Seth-in-depth Match-up Thread

Hey guys, this is going to be a new thread for tips on Seth matchups, as the old one is stickied but has no real information on the first page.

We will have tips against every character in the game, so start posting anything you have.

Facts over opinion please.

In other words don’t say “This is a character you need to play defensive against!” DO say “Standing HP punishes X”

I plan on keeping this updated as much as possible.
Credit will go to whoever inputs information.

EDIT: On second though, if anyone has any opinion on a specific matchup, such as strategies or just opinions, post them, and I will include them in the character’s section.

Abel

[details=Spoiler]
Tips

• SPD will catch Abel while he’s in a roll.

Things to watch out for

-His Ultra punishes Sonic Booms very easily.

-Falling Sky can pull you out of a j. HP (Stretchy Arms) if timed right.

-EX Change of Direction (1 Hit) can punish j. HP (Stretchy Arms) and then juggle into Ultra.

Contributors: Spaceman Spiff![/details]

Akuma

[details=Spoiler]
Tips

-HP Super on reaction beats out any Akuma air fireball.

-Ex SPD beats the 2nd kick in s.Roundhouse

Things to watch out for

-MP or HP Red Fireballs beat out Seth’s Super.

Contributors: Reipin Pillage, jalapNo[/details]

Balrog(Boxer)

[details=Spoiler]
Tips

-Standing HP can beat out all dashes, but it will not stop EX dashes.

-Shoryukens can beat out dashes if timed correctly.

-Tandem Engines beat out dashes.

-Super/Ultra beat out dashes.

-Lightning Legs beats out dashes.

-LP SPD punishes dash punches on block.

Things to watch out for

-He can hit your J. HP (Stretchy Arms) with Buffalo Headbutt, and potentially combo into Ultra.

-Very hard to cross up because of Buffalo Headbutt.

-Turn Around Punch and EX Dash Punches are commonly used to bypass Sonic Booms.

Blanka

[details=Spoiler]
Tips

• Standing HP punishes blocked and unblocked Horizontal Balls.

• Any Shoryuken can beat his Horizontal Ball or Super, and EX Shoryuken can beat his Ultra in its initial ark in the air.

• Ex Lightning Legs beats his Ultra after the initial arc.

• Ultra on react can hit him out of his Normal or EX Horizontal Balls, and his Ultra at any point after the initial stun.

• Standing HP (Not too close!) can hit through Electricity.

• MP and HP Super can punish blocked Horizontal Balls, however LP will not reach. Can also punish Horizontal rolls by using LP Special while they’re still in the air coming towards you.

Things to watch out for

• Slide and EX Ball can easily punish Sonic Booms.

-Electricity, Vertical Ball, Super, and Ultra are all extremely good anti airs, making Blanka a hard character to jump in on.

Contributors: u0999[/details]

Crimson Viper

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Cammy

[details=Spoiler]
Things to watch out for
-Cannon Spike will beat j.HP (Stretchy Arms)

-EX Cannon Drill, Super, and Ultra go through Sonic Booms.

-Spin Knuckle will pass through Sonic Booms.[/details]

Chun Li

[details=Spoiler]
Things to watch out for

-Standing HP can be punished by her Super or Ultra if blocked.

Dan

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Dhalsim

Spoiler

Work In Progress

E. Honda

[details=Spoiler]
Tips

-MK Lightning Legs can punish blocked HP Headbutt.

-LP Super can punish any blocked headbutt.

Things to watch out for

-Although Normal and EX Headbutt are stopped by projectiles, Super and Ultra go through Sonic Booms.

-His nj.HP will easily beat Seth’s j.HP (Stretchy Arms).

-Headbutts (especially the EX version) have insane priority, making s. HP and j. HP (Stretchy Arms) very risky.

Contributors: Reipin Pillage, Kikuichimonji[/details]

El Fuerte

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Fei Long

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Gen

[details=Spoiler]
-The cross-ups aren’t much of a problem anymore though (only in the left corner, with it’s weird cross-up properties). The new problem is how easy it has become for Gen to hit confirm into Super and then whatever comes after it. He can now cancel hands on the 4th hit, and if he gets one mp in, it’s easy to link into mk xx hands xx super > Ultra/Gekiro

At this point you’ll be pretty much at 20%.

