SF4 Akuma Combos

UPDATED 09.06.09

There are about a million other variations, but this should give people a start. I’ve listed combos with and without EX meter, and given some recommendations for combos you should use in a real match.

[ LEGEND ]

• indicates a chain (moves can be almost mashed out, but you will be unable to 2-1 cancel)
    c crouching version of normal attack
    © close version of normal attack
    (f) far version of normal attack
    [#] Amount of EX Meters required
    FADC Focus Attack Dash Dance
  • recommended combo (easy to do in a match)

Combo format is as follows:

[EX] DMG (STUN): COMBO

All combos tested vs RYU unless otherwise stated.

[ VORTEX ]

When talking about Akuma, you are sure to hear about the “Vortex”. This technique involves knocking the opponent down and making them guess against an overhead attack (jump-in, dive-kick etc), a low attack (c.LK, c.HK), an empty jump whiff (which leads into a low or a throw), and many other advanced options, which come after the opponent understands how to deal with the first set of mix-ups.

The easiest (and primary) way to initiate the Vortex is from QCB+LK into c.HK (sweep). The sweep is untechable and puts you in a great position to start your Vortex options. However, QCB+LK, c.HK does not work on all characters. This is why you may hear that the “Vortex” doesn’t work on certain characters. In fact, the initial (easy) setup doesn’t work, but all the options still all work if you can knockdown with a sweep.

If you knock down the opponent with a sweep normally, or a crossup air Hurricane Kick and juggle with sweep, all of the options become available on any character. Just keep in mind that you cannot sweep after a QCB+LK on all characters, so adjust your strategies accordingly.

Here is a list of characters that QCB+LK, c.HK works on and doesn’t work on:

[YES] Akuma, Boxer, Cammy, Chun-Li, Claw (Vega), Dan, Dhalsim, Fei Long, Gouken, Guile, Honda, Rose, Sagat, Seth, Viper, Zangief

[NO] Abel, Blanka, Dictator (Bison), Fuerte, Gen, Ken, Rufus, Ryu

Combos that end in a Vortex setup are highlighted in red.

[ COMBO BREAKDOWN ]

This section is for match combos and the little subtleties about them that you should know. While these combos may not be the absolute best damage, they are consistent (especially if playing online). Some of these combos will be repeated below in the “Normal Combos” section. The goal here is to quickly outline the foundation of Akuma combos so that people can jump right in and have something to use right out of the gate and things to work on for each scenario.

Starting combos with c.LK lessens the damage, even compared to starting with c.LP. However, since it’s fast and hits low, it’s usually a good opener. Keep in mind that many of these combos do quite a bit more damage and stun if you start with just the c.MP instead of the c.LK-c.LP opener.

In many cases, c.MP -> QCB+LK will whiff (try c.MP, c.MP ->: QCB+LK against Blanka). This is also evident in combos that use HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK. On some characters it will completely whiff. If you substitute c.LP -> QCB+LK instead, most of the time the Hurricane Kick will connect. Keep that in mind, especially when trying combos against Blanka (who seems to avoid c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+LK combos).

- Basic -

Handy when you have a limited amount of time to get the first hit in.

[0] 221 (370): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 269 (370): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

[2] 308 (470): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

This last combo is relatively easy to do but it does not work on every char mid-screen (Guile for example). One option is to replace the c.MP with a linked c.LP into QCB+LK. This will result in 276 (430).

[0] 258 (460): HP© -> QCB+LK, c.HK (can also use c.HP to start)
[0] 322 (460): HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (can also use c.HP to start)

[2] 379 (600): HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP (can also use c.HP to start)

Very easy to perform when someone leaves themselves wide open and you know you can get a max-damage starter. If you aren’t 100% sure, use c.MP instead. This will do 30 less damage for each combo (but is very hard to mess up).

[2] 355 (650): HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 403 (650): HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

This is a variation on the combo above. It is useful if you feel your execution (and the connection) is good enough. It is a slight increase over the 379 damage combo above, and it comes with a greater risk. If you miss at any point before the QCB+LK, your opponent is still standing. If you aren’t 100% certain, stick with the early QCB+LK option.

- vs Crouching -

[0] 148 (250): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+P

You can actually do slightly more damage by finishing with c.MK instead of QCF+P but it’s really not worth it.

