Seth-in-depth Match-up Thread

by this do you mean that if you can get under the angle of akumas zanku,then he’s free upon landing?ive got no clue whether this is true or not.please clarify.:tup:

Edit* IVE PLAYED YOU BEFORE!:rofl: i remember ALL my seth mirrors,it was a good match too.:tup:

things to watch out for with abel,he can upgrab you out of j.fp if timed right.
and his ultra goes through booms,but if youre fullscreen/max distance it still wont reach.punish with ultra/super.=)

also,he can do one ex rekka to punish j.fp,and at the right distance,he can backdash > ultra,and it connects…and it HURTS.:sweat:

So, what do you guys think about including big lists in the 2nd and 3rd posts?

By that I mean, things like Mariodood’s excellent list of ways to get out of the Ultra - Sonic Boom trap. I could potentially post things like that in the character’s section, but there’s so much info that it could make them a bit lengthy…

You can teleport next to Akuma if he does a fireball at the apex of his jump and hit him when he lands, since he has recovery. I’m not sure you can do this on reaction though., it might be more of a pyschic thing…

EDIT: also please take out “credit” from me. I don’t need credit for anything as I probably picked it up from someone else and if I found it myself, there was plenty of stuff other people helped me with on this forum by sharing knowledge.

mariodood: fuerte can also get our of sonic boom/ ultra trap by hk slide under sonic boom. if seth ultras, fuerte recovers fast enough to block. (maybe not if he does this within half screen of seth, not sure, but i dont think seth would be using the trap here anyway)

continue discussion from the last match up thread. fuerte def has advantage on seth. he has alot of anti seth tools, guac legs being a huge one. it stays out way longer than srk and it grabs seth regardless of if he HP or not. it even beats ex shoryu. also if seth thinks he can tele out of fuertes mix ups, fuerte can easily ultra him through option selects.

What are these magic option selects everyone keeps talking about?

I know what an option select is, I’m asking how the hell you option select ultra.

You do a crossup jumping fierce on seths wakeup then input an ultra command at the same time as the fierce would hit. If seth shoryus, the fierce beats it, ultra won’t come out and you get rsf. If seth teleports or does fireworks kicks, fierce whiffs and ultra comes out, it even auto corrects for you to hit whichever teleport he did, it’s pretty convenient.

The easiest way for fuerte to avoid that sonic boom trap is to just ex run straight at seth. No way to keep fuerte at full screen if he doesn’t want to be there.

j.d.mk above gouken’s waist bounces seth too high to get hit by counter.

Against Blanka:

-EX and HK lightning legs beat electricity as long as you’re not right on top of him
-Tandem engines beat electricity (obviously)
-EX and HP SRK beat electricity at max range

I think most balls can be punished with lightning legs on block but it’s too much of a pain in the ass for me to set it up in training mode

edit: and why not worry about Ryu, Sagat, Ken, and Akuma before ELF for christ’s sake, I can’t remember the last time I played a Fuerte. His splash beats neutral/back j.hp, that’s all I remember

Just my 2 cents =)

Sorry guys, I haven’t had a computer avaliable for about 24 hours, I’ll get to updating tonight.

Just did another test run, on PC this time, and Seths super beats out Dhalsim and Sakura’s EX fireballs.

Loving this. Would love more for Saget

Akuma-

Tips:

Ultra beats Ex/Regular Air, standing, and red fireballs

Jumping toward/back MP (Strong) beats out Demon flip and Palm if done early enough.

HP Super beats regular Air Fireball

Ex SPD beats the 2nd kick in s.Roundhouse

Jumping/Jumpback HP (j.Fierce) beats out Ultra/Super

Watch out for:

c.MK (crouching forward) to Ultra on Jump-ins and wall jumps.

Ex Air fireballs/Ex Standing Fireballs/Red Fireballs (2hits or 3) all beat out Super.

c.HP (Crouching Fierce) or SRK beat out jump-ins and wall jumps.

Demon Palm beats late back-dash or late jump outs.

Sagat Tip: Engine sucks Sagat out of his Ultra for a punish

If someone tries to use cr.mk as anti-air, you can actually headstomp to catch their leg. This allows you to beat cr.mk -> ultra, I believe, because they’ll get hit before the ultra comes out. I wouldn’t recommend doing it a lot versus characters with a DP, though. Great versus Chun.

LP shoryu -> stomps beats Akuma’s demon flips cold basically. You just gotta be on point and throw it out early enough. I’ve never been palmed out of lp shoryu, so I don’t know if it’s possible.

If Akuma ultras, there are two ways to punish reliably. The first is to ultra. The second is to hold up back after the animation and use j.hk. You’ll almost always catch him and get a punisher combo.

Ultra-ing a smart Akuma’s air fireballs is actually very hard. You have to wait for him to throw a fireball, and then you have to continue waiting a short bit for him to fall. Basically you want to do it right before you’d have to block the air fireball standing, I believe.

EX Shoryu/EX SPD will beat air fireball on your wakeup for free. Just make sure that he’s not just gonna block if you shoryu. You have to respect his mixup off of a blocked air fireball. Don’t teleport backwards if it will put you in the corner, it’s hard to get out of there versus Akuma.

I have not found using EX Legs through air fireballs to be good. Usually you’ll trade and only do 5 damage.

Remember that Akuma has lower than average stun, so EX Tandem combos will pay off more often.

WHAAAAAAT? Does any engine work ?

Versus whiffed Blanka Up Ball, you can punish it with lp shoryu -> stomps. I think it has a few recovery frames on the ground, but I don’t know if it’s worth it to go for a bigger punish with cr.hp lest ye eat EX electricity.

You can also punish whiffed slide with s.hp.

Versus Cammy, she doesn’t have to EX drill underneath booms. She can just do any version underneath Sonic Boom. It just is so high relative to other projectiles that she fits underneath.

And yeah, you don’t have to credit me for shit. I just want to contribute to a resource I’m gonna use.

The only problem with that is I’ve met some Akuma players with SUPERB execution, and those first few invincibility frames makes them invulnerable as long as they get it to the T. Your headstomp/roundhouse/dive kick I’ve seen to whiff and Demon’d. If that’s not true, then thank you for explaining to me that I’ve been the one doing it wrong this whole time! :smiley:

Jab Tandem Engine works, I don’t see why any of the others wouldn’t. Super does the same thing.

Actually i’ve been facing so many “i jumped so i HAVE to do fierball” akuma players that i’m not too sure on this…i’ve started ultra where the freeze happened just before their air hadouken even cam out and it still grabbed them…i really have had zero trouble with akuma air-fb…it’s the air tatsu’s that get me every time.

I haven’t seen any instance where the Akuma was jumping backward or forward and throwing a Fireball where I did not catch them. I believe it’s because after an air fireball, Akuma has recovery frames, meaning if you see the frames of an air fireball, you can Ultra, and it will catch them (Also meaning you are invincible because of the Ultra Cinematics).

Air Tatsu seems to be a Shotos best friend these days, instead of Ultra, I would suggest back kick teleport and get the furthest out of the situation.

i dont even know what a REGULAR option select is,:sweat: