SFV FAQ/INFO: BETA is LIVE. Stay up late Tuesday Night. NEW CFN LAUNCHES 9PM PST/12AM EST

Patch release date and info (March 28th for first patch with challenges, ranked rematch, 8 player lobbies and various bug fixes/March 30th is Alex and Fight Money Shop)
http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2016/03/24/sfv-march-update---release-date-and-new-details

Targets and Extra Battle challenges will be available later in the year, with Battle Tips and Trials coming in March.

Alex info
http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2016/03/10/new-character-alex-and-sfv-update-details

Details for FINAL beta before launch. 2 days Saturday and Sunday starts 12 AM PST / 3 PM EST Saturday moring

STAGE SELECTION: Ok so just to let people know, in order to go to other stages you have to go to your profile in the main menu and set your preferred stage.

DevilJin’s SFV Basics Breakdown
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EynGiN9it10MLvN_L88G9Eu-4nzjGxgMO9FIElG-pK4/edit

Let me know what you think and I’ll be adding the meter based stuff later. Just wanted to go over the basic basic stuff that I haven’t really seen covered in a lot of video based stuff. You’ll see small things that you probably didn’t notice like how putting someone in block stun freezes the stun meter/build (which I don’t think happens in other SF games).

**Decided to go ahead and make a google document outlining the basic gameplay functions of SFV. ** Did this as there’s still a lot of things gameplay wise that people don’t know or frequently ask. This way everything I know or find out can just be listed in one document.

We had one of these threads for Marvel 3 to generally get newer people initiated on the philosophy of the game and what to expect if they’re just hearing about it or haven’t read up much on it. Still see a lot of people who don’t understand why certain things are being done or even how the game is being distributed.

Will most likely eventually update this with a google document as it expands much larger. If you know any frequently asked questions please ask for them to be added.

Nice 7 minute breakdown of what to expect from from SFV. Evo Panel breakdown. Goes over the design balance of the first 7 characters, art design, why each character has their own skills instead of giving them universal skills like run or focus etc.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How does one earn or purchase content in this game? I’m afraid this game will be like other Fee 2 Pay games on PC and mobile notorious for making you grind so long that the only easy route is to pay money. Will I get rewarded for the time I put in?
**A. There is no definite answer yet as the game is not out yet. Is Capcom working on it? YES. Very much so. Should you worry? NO, not at all. Capcom is taking a lot of feedback from other games like LoL, Dota and Counter Strike that are known for having effective methods for allowing those that regularly play the game to get all the gameplay content for free. Anything regarding the gameplay like characters you should be able to realistically earn with the grind based Fight Money. Balance patches obviously come free. The only thing you’ll have to use real money/Zenny for is most likely the costumes and other aesthetics which fits in line with how those previous mentioned PC games work.

During the betas you will be earning fight money. You won’t be earning fight money for no reason. This will be done to test how quickly different types of players are earning fight money. Capcom will be using this data to help assure that people that put in the correct amount of time (but not World of Warcraft levels of time hopefully) the ability to download all characters for free as they release. If you have some fairweather SF fans who only play once a week, they may have it tough, but they can always individually purchase the characters they want and save money instead of buying into a full package. Like most games there will most likely be deals on the characters and costumes as well.**

*Q. What is this Kagemusha/Shadow Warrior/Rollback netcode stuff and why is it important? I heard it causes rewinds in the online gameplay. *
**A. Rollback netcode is a general term for netcode that allows the online play to feel more like offline play than traditional lag base netcode used in the majority of fighting games. This is done by algorithms that allow the game to rewind discrepancies in lag when necessary so players attacks input visually around the time they would offline even though (from what I remember) technically the lag is still there. Giving a much more seamless and accurate to offline interpretation of the matches. You still have to have a strong connection to get the most out of this as bad connections will cause rollbacks. Hopefully Capcom figures out a way to minimize the rollbacks/rewinds against long distance/high ping or lower upload speed players.

The founders of SRK (Tom/Tony Cannon) created the proprietary rollback netcode for fighting games called GGPO (Good Games Peace Out). The first known fighting game to fully support this is Mike Z’s Skullgirls. Ports of different Capcom games like 3rd Strike and Vampire Savior have also been known to use this and the new Rising Thunder games uses a supposedly advanced version of this. Street Fighter V uses their own proprietary rollback code called Kagemusha which is inspired by GGPO.**

Q. When is the next beta?
**A. Next beta is set for October 22nd-25th worldwide (Thurs-Sun). You’ll get the weekend to play this so if you’re off on weekends good for you. PS4 beta will be available all 4 days while PC beta will only be available on Saturday and Sunday (24th and 5th). As for the characters As for the characters Ken (sighhh), Necalli, R.Mika and Vega will be available from day one. Rashid will be available on Friday the 23rd and Karin will be available on Saturday the 24th. Meaning if you like Karin you only got 2 days to crack it out with her. This will be done to test the downloading service.

