SFV Lounge: Ken is high mid. Kage is barely mid. F2P still coming

UNIST

In the first part I meant that KoF14 is not going to win any awards for how it uses technology.

However, even at a glance it looks like a KOF game, and it has a style all its own.

If you look at MvCi and ignore the fact that ChunLi and Thanos are standing next to each other, you could be tricked into thinking you were looking at a screen shot of two random NPC’s from one of 100 other games.

1 Like
3 Likes

Gesundheit

This has actually been a huge gripe of mine over the last few years. For some dumb reason Marvel has been using the same designs or models for all their games. So they all look mobile as fuck.

MVCI

Contest of Champions

There’s other examples but it’s actually allot harder finding good pics from these mobiles games.

3 Likes

I think it is a visual signal to their user base. “This thing is like that other thing you like and have dumped a ton of money into.”

I had a buddy that bought MvCI after he saw trailers and played the demo. This same buddy was also huge into Conquest of Champions. Art style didn’t bother him at all.

Other upside is that its is probably a cheaper aesthetic to develop. Hell the UI even looks like some mobile shit.

2 Likes

No but seriously, are we counting netcode? Because that’s the one thing I can think of and I am not even sure, yes netcode is ass if I try to play with people from the US while I am in Taiwan. But idk about normal connections, never had problems myself, but then again I barely run into lag while playing SFV because Asian internet and shit

Speaking of Nintendo, They don’t get much negativity with Mario face because they stay the same with those areas even with different gen of console and their fans mostly has no weird visual request that Mario should be that, turned into that, be that or be something else other than seeing Mario is a mascot, a video game character and a pop culture icon. He like Mickey Mouse and Bart Simpson. Even Goku is still the same.

SF should be always in its prime visuals, rather than experimenting or striving to be different to each other in every game.

Most of the fans that I have encountered always preferred the iconic look and most of those requesting characters to change radically visually or to look like another popular character aren’t fans that has concern character at all. While there are some that want to reflect them selves to the character by aging them or changing them physically accordance to popular trends, those were meh request that Capcom should ignore.

Just keeping the best art direction along with better gameplay that they usually do, then next the content and characters. they won’t have problems.

I wasn’t really talking about netcode.

I’ve never played UNIST, so I can’t comment, but I’m sure the players who do could tell you about the dumb things in that game.

Yeah I didn’t think we were counting netcode, I play UNIST and I can’t think for the life of me of a flaw right now, I have asked my UNIST discords, waiting to see what comes up.

I remember reading somewhere that they(Marvel) tried before to build there own video game universe? something like they did with the movies?

Mario’s art and gameplay direction change more than you are giving Nintendo credit for. Nintendo has never been shy about changing things up, what they are usually extremely good at is retaining the core of what makes their franchises great.

Also, they have a shit ton of polish (like, an unbelievable amount of polish).

I actually dont really have an issue with any of the recent street fighter games graphics (except maybe the glowing neon bears in SFxT). However, I am in the camp of wanting a bigger break from SF4. SF4 has completely definined modern street fighter in a way that 2, alpha, and 3 never did, and I would rather the next game have a bigger break from SF4 conventions. One very good way to sell that would be to change up the visual style more.

Again, I think SFV looks pretty good.

2 Likes

Would you change anything about the game? (Again I don’t know jack about UNIST).

This art direction would’ve been so much better.

12 Likes

The X and Morigan look more like a model already than a concept. So probably they have tried it before changing the whole idea on art style.

1 Like

All things considered, the scene is healthier when you can grin and bear it rather than just dropping things like hot potatoes. A far bigger issue is that a lot of 09ers and up don’t understand that you don’t stop playing the games you love because a new one came out. How SF4 doesn’t have high entries all over the place is beyond me.

3 Likes

with all the other fighting games coming out. why clinching on a old title which you might have enjoyed and still enjoy from time to time. the big names moved on to v in the tourney scene and thats the ones you want to play on tourneys so its no surprise that people either move on to it too or other titles which have a bigger comp scene than usf4.

The why do people still nut hug SF3 and Melee so much?

SF4 could have been a big middle finger to SFV if people had some fucking ballz

You answerd your own question literally.

If SFIV would be so beloved it would still have high entrants.
Might it be, that it was just the most played SF, because it was the most actuall one?
Like SFV is currently?

I mean all the talk about how much better SF3 was, during SFIV lifetime and it was the same situation.

People talk, but they don’t act.
You have here enough cases like this, talk how shit SFV is and still play it.

1 Like

Neither of those games have actually been replaced. There are no other games that do what Melee and SF3 do.

Also, SF3 isn’t exactly alive outside of its niche community.

SFV has a lot in common with SF4, and also it has the tournament money, so that’s where the big players will focus.

1 Like