SFV Lounge: Ken is high mid. Kage is barely mid. F2P still coming

How? I’m not sure what you said follows?

They nerfed the brainless box dash style pressure that everyone did, and now the game should spend more time in the neutral, which is where things are more different. (I also disagree with the game being samey, but I know that’s a common opinion)

Remember the old joke about needing a low hitting 2L? That kinda thing is less important now that that part of the game is de-emphasized a bit.

I see almost nothing negative about the patch outside of some characters getting hosed more than others as a side effect.

It’s funny because you play Juri and that reason is why most people wanted her back.

[posts that image of Juri with a low BP]

The changes to linking supers is the biggest negative that stands out to me.

Parts of labbing out a high synergy team have been somewhat obsoleted, and one of the main routes to high damage was removed in a game that already had problems bogging down.

I mean, I guess more characters stand a chance of getting played when synergy matters less. But I’m not sure that was the healthy way to do it.

I mean, some of that was fun, but an issue with he game was huge meter dumps and this is the only really way to solve it.

This has been compensated for by the increased lvl3 damage so there isn’t much of a change in team efficacy. Also things like the dragon rush change open up new ways for teams to be put together. If anything this will allow more compositions to be similarly effective as you won’t need to hit those same checkboxes. For example, do you need a beam assist (or Vegeta) now that double supers are less good and you get a slide out on air dragon rush? You can probably use other characters and still have stuff work.

So while it is a little sad to see some of the cooler multi-super combos get weakened, it really won’t affect that much, and there is other new stuff in return. Synergy doesn’t matter less, but now synergy should be a bit less rigid.

I really don’t get the double super change. It’s one of the things I like with the game. It’s also a huge nerf to characters that could link multiple supers by themselves.

Also double super synergy was never a huge deal in team picking tbh. It did help, but it’s more a cherry on top than a big selling point afaik.

1 Like

It does nerf people like Goku a bit unfairly, but it also stops using assists to link multiple supers (and doing allowing kill confirms in a lot of places), and it also stops garbage like Goku black and cell doing, lvl1>spark>lvl3 for an insta-kill

Once you learn what to watch for Laura is very manageable like it’s been said. Her over head is very punishable too btw.

Judging by some of the posts where would you guys rate her? I’m guessing low mid .

I disagree with the part about the mirror match. Despite how much I dislike mirror matches, it is beneficial to play them and learn more about what you are and aren’t applying with your character (especially if the other player is the more experienced one).
Also it’s still a matchup people should learn (a lot of people play a character for a while as their main, but still don’t know how to fight against them properly in a mirror). It’s not a bad idea at all imo. Could be a stressful experience, but not a bad idea if you’re playing to learn as well.

1 Like

It kinda further homogenizes an already homogenous cast too.

Dunno. I see the points but I don’t like it. Friezas pizza combos and death ball to Vegeta followups were actually fun when I landed them. Now I’m left with only my swag pizza combos. :frowning:

But I did play the mirror match? I just started with Abigail.

All I said was a mirror against a better/more experienced player is absolutely a big uphill battle. If the only thing separating two players is knowledge or skill and you are lacking I absolutely think you should pick a different character (provides you are decent with them).

I’m never going to win a boxing match with Mike Tyson, but I bet I can beat him in a swimming race. (To use an analogy).

She is -4 after command grab, dash
-2 after ex/vt1 command, dash
It’s generally a really bad idea to press something on your wake up because she gets auto meaty after every knockdown. Watch out for the dash and try to punish that. Worst case scenario you’re going to eat a command grab and her pressure after that is limited

1 Like

Nothing so far.

It may be possible with plug ins. But we’d have to do a lot of research and then it would be a bigger convo at higher up level. d3v would have to make the case to have it and then we’d have to figure out how not to accidentally set the house on fire setting it up.

1 Like

… how? People keep saying that this homogenized things and I don’t see it.

The patch:

Takes away one combo route but opens up routes for new assists allowing for more composition options.

Places the focus less on block pressure allowing different tool sets to shine.

Both of those are the opposite of homogenized. @Evil_Canadian video said it well. Trust me I play a Broly/Goku shell, I am feeling the individual effects but can see no way these changes do anything other than increase variety.

(Sidenote: the characters are more different than people like to repeat. I feel that that has become a bit of a meme at this point like, take the throw)

1 Like

It isn’t a meme though. You can watch high level MvC2, and every top tier character pressures you in a different way and they navigate the midscreen in a different way. In MvC3, you have the same thing; magneto in front of you isn’t the same as Zero, in front of you or Spencer in front of you etc.

DBF you can pallete swap half the cast into the same square dash nonsense. Unless you have people like Hit or Yamcha, odds are that your characters are doing samey stuff the vast majority of the time. Cell is still shitting on a lot of the cast because he is just better at that one gameplan than most.

Bardock, Cell, Gokus, Vegetas, hell Gohans and a bunch of other characters are locked into that goofy high low from square dash stuff. Then the characters that have cool projectiles can’t really do tits with them because Super Dash is a scrubby ass mechanic.

You could legit delete characters from DBF and make the game better for it. Shit is silly.

2 Likes

My opinion about returning SF 5 characters :

• Rashid : high chance,he was pretty important to the story,even used as box art for SF5 AE,has a cheesy but cool personality.People seem to like him.

• Necalli : low, and it’s a shame because the concept is good but he got ruined in the story.A lot treat him like the punching bag.

• Zeku : low to medium chance,cool character. Imo cooler then Guy but Guy is more iconic and more popular.I can see him replacing Zeku in SF6 .

• Abigail : low, although pretty unique dude many hate his guts.

• Kolin : medium to high. I think SF6 has a high chance to remake the Illuminati story,that means Gill, that means Kolin. Not a bad choice,i wouldn’t mind her to be back.

• G : low to medium chance.Received quite well by the playerbase overall.

• ED : low , maybe medium. Don’t hate the guy but he doesn’t really stand out with anything overall.His inclusion will really depend if Capcom wants to push forward for the Neo Shadaloo story.

• Falke : low as well.She suffers from same issues as ED ,ok-ish but a lot of characters are more popular and again, it really needs on the direction of the story when it comes to her and ED.

• FANG : medium to high. Since he is part of the Shadaloo now he has a high chance to return.

• Kage : low.They tried something different for Evil Ryu, but people just want Evil Ryu more.

• Laura : medium.Nothing really special but she sells costumes good.Capcom needs to cash in.

• Menat : i would say medium to high.Overall quite well received by the community.One of the better new characters in the eyes of many.

I’ll have you know I haven’t really played Juri in months, if I play SFV I do Chun, with a side of Sakura, Alex and Menat… And sometimes Roo for the lulz.
I never played Juri 'cause she was hot, just because she looked cool, and her backstory being Chun li sliding doors.
I do play Chun mostly because she is hot though.
And Mai shiranui
And half of the reason I play Yuzuriha.
And the initial reason for playing Jam.

I have my priorities straight

2 Likes

I mean, your definition of samey could apply to a huge chunk of airdasher games. High/low from a box dash/jump is like arksys 101 stuff.

I agree box dash style pressure was very strong (hence the joke about a low 2L being necessary), and the update actually nerfs this.

Again, I think you are dramatically overstating DBF while dramatically understating MvC.

Also I’m not sure what “goofy” projectiles you mean? Things like base Vegetas arcing ki blast and piccolos orb are very good (just to make a few).

I do agree super dash is too strong though, but probably not for the same reasons you are implying.

Ok hold on that, yes, but with reserve, in DBFZ it really is samey because on the defense you got fuck all options. Instant block and faultless/shield change things a lot

Again, I agree that box dash was very strong (and probably still is post patch) in DBFZ. I concede that point.

Hopefully the changes in the patch will help reduce its effectiveness.

I didn’t read the rest of the exchange before replying to that part. 'Still catching up with posts, so didn’t know you eventually picked Kolin. My bad.
I still think it is a good idea to get the mirror experience firsthand from someone who knows a lot if that is who you intend to main over picking a different character (to be fair, the part/post I was replying to said you think it’s “not a good idea” rather than anything about an uphill battle… which I still don’t think should be a deterrent in learning).
Not only does it help you pick up new strategies and tactics you may have not seen yet, but also helps you legitimize the ones you already employ (since they probably know more about those tactics than someone who doesn’t main the character). Anything that’s hard for even them to deal with is probably more legit rather than a parlor trick. Not missing out on that experience is all I’m getting at. At least you didn’t avoid it all together, so you probably saw what I was talking about.