This will also be the first test of the Capcom Fighters Network (CFN) which is the in game matchmaking and competitive news hub. This essentially creates a shoryuken/facebook like community within the game itself so anyone who is purchasing the game will always be withing the fighting game community and bring more limelight to the competitive spotlight. Now even the Joe Shmoes can know everything about tournaments and Evo and easily access the best players as they are playing online. Will have ranked matchmaking, player search, combined leaderboards and fight money unlockables. The fight money unlockables can unlock Karin’s stage and other fight titles.

The fight money portion is VERY important as this is what will allow them to test and review how people are making money and make a fair system that should allow the majority of consistent players to get all gameplay content for free. Don’t expect this to be a grind until you pay system. They are looking out for your wallet. **

Q. Is there going to be a Super SFV that requires a new disc or purchase?
**A. No. SFV is now what you call a “service” or ecosystem. Other games that are services are games like Killer Instinct and League of Legends. These are games that aren’t designed to have sequels after 2 or 3 years like some other fighting games. SFV like KI or LoL is designed to be one game or service that keeps providing you DLC characters and costumes for years to come. **

*Q. Is there or will there ever be a final roster number for SFV? *
A. There is no current final number of characters and although there is no definite answer yet, it’s possible that there may never be. Like explained above, SFV is a service designed to last as long as Capcom feels SFV will be relevant. The idea is not to catch a few years with a set roster and move on to SF6, but rather slowly expand the roster over time over a longer time period and possibly as long as the PS4 is a platform. The game could very well last for 5 to 7 years with who knows how large a roster. Just gotta live long enough to find out.

Q. Are PS3 controllers compatible with the PS4 version of the game?
**A. Not at this time. Capcom has not released drivers yet, but has made a statement saying they will let people know more about this issue soon. So stay tuned. As far as the betas go you need a PS4 compatible stick to play. Meaning if you have a good PC that PC version is looking good. **

*Q. Special move motions tend to be really simple this time. No triangle charge supers, OG hooligan motions, tiger knees and all supers seem to be quarter circle. Any reason for this? *
**A. Yes. One of the philosophies behind SFV is accessibility. Smaller US fighting games like Skullgirls, KI and Rising Thunder have followed a trend of simplifying motions so people can learn to throw attacks more quickly rather than spend a lot of time learning to throw attacks. SF3 was probably the first mainly Japanese based SF game to start this. A bit less tight inputs for specials, quarter/half circle, DP and charge make up the majority of special motions and generally all supers are qcf. No hcb x 2, pretzel, triangle, charge back forward back stuff etc.

The only character that retains anything complicated is Zangief who still has 360 and 720 motions (which most likely have shortcuts).**

Q. Why is Vega a motion character? Zangief doesn’t have green hand WTF? Karin’s command grab got turned into a normal back grab, counter was shoehorned into her V Reversal and I can’t rekka without V Trigger? Rly? Nash looks funny. Birdie is somehow goofier. Bison is flying around like a Blazblue character when I activate V Trigger. This don’t make no damned sense.
A. There is no one answer to all of these things. The general idea though is that Capcom wants to make sure each character is diverse as possible and feels new to old and newer players alike. Some characters like Nash are changed both visually and gameplay wise and then you have characters like Gief who visually look the same, but as soon as you play them you realize they are new characters. Capcom is trying to radicalize the feel of all of the characters and give them new ways to play in the sequel. You’re not going to get the same mall arcade SF2 and Alpha characters this time and Capcom is clearly experimenting with that. Try them out as the betas hit and see if you like their new gameplans.

*Q. Why is there no focus or parry? Why does everyone have different V Skills and Triggers? It would be nice if everyone had Ken’s run or Ryu’s parry. *
**A. The idea with SFV is they want to create systems that make each character unique rather than hope that each character uniquely fits into generic systems. Which didn’t work very well with SFIV’s focus and FADC system as some characters took better advantage of it inherently than others. Like Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, Blazblue and other anime games, each character is designed to be their own “groove” or game in a sense. Meaning that whichever character you pick decides which subsystem you get and you may end up liking a character just because they have a V Skill or V Trigger that you fancy.

The general philosophy is that V Skills are designed to give the character a way to approach something in a way they usually don’t (Chun Li low hopping towards the opponent) or give them a way to deal with something they normally have trouble dealing with. V Triggers are designed to augment whatever the character is good at or give them a new style of play. Ryu suddenly going from a mid/close range heavy damage poke character to a much stronger zoning character, or Chun Li going from only having one reliable bnb to getting combos for almost everything grounded and air to air she lands.**

Q. Capcom is removing the majority of light to medium links? Why is this? That’s going to nerf combo options.
**A. Capcom is trying to take the neutral game back to games like Alpha 2/3 and 3S where you only use lights to get a small amount of time to confirm into a special. Both of those games still had a lots of interesting combos without relying on light to medium links. Instead of confirming off multiple lights into a safe medium you now have to commit right from lights into special in most cases. SFIV had a large overemphasis on using light attacks for neutral and setting up combos on both offense and defense. This would make pressure harder to create as the opponent’s quickest moves can always lead to damage with a very easy hit confirm. In a game that also had focus, invincible backdash and almost no true block strings, this marginalized heavier attacks a bit much.

On top of that these combos off the lights would scale heavily and slow the match down as people are constantly focusing on landing c.LKx3 into EX legs, Gen c.LPx2, c.MP into LK waterfall kick or Rufus s.LKx2, s.HP, tornado for not very much damage. With SFV’s changes, the emphasis is now on landing neutral hits with mediums and heavies. Which will create heavier hitting combos more often and get people to fish for the crush counters that can set up large damage. Giving the game a faster pace as well. If you must start a combo with a light, in most cases you only get a very short confirm into a special. If you screw it up and that special is negative expect a punish. There are some exceptions but they are usually off something you can’t combo after or only give enough room for one light into one medium.**
Q. Are there still hard knockdowns in this game? I noticed a lot of attacks and throws don’t cause hard knockdowns anymore. *
**A. Not very many. For the most part hard knockdowns are gone with the exception of certain attacks like Bison’s EX stomp. Karin’s super I believe causes a hard knockdown, but she knocks them so far away and takes so long to recover that it really doesn’t do anything for you. Ryu’s and Chun Li’s supers got patches and no longer cause hard knockdowns so there are now even supers that can be quick rised from. Which goes against the normal rules of SF where supers always gave an HKD. It seems Capcom is trying to remove nearly all situations that can set up oki and just keep the pressure and mind games on active standing people or those just waking from quick rise. Which again, does fall in line with the older SF games.

NOTE: Apparently throws can’t be KK back risen from. Only PP standard rise (rise up in same position from where you were on the floor).**

Reserved 2

Updated with info on 2nd Beta, Fee 2 Pay and Netcode breakdown.

Q. How does one earn or purchase content in this game? I’m afraid this game will be like other Fee 2 Pay games on PC and mobile notorious for making you grind so long that the only easy route is to pay money. Will I get rewarded for the time I put in?
**A. There is no definite answer yet as the game is not out yet. Is Capcom working on it? YES. Very much so. Should you worry? NO, not at all. Capcom is taking a lot of feedback from other games like LoL, Dota and Counter Strike that are known for having effective methods for allowing those that regularly play the game to get all the gameplay content for free. Anything regarding the gameplay like characters you should be able to realistically earn with the grind based Fight Money. Balance patches obviously come free. The only thing you’ll have to use real money/Zenny for is most likely the costumes and other aesthetics which fits in line with how those previous mentioned PC games work.

During the betas you will be earning fight money. You won’t be earning fight money for no reason. This will be done to test how quickly different types of players are earning fight money. Capcom will be using this data to help assure that people that put in the correct amount of time (but not World of Warcraft levels of time hopefully) the ability to download all characters for free as they release. If you have some fairweather SF fans who only play once a week, they may have it tough, but they can always individually purchase the characters they want and save money instead of buying into a full package. Like most games there will most likely be deals on the characters and costumes as well.**

*Q. What is this Kagemusha/Shadow Warrior/Rollback netcode stuff and why is it important? I heard it causes rewinds in the online gameplay. *
**A. Rollback netcode is a general term for netcode that allows the online play to feel more like offline play than traditional lag base netcode used in the majority of fighting games. This is done by algorithms that allow the game to rewind discrepancies in lag when necessary so players attacks input visually around the time they would offline even though (from what I remember) technically the lag is still there. Giving a much more seamless and accurate to offline interpretation of the matches. You still have to have a strong connection to get the most out of this as bad connections will cause rollbacks. Hopefully Capcom figures out a way to minimize the rollbacks/rewinds against long distance/high ping or lower upload speed players.

