Sagat Combo Thread

I had noticed that the Sagat sub-forum, unlike many other characters, was missing a thread to compile and discuss combos. Starting this thread to do just that. Before the naysayers chime in, i’m aware some of this information is available in the QA thread or through online guides. However, since there’s no thread devoted to combo discussion this should be a good place to not only quickly access combo related information, but also help curb the creation of various combo-specific threads.

**Key

Six Button Notation

LP: Light Punch/Jab
MP: Medium Punch/Strong
HP: Heavy Punch/Fierce
LK: Light Kick/Short
MK: Medium Kick/Foward
HK: Heavy Kick/Roundhouse

Joystick Notation

F - Forward - Tilt stick forward/towards the opponent. (X-axis)
B - Backward/Back - Tilt stick backward/away from the opponent. (X-axis)
U - Up - Tilt stick upwards. (Y-axis)
D - Down - Tilt stick downwards. (Y-axis)
DF - Down-forward
DB - Down-back
QCF - Quarter circle forward/Hadouken/Fireball - Tilt stick downwards, then to downwards and forward, then forward.
QCB - Quarter circle backward - Tilt stick downwards, then to downwards and backward, then backward.
HCF - Half circle forward - Tilt stick backwards, then to downwards and backward, then to downward, then to downwards and forward, then forward.
HCB - Half circle backward - Tilt stick forwards, then to downwards and forward, then to downward, then to downwards and backward, then backward.
DP - Dragon punch - Tilt stick forwards, then to downward, then to downward and forward.
360/FC - Full circle - Complete a full rotation of the stick.
720 - N/A - Complete a 720 degree rotation of the stick.
Charge - Hold a tilt - Hold the stick in either B or D (Depending) then move to F or U respectively.

Connectors

+: Used between two other pieces of notation to signify that they should be performed at the same time
> (Sometimes -> or ,): Indicates the next part of a sequence
xx (Sometimes x): Used between two other pieces of notation to signify that the first should be cancelled (Interrupted earlier than it would finish otherwise) into the second
~: Indicates that the preceding action should link (immediately follow with) into the next action
/: Used to show when two or more options are available at that point in a sequence, invariably to show that they both produce similar if not identical results

Misc

EX: EX moves are given special properties requiring one bar of super meter.
J. : Jumping
C. : Crouching
CS. : Close Standing
FS. : Far Standing
Fwd: Forward; hold down the joystick towards your opponent while performing the move
Dmg: Damage
TU: Tiger Uppercut
TS: Tigershot
TK: Tiger Kick
FADC: Focus Attack Dash Cancel; canceling a move through use of a focus attack then dashing out of it.

BnB Combos
(the following is a list of Sagat’s go to, “bread and butter”, combos)

c.lk, c.lk, c.lp xx tiger uppercut
this is your go to close range combo. allows you plenty of time to hit confirm before executing the tiger uppercut. This combo leads to a number of options. If you have ex meter, fadc the tiger uppercut, fwd.hk, ultra*. If the opponent is near a corner, c.lk, c.lp, ex low TS, ultra. If the initial c.lk is blocked switch to c.lk, c.lp, c.lk, low ts which does decent chip damage, is safe on block, and helps puts some space between you and your opponent.

*tip: if your having problems canceling from c.lp into the tiger uppercut and are using a joystick with a square gate try holding downforward while doing the combo, then slide the stick along the bottom gate to down, then back to downforward and hit HP to execute the TU. This is a shortcut motion for TU

tiger uppercut, fadc, fwd.hk, ultra
this is a solid method for landing the ultra. the best part about it is that since so many of your moves are cancelable into TU, you have tons of opportunity to poke your way into an ultra.

c.mk xx low tiger shot
decent way to add some damage to your poke. use EX to knock your opponent back and score a knockdown. 160dmg 2hits

lk xx low tiger shot
better poke (has fewer startup and recovery frames than the cr.mk) but more strict timing on the cancel into low tiger shot. 110dmg 2hits

j.hk, c.mk xx TK/TS/TU
good jump in combo for when you decide to go on the offensive. use j.hk, c.mk xx TU, fadc, fwd.hk, ultra for a consistent way to land the ultra. also, j.hk, c.mk xx ex low TS can be used in the corner to combo into the ultra. 346dmg 3hits (TU)

fwd.hk, (optional 2nd fwd.hk), Ultra/Low TS/TK
Sagat’s forward+roundhouse is a good anti-air move with great combo potential. 500dmg 11hits (1 fwd.hk, ultra), 594dmg 12hits (2 fwd.hk, ultra)

Additional Combos

FADC Tigershots
Hazeandfire has provided and extremely thorough writeup of the many uses for a FADC’ed tigershot. Check it out here.

lk, low tiger shot, fadc, c.mp, hp TU
constant pressure, not to mention very flashy. As always, the TU can be fadc’ed to fwd.hk, ultra. combo contributed by il0veb00ty

Any traded tiger uppercut, TK/TS/EX TS/ fwd hk, Ultra
punish your opponent for any traded tiger uppercut. combo contributed by il0veb00ty

Counter hit c.hp, hp tiger uppercut
Extremely deadly link, especially if you have enough meter to FADC into Ultra. The full combo ending in Ultra can do as much as 708 damage. combo and description contributed by Tofu Warrior

cl.mk, c.lp xx hp tiger uppercut
A strange link, very rarely used because there are few opportunities to land a cl. forward. I usually try this combo after a cross up j. short. combo and description contributed by Tofu Warrior

cl.lp, c.mp xx low tiger shot
Because cl. jab gives so much advantage on hit and block, this is an extremely easy link. Cl. jab has really bad start up, so I use this mostly in block strings for the great push back. combo and description contributed by Tofu Warrior

j.hp, c.hp, c.lp xx hp tiger uppercut
Only works on characters with wide hitboxes (Gief and Honda are the only presently confirmed this works on) but does huge damage. combo contributed by ToOoOomeke

lp, lp, hk
Quick, simple, damaging. combo contributed by il0veb00ty

cr.lk, cr.lk, cr.lk, hk
A variation of the above combo. combo contributed by SD8

j.mk, c.mk, LTS, FADC, mp, TU, FADC, f.hk, Ultra
’HazeandFire’s flashy combo of doom’. Pull this off in a match and achieve instant legendary status. combo contributed by Quest2be1
Quest2be1 was cool enough to record a video of this ridiculous combo, [media=youtube]ZtXuMbVbGQ4"[/media]

**j.hp, c.lk,c.lp, LTS, FADC, c.lk,c.mp, TU, FADC, f.hk, Ultra **
Sometimes its better to look cool than to worry about damage scaling. combo contributed by Quest2be1
Click [media=youtube]-H3lP12-0lM"[/media] for a video of Quest2be1 pulling this off.

Please feel free to discuss additional combos, questions about combo execution, etc. I’ll go through and continue to update this post with additional combos as they’re added.

• ** Keys section borrowed liberally from ToOoOomeke’s excellent Balrog combo thread. Figured there was no reason to reinvent the wheel (especially when ToOoOomeke did such a good job).*

Someone started a thread like this a week or 2 ago… it’s a good idea, but it’s gotta be stickied or it won’t stay

Possible one for the super

J.mk c.mk. TK, cancel after the first hit of the TK into the super combo.

If you let both hits of the Tiger knee through only the first part of the combo will hit and then the uppercut part will whiff

not if you are in the corner or use lk for the super… But there are better uses for that meter IMO.

Some combos I use pretty regularly

c. lk, c. lp, LTS

also, a variation of that sequence above in the corner. the range on this is deceptive. you can land it from almost a quarter screen away from the corner

c. lk, c. lp, EX TS, Ultra

lk, LTS, EX FADC, mp, hp TU

if you hit trade with a TU, you can TK/ TS/ EX TS/ fwd hk, Ultra etc…

Also, one that is pretty easy to land for an easy 200 damage and like 260 stun would be lp, lp, hk.

Good stuff! Now I’m gonna use it to beat you jozu!

Ive noticed that on some characters , 2 l.k into l.p into TU just isnt possible , and for some ( Honda , Abel) you can do three? the timing for the crouching L.k is very strange to me for some reason.

l.p will wiff if you messed up the timing.

I never whiff the l.p its the upper cut after the lp.

I’m all about combos and I’m happy to see there is one for Sagat.

For pushback I use…
c.lk c.lk c.lp > Low TS

An excellent punisher, simple and to the point.
c.mk > TU
mp > TU
TU > FADC > f.HK > Ultra
c.mk > TU > FADC > f.HK > Ultra

If I have the opportunity in the last round I go for…
c.mk > LTS > FADC > mp > TU > FADC > f.hk > Ultra

I never thought about this before booty lp, lp, hk ? Any other variations with hk work?

This combo is so unreliable for me “c.lk, c.lk, c.lp xx tiger uppercut” It seems like 80% of the time the TU whiffs or the c.lp whiffs. Of course when the TU whiffs on something like that you’re gonna get get punished hard. I also feel like I get reversaled on this combo way too often. I do not play offline and I am on a pad so I’m sure this enhances my frustration. Side rant… I hate executing accidental supers pounds head

Counter hit cr. fierce, fierce Tiger Uppercut:

Extremely deadly link, especially if you have enough meter to FADC into Ultra. The full combo ending in Ultra can do as much as 708 damage.

Cl. forward, cr. jab xx HP Tiger Uppercut:

A strange link, very rarely used because there are few opportunities to land a cl. forward. I usually try this combo after a cross up j. short.

Cl. jab, cr. strong xx Low Tiger Shot:

Because cl. jab gives so much advantage on hit and block, this is an extremely easy link. Cl. jab has really bad start up, so I use this mostly in block strings for the great push back.

And now for a dumb, impractical, but funny combo:

In the corner, at about 2.5 - 3 training mode squares away from your opponent, Jab Tiger Shot, EX High Tiger Shot, EX Low Tiger Shot. The spacing is pretty specific, but this works, for about 280 damage.

That is all I know of. it is just a variation on Easy Trial #5 for Sagat. I suppose that you could do cr LK, LP, HK too, but you are kinda limited seeing that the only thing that links into a HK is LP. Because it gives you the greatest hit advantage of all his moves.

c. lk, c.lk, s. hk works too

Cool cool booty and sd8. I like that HK thing. I fooled around with it last night and noticed this works as well c.lk,c.lk,c.lk,HK.

I capped a combo that I finally realized how to land in actual gameplay. HazeandFire is the one who told me about the combo. Here it is capped if you’d like to know what it looks like.
j.mk > c.mk > LTS > FADC > mp > TU > FADC > f.hk > Ultra
[media=youtube]ZtXuMbVbGQ4[/media]

Nice video! I will try to link that combo tonight :slight_smile:

Ahh, ya beat me to it. I started a Tigershot FADC combo thread that looked into the many variations and applications of that combo a few months ago. It should be noted that damage scaling makes a second FADC a bit of a waste and an ultra after does pathetic damage. If it wins the match then it wins the match but if i have meter and ultra I opt for the c.lk c.lk c.lp TU FADC ultra.

the damage scaling sucks ass but it looks as sexy as hell to finish someone off with. if u have 4 bars and can hit confirm a jumpin then it wouldnt hurt to whip it out for show. u have to be sure that it’ll finish them off though cause ye its a waste of meter imo.

Updated with reply info. Great stuff guys, keep it coming!

Remember, feel free to discuss combo execution questions here too.

I’ll come up with the damage scores for each of the combos listed in post #1. I’ll either post them all here or send them to you one at a time. Also, if the majority of the people like seeing a video of the combo I don’t mind capping each combo seperately and posting them. Might be a cool edition to our one and only Sagat Combo Thread :smiley:

By the way booty, I really really like that c.lk,c.lk,c.lk,hk and c.lk,c.lk,hk combo.

one more combo

you mentioned cr.lk cr.lk standing HK. You can do cr. lk cr. lk cr. lk standing HK for a 5 hit combo too. Same thing as the combo you said but you get 1 more crouching lk. the crouching lk’s are links obviously.

thanks, corrected