[1] 190 (320): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+PP
[1] 246 (355): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+KK

These options work against crouching opponents since QCB+LK will not hit. After EX Fireball in corner, DP+HP will connect 256 (380). For the second combo, sometimes the EX Hurricane hits 1 less time for a total of 218 (320) instead. Still slightly more damage than the first combo. With the opponent’s back in the corner, if the EX misses a hit, the opponent will remain in the corner and can be juggled with DP+HP for 284 (380).

[2] 310 (520): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+P -> FADC, c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 334 (520): c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+P -> FADC, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

The purpose of this combo is to take someone crouching and get them standing for the QCB+LK. The ultimate goal, of course, is to get them into the mixups off c.HK knockdown. Since it doesn’t work on all characters, you can finish with DP+HP instead. Pay attention to distance as well. If you are too close, you will get HK© and the combo will end.

- Stand HK(far) -

[0] 313 (520): HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 369 (520): HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

[2] 417 (640): HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 426 (711): HK(f), c.MP -> QCF+P -> FADC, HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 458 (711): HK(f), c.MP -> QCF+P -> FADC, HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

Very handy when fishing for stand HK(f) hits. You can also use c.LP instead of c.MP which will do 40 less damage to each of the 0 EX combos, and a little over 20 damage less to the 2 EX combos. When playing online, c.LP is much more reliable.

- Jumping -

[0] 303 (520): j.HK, c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 359 (520): j.HK, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

[2] 407 (640): j.HK, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

These are very basic jump-in combos that can be used in almost any jump-in opportunity. The reason I list c.MP instead of HP© is because depending on the range, HP© will come out and completely whiff. With c.MP, you can actually land and move up a short step before performing c.MP -> QCB+LK. You can actually walk up and HP© as well, but when you walkup c.MP, you are in perfect position to finish QCB+LK. If you decide to use HP©, the combo will do 389 damage total. If you decide to use the DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP finisher, you will add 48 more damage (for 407 and 437 damage respectively).

[2] 430 (720): j.HK, c.MP, c.MP -> QCF+P -> FADC, HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 454 (720): j.HK, c.MP, c.MP -> QCF+P -> FADC, HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

Here are more complex variations of the jump-in combo with 2 EX. These net 80 more stun and a slight damage increase. Not recommended for online play (or offline play if your execution isn’t up to par).

[0] 242 (385): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), c.LP-c.LP, c.LP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 282 (385): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), c.LP-c.LP, c.LP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

[0] 303 (520): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), HP© -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 359 (520): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

[2] 407 (640): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, DP+HP

[2] 425 (680): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), HP© -> QCF+P -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 425 (680): DP+K,K (Dive Kick), HP© -> QCF+P -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

Here are some variants of the Demon Flip Dive Kick combo. The first set is for use when you aren’t sure if the dive kick will hit or not so you utilize c.LP’s to hit-confirm. If the Dive Kick is done close (in front or as a crossup), all three c.LP’s will hit on most characters. If you know that the Dive Kick is going to hit for sure, then opt for stand HP© into QCB+LK. This will net you a ton more damage. It’s not recommended to use FADC cancels on the first combo due to the large amount of hits.

[2] 361 (570): (air) QCF+PP, HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 409 (570): (air) QCF+PP, HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

These combos are most useful when jumping straight up against opponents that like to c.MK or c.HK people that land from jumps. In order to get this combo consistently, make sure you take a step or two forward while the Fireballs are hitting in order to get in to the proper range for the far HK. If you are too far, your c.MP will miss. If you are too close, you will end up getting the close HK (which has no follow-ups).

- Counter Hit -

[0] 369 (595): c.MP(CH), HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 417 (595): c.MP(CH), HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

… more to come.

- Focus Attack -

[0] 292 (360): MP+MK (full), DP+HP
[2] 349 (500): MP+MK (full), DP+LP, FADC, HCB+HP

Both combos are easily done if you miss the Focus Attack Dash.

[0] 335 (550): MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[0] 383 (550): MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

[2] 422 (650): MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 401 (680): MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCF+P -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, c.HK
[2] 433 (680): MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCF+P -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

Very standard combos. You’ve seen this theme over and over. No need to explain.

[0] 564: MP+MK (full), dash, LP,LP,b,LK,HP (Ultra)

Pretty simple. Just practice your timing. Sort of a waste unless this combo will kill them seeing as Ultra RD does 600 DMG by itself.

