SFV Lounge: Ken is high mid. Kage is barely mid. F2P still coming

That is all nostalgia. But those two do have a good story together and individually. Old me likes Cyan a lot more than I used to. Part of why I’d objectively rate VI as the best is because it has a really well rounded cast despite it being pretty numerous (IV wins due to “firsties” syndrome).

A lot of the SNES era chars aren’t especially deep but they hit me at the right time to stick. I think the series gets better characters as it goes on but I tend to like the structure and mechanics less so I don’t stick around to enjoy them much or replay those (replayed IV and VI multiple times but I hadn’t completed a FF post X until XV).

1 Like

DBFZ’s health and scaling systems means you’ll likely still live at least even if you get hit. Blocking is good for your bones any way. The pre patch Sonicfox Jedah stuff in MVCI was basically as dumb and that was trying to be the balanced again Marvel. The tag system in MVCI basically shuts off pushblock any way and space stone is basically hellzone on crack as far as what it ends up doing to you.

BTW how well does sparking blast do vs it if you gotta use one?

Cyan is a great character. However for as good as he is in the story… he is so bad in combat…

To talk about some underrated characters:

1: Tidus - yes he can be annoying, but he is literally the perfect lead character for FFX. FFX leans on world building more than most FF games and needs a lead who is out going to experience that world so the player can understand it.

2: Serra (XIII-2) - she is meek, quite, and not at all a hero… and that’s why she was great. It was really refreshing to see the hero role fall to a character who really isn’t qualified to be a hero. This also lets her respond to situations in more interesting ways that her sister. Lighting by contrast is so competent that her only reaction to anything is mild annoyance.

Yeah but the problem isn’t that you can survive. The problem is they want you to survive. Especially on the piccolo side of things you can have a guaranteed character kill and not do it to keep the loop going just so there is no reset to neutral so you eventually build to 7 bars and all 3 party members are 1 hit away from death.

Sparking helps against some versions, against piccolo it doesn’t do anything though since you spark on your way in then get hit by hellzone and it all starts over again. Once you are on the ground it can be done so you eat multiple mixes that are all airtight(so no sparking allowed) until you finally flip the coin wrong and it starts all over again.

As I said earlier, the biggest problem with the hellzone loops (outside of being the newest version of no interactive set play), is it takes to god damn long to kill you. At least with bardock lvl 3 it was all over pretty quick, even if the end result was the same.

And the hellzone meta doesn’t allow you to use any character to win neutral like the most recent lvl3 meta did. Piccolo is solid, but not the best in neutral.

My rough understanding, which I believe, is that Tidus is underrated mostly on the basis of localization. His English VO makes him sound way more irritating than he is probably conceived to be.

Cyan is mega-booty in combat. Unless you love watching a bar sloooooooooowly fill for damage Sabin could have done 8 times over already.

FFXII has some really good ones. Balthier, Fran, and Basch are rad, Ashe is okay too.

Also cycling back up to Twin’s point about crossplay: I hope MK11 has it just to try and keep the issue open. SFV has definitely spoiled me because if anyone has it we can play. May have one sided rollback and the netcode is shaky but at least we can try. KI has that too but I dropped it before they put out the PC version.

FGs are niche enough that winnowing the player pools further by platform just plain sucks in an era where we legit may not have to do that anymore.

Yeah he reminds of Firebrand where you have all the theories of him shutting the game down with his 300 percent snapback stuff in Marvel 3, but in reality he doesn’t have the neutral to do it and people somehow eventually end up escaping somehow or they screw up the timing and get out any way. Then the goal is just to finally hit him and dump all your meter into him and kill him off.

Sounds like fun. Sounds like you’re playing some crack.

Yeah, those characters are all good for obvious reasons. FFXII suffers from not really focusing on its characters all that much. It’s more focused on the worlds political situation… which really isn’t all that interesting.

crack infers you are getting high, I love me some dbfz but this shit is some of the most unfun stuff ever in fighting game history. As other dude said at least on the bardock level 3 mix, you ate it and if you guessed wrong at least you died and it was over with. I’ve seen many jokes over the years about XYZ turning a fighting game into a single player affair, this is the closest its ever been to being accurate.

I agree, even though it is arguably not as strong. It is hella dull.

That said, I’m very confident that the meta will change with season 2. Unlike mvc3 or mvci, this game was successful. So I ain’t sweating too much.

Pretty much everything that was supposed to turn Marvel 3 into a one player/completely broken game never did so you’ll be alright. Even MVCI got pretty close despite trying to be the more balanced Marvel game, but that’s cool.

Enjoy your 2 to 3 months or hopefully more of bad things happening to you with the only answer (barring some tech) is being able to block everything right in crack.

XII has the same problem that a lot of later era FF titles do: some dumb shit happening during production due to the dev cycles running way long.

When you have a game that was started and halfway-ish completed by the director of FF Tactics then handed off to the guy who worked on the SaGa series, it is gonna have some tonal and directional issues.

I’m just glad no one gave the Viera pants in the changeover.

2 Likes

Naw everything is going to be fixed on Monday :slight_smile: After dbfz world tour finals sunday season 2 happens and we will be delivered from evil

also fun snapback interactivity during top 8 of frosty faustings

I dunno, I think XII actually feels pretty cohesive, it’s just going for this really grounded story which undermines some of the most interesting parts of the game, and takes focus off it’s relatively good cast.

Conversely, XIII loves to focus on its cast… but the cast sucks.

FFX and FFIX are the only two the really nailed it.

Note: If mario RPG counts as a final fantasy game. Bowser is the best final fantasy character.

Fight me.

I timed it and its straight up 1 minute and 34 seconds of not being able to do anything, until hook screwed up and let him out.

The Hellzone snapback stuff is just dry to look at. Funny to see people unable to get out of it, though.

1 Like

Its not funny when you are in it

I cant believe I’m dead

Thats Matsuno though and that dichotomy between his political plots and the usual FF character driven narrative may have been one of the things that ultimately caused him to tap out. Made for an interesting game though and FFXII has some of the better villains in the series IMO.

I’ll count Mario RPG but if we do that then I’d nominate Peach out of that bunch. She was so goddamn good. Bowser as a close second.

1 Like

Can we compromise and call Booster the best Final Fantasy character?

:slight_smile: