in combos, or if you have a particularly obnoxious option in neutral.

2 Likes

That’s one thing I’m not sure what to choose, should I use ex moves or should I use them for supers?

I have a bad habit in many games of hoarding meter (I might need it later…).

I actually didn’t realize Abi’s cMK was cancellable (doh)… so I should do that. I need to use the EX punches because they seem to leave me +5 after a dash in (unmashed) which gives me oki.

Because I am not really doing anything for pressure the meter tends to sit. But I don’t think that’s the right was to use the resource most times. I’m basically playing matches just beating people to death with normals…

Also, after a training mode session, I need to confirm the single hit of sMP, its easy enough.

That’s a very situational question. Also kind of match up dependent.

Who did you say you mained?

Can someone please explain last Dime’s post, I am very confused about it.

1 Like

A pretty detailed summary of the SFL draft in Japan.

https://fugutabetai.com/?postid=586

I found it really interesting and entertaining. Each team has 1 pro, 1 young talent, and 1 amateur. I think every young talent is probably a Grand Master ranked online player or close to it. So they’re not pro’s but they know what they’re doing. But the amateurs will be legit bronze level players.

The young players and amateurs gain more points for winning their matches then the pro’s so the pro’s will benefit more from being good coaches than winning their own matches. I really like the idea and think it’s a great change of pace from just having the very best players compete.

Just wondering what you guys think of that? There was a lot of back lash when it came to the US league because of the character ban. But I’m not seeing any outrage over the Japanese league which was announced 1st and won’t be featuring the very best players duking it out with each other.

@Pertho Oops, didn’t mean to reply to your post. I just hit the 1st reply button I saw.

4 Likes

Also Power ranger games looks ass, and with NRS animations to boot

3 Likes

The way I see it, Dime wants the neutral tools to be low risk and medium reward, in the sense that either damage is relatively good (100 damage I guess) to win on its own with no followup or less damage (say 70) with an opening for close mixups, where he wants close stuff or risky stuff to have big damage and be quite in your favor. In contrast, he feels SFV neutral tools are very low damage (not good enough to win on their own) and negative or unsafe to boot while close pressure isn’t good enough to open players consistently and sometimes can blow on your face (command grab getting neutral jumped).

I kind of agree as long as good neutral tool doesn’t mean insane pushback that makes characters feel as if they had equal pole magnets attached to them. A good neutral doesn’t need pressure to be ass or viceversa.

1 Like

That’s what is sounded to me as well, and I don’t get it because Karin, Cammy, Akuma, Rashid, Ibuki, F.A.N.G, Boxer and dictator.

Those characters do fit closely to what Dime is after. But he won’t be satisfied until he’s rinsed every cast member or …

The character has a fireball, dp and an SPD.

Only Sam sho can save Dime. Or Super Skull Girls turbo arcade edition.

1 Like

I mean , it looks like to me like he described most of anime games.

You should all play MvC2.

The GAWD game.

3 Likes

Haven’t played MVC2 in ages. I miss that game.

I miss Marvel in general.