The founders of SRK (Tom/Tony Cannon) created the proprietary rollback netcode for fighting games called GGPO (Good Games Peace Out). The first known fighting game to fully support this is Mike Z’s Skullgirls. Ports of different Capcom games like 3rd Strike and Vampire Savior have also been known to use this and the new Rising Thunder games uses a supposedly advanced version of this. Street Fighter V uses their own proprietary rollback code called Kagemusha which is inspired by GGPO.**

Q. Are there still hard knockdowns in this game? I noticed a lot of attacks and throws don’t cause hard knockdowns anymore. *
**A. Not very many. For the most part hard knockdowns are gone with the exception of certain attacks like Bison’s EX stomp. Karin’s super I believe causes a hard knockdown, but she knocks them so far away and takes so long to recover that it really doesn’t do anything for you. Ryu’s and Chun Li’s supers got patches and no longer cause hard knockdowns so there are now even supers that can be quick rised from. Which goes against the normal rules of SF where supers always gave an HKD. It seems Capcom is trying to remove nearly all situations that can set up oki and just keep the pressure and mind games on active standing people or those just waking from quick rise. Which again, does fall in line with the older SF games.

NOTE: Apparently throws can’t be KK back risen from. Only PP standard rise (rise up in same position from where you were on the floor).**

I’ll be EXTREMELY happy if there’s not going to be a bunch of upgrades like SF4 had, although I find it a little hard to believe there won’t be at least one major SF5 update that is more or less a new game!

If they do do an update it will be free and won’t require a disc. It will just be downloaded onto your current file on your PS4. They have stood on their word that all gameplay content (both competitive and non competitive like story mode) will be free. Like popular PC games the only thing you will purchase with real money is cosmetic stuff like costumes.

This is a new Capcom. Sony got them off the ground and they have done a lot of research from other indie fighting games and PC shooters/MOBAs that have made similar service style offerings effective. SFV is defined as a service now, no longer a standard game with sequels.

Even as a service I would like them to release a disc version that contains all the characters when they eventually stop adding characters to the game.

I wonder how long down the road it would be for that. If they release characters slowly enough it could be 4 years before that. If ever. We’ll see. We may have to wait till year 5 or 6 before we get a closed out roster. Capcom may feel it’s not even worth it.

I guess if anything they might do something like KI did at the end of season 1 where they create a new disc that unlocks some of the paid content for you at the discount price of the disc. Like a special later disc release that unlocks every DLC character released after the first 2 Capcom Cup seasons. Most likely will have a limited release just as something to catch people up who are late to the party. This of course won’t be mandatory to purchase as if you are already grinding on the current service you can get everything for free already.

When will Capcom start e-mailing the beta codes?

Not sure. Probably depends on what country you’re in. If you bought the game from PSN you shouldn’t need a beta code. @d3v maybe could explain more.

I pre-ordered it, but didn’t complete the payment.
I have enough $'s in my acc now and i can’t find a way to complete payment. I tried canceling the preorder & preordering again but it still doesn’t work.
I looked it up, all info i found is that it can extract money from your credit card if the credit card info is saved in ur account, but mine isn’t.
It says “expected payment: 12/29/2016 - 01/01/2017”. I guess that’s when the payment will be done :< even tho the game will be out prolly much earlier than that lol.

If you don’t complete the payment on PSN, you don’t get access to the beta.

That’s the thing.

http://rs278.pbsrc.com/albums/kk100/chuckles32257/Animations/Crying2.gif~c200

If only i can find a way to complete the payment b4 the beta starts. FML.

If you have enough money on your PSN account, you should simply be able to pay for it like any other game.

I think it’s because when i first tried to pre-order it, i didnt have enough money in my acc.
There is no payment option now tho, it just takes me to this countdown page:

You should be able to find it in the download list.

Oh don’t worry, I’m pretty sure Capcom will deliver that in time. I actually think they may even have a Season Pass system in one form or another as well

Nope.
It’s in the Library tho; with the timeline on it’s icon, but when i click it it redirects me to that timeline in the pstore again.

Go to the Street Fighter V in the PlaySation Store and look for the beta under Other Extras.

Doesn’t say anything about a BETA there.