SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

Yeah that is pretty much a confirmation Alex is coming back. Remember, DIMPS didn’t work on USF4, so they were probably working on SF5 already. So the team that did USF4 most likely put that there as a hint.

My predictions based on the statement from Matt Dahlgren: “What we can say is that we’re putting a strong focus on making sure that every character put into the game is very unique and has their own individuality.”

Roster so far:
Ryu
Chun-Li
Charlie
M. Bison
Cammy
Birdie**

Returning characters from SF2:

Zangief (big grappler, popular)
Blanka (I don’t like him, but he would be unique due to his playstyle and he is one of Ono’s favorite characters, also a goofy character like Birdie, maybe fitting for newcomers)

Returning characters from Third Strike:

Alex (very popular, also the video from bornfree about his figure could be a little hint)
Oro (bornfree video)
Urien (the symbol on Charlie’s forehead kinda makes me believe Urien is in the game too. Him over Gill is a no brainer imo and Aegis Reflect combos would be really hype for this game)

Returning characters from SF4:

**Juri **(very popular, unique playstyle and I think if they want to add at least one or two characters from each series, they will have to go with Juri. There really is no other option except maybe C. Viper)

Returning characters from Alpha:

R. Mika (fast grappler, replacement of El Fuerte and kinda popular, one of Ono’s favorites)
Karin (people want her so much, it would be a real joke if Capcom decides to leave her out… again, Rekka type character, so I believe that would mean no Poison or Fei Long)

New to SF5:

New Character
New Character

One of the new characters will be a “long limb” type character for the Dhalsim and Necro mains, the other one probably a boxer.

A dark skinned female boxer would be cool imo.

Is a mod
http://i.imgur.com/ArV3fA5.jpg

I think Dhalsim is more likely than Blanka, although Necro would be cool too instead of either this time around. But this list is pretty much very close to many well thought out predictions made here and elsewhere.

I hope that NONE of the new characters remind me strongly of any previous character (like how Necro reminded you of Dhalsim or Remy of Guile). The new characters should be NEW and for the most part play like no Street Fighter from before.

Just FYI: this hint was present in SFXT, just the same arena in USF4

balrog belogs in sf5. he was in alpha 3, cvs2, svc chaos, and the street fighter movie so obvioulsy he is popular.

v skill is TAP. you lose two buttons but it goes through fireballs and it charges to final in 3 seconds and its safe on block.

v trigger removes charge times…

he has command overhead (df. strong) and command throw now.

balrog is a ground based and footsies character so he just fits in sf5. confirmed for launch cast.

I would love to see Necro with these graphics.

I just realised that I only listed 16 characters. The rumor about 16 characters isn’t true anymore right?

Fei Long doesn’t represent Jeet Kune Do, he does Kung Fu.

He resembles Bruce Lee before he invented JKD.

The more I think about - Cody would fit in great in SFV. He never really worked in SFIV unfortunately. He was buffed in every version but never made it out of mid-low tier. The focus on knockdowns and mix-ups really went against his style of traditional frame traps and throw pressure.

Cody was strong and fun to play in Alpha 3 and SFV playing similar to the Alpha series, I could see Cody fitting in perfectly. Even if he doesn’t make it in initially I really hope he gets added at some point and I’m curious to see what Capcom does with him in terms of V-trigger and overall design.

Dunno how many times I need to say it. That same billboard was in SFxT back in 2012.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999533-street-fighter-x-tekken/62220475

Here is a picture from a video on youtube I found with 5seconds of googlefu

http://i.imgur.com/BUzjgTE.png

Interesting note for R.Mika fans: Played around in Omega mode today, and I just realized El Fuerte got Mika’s signature Flying Peach attack, along with a command jump. His walkspeed was also kinda crazy; maybe we’ll see a retooled R.Mika with aspects of Fuerte?

El Mika?

Did anyone here play Mika in Alpha 3? Can we get a rundown of why she was bad in A3, and what they could do to improve her? Keep in mind there’s no V-ism bullshit to give her a boost.

I know her “flying peach” was a joke move because of the dumb recovery animation. I also thought the “Sardine Beach Special” super was totally useless and gimmicky. However, fundamentally she looks like she could be good character. She had a bunch of good normals including the grappler jump splash, zangiefs jump short, a slide, a steerable hop kick that actually goes over lows, an air throw, Guile’s backfist, as well as her crouching fierce and crouching and STANDING (drop kick!) roundhouse buttons knocking down.

She has what look like good tools, it shouldn’t be too hard to tailor her to SF5.

He doesn’t follow any particular Kung Fu style and the majority of his moves follow the creeds Lee created for JKD. The only outlier really is his regular use of high kicks which Lee was known for doing in the movies as they look good. JKD is based on Wing Chun Kung Fu with many other influences such as american boxing and fencing. However Fei Long does not specifically utilize Wing Chun which is the only Kung Fu Bruce Lee was known to practice before he developed the style that became JKD.

Fei leads with his dominate hand using it for almost every attack, his jabs, his close HP, farHP, crouchingMP and closeMP and the first rekka all use his dominate hand which he keeps close to the opponent at all times to reduce the distance needed to attack them or to intercept attacks. His rekka based footsies are actually a good representation of his ideas of interception and offensive defense.

Also Bruce Lee founded Jeet Kune Do in 1967, long before he did Fists of Fury (1972) the movie Fei Long was based on. In addition JKD was being developed long beforehand. JKD was founded and defined in 1967 but he’d been working on it for several years before. Previously it was called Jun Fan Gung Fu basically meaning “Bruce Lee Kung Fu” as Jun Fan is his birth name is Lee-Jun Fan. By 1967 however he had changed the name to JKD but core philosophy was the same.

This outfit should look familiar to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjz6wowcgcA

It’s the same outfit Fei Long wears, and the outfit Lee is wearing vs Robert Baker, the person Eagle was based on.

Way of/Enter the Dragon also released in 1972 is his most famous film obviously. Even in 1966 when he was playing Kato in The Green Hornet JKD was basically “developed” and other than Game of Death, Enter the Dragon, and Fists of Fury that is the main thing people know him from.

Here is young bruce lee practicing a Wing Chun stance. Note the pigeon toed angle of feet and knees pulled in, the defensive positioned arm, and the chest and shoulders squared and facing the opponent. Compare that to the more open and active stance of Lee in later stuff. Side facing to reduce area he needs to defend while also positioning his dominate leg and arm closer to the opponent for swifter attacks. His dancing movements while fighting inspired by Muhammad Ali. A more “loose” look that came to define his principle of “be like water.”

Here is Bruce Lee in the 1972 movie Enter the Dragon. 5 years AFTER JKD was OFFICIALLY founded.

Here is Fei Long in Street Fighter 2

Bruce’s outfit in Enter The Dragon is similar to Feis but Feis is actually based on Fists of Fury. You can tell by the difference in shoes and how the bottoms of Lee’s pants have elastic in Fists while are open in Dragon.

Sorry john, you’re completely wrong on this.

I’d vouch more for a Capcom vs. title but I highly doubt it will ever happen, hell SF5 is only a reality so soon due to Sony. Sucks I’ll never actually be able to use Asura in a fighting game, really loved that game.

He ranks low in popularity among the general population at least. Just because he is included by devs doesn’t make him popular. Some of that inclusion has to do with grandfathering from being one of the shadowloo bosses and thus also part of the original 12 SF2 chars.

The Capcom Poll he is ranked 49th overall out of 68 just shy of the bottom 1/4th with a total of 2043 votes. 47th in western countries, 50th in japan. He ranks below El Fuerte in japan. Notable characters ranking above him you might not expect in the overall category include: Sean (pulled in ~100 more votes), Juni (pulled in ~550 more votes), E. Honda (pulled in ~600 more votes), Juli (pulled in ~1700 more votes), and Blanka who pulled in ~4150 more votes.

In the eventhubs “who do you want in SFV” poll he ranked 46th out of 64 with 77 votes. Hugo was right above him a 45th with 82 votes. Retsu and Geki were 42nd with 84 votes, Twelve was 38th with 85 votes, Decapre with 23rd with 140 votes, Ingrid was 17th with 177 votes, Birdie was 15th with 186 votes, Sodom was 13th with 192 votes, Sean with 9th with 230 votes.

Well boxer was really fun and awesome in the SF2 games, he was fairly bland in his other appearances.

Balrog seems pretty redundant with Birdy on the roster. I’d rather have Dudly or a new boxer take his place.

Id like a beefed up Sean :smiley:

A new character to represent Singapore? probably modeled after Xian.

Personally i’d love to see Ken’s return in sf5 but with great change to his combat style so as to further differentiate him from ryu. Maybe to remove his fireball game entirely and make him a rushdown close range character. How about violent ken? and give ken a bigger role in the story.