-Gekiro has a mean, MEAN hitbox now. first of all, unthrowable, can’t meaty it and sometimes you can’t even cross it up. Second, I don’t know if it’s the situation it’s used in, but Gekiro seems to have extreme ease in auto-correcting, just like Seth’s teleport, this makes it so I can rarely cross him up. Even if you do “succeed” in crossing him up (which you probably won’t, because of how horizontal Seth’s body is on j.HK) you’ll just reset him out of the air and get no combo love.

-Don’t try to AA, jump AT him or Sonic Boom if he has Ultra 2 because he’ll just Maximum Spider your ass. Dive Kick won’t get you out of his way and remember to block it high.

-Crane Super is instantaneous now. If you are airborne and anywhere between roughly 2 chars distance of him, he’ll get you even if you’re an inch away from the ground, it’ll still catch you. Same for Crane U1, but a bit less drastic.

-I’m not entirely sure, but I believe all of his Supers and Ultras can catch limbs if times right.

+If he does get a knockdown on you and goes for ceiling jump oga (the vertical one) 99% of the time it’ll be a cross-up. He has no control over this, if you see a vertical Oga, block it cross-up UNLESS it’s pretty obviously coming down in front of you. 99%. If you guess wrong, Super, Ultra or Gekiro. Or all of them if he feels like it…

+I might be wrong on this, but seriously, don’t try to play footsies with him. st.mk (mantis) comes out in 4 frames, cancels into hands on the 4th hit, giving him time to hit confirm, which in turn cancels into Super which leads into Ultra.

+Punishing Gekiro is tricky at first, but if you focus really hard it becomes easier. Don’t hit him when he’s floating like an idiot in the air, because he can do another kick to go over your limb (or to catch it and get you into full Gekiro). Wait till you see him flipping and then deliver you punish. You really have to be quick, other wise you’ll just get thrown/thrown into another reversal Gekiro.

+Punishing Ogas is a bit hit and miss for me. Sometimes he recovers fast enough to Gekiro my punish (yes, this move is THAT godlike. It’s like srk in Vanilla) other times I manage to get a cr.mp or cr.mk xx legs in there.[/details]

Gouken

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Guile

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Ken

Spoiler

Work In Progress

M. Bison(Dictator)

[details=Spoiler]
Tips

-LP SPD can punish Scissor Kicks on block.

Rose

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Rufus

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Ryu

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Sagat

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Sakura

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Seth

Spoiler

Work In Progress

Vega(Claw)

Spoiler

Tips

• s. HP punishes his backflip dodge.

Zangief

Spoiler

Tips

-Standing HP beats out Lariats, and can stuff early normal Banishing Flats. It also pushes Gief away, even if blocked.

-Super and Ultra can punish both Lariats and Banishing Flats.

-If you head stomp after a wall jump, you can bounce off of Gief’s head to cover even more ground. This also usually beats lariats.

Things to watch out for

-His Neutral jump headbutt is 600 Stun on hit, and 750 on counter hit, which is enough to stun you in one hit.

-Ex Banishing Flat punishes Standing HP.

-Lariat beats j. HP (Stretchy Arms) about half the time, which is a horrible trade for Seth.

Contributors: Spaceman Spiff, Reipin Pillage, u0999, Kikuichimonji, Novastorm, Mariodood

New Characters:

Adon

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Cody

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Deejay

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Dudley

Spoiler
  • LP Machine Gun Blow is punishable on block by SPD.

• MP & HP Machine Gun Blow is punishable on block by cr.LP xx Lightning Legs

• EX Machine Gun Blow is punishable by any normal (except cr.HP) xx whatever.

Guy

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Hakan

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Ibuki

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Juri

[details=Spoiler]
-On block you can then punish “a pinwheel” with any c.hp combo, or s.hp xx sb xx super, and ex pinwheel is punishable by c.mk xx legs, ex srk, c.mk xx super and ultra. Or if you don’t want to block it you can srk (or ex srk) it, ex legs it, stomps it if you’re in the air on its startup, ultra it, or if you’re some distance away, super it.[/details]

Makoto

Spoiler

Work in progress.

T. Hawk

Spoiler

Work in progress.

Also saving this post.

Also stickying this thread.

Thanks a ton, now all we need is info! Get at it soldiers! I’ll work on what I know.

Im sure that if balrog jumps over booms you can punish the jumpin with well timed hk/ex hyaku’.this can also be used to armorbreak/punish EX dashes and turn punches through booms.
lp spds punish blocked dashpunches.

bisons scissor kick gets spd punished.idk anything else about that matchup.:rofl:

also,ive been trying to see how effective it is,but i know that with certain timing,neutral jump hk beats blankas up ball.not sure about EX,will have to confirm.

in the gief matchup,j.fp will win every time as long as you hit him in the head.easier said than done,but its consistent that way.

against chun, blocked s.fp gets punished by her ultra AND super.not sure whether she can punish on hit.i think so.also,only ultra punish her jumps/jumpins midscreen.when full screen she can walljump.
hope these are legit enough to be posted.:tup:

EX magic legs beats Blanka’s ultra any time after the arch. You can also hit him out of the intial arch but it takes a little timing.

For that matter, ex magic legs breaks down the majority of the casts ultras at almost any time.

I’ll test out how everyone’s ultras can get stuffed by this attack when I get home tonight.

Akuma air fireball = free FP super

Honda Fp headbutt can be punished on block with mk fireworks legs

flying fat can be punished with jab spd on block.

There is a really good thread about what can and can’t be punished on block in this section somewhere, it would be good to copy and paste that into your post. Save a lot of extra typing.

EDIT: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=185683

Hah, that thread practically makes this thread useless -.-

If I can get permission from the OP of that thread, I’ll add it all.

LP super punishes any headbutt, including EX.

Here is something to watch out for with Boxer: As near as I can tell, Boxer can punish your stretchy arms with any strength dash-punch even if he gets hit. I will test this more tonight as well.

Is that for real? I’ve never had that happen. Tell me what you find, then I’ll post it.

I’ll just copy paste my findings on Seth’s super from the other thread here:

@Wonder_Chef

Cool thread, good job. But for nerds, I think it would be a good idea to change the names in the OP for Balrog, Bison and Vega to Boxer, Dictator and Claw respectively. That or add them in parenthesis. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t beat Ryus as far as I know either.

Well, I made a conscious decision to leave it at what they are. The main reason is that that’s the name they’re called in their respective forum subsections here on SRK. I’ll do the parenthesis thing though, why didn’t I think of that -.-

I like teleporting in on akuma when he does the air fire balls and have my way with him.

It does…point blank Ryu’s ultra goes right trough you…

Ah, I didn’t try point blank. That’s pretty interesting.

This is a great idea. I love it.

How each char can get past Seth’s sonic boom/ultra trap:

Abel-> Rolls, Ultra

Akuma -> Air fireball after freeze, air EX tatsumaki after freeze

Balrog -> Neutral jump fierce to land on a sonic boom after the freeze (have not tested this)

Blanka -> Has lots of gimmicky ways. EX ball, slide, EX rainbow ball. Also has a fast jump
so its hard to do on him anyways

Cammy -> EX Divekick after the freeze

C. Viper -> Air flame kick after the freeze

Chun-Li -> Can jump backward over them near the wall and if Seth ultras, walljump forward.

Can maybe hazanshu over them at some ranges or hazanshu onto the sonic boom to trick
Seth (not tested)

Dan -> Dan kicks

El Fuerte -> Walljump after freeze

Dhalsim -> Yoga teleport, drills, etc

E. Honda -> Neutral jump fierce to land on the sonic boom after the freeze (? have not tested)

Fei-Long -> Nada

Gen -> Can change between two jump arcs, dive kicks may work.

Gouken -> Air tatsu after the freeze

Guile-> Nada (although he can match sonic booms with sonic booms most likely)

Ken -> Air tatsus after the freeze? (not tested)

M. Bison -> Nada

Ryu -> Air EX tatsu after the freeze

Rufus -> Jump over the sonic boom so that it’ll hit your ass when you come back down. If Seth Ultras this, you will just fall on the boom. If he doesn’t, you can dive over it. This seems…semi-solid.

Rose -> Nada

Sagat-> Nada

Sakura-> Air tatsu after the freeze

Seth -> Dive kick after the freeze, walljump

Vega -> Wall jump

Zangief -> Nada