[ OTHER COMBOS ]

[0] 163: c.LK-c.LP-c.LP, DP+LP (must be close)
[0] 175: c.LP-c.LP-c.LP, DP+LP (must be close)

[0] 164: c.LP-c.LP, DP+LP (works from most ranges except super far)
[0] 212: c.LP-c.LP, DP+HP (must be semi close for all 3 hits of DP+HP)

[0] 263: c.LK-c.LP, HP© -> DP+HP

*[0] 229: c.LK-c.LP, c.LK -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (vs standing only)
[0] 269: c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (vs standing only)
*[2] 308: c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP (vs standing only)

[2] 265: c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (vs standing only)
[4] 322: c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP (vs standing only)

[0] 212: c.MP, LP, c.MK -> QCB+HK(2-hits)

*[0] 322: HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (can also use c.HP to start)
[2] 350: HP© -> DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP
*[2] 379: HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP (can also use c.HP to start)
[4] 442: HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 391: HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.LP,HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
*[2] 403: HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[2] 442: HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 411: HP -> QCB+HK(1hit) -> FADC, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+LK -> DP+HP
[4] 441: HP -> QCB+HK(1hit) -> FADC, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+LK -> DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

*[0] 389: jump HK, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[2] 437: jump HK, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP
*[2] 455: jump HK, HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[4] 485: jump HK, HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 503: jump HK, far HK(2hit), HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[4] 524: jump HK, far HK(2hit), HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[0] 313: crossup MK, c.LP, HP© -> DP+HP
[2] 361: crossup MK, c.LP, HP© -> DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP
[2] 395: crossup MK, c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.HP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[4] 425: crossup MK, c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.HP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[0] 343: crossup MK, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (only if standing)
[2] 382: crossup MK, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+LK, HP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP (only if standing)

[0] 359: crossup MK, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (only if standing)
[2] 407: crossup MK, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+LP (only if standing)
[4] 455: crossup MK, HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP (only if standing)

*[0] 359: crossup MK, c.HP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
*[2] 407: crossup MK, c.HP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 389: crossup MK, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+HK(1hit) -> FADC, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[4] 401: crossup MK, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+HK(1hit) -> FADC, c.LP, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[4] 396: crossup MK, c.LP, c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HK(2-hits), c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HK(2-hits), c.MP -> QCB+LK -> DP+HP

[0] 270: crossup QCB+HK, DP+HP
[2] 330: crossup QCB+HK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[1] 308: HK(f), c.MP -> HCB+KK

• [0] 369: HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
    [2] 414: HK(f), c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
    *[2] 417: HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[4] 444: HK(f), c.MP -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[1] 370: HK(f), HP© -> QCB+KK

Focus Attack Combos:

[0] 204: MP+MK (full), QCB+HK (2) (FADC not needed, cannot be max range)
[0] 228: MP+MK (full), d+HK (FADC not needed)

*[0] 383: MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[0] 403: MP+MK (full), dash, c.MP, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

*[2] 422: MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 433: MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[4] 454: MP+MK (full), dash, HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+LP -> FADC, HCB+HP

[2] 372: MP+MK (full), dash, c.LP,HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, c.LP,c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP
[2] 405: MP+MK (full), dash, c.LP,HP© -> QCF+HP -> FADC, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

All Focus Attack Combos assume max level charge.

Silly Combos:

vs Gief: 394: crossup MK, c.MP, LP(f), HK(f), c.MP -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

vs Gief: 360: crossup MK, c.MP, LP(f), HK(f), LP(f), HK(f), c.MK -> QCF+HP … (can FADC here to continue)

vs Gief: 315: HK(f), LP(f), HK(f), LP(f), HK(f) … (c.MK to continue combo…)

Special Notes:

c.HP stands a crouching opponent up (works well for QCB+LK).
Most (if not all) jump in combos can begin with DP+K,K (subtract 30 dmg) or Dive Kick (subtract 40 dmg).

Links:

60: LP©, LP© (note: slight pause to link and not ‘chain’)
70: LP©, LK©

100: LP©, MP©
116: LP©, LP©, c.MP

124: LP©, LP©, MP(f)
116: LP©, LP©, c.MP
116: LP©, LP©, c.MK
156: LP©, LP©, HP(f)
148: LP©, LP©, c.HK

100: LP©, MK©
140: LP©, HK©
140: LP(f), HK(f)
140: LP(f), c.HK

100: c.LP, MP©
100: c.LP, c.MP
100: c.LP, c.MK
156: c.LP, c.MP, c.MK
130: c.LP, HP©

126: LK©, LP(f), c.MK
158: LK©, LP(f), HK(f)
110: LK©, c.MP
110: LK©, c.MK

106: c.LK-c.LP, c.MP
130: c.LK-c.LP, HP©
123: c.LK-c.LP-c.LP, c.MK
123: c.LK-c.LP, LP©, c.MK

166: c.MP, LK©, c.MK
140: c.MP, MP©
196: c.MP, c.MP, c.MK
140: c.MP, MK©
170: c.MP, HP©

196: HK(f), LP©, c.MK
180: HK(f), c.MP
180: HK(f), c.MK
210: HK(f), HP© (depends on starting position of far HK)

There are a lot of additional links. Would probably take forever to list them all.

So beeeeastly.

There’s a whole class of combos starting with cr.LK->cr.LP (link to something else) that are very important in real play because they allow you to hit confirm.

For example, I consider

cr.LK -> cr.LP link shoryuken
cr.LK -> cr.LP link cr.LK -> LK tatsu , FP shoryuken

to be fundamental to his play, since you can finish with a knockdown on hit, or stop at cr.LP and have frame advantage on block.

Yea, I haven’t yet added all the c.LK combos just yet. There are a bunch of interesting options that I need to update, especially in regards to combos that create setup opportunities.

A very helpful thread, thanks mate.

I’m gonna be maining Akuma. Thanks for the info, man.

I was winding my way through the tuts yesterday and got stuck when faced with Jumping HK, HP© -> QCB+LK, DP+HP

Between the HP© and QCB+LK seamed to be a very long cool down and won’t let me combo into QCB+LK.

Am I not close enough when the HP hits? In a match would MP or LP be a more advisable option because of a greater window of error. Does it have to be a LK or can I piano the inputs and still Dragon Punch after a QCB+HK/MK?

As far as Air FB combos I’ve found a lot of success simply following up with a red fireball.

jump, QCF+MP, HCB+HP for when charging forward pressuring an opponent.
jump, QCF+LP, HCB+HP for when being pressured and jumping back.

jump, QCF+MP/LP, QCB+MK+HK
This will do slightly more damage if all of the kicks land. It’s a little unreliable and the additional amount of damage delt over the red fireball isn’t worth the EX cost IMO. On the other hand you may be able to fit in some additional hits before tatsu to make it more worth it. An Air FB may even replace the jump kick in the above questioned combo.

Added a few more combos. Mostly ones that start with c.LK…

this is very helpful thanks

Really nice thread.
I’m using this Focus combo on the corner:

FA Lv.3, dash c.HP, EX Tatsu, Fierce DP.

i love you. this is awesome. sticky?

Wow its going to take me awile to threw all of these…but none the less grate post thanks for the info!

Don’t know if you all know this, but you can combo his LP air fireball into his Lv. 2 FA. It’s a great corner trap, because if they try to hit you, you’ll absorb their attack and/or they will eat the fireball. If they try to jump, they’ll eat the fireball and you can dash cancel the FA into HP SRK. If they try to block just do Lv. 3 FA.

I tried that a few times, but I must had mistimed or something, because I ended up eating a wake up DP.
I’ll try it tough, sounds like a good bait tactic.

I’ve done link HK to LP/c.LP -> QCB LK -> DP+HP in training but I can’t get it down consistent. Is it even a solid link or does it depend on the distance that the kick lands in order to get it?

Awesome thread, we need more like this; especially like how you asterisk the practical real fight combos

How the heck do you land
*[0] 229: c.LK-c.LP, c.LK -> QCB+LK, DP+HP (vs standing only)
I get the 3 hit combo but the last c.LK won’t 2-in-1 into a tatsumaki.
I have my console input turned on and it shows me doing the quarter circle back kick, but it just wont come out…

Also, is c.MP better than c.LP and s.LP for linking after s.HK?

It’s not a cancel, it’s a link.
You have to time it properly.

is there really enough hitstun from c.LK to get a tatsumaki off?

Great point. That’s sexy. I’ve been trying to incorporate FA’s more and this looks like a safe way to do it. :lovin: