Ryu's Punishes after block

I decided recently that I intend to go through the game and make notes on every move that Ryu can potentially punish on block and how best to do so. It’s a rather large undertaking, but one that should hopefully be very helpful and I thought that since I was doing it I may as well share it for people to see. At the moment I’ve made a complete list for Birdie and am mostly finished with Cammy. I intend to continue in alphabetical order until I’m done. I hope to be finished doing this within the next month, but I make no promises for a specific timeframe.

At the moment I’m specifically working on punishing things after blocking them. I don’t intend to spend time yet on punishing things like command throws or moves that can be reactively parried for a punish.

To save myself a bit of time I have a few things to preface this information with. First, Doing Ryu’s Critical Art as a reversal will punish very nearly any unsafe move. Take is as assumed that if a move is on this list then it can be punished with reversal Critical Art, if for some reason that isn’t the case I will specifically say so. Secondly in the case of moves that grant you enough time that you can easily land anything you want I’ll just say that you can use Ryu’s Max Damage Punish. At the moment the highest damage meterless punish that I’m aware of is MP, cr.HP xx HP DP. If you have meter for Critical Art then adding it afterwards is beneficial. If you have full V guage available then the best I know of is cr.HP xx V trigger activation, HK, cr.LP xx HP DP. Again you can add Critical Art is you have the meter and wish to use it. In Crush Counter Punish situations then the combos are the same, just add Crush Counter HK followed by a very brief walk forward to the start of the previous combos.

In cases where punishes are range specific I intend to denote range with the unit of training room blocks. If you load up the training room then you’ll note the boxes drawn on the floor. I intend to use the boxes created by the bolded lines as 1 and the boxes made of smaller grey lines as .1. So by this measurement the starting position at the beginning of a round is 2. The number is meant to indicate the space between Ryu and the opponent BEFORE the opponent attacks.

The format I intend to follow is to list any punishable normals or command normals, then target combos, then special moves, then critical art. If for some reason Ryu’s critical art won’t work as a punish to the move in question then I’ll say so right off. I’ll start from the longest range and most reliable option and if other interesting options present themselves discuss those afterwards.

EDIT: Alright, done with a first pass on every character! I feel pretty good about most of these but I certainly might have overlooked some things or messed something up. If you spot something like that I’d love to hear about it. At some point in the future I’ll probably do a second pass but for the immediate future I’m gonna jump in and actually play this game for a while. Especially now that I’ve got a handy (giant unwieldy) list of stuff to practice.

Alex

[spoiler]
Introducing a new category here. At some point I might revise other characters to match where applicable but don’t count on it happening tomorrow.

Technically punishable but never gonna happen, just including it to be thorough.
cr.mk- If they do it point blank then light or EX DP will punish, not super. There’s no reason they would ever do that though.
HP- If they don’t cancel it (which they always will) and they’re also at point blank range then light or EX DP will punish, super will not.

Now the practical stuff.

cr.HP- Combos starting with cr.HP will punish from any range, from point blank you can do MP, cr.HP for extra damage.
HK- There is a small space at 1.8 blocks where this move is safe against reversal super. From 1.7 block or closer reversal super punishes. From 1.4 blocks or closer lk xx mk tatsu will punish.
cr.HK- Ryu’s own sweep will reliably punish at any range. EX tatsu and super will both work if you want to spend meter for more damage or to push him away.
f+MP- At max range this overhead is safe from super. From .8 blocks or closer super will punish. From .4 blocks or closer LK xx MK tatsu will punish.

Flash Chop

LP and HP chop can be spaced for safety from super, I couldn’t find a safe spacing for MP chop. From closer ranges LK xx tatsu becomes available as a punish. Stronger versions of flash chop move Alex forward more, so they are punishable from farther away. Spacings listed by version below.

LP- 1.4 blocks safe from super, 1.3 blocks punishable by super, 1 block LK punishes
MP- Always punishable by super, 1.3 blocks LK punishes
HP 1.8 blocks safe against super, 1.7 blocks super punishes, 1.5 blocks LK punishes

EX Flash Chop is completely safe on block.

Slash Elbow

LK- safe from super at max range. Punishable by super at 1.8 blocks. Punishable by LK at 1.5 blocks.
MK- safe from super at max range. Punishable by super at 2.8 blocks. From 2.3 block or closer cr.MK xx tatsu or HP DP will punish. Due to pushback MP and cr.HP will not reach at any range. Max damage from 2.3 blocks or closer is reversal HP DP xx super.
HK- From max range safe against super. From 3.5 blocks punishable by super. From 3 blocks sweep will punish. No other normals will punish, either too slow or don’t reach due to pushback.
EX- Always punishable by super, EX tatsu or HK. If you’re any closer than fullscreen you can use HK, LK xx HP DP, or if you have V trigger then cr.HP xx V trigger, HK combos.

Stomp
All meterless versions can always be punished with LK xx tatsu or reversal super. Depending on how high Alex is when he makes contact higher damage punishes may be available but it’s hard to spot in a match so I recommend sticking to what always works. Potential higher damage punishes include reversal HP DP, MP x HP DP or HP xx tatsu but at very particular spacings these will not work.

EX version is completely safe on block

Critical Art
Due to strange hitboxes during Alex’s recovery MP, cr.HP will not work. Use combos starting with HK or cr.HP xx V-trigger activation.[/spoiler]

Birdie

[spoiler]
cr.MP- cr.MP xx EX tatsu will always punish. cr.MP xx fireball is reliable and meterless but less damage. MP xx HP DP or cr.MP xx HP DP both do the same damage as ending with EX tatsu but are unreliable at the farthest ranges.
cr.MK- At max range super will not punish. At approximately .5 blocks away super or LK both begin to work as punishes. Unlikely you’ll see this much but you never know what bad habits people might have.
HP- No punish at max range. Super punishes from 1 block away. LK xx EX tatsu punishes from roughly .8 blocks
f+HP- at max range super only. From 1.5 blocks combos beginning with cr.HP will punish. cr.MP will work from slightly farther but any special you cancel into will frequently whiff so it isn’t very rewarding.
df+HP- odd pushback. reversal super only on meatiest connect, LK xx EX tatsu on anything else
cr.HP- If spaced meaty so that Birdie follows through with the animation only punish is reversal super. If animation is stopped due to blocking sweep is guaranteed. If close then any combo starting with cr. HP is ideal.
f+HK- overhead. reversal super always works, LK xx MK or EX tatsu works at point blank
cr.HK- reversal super from any range, Sweep from close enough to reach. If they’re point blank anything you want. If sweep won’t reach and you don’t have super then it’s a free chance to walk into Ryu’s poke range.

Headbutt (No V Trigger)
LP, MP and EX versions all punishable by sweep. EX version has extra pushback so only sweep works, LP and MP can potentially leave you closer for stronger punishes starting with HK or cr.HP
HP version is significantly more safe than other versions, cannot be punished with any heavy buttons. Can be differentiated by much longer startup period than any other version. Use cr.MP xx tatsu instead, or if at max range consider cr.MP xx EX fireball for safety.

Headbutt with V Trigger active
All versions punishable with sweep. LP and MP versions can potentially be spaced for safety from sweep, though even then reversal super always works. Spacing HP or EX for safety seems impractical due to their extremely long range.

Bull Horns (No V-Trigger)
Meterless Version can be punished with anything on block, you’ve got time to walk into range for MP, cr.HP xx DP into super if you have it, or use V trigger to extend your combo.
EX version can be punished with HK xx V-trigger into target combo, or if you don’t have V-guage then just target combo. Sweep also works.

Bull Horns with V trigger active
Meterless version pushes Birdie in closer while still just as unsafe, can go directly into MP, cr.HP punish combo with no need to walk in.
EX punishes seem the same as non v-trigger version.

Hanging Chain
There seems to be an extremely tiny space at the very edge of LK and MK Chain that is safe against reversal super. It doesn’t appear to be present on the EX version. Otherwise reversal super is a reliable punish, and I didn’t notice any other significant differences in the EX version. If you are already in V trigger then EX fireball can punish from a range of about 2 blocks. At 1.5 blocks You can walk forward and land HK xx Vtrigger, cr.HK or use reversal HK tatsu. I doubt you’ll end up blocking this move point blank very often but if you do then you can land whatever you want.

Super
Birdie’s recovery hitboxes are odd and will prevent Ryu’s MP, cr.HP link from working because the cr.HP will whiff. I suggest using forward+HP instead for meterless/super combos or using HK or cr.HP cancelled into V trigger and continuing your combo from there.[/spoiler]

Cammy

[spoiler]
cr.MK- Critical Art cannot punish, LP DP and EX DP can at point blank but this is not something you should look to punish in a practical sense.
HP- Same story as cr.MK, Critical art can’t punish, DP potentially can but honestly you shouldn’t try it.
cr.HK- Your own sweep can punish even from absolute max range. More rewarding possibilities exist point blank but are unlikely to see. If you want more damage use Critical Art.

back+MP xx HK Target Combo- LK xx MK tatsu, can cancel into EX tatsu or Critical Art for Extra damage. Sweep always works if you want to keep it simple.

Spiral Arrow (Non V-Trigger)
The important thing here is that from close range any meterless version of spiral arrow allows Ryu to get a Max Damage Punish. EX version complicates this by passing through you, but Critical Art and Sweep will both punish it every time. I didn’t find anything else reliable enough to be worth mentioning. Due to Cammy passing through you during the EX version you’ll want to do the first quarter circle of the Critical Art motion forwards, then the second backwards after she passes through you.

This next part is a little complicated and less practical.

LK, HK and EX Spiral Arrow without V trigger can be spaced to be completely safe on block. In order to do this they have to connect at the very last frame of their active period which requires extremely specific spacing. Approximate distances at which they are safe against crouching Ryu are LK=2.0 HK=2.8 EX=3.0
I was unable to find a spacing that resulted in MK spiral arrow being safe against reversal LP DP. When responding to a blocked Spiral Arrow at these ranges I suggest using a confirm combo instead of a direct punish. Even when she’s safe she’s still at a disadvantage so your buttons will probably win out. Watch out for Cannon Spike though.

Spiral Arrow (With V-Trigger Active)
With V trigger active all versions of Spiral Arrow will always pass through you on block and are always unsafe. Critical Art and Sweep will always punish. As with EX is is useful to do the first half of the Critical Art motion forward and the second part backward. If you’re in the corner and block a V trigger Spiral Arrow then you can use reversal EX tatsu linked into EX DP as a punish.

Cannon Spike (No variation due to V trigger on block.
Walk forward slightly into Max Damage Crush Counter Punish

Cannon Strike
If spaced correctly it is safe, and I can’t think of a way to quantify where it is and isn’t safe within the scope of what I’m trying to accomplish here. I think this might be better suited for a discussion in the matchups thread, and I’m pretty much just putting this here to head off questions.

Critical Art.
Pushes her to point blank range for Max Damage Punish. She recovers crouching so don’t try to start with HK. If it whiffs over your head it’s hard to chase down.[/spoiler]

Chun Li

[spoiler]
LK- It is technically possible to punish this on block with LP or EX DP. I would bet money that no one will ever do it on purpose in a real match. I’m only even putting it on the list because of stubborn pedantry.
cr.MP- Completely safe on latest possible connect, even against super. At 1.5 blocks it is entirely safe. At roughly 1.4 blocks critical art will punish. At .9 blocks cr.HP xx V trigger or HP DP will punish. From point blank max damage punishes available. NOTE: During V trigger you need to be about .1 blocks closer for punishes starting with normals. Critical Art punish seems the same.
cr.HP- LK xx EX Tatsu will whiff if blocked at the very farthest tip of the second hit. Otherwise perfectly reliable. From point blank max damage is MP, cr.MP xx EX tatsu or fireball for meterless version. Reversal HP DP is reliable and easy. NOTE: Completely safe during V trigger
cr.HK- EX tatsu punishes at any range. At .7 blocks Ryu’s sweep will punish. At about .8 blocks it is possible to walk forward for a few frames and sweep to punish, but this is both difficult and risky. Max Punishes available point blank. NOTE: During V trigger if spaced at absolute max distance becomes safe against EX tatsu. Spacing is incredibly small, would be extremely difficult to replicate during a match so if you have bar I recommend trying to punish anyway. Punishes are otherwise unaffected by V trigger.

Kikoken
Any meterless kikoken blocked on it’s first active frame can be punished with super. EX is safe. cr.MP can punish the medium and light versions but frankly there’s no reason for Chun Li to do this move at this range so don’t bank on seeing it much.

Lightning Legs
Sweep punishes all meterless versions of lightning legs on block. Out at the edges where a few hits will whiff it can be awkward but it’s always still possible. After blocking the LK version point blank MP, cr.HP works, on MK or HK you have to go straight to cr.HP. EX version is safe.

Air Lightning Legs
Instant air HK and EX versions let you get a max punish on block, which is why no one is ever going to do it to you on purpose. LK and MK are safe if done at minimum height.

Spinning Bird Kick
Standard Max Punish on every meterless version. EX Version can be crush counter punished, however it recovers low which causes HK to miss. Do a standard punish instead, they do more damage than HP crush counter combos. EDIT: Either I made a mistake or they adjusted her recovery in a patch, There’s enough standing recovery for Ryu to punish with an immediate HK to start his best crush counter punish combo. Make sure to do it quickly.

V Skill
If you block the hit on the way up then you can use Critical art or HP DP to punish. EX DP requires a short walk forward. Sweep as she lands is also an option, she doesn’t have trip guard when she lands from V skill regardless of what she does in the air.

Critical Art
Walk in slightly to make MP, cr.HP work or just start with cr. HP if you prefer simplicity.[/spoiler]

Dhalsim

[spoiler]
cr.LK- If spaced with absolute perfection this move is safe against Critical Art. LP DP or EX DP will always punish this move, even at it’s farthest possible spacing. At about .5 blocks MP, cr.MP xx fireball is the ideal meterless punish. At point blank Ryu can use his max damage punish combos.
cr.MK- At max range (about 1.8 blocks) it’s completely safe. A little bit plus actually. At 1.5 blocks can be punished with Critical art. At 1 block can be punished it MP, cr.MP xx fireball. At point blank Max Damage Punish
cr.HK- At max range critical art is only punish. At 2 blocks cr.MP xx fireball will punish. At 1.5 blocks or closer Max damage punish.

MP- Safe at the vast majority of its range. At .5 blocks super will punish, from point blank LK xx MK tatsu will punish but don’t count on being in a position to punish this often if ever.
MK- Functionally Identical to MP
HP- Functionally Identical to MP except Critical art punishes from .8 blocks
HK- Functionally identical to MP except that Critical Art punishes at .6 blocks

Back+HP- You’ll probably never block this, but if you do then cr.MP xx tatsu will punish

Yoga Fire
Meterless versions can only be blocked standing, punish with cr.MP xx tatsu. EX version is safe.

Yoga Flame
All version safe against critical art. LP and EX version can be punished with EX DP or LP DP at point blank.

Critical Art
Safe if you block it, but you only block it if you’re standing up. It whiffs over you if you crouch giving you ample time to punish.[/spoiler]

Fang

[spoiler]
cr.HP- This is an anti air with almost no horizontal range and it’s cancellable, so it will probably never come up, but if it does punish with cr.HP xx DP
cr.HK- Sweep will reach at any range. EX tatsu will as well and does more damage, but it throws Fang across the screen and you want to keep him close so I don’t recommend it. At 1 block or closer cr.HP xx HP DP will punish.

df+HP- at max range safe against Critical Art. At 1.1 blocks critical art will punish. At .8 blocks LK xx tatsu will punish. At point blank cr.MP xx tatsu is your best damage.

Nishikyu (poison projectiles)
This one is weird. At point blank this move can be blocked standing, if you’re crouching then it will whiff over your head. If you’re right next to Fang, there isn’t a poison cloud in your way and he does any of the meterless versions of this move I suggest you do forward throw. I have two reasons for this. The first is that if he did the light version then the projectiles can fall back down on you and interrupt your punish combo, possibly letting Fang start a combo of his own. The second is that Fang is able to cancel the recovery of this move into his EX command dash, which is strike invincible but vulnerable to throws. Forward throw avoids both potential pitfalls while also allowing you a chance to continue your offense by pressuring him on wakeup. A higher damage option is to hit him with cr.HP xx EX tatsu or EX DP before the cancel window into command dash. Using the EX versions of these moves should prevent the projectiles from hitting you on the way back down. It is also possible to punish the command dash with critical art, cr.MK or sweep after he passes by you. Buffering the critical art in both directions like against Cammy’s V trigger spiral arrows is helpful in this case.

EX version is safe on block.

Ryobenda (poison cloud)
LK version safe against super if spaced at the edge of its (very small) range. At point blank super or sweep will punish. MK and HK versions punishable with sweep or cr.MK at any range connect. EX version completely safe on block including against critical art.

Sotoja (poison lunge)
LP- at max range only critical art. At 1.3 blocks sweep. At 1.2 blocks EX tatsu, if both hits connect EX tatsu will work. At 1 block or closer cr.HP
MP- at max range (2.2) safe against critical art. At 1.6 blocks sweep. at 1.1 blocks cr.HP
HP- At 2.4 safe against critical art. At 2.2 critical art punishes. at 1.7 sweep punishes. At 1.2 cr.HP
EX- safe

Critical Art
Another weird one. If you block the launch at the beginning then after the camera move you’ll need to block the other way as he crosses over you dropping poison bombs. If none of the bombs hit you then watch the first bomb, it will bounce once then hit the ground and disappear. As it disappears walk into the space it was in and jump forward. You should be able to jump in with HK as a punish and be close enough to follow it with cr.HP xx DP The timing is rather tight. If you block the first bomb then that makes the timing much easier. You can use critical art to punish it through the poison bombs, but it will lose several hits and do less damage as a result. If you blocked the activation at point blank range then my favorite punish is to immediately hold up-back relative to your original orientation, hit him with jump MP xx EX air tatsu. It does less damage than the jump in punish but it’s easier, still pretty good damage and I think it looks cool so I’ll take any legit chance to land it.[/spoiler]

Guile

[spoiler]
Impractical: If for some reason you block cr.MK at point blank you can punish with light DP or EX DP. Shouldn’t ever come up though.

More of a whiff punish but worth mentioning: f+HP and df+HK are both safe if you are standing up and block them, but if you’re crouching they whiff over you giving you a chance to punish them.

f+LK/b+LK- The bazooka knee is safe on block at it’s absolute farthest range at about 1 block, anything closer than that is punishable by LP DP. If you’re at .5 blocks or closer then you can use MP, cr.HP combos for a max damage punish.
f+MP- Guile’s overhead is completely safe at max range, about .8 blocks. From .6 blocks or closer super will punish. From .4 blocks you can punish with LK xx tatsu, and at point blank you can make it LK xx heavy DP instead for extra damage.
HP- This move can always be punished by reversal super or LK. Unfortunately at longer ranges if you cancel the LK into meterless tatsu it will whiff, so from max range you either have to spend a bar on LK xx EX tatsu or just stop at LK. From point blank you can use LK xx heavy DP.
cr.HK- Both hits of sweep are a true blockstring, so if you block the first then you’ll have to block the second too. Just as unsafe as every other sweep, Ryu’s own sweep will punish at any range, and EX tatsu or super will also work if you want to spend meter for some more damage.

Target combos
cr.LK, MP, f+HP- After the MP punish with cr.HP. It will punish regardless of if he does the f+HP or not. The same can be said of him just doing MP, f+HP though that might be harder to see coming in time.
cr.MK, f+MP- identical to the f+MP by itself. In retrospect doing LP DP after you see a point blank cr.MK is actually a little useful if people overuse this target combo. It’s not a true blockstring so you can interrupt it that way, and if they’re doing it from too close when it will punish the cr.MK too so they can’t bait it.

All forms of sonic boom seem entirely safe on block that I’ve seen.

Flash kick
Typical crush counter punishes for DP type moves. Careful that you don’t hit HK until he’s on the ground, if you hit it while he’s in the air it will whiff and Guile will land behind you.

Critical Art
On block you can punish with reversal super or heavy tatsu. If you’re in a neutral position when the super freeze happens you can get much larger punishes by avoiding blocking it. You have time to jump over it after the freeze and land a jump in combo, or if Guile does it while you’re standing immediately next to him you can actually just walk forward and push him back, the projectile will miss you entirely giving you lots of time to hit him with the biggest punish combo you’ve got.

When Guile is in V trigger his Critical art becomes safe on block, and also hits a larger area that prevents you from walking through him at point blank. You can still hold up during the freeze and jump out for a punish though.[/spoiler]

Karin

[spoiler]
cr.MK-At max range safe. At point blank Critical art or lk xx EX tatsu
f+MK- At max range safe from reversal critical art. At .8 blocks critical art punishes. At point blank LK xx tatsu
cr.HP- cr.MP punishes, can follow with fireball, EX tatsu or critical art depending on meter.
HK- at max range safe against critical art. Critical art punishes at .7 blocks. At point blank LK xx tatsu
cr.HK- Reversal LP DP will always punish. EX DP also works but drops the second hit, so don’t waste the meter. cr.LK and LK will punish from any range, but will not combo into anything at max range except critical art. Scaling causes this to do less damage than reversal critical art. At 1.1 blocks LK xx EX tatsu will combo. At point blank pushback will cause MP, cr.HP to whiff so go straight into cr.HP

Tenko (command dash into palm strike)
On meterless versions the idea punish is HK, LK xx HP DP but it requires exact timing. Combos starting with cr.HP are much easier and do comparable damage.
On EX HK will not punish so cr.HP is your best option.

Orochi (command dash into back strike)
All meterless versions safe, but EX punishable by combos starting with cr.HP

Mujinkyaku
I suggest doing reversal HP DP after the first two kicks. If they did the light version it will punish, if they did medium it will interrupt the overhead. Heavy is a true blockstring so you’ll continue blocking even while you do the DP command. You’ll have plenty of time to see that it was the heavy version and then punish with combos starting with HK or cr. HP

Ressenha (overhead)
I don’t recommend reversal Critical Art, it will lose if they do the command grab follow-up. I suggest MP DP after blocking the second hit. This will punish all versions on block and also beat both follow-up options.
EX versions is an invincible reversal, on block Max damage Crush Counter punishes are available.

Revision here, turns out meterless Ressenha is a little more complicated than that. EX is still the same though

If they do HP Ressenha at a range of 3.5 blocks it is still -4, but MP DP will not reach on its first active frame so it won’t punish in time. If they don’t do either follow up you can still punish with LK or super, but the command grab flip will dodge over the LK or super creating a mix up situation. Stand jab will beat both of the follow ups, but whiffs short if they don’t do any follow up giving them an opportunity to whiff punish your jab. So I wouldn’t call it safe exactly, but you don’t have a clear punish scenario at that specific range.

The light and medium versions of Ressenha can also be spaced to make MP DP whiff, but those versions are at least -5 against a standing opponent and HP DP’s longer reach allows you to reliably punish them regardless of spacing.

So if they do medium or light Ressenha then punish with HP DP, if they do HP and don’t space it perfectly punish with MP HP. If they do HP and space it perfectly then I recommend hitting LK if you don’t think they’ll do the command grab and LP if you think they will. Both will beat the slide.

I should also note that all of this is based on blocking a Ressenha from a standing position. Ressenha has a lot of active frames so if they knock you down and you wake up into the later active period of Ressenha it becomes completely safe on block.

V Skill
If uncharged then LK xx MK tatsu will punish. Charged version completely safe.

Guren Ken
This one is a doozy. There is no single foolproof punish to the first two hits. In order to get a guaranteed punish you need to block one of the follow up attacks. The palm strike can be punished with cr.HP. If the command grab flip whiffs it can be punished with max punish combos once she lands. The sweep follow up can be punished with cr.HP. The overhead follow up can be punished with cr.HP. The elbow follow up is safe on block, but it they do the additional attack that switches sides you can punish with cr.MP xx tatsu.
REVISED
This isn’t exactly a punish but I think it’s worth pointing out that if you do reversal super after the first two hits of Guren Ken then it loses to the command grab flip, but beats every other option including chasing down the quick retreat. So it’s essentially a 50/50 with the balance of damage massively in your favor.

Critical Art
Max damage Punish[/spoiler]

Ken

[spoiler]
cr.MK- At point blank LK will punish, but anything he cancels into will beat LK. Critical Art should beat anything he does after, but not really a practical thing to look for.
back+mk- can punish at max range with LK xx tatsu
HP- safe against Critical Art. Can be punished by LP DP and EX DP at point blank range, but I’d only risk it after noticing the opponent has a bad habit of just doing this button at point blank.
cr.HP- If they don’t cancel it for some reason you can punish with cr.HP
HK- At max range critical art only. From 1 block or closer LK xx tatsu.
f+HK- At max range Critical Art only. From 1.2 blocks LK xx tatsu
cr.HK- Sweep or EX tatsu will punish at any range. cr.HP if you’re close.

b+MP xx HP Target combo- cr.HP is ideal, pushback causes MP, cr.HP to whiff.

V skill step kick- At max range safe from critical art. At 2.6 blocks critical art will punish. At 2.1 blocks cr.MK xx MK tatsu will punish. at 1.8 blocks cr.HP will punish.

Fireball
If a meterless fireball hits on its first active frame it can always be punished with reversal super. Sweep will also usually reach, though it can be spaced for safety. Any normal cancelled into fireball on block from point blank range can be punished with sweep. In order for Ken to cancel a normal into fireball and be safe from critical art on block he must hit at the very edge of the normal move’s range. If you are cornered then fireballs do no pushback and you can always punish a blocked meterless fireball with sweep. V trigger fireballs do not appear to be any safer on block.
EX fireball is completely safe on block, even against critical art.

Shoryuken
Max damage crush counter punish. Not much more to say. If they do light then maybe start with cr.HP to make it easier, but HK should still always punish.

Tatsu
LK and MK versions both punishable with Max Damage Punish, works both in and out of V trigger.
HK without V trigger- If you block the first hit then hold up-back, as he lands you’ll jump in with j.HK, cr.HP xx HP DP. CORRECTION: I must have messed up when I tested earlier, if you block the last hit of HK tatsu then it’s completely safe.
HK with V trigger- If you block the first hit then reversal HK tatsu will chase him down. You can also punish with EX fireball or super. If you’re already in V trigger you can punish with HP fireball. If you block the hits as he comes down he’s completely safe, you can’t punish those.
EX version- Jump in into max damage punish combo
NEW TECH: After knocking you down Ken can use MK tatsu to cross you up as you stand up. Saw a bunch of this at Winter Brawl so be prepared for everyone to be trying it out. If he does it midscreen then he’s safe even against critical art, but if Ken passes over you into the corner then you can punish with LP DP or EX DP. If Ken is in V trigger then he’s safe on block.

Critical Art
Dash forward into max damage punish combo from any range.[/spoiler]

Laura

[spoiler]
HK- Critical Art always punishes, LK xx tatsu works at 1 block or closer
cr.HK- Ryu’s own sweep and EX tatsu will always punish

f.HP -> HP target combo- Punish with cr.HP

V Skill (overhead)- Cannot be made safe against Critical Art through spacing. Might theoretically be made safe with a perfect setup. reversal HP DP will punish except at extreme tip of range. cr.MP xx EX tatsu if you want a bit more damage.

Bolt Charge (Elbow)
LP version is completely safe on block. MP version can be punished with max punish combo. There are visual and audio differences between the two. MP hits higher, moves a bit farther and Laura makes a different noise as she does it. Training yourself to recognize one instead of the other strikes me as being an important part of this matchup.
Hard is an anti-air, it whiffs on grounded opponents. If she whiffs it next to you for some reason she’ll drop down next to you for a max damage punish.
EX is a little more unsafe than MP, but is punished the same. Standard max damage punish.

Thunder Clap (projectile)
If they do this move meterless and without charging at point blank and you block it you can punish with MP, cr.MP xx MK tatsu. If they charge it until it hits twice it’s completely safe on block. If the projectile is spaced so that it spends any time traveling instead of immediately being blocked then the move is safe. The EX version is safe.

The command grab and Laura’s critical art are both throws, so they don’t exactly fit here. If Laura supers and you aren’t committed to something already then neutral jump and come down with a max punish combo.[/spoiler]

M. Bison

[spoiler]
HP- If you block this move while Bison is not in V trigger then do reversal Critical Art. If he doesn’t cancel it then critical art will punish. If he cancels into something that creates a true blockstring then your critical art won’t come out. If Bison cancels into something that isn’t a true blockstring then worst case scenario is that you trade super with his move which will be massively in your favor. If he cancels into critical art himself it will eat your input allowing you to block or use V reversal to avoid chip. DO NOT do this while he is in V trigger though. During V trigger he can cancel into headstomp without down charge which will make critical art whiff.
cr.HP- At max range EX tatsu or sweep. At point blank target combo is the best meterless damage I found.
cr.HK- At the very tip the slide is safe, but still negative. If you block it from the edge of its range use a confirm combo for safety. From anywhere 2.5 blocks or closer use max damage punish combo

MP -> df+HP target combo- This one is hard to spot because if looks the same as regular df+HP, which is completely safe. But if he does the target combo it’s punishable with MP xx HP DP

Psycho Blast (projectile)
LP version done at point blank punishable by critical art, but Bison cancelling any normal into this will push you out of range to punish. Effectively safe. All other versions completely safe on block

Double Knee Press (scissor kicks)
LK version can be spaced for safety. If Bison is at exact max range of cr.MP and cancels to this version of scissor kicks he is safe from reversal critical art. If he is any closer then Critical art will punish. If LK scissors is blocked point blank MP DP will punish.
MK version is completely safe against reversal critical art, but can be punished with LP DP or EX DP. Can be spaced for safety, but if they cancel into this from cr.MP it will always be punishable.
HK and EX are safe on block.

Psycho Inferno
All meterless versions punishable by EX tatsu at any range. This move can be spaced to be out of range of sweep, so if you block this at the end of a blockstring be cautious about putting sweep out there. Bison can hurt you very bad for whiffing it. At a range of 1 block sweep is best meterless punish, if you have a full bar HKxx critical art will add a bit of damage over reversal critical art. From point blank start your punish with HK for best meterless damage or cr.HP xx V trigger, HK if you have it and want to spend it.

Critical Art
You’ve got all day to punish this one. Move in close and use your max damage punish.[/spoiler]

Nash

[spoiler]
f+LK- At the very edge of it’s range this moves leaves Nash +1. This happens at about 1.8 blocks. From 1.5 blocks or closer reversal LP or EX DP will punish, but you better be sure you’re right. At 1.2 blocks or closer you can start with MP and confirm into max damage punish.
f+MP(overhead)- LK xx MK tatsu punishes at any range. At point blank MP, LK xx MK tatsu is the best meterless damage I found. It leaves Ryu at an odd range where cr.MP and cr.MK connect after their first active frame and will be blocked, even when done with correct timing.
cr.MK- Safe at max range. From .5 blocks punishable by critical art and from .4 blocks punishable by LK xx EX tatsu, but considering the short blockstun and the unlikelihood of the move being used at those ranges I wouldn’t go for it unless I noticed a player had a bad habit of misusing this move.
f+MK- Safe at max range. Punishable by LP DP or EX DP from .6 blocks or closer, which is a range you’ll probably never see this move at.
f+HP- At 2.1 blocks completely safe, even from critical art. At 1.9 blocks Critical art punishes. At 1.3 blocks EX tatsu punishes. At 1.2 blocks sweep punishes. At 1.1 blocks can punish with lk xx MK tatsu, HK linked into critical art, or HK xx V trigger, sweep. Due to odd pushback punishes remain the same from 1.1 blocks or closer.
cr.HK- EX tatsu will always punish. Sweep punishes from .8 blocks or closer. At point blank pushback will cause MP, cr.HP to whiff so go straight to cr.HP

V Skill
From max range only critical art will punish. From .5 blocks LK xx EX tatsu will punish, meterless tatsus will whiff. From point blank cr.MP xx MK tatsu.

Target Combos
LP -> MP- If for some reason they don’t cancel it you can punish with cr.HP. I don’t see this coming up much.
MP->LK- They’re unable to continue into the HP ender of this target combo on block leaving you with a very easy max damage punish.
cr.MP -> f+MP- same as blocking the overhead by itself, same punishes apply.
MK->HK- Another that can’t be continued on block. cr.HP will punish at any range, even at ranges where MK will only connect against a standing opponent.

Sonic Boom
At point blank LP and MP version are punishable by critical art, but when used in blockstrings this move will generally be spaced to be safe. HP and EX versions safe.

Sonic Scythe
LK version- At max range only punishable by critical art. At .9 blocks punishable by sweep. At point blank start with cr.HP for the most damage.
MK version- At max range safe against critical art. At 1.8 punishable by Critical art. At 1.4 punishable by sweep. At 1 block punishable by cr.MP xx MK tatsu. Pushback on block puts Ryu out of range of shorter range normals even at point blank.
HK version- From max range HK, LK xx MK tatsu will always reach. At point blank max damage punish.
EX version- From max range walk forward slightly into cr.HP. From point blank max damage punish. Recovers crouching so don’t try to punish with HK. Does not have crush counter state on recovery as it is not invincible on startup.

Tragedy Assault
LP version is punishable by LK xx MK tatsu
MP and HP versions punishable by combos starting with cr.HP
EX version is extremely punishable. If you block the second hit you have time to walk in to point blank range and use a max damage punish. If you block the first hit point blank then Nash will pass over you, immediately jump toward him and you will be able to come down with j.MK as a crossup into max damage punish combo.

Critical art
Same from any range. MP, cr.HP will whiff so go straight to cr.HP or use HK.[/spoiler]

Necalli

[spoiler]
cr.MK- Safe at max range. If not cancelled critical art will punish at .5 blocks, but at this range if they cancel into DP it may whiff under him. At point blank LK xx EX tatsu will punish if they don’t cancel, but if they do light stomp it will counter hit your LK so I don’t recommend it. At point blank I found no downside to reversal critical art, if they cancel into a true blockstring it won’t come out and moves that aren’t a true blockstring will lose against critical art. I don’t foresee that being an especially common situation though.
cr.HP-Same story except you need to be point blank to punish at all. Make sure you don’t mistake standing HP for this move since that one is safe on block, they look fairly similar. Again at point blank I see no downside to reversal super and again I don’t foresee this happening too often.
df+HP- Safe against Critical art at max range. Punishable with Critical art at 1.1. From .8 blocks or closer LK xx MK tatsu will punish.
HK- At max range safe against Critical art. At .9 blocks critical art will punish. At .7 blocks or closer LK xx MK tatsu will punish
cr.HK- Sweep and EX tatsu will punish from all ranges. At point blnk max damage punish.

Target Combo
MK->HK- At max range MP->HP->HK target combo is the best option I found. He can cancel this into V Skill, but that’s slow enough that it will just get counter hit. Because of this I also like using Ryu’s HP->HK target combo for the sake of a potential crush counter, it doesn’t lose much damage compared against starting with MP and creates interesting combo opportunities by cancelling the HK into V trigger if you have it. At point blank combos starting with cr.HP are ideal.

The Disc’s Guidance (anti-projectile charge)
All versions punishable by LK xx MK tatsu at any spacing. At point blank MP, cr.HP will whiff so go straight to cr.HP. Keep in mind it’s a tight window and the move has oddly long blockstun, punishing feels awkward and I drop it way more than anything else I’ve tried in this game. If you’re having trouble maybe stick with LK xx tatsu, less damage is better than turning your punish into their punish.
EX version gives you much more time to punish and pushes closer in so go for max damage punish.

Raging Light (DP)
Max damage crush counter punish. Nothing fancy.

Valiant Rebellion (stomp)
LK version safe at max range, about .9 blocks. Punishable by critical art at .6 blocks. Punishable by LK xx MK tatsu at .4 blocks.
All other version safe on block.

Critical Art
Pushes into point blank from any range, max damage punish.[/spoiler]

R. Mika

[spoiler]
MK- Cannot be punished with critical art. At point blank can be punished with LP DP or EX DP.
HP- Safe at max range. At .5 blocks critical art will punish. From point blank cr.MP xx mk tatsu.
cr.HP- From max range completely safe on block. At .7 blocks LP DP or EX DP will punish. At .6 blocks or closer MP DP is best meterless damage I found. LP, LK xx EX tatsu foes a bit more for 1 bar or you can punish with critical art.
Uncharged HK- At 1.1 blocks safe against critical art. At 1 block punishable by critical art. at .9 blocks punishable by LK xx MK tatsu.
cr.HK- Punishable with cr.HP from max range. From point blank can punish with max damage punish.

in air d.MP- max damage punish
LK->MK- At the edge of its range one hit or the other tends to whiff. If the second hit whiffs then sweep punishes, if only the second hit connects it might be safe against critical art. At ranges where both hits connect I have always found that critical art punishes. From the range you end up at after blocking charged HK followed by this target combo LK xx MK tatsu will punish.
f+MP->MP- the move by itself is safe on block but if they do the follow-up on block it will cause a whiff animation that can be punished with cr.HP

Shooting Peach
All meterless versions can potentially be spaced to be safe if blocked crouching. I was unable to find a space that resulted in being safe against critical art after blocking the move while standing. If Mika cancels into this move from a normal it will never be spaced safely and you can use combos starting with cr.HP to punish.
EX version stops after 2 hits, can use max damage punish.[/spoiler]

Rashid

[spoiler]
cr.MK- impractical but from point blank can be punished from point blank with LP DP or EX DP, not critical art.
f+HP- punishable by LK xx MK tatsu, if you have full meter then MP DP xx critical art is highest damage I found. Going through the V trigger whirlwind doesn’t make the move any safer, though the whirlwind can interrupt your punish and trades will not go in your favor. If the whirlwind is close behind Rashid then MP DP xx critical art is a solid option. The critical art will lose a few hits as it goes through the whirlwind, but will usually juggle Rashid as he comes back down and still do reasonable damage.
cr.HK- EX tatsu at any range, Sweep from 1 block or closer, max damage punish at point blank.

Running Spinning Mixer
He can mash the button more times after the initial input to extend the move.
Level 1- Hits 5 times, completely safe on block
Level 2- Hits 9 times, punishable by LK xx HP DP if you want max meterless damage but I suggest mashing out MP DP. It’s drastically easier and the damage difference is very small. If you have full meter then add critical art after the DP
Level 3- Does 11 hits, punishable by combos starting with HK or cr.HP.

So if it hits more than a few times do the reversal DP punish when level 2 would end and if they did level 3 you have time to notice that you’re still blocking and respond with a larger punish for the more unsafe version.

If he begins the spinning mixer before he passes through the V trigger whirlwind it does an 11 hit version that is completely safe on block.

Running Eagle Spike
Dash forward, cr.MP xx HK tatsu will punish at any spacing I can manage to establish in training mode. LK tatsu usually will not reach so if you want to add critical art do dash up cr.MP xx critical art.

If he does it through the whirlwind his recovery will push him back behind it again and I can’t find any way to punish on block in that scenario.

d+V-skill-> kick- This rolling attack is safe against critical art at 3.1 blocks. At 3 block critical art will punish. At 2.5 blocks or closer punish with cr.MP xx EX tatsu.

Spinning Mixer
He can mash buttons after the initial input to extend the move.
LP level 1- Does 3 Hits. Completely safe on block
LP level 2- Hits 5 times Can be spaced for safety from meterless options but critical art always punishes. From 1.5 blocks LK xx MK tatsu will punish, from 1.4 cr.MP xx Mk tatsu will punish. At point blank MP, cr.MP xx MK tatsu will punish. MP xx HP DP xx Critical Art is probably the most damage you could get here.
LP level 3- HK and sweep will both punish. At max range HK has no meterless follow ups which makes sweep the better choice if HK linked into Critical art isn’t an option. At point blank HK, LK xx HP DP will be max meterless damage.

All levels of MP version are very punishable, but he can choose to mash it to different levels to stay in the air longer after passing over you.
Easy answer: Critical art if you have it, HK tatsu if you don’t. Both of these options punish all versions of this move with the same timing.
Hard answer: Watch for them to drop next to you from the level 1 version, if they do then max damage punish. If they keep going up dash forward and watch for them to drop from the level 2 version. If they drop then use target combo for meterless damage or HP xx critical art if you have it. If they keep going up then dash forward again and again use target combo for meterless damage or HP xx critical art.

HP version goes straight up and is very easy to punish, just walk up and do max damage punish.

EX version cannot be mashed to extend his arc on block. It is in a crush counter state during recovery so max damage starts with HK, but HK has a tendency to whiff on this move. It hits reliably if you hit the button right as Rashid hits the ground but a tiny bit earlier or later will cause it to whiff. If you’d rather not deal with the possibility of missing the punish standard max damage punish is still going to hurt him plenty bad.

If Rashid does any meterless version of spinning mixer into the V trigger whirlwind he does a special version that is safe on block. If he does an EX mixer into the whirlwind he does a special version that fully extends on whiff. If you block this midscreen then dash towards him once and then jump in to punish with your jump in combo of choice. If you were in the corner he’s considered to have passed over you while he’s in the air so block away from the corner if the whirlwind is about to hit you.

Whirlwind Shot
LK version- From .5 blocks or closer punishable by Critical art. At point blank punishable by sweep.
MK version- From point blank punishable by Critical Art, otherwise safe.
HK and EX versions safe on block.

Eagle Spike
Dash forward LK xx Heavy DP punishes all meterless version from all ranges. Reversal HK tatsu also works for a bit less damage. If they do it through the V trigger whirlwind and end up back on the other side then I don’t know of a punish.

EX version is an interesting case, the closer you are at the start of the move the safer it is. From within 1.5 blocks Rashid is safe on block. From 1.5 or farther Critical art will punish. From 1.6 or farther sweep punishes. From 2.5 to max range you can use max damage punish.

Air eagle spike
If Rashid bounces back into the air away from you then you have time to dash forward and begin a combo with cr.HP. If you’re confident you’re close enough you can use the max damage punish. At a very small, specific spacing Rashid may connect with the divekick while landing directly on the ground. If this happens he is completely safe on block. This applies to all versions including EX, regardless of whether it was done during his regular jump or his V skill jump. Going through the V trigger whirlwind with this move makes it move faster but doesn’t make it recover any more quickly, though having the whirlwind in the way makes a punish unlikely.

Critical Art
Rashid is able to move himself around while the tornado is up so this is a bit tricky. If you block it point blank then he has some time to back up, dash forward and start a combo with cr.HP for a reliable punish. If Rashid starts the super from a distance and moves into you near the end of the active period then instead your most reliable option is to start your punish combo with f+HP. [/spoiler]

Ryu

[spoiler]
cr.MK- From anywhere but point blank range this move is completely safe, and there’s no reason to use this move at point blank range so this isn’t really practical. At point blank range if they don’t cancel this move it can be punished with LP, LK xx EX tatsu. Light DP or EX DP will also work. However if they cancel into fireball then LP and Light DP will both get stuffed. So if someone has a silly habit of doing cr.MK fireball from point blank range then you can do EX DP as a punish regardless of if they do the fireball or not.
f+MP- Punishable by LK xx MK tatsu. If you’re far enough away that only one hit gets blocked then you’re too far away for LK xx LK tatsu into critical art to work. If both hits land I find it works reliably. At point blank range best damage is LK xx Heavy DP with critical art added on if you have it.
cr.HP- Cancellable, but slow enough that if for some reason they don’t cancel it you have time to recognize that and punish. Very punishable, but lots of pushback and crouching recovery limits your options. Sweep and EX tatsu always punish. From point blank cr.MP xx EX tatsu is the best reliable damage I found. If you want to get fancy then after blocking this at point blank range you can spend a few frames walking forward and then punish with your own cr.HP for better damage. All of this is based on the move being blocked in its early active frames causing Ryu to remain crouching, it’s possible to block the later active frames while on the ground and Ryu will follow through into a standing position. I wasn’t able to find a way to replicate this to test the situation but I bet you could probably still sweep him.
cr.HK- If you block his sweep then yours will reach. You can also use EX tatsu if you’d like, and if you’re at point blank range when he does it you can land max damage punish.

Target Combos
MP_>HP->HK- Everything after the medium punch is extremely punishable. I’m gonna split this up into several scenarios.
You block all three hits while standing up- At max range cr.MP xx MK tatsu, at point blank max damage punish.
You block the first two hits crouching then they whiff HK over your head- combos starting with cr.HP will always work here, at point blank max damage punish works also.
You block the first two hits and they don’t press HK- From max range HK, LK xx MK tatsu. From point blank HK, LK Heavy DP. You’ve got a lot of time on this one.
You get hit by the first two hits crouching and the HK whiffs over your head- HK, LK xx Heavy DP from any range
You get hit by the first two hits and they stop- Critical Art is your only punish from max range. From point blank sweep will punish.

HP->HK- this is very similar, the HK is punishable on block by cr.MP xx MK tatsu, if it whiffs over you then you can punish with your own HK regardless of whether the HP was blocked or hit you.

Fireball
If done at a range of .8 blocks or closer punishable by critical art. At .5 blocks sweep will punish. At point blank cr.MP xx MK tatsu will punish. EX version completely safe.
Now, the important part. If used to end a blockstring midscreen fireball can vary widely in terms of safety.
If they cancel cr.HP into a meterless fireball sweep will always punish.
MP xx fireball is safe against critical art at the extreme tip of MP’s range but will punish if you’re any closer. The spacing is small enough that making it safe on purpose would be difficult. At point blank sweep will always punish.
cr.MK xx fireball is completely safe when spaced near the end of it’s range. The spacing is much more generous, you can expect them to reliably space it for safety. It is not a true blockstring so you can potentially interrupt between the cr.MK and the fireball. When done point blank it is punishable by sweep.
cr.MP xx fireball is also safe against critical art from a reliable chunk of the edge of its range. Unlike cr.MK xx fireball it is a true blockstring at all ranges I’ve tested, so once you block the cr.MP you’re blocking the fireball no matter what. If done point blank punishable by sweep.

Important note: When a fireball is used against a cornered opponent it causes no pushback. As a result if you are cornered by your opponent any blockstring of a normal cancelled into a meterless fireball is punishable by sweep. So if you have your back to the corner and you block any normal cancelled into a meterless fireball you should punish with sweep. If you have your opponent cornered then make sure you don’t let them block a meterless fireball. Either hit confirm and don’t throw fireballs on block or spend the meter on an EX fireball to make it safe.

V Trigger fireballs with no charge time- During V trigger Ryu’s uncharged fireballs become a very slight bit safer on block. This tips the scales and makes them safe against your sweep causing a major difference in your ability to punish them at longer ranges. cr.MK is your longest range normal than can potentially punish fireballs during Ryu’s V trigger. The spacing does not seem to be changed so if cr.MK would work against a regular fireball it will work against a V trigger fireball.
V trigger fireball, level2 charge- When charged enough to cause 2 hits instead of one Ryu’s fireball is -4 on block. This means that at point blank range critical art, medium DP and LK can punish, and anywhere beyond point blank range they are completely safe on block.
V trigger fireball fully charged- If you block one of these it will be you getting punished, not them. These cause guard break.

Dragon Punch
Max damage crush counter punish. Pretty simple.

Hurricane kick
All meterless versions can be punished by max damage punish if blocked standing. If you’re crouching the move will whiff over you. As it does so you can use the crouching DP shortcut to hit them with a Medium DP. The crouching DP shortcut is down-forward, down, down-forward and punch. If you do the regular input you risk standing up and getting hit. If a Ryu player does a MK or HK tatsu from full screen then you get the most damage by standing up to block it and then punishing, but be aware this comes as a bit of a trade off since MK and HK tatsu both do a significant amount of chip damage on each hit. The extra damage from a max punish combo is definitely worth it compared to just a DP, and doubly so if you have either V trigger or Critical art available.
EX version can be punished at any range by critical art or walking forward and sweeping them. At point blank the best meterless damage I found was f+HP xx Heavy DP, the best stun was walk forward HK, LK xx MK tatsu.

Critical Art
The best punishes for this move involve not blocking it, so if you’re far away enough to avoid it after the super freeze I suggest you do so. Unfortunately from 1.5 blocks or closer you don’t have enough time to jump out of the way, you’ll get caught on your way up. If you block it from withing 1.4 blocks reversal critical art is your only punish that I’ve found. From .9 blocks or closer you can reliably walk up and sweep, or with meter you can walk up a bit and use HK linked into critical art. From point blank f+HP, cr.HP xx Heavy DP is reliable.
If Ryu is in V trigger as he does his critical art he will use a Denjin Hadoken instead. This move will break your guard, so if you block it you’re the one getting punished, not them. If you’re too close to jump out then I suggest EX DP, even if you aren’t close enough to hit them you’ll have enough invincibility to pass safely through. If you time it correctly so that you do EX DP on the first frame after the super freeze and you whiff then you’ll actually be +4 when you recover, so if you’re in range you can punish him with LK xx MK tatsu or another EX DP if you feel like it.
If you don’t have meter you can parry it, but he still gets guaranteed damage. You spend so long parrying that he has time to recover, walk up and throw you out of your parries. It’s less than you’d lose to chip and a hit after the guard break though.[/spoiler]

Vega

f+MK- Vega’s overhead is safe against critical art when blocked at the edge of its range. If blocked at point blank you can punish with LP, LK xx tatsu or reversal critical art.
cr.HK- If it’s spaced to hit on its last active frame it’s still -4, so this move is always punishable by reversal critical art or medium DP. From any closer than the max range max damage punish will work.
Claw On cr.HP- at max range safe against critical art. At point blank punishable with cr.MP xx EX tatsu. Mostly an anti-air as far as I know so I doubt you’ll see it much.
Claw on f+HP- Critical Art punishes at any range. From 1.8 blocks LK punishes but on follow-ups available. At 1.7 blocks Light DP punishes. EX hits as well but the second hit will whiff so don’t waste the meter. At 1.6 blocks Sweep or Heavy DP punishes. MP and cr.MP also punish at this range. but the only way to combo off of them is to already be in V trigger and use EX fireball. From 1 block or closer combos starting with cr.HP will combo.

Target Combos
Claw on HP->HP- At max range sweep and reversal Heavy DP punish. From point blank combos starting with cr.HP punish. He doesn’t seem to be able to cancel into V skill on block so don’t worry about him messing you up with that.
Claw off MP->HK- If you block the kick standing then it’s safe at max range. From point blank punishable by light DP and EX DP. If you are crouching and the HK whiffs over you you can respond with the max damage punish combo, even if the MP hit you.

V skill- From max range critical art is your only punish. From 1.1 blocks EX tatsu will punish. From 1 block sweep punishes. From .6 blocks cr.MP xx tatsu. From point blank cr.HP. Having the claw on or off seems to alter the range of the move slightly but doesn’t seem to alter how Ryu punishes it.

Crimson Terror (rolling attack)
If you block one of the rolling hits of the attack then reversal heavy DP will punish. The blockstun on the last hit is extremely short so you have to do it quick. If only the final hit is blocked then it may be spaced so that DP will whiff. In that case the only reliable punish I’ve found is critical art.
EX version is completely safe on block

Aurora Spin Edge (claw on only slash attack)
In a practical sense all versions of this move are safe on block. The LP version that slashes low is technically punishable by critical art if Vega does it while literally pressed directly against Ryu and completely safe from a pixel farther.

V trigger
The crouching version the throws the rose upward will whiff if you’re crouching giving you a chance to punish as Vega sits there. If you block it standing then you can punish with Critical Art. If you don’t have meter then dashing forward and using the medium punch target combo can punish but your timing has to be perfect.
Other versions are completely safe on block.

Critical Art
HK, LK xx Heavy DP works at the spacing that you’ll be left at from blocking this move. It might be possible that a slight walk forward could get you in range for a better punish but I didn’t find anything easy.

Zangief

MK- From point blank light DP or EX DP will punish. Shouldn’t come up much if ever.
cr.MK- From max range critical art is your only punish. From a little bit closer in LK xx EX tatsu will punish
f+MK- punishable by reversal light DP or EX DP, but given the tiny blockstun it would be really hard to do it unless you’ve got a read that the f+mk was coming and you’re sitting there watching for it.
Uncharged HP- from point blank Light DP or EX DP will punish. Shouldn’t come up often.
cr.HP- Punishable by critical art and medium DP. It’s an anti air though so you probably won’t block it on the ground.

Lariat
If you block the initial hit at the start then you can dash forward for the max damage punish. If you block the last hit then sweep will punish. If it’s whiffing over your head and he doesn’t bakc up then you can start a combo with cr.HP

V trigger
If Zangief just taps V trigger to suck you in and you block then it’s punishable by the max damage punish combo. You can also just mash hard DP if you don’t mind less damage for easier execution. If he holds it so that it hits you then it’s a true blockstring so there no downside to mashing here as long as you stop once it’s obvious he’s holding it and you’re blocking.

That’s it for Zangief, the rest is just throws. Jump/backdash out and punish.

I Think this is great

Original post has gotten too long to add to, characters from story mode update and onward start here

Balrog

[details=Spoiler]
HP- punishable by super if he does it from as close as possible, completely safe if there is any distance at all between him and Ryu. Not practical
cr.HP- Always punishable by super. Looks like an anti-air though, so you’re not likely to ever block it on the ground. EDIT: boy was I wrong. It leads into a lot of his biggest damage combos. They’ll usually be cancelling it into something though, either a dash upper that is way more unsafe or V trigger which I think is completely safe, so not a lot to do here.
cr.HK- from max range punishable with Critical art and EX tatsu. Make sure to get reversal EX tatsu, if you do it a bit late it drops hits and loses a lot of damage. Punishable by sweep from 1 block or closer.

MK->MP Target combo- Any attack 6 frames or faster will interrupt any of his follow up moves and will also punish if he just stops. I suggest cr.HP xx DP or tatsu. You can get more damage with MP, cr.HP xx DP but if he does the V skill into the punch follow-up he will be farther away and MP, cr.HP will whiff.

LK->MK->HK Target combo- Everything past the LK is unsafe on block. After you see the MK hit cr.HP in case he stops there, if he hits HK it’s a true block string so your cr.HP won’t happen and now you can punish the HK. You could also just mash DP.

cr.MK->cr.MK Target combo- punishable with cr.HP combos. HP DP is a reliable easy option.

Vskill->punch- safe from super at a very small range from 2.2 to 2.1. Punishable by super from any closer. Punishable by LK from 1.9 or closer.
Vskill->kick- cr.HP combos punish from any range. Can also use Ryu’s target combo if you want something easy.

Dash Punch
light version- safe from critical art at 2.1, punishable by critical art at 2. Punishable by LK xx tatsu at 1.7
medium version- Safe from critical art at 3. Punishable with critical art at 2.9. Punishable by LK xx tatsu at 2.2
heavy version- Safe from critical art at max screen length. Punishable with critical art from any closer. Punishable by LK xx tatsu at 3.
EX version is safe on block

Dash Low
light version- from max range only critical art will punish. punishable by sweep from 2 or closer
medium- max range critical art only. Punishable by sweep from 3.2
heavy- Safe at 4. CA punishable at 3.8 Sweep punishable at 3.5
EX- safe on block

Dash Upper
meterless versions- whiff over you if you’re crouching, easy to whiff punish. If you block it sweep will punish at any range, cr.HP combos from close.
EX doesn’t whiff over crouching character, still punishable by sweep from any range or cr.HP if close.

Turn-Around Punch
All versions that I have tested safe on block

V-Trigger
Balrogs’s special moves appear to be punishable in the same ways, but he can now add 4 additional dash punches to every dash punch that connects with you. The first 3 extra dash punches are safe, the final one is Punishable by critical art, sweep, EX tatsu, standing HK or reversal light tatsu.

So it goes regular dash punch (maybe punishable depending on spacing) -> safe punch-> safe punch -> safe punch -> final punch (very punishable, and you’ll always be pushed to the same spacing)

Critical Art
He’ll be as close as he can get and you’ve got plenty of time, hit him with the biggest thing you’ve got.[/details]

Ibuki

[details=Spoiler]
df+MK (slide)-At max range (1.5) completely safe on block. At 1.2 can punish with LP DP, EX DP or Critical art. From .9 or closer MP, cr.HP will work. Slightly off topic but interesting, she stands up as part of the recovery making Ryu’s HK a very effective whiff punish.
HP- At max range critical art only. 1 block or closer cr.MP xx tatsu or reversal HP DP
cr.HP-Punishable by LP or EX DP when Ibuki is pushed up against you, but it can be cancelled so you probably won’t have a chance to punish it.
HK- safe if you block it, but whiffs over you if you’re crouching and leaves plenty of time for a whiff punish.
f+HK- Critical art won’t punish this, only LP or EX DP or standing jab will punish. If they’re poking with it you can’t punish, but people might do it as a delayed meaty to catch throw techs, backdashes or attempts to jump out so keep an eye out for it.
cr.HK- Same as most sweeps, Critical art and EX tatsu always punish. There’s a small space at about 1.1 where Ryu’s own sweep won’t punish, but if you stand up at this range her sweep doesn’t reach you. From any closer Ryu’s sweep will reliably punish.

LP->MP->HP Target combo- Both the MP and the HP can be punished with cr.MP xx tatsu or DP, and she can’t cancel the HP on block. If they end it with LK instead of HP they’re safe.
MK->cr.HK->HK target combo- The HK will whiff if you’re crouching, so start your punish with cr.HP. The timing is the same regardless of if she does the HK or not.
cr.MP->f+HK target combo- LK xx tatsu will punish from any range where the f+HK connects. If you’re sure they’re close enough use cr.MP instead for more damage.

Kunai
Anything she does on the ground with kunai is safe on block. If she uses the move that throws all of her kunai while in the air that’s safe on block too. If she jumps toward you and throws a kunai she may or may not be safe depending on spacing. Basically if it hits you below the waist she’s safe, if it hits above that then LP DP, EX DP or standing jab will punish, so if she lands within range of those moves and the kunai hit high on Ryu then go for the punish.

Kazekiri (DP)
All meterless versions can be punished with f+HP. They’re not invincible so you don’t get a counter hit.
EX version is invincible, so use your best crush counter punish. Don’t worry about the kunai cancel, she can’t do it if you block.

Raida (hit-grab)
All versions can be punished from any range with HK, LK xx tatsu

Critical Art
If it hits from the absolute max distance (about 3) then only critical art or LK will punish. From even the slightest bit closer you’ve got plenty of time to hit her with your biggest combo.[/details]

Juri

[details=Spoiler]
cr.MK- Light or EX DP will punish at closest possible distance, but they’ll never use this move at that range. Not practical.
f+MK- LK xx tatsu from any range
HP- Light or EX DP will punish from closest range. They probably won’t use it at that range and even if they do they can cancel into special moves. Not practical.
cr.HP- punishable by cr.MP xx fireball if not cancelled, but if they cancel into medium Fuharenkyaku or medium Ryodansatsu it will counter hit your attempted punish.
HK- Critical art will always punish. From 1 block or closer LK xx tatsu
cr.HK- Critical art and EX tatsu will always punish. There is a small range at about 1.1 to 1.0 where Ryu’s own sweep will not reach to punish on block, but if you stand up instead of crouching at this range her sweep will miss giving you a chance to whiff punish.

MP->f+HP target combo- If you block both hits you can punish with cr.MP xx tatsu. If you block the MP while crouching and then the f+HP whiffs over your head you have a very long time to punish her. It’s easy to see it happen and then react with cr.MP xx tatsu. You can also punish with HK for more damage. It’s possible to punish with f+HP but I recommend sticking to faster moves.

Fuharenkyaku
charge- Safe on block
Light version (projectile)- safe on block
Medium version (hop attack)- always punishable by critical art. Easier to punish if blocked standing. LK xx tatsu will always punish if blocked while standing, won’t work at 1.9 blocks if blocked crouching. If cancelled into from a normal you’ll always be in range to punish with cr.HP. Interesting side note, if Juri cancels this into the light version on block and you do cr.HP you will trade leaving Ryu at least +10, able to combo into HK, EX tatsu, sweep or critical art. You take a bit of damage, but deal much more so I think it’s worth doing unless it will kill you. If she cancels into the heavy version it’s a true blockstring so there’s no risk of that hitting you for pressing a button.
Heavy version (spin kicks)- Always punishable by combos starting with HK or cr.HP, if you block both hits punishable with MP, cr.HP combos. If she cancels into the light version afterward it’s a true blockstring and is safe on block.

Tensenrin
Light version- The second hit of this move whiffs if you block it while crouching, if blocked while standing it becomes safer.
If blocked crouching punish with cr.MP xx tatsu if far, cr. HP combos if close.
If blocked standing punish with LP, LK xx heavy DP
Medium, Heavy and EX can all be crush counter punished with HK. Make sure not to press it until she comes back to the ground, if you press it while she’s still in the air you might pass under her and miss.

Ryodansatsu
If blocked at max range only critical art will punish. At moderate range (look for Juri’s ankle to overlap Ryu’s foot) LK xx tatsu will punish. At close range punish with cr.HP.

V skill
HK, LK xx tatsu will punish both the charged and uncharged versions so I suggest using that. The uncharged version you can end with heavy DP for more damage but I find it easier to just use the same thing for both.

V Trigger

When Juri uses her V trigger to chain together normals it seems to make them less safe on block. Her ability to cancel moves into each other and into special moves makes it very complicated to sort you exactly what you can reliably punish. Her special moves seem to be the same.

So far the only useful thing I’ve observed is that if Juri is close to you and chains into her heavy normals then there’s no downside I’ve found to doing a reversal heavy DP. If she stops with just the normals then it will punish, if she cancels into her special moves then they will either be a true blockstring and nothing will come out or it will lose to your DP. This is only based on about 20 minutes of messing around though so take it with a grain of salt.

Critical Art
From 1 block or closer Ryu’s Critical art will punish. From .5 blocks or closer HK, LK xx tatsu will punish. If you’re farther than 1 block Ryu can’t punish after blocking the projectile, but if you’re not already in the middle of a move you can hold up-forward during the super freeze and jump over the projectile for a punish.[/details]

This is awesome and really appreciated, thanks!

Chun Li

[details=Spoiler]
LK- It is technically possible to punish this on block with LP or EX DP. I would bet money that no one will ever do it on purpose in a real match. I’m only even putting it on the list because of stubborn pedantry.
cr.MP- Completely safe on latest possible connect, even against super. At 1.5 blocks it is entirely safe. At roughly 1.4 blocks critical art will punish. At .9 blocks cr.HP xx V trigger or HP DP will punish. From point blank max damage punishes available. NOTE: During V trigger you need to be about .1 blocks closer for punishes starting with normals. Critical Art punish seems the same.
cr.HP- LK xx EX Tatsu will whiff if blocked at the very farthest tip of the second hit. Otherwise perfectly reliable. From point blank max damage is MP, cr.MP xx EX tatsu or fireball for meterless version. Reversal HP DP is reliable and easy. NOTE: Completely safe during V trigger
cr.HK- EX tatsu punishes at any range. At .7 blocks Ryu’s sweep will punish. At about .8 blocks it is possible to walk forward for a few frames and sweep to punish, but this is both difficult and risky. Max Punishes available point blank. NOTE: During V trigger if spaced at absolute max distance becomes safe against EX tatsu. Spacing is incredibly small, would be extremely difficult to replicate during a match so if you have bar I recommend trying to punish anyway. Punishes are otherwise unaffected by V trigger.

Kikoken
Any meterless kikoken blocked on it’s first active frame can be punished with super. EX is safe. cr.MP can punish the medium and light versions but frankly there’s no reason for Chun Li to do this move at this range so don’t bank on seeing it much.

Lightning Legs
Sweep punishes all meterless versions of lightning legs on block. Out at the edges where a few hits will whiff it can be awkward but it’s always still possible. After blocking the LK version point blank MP, cr.HP works, on MK or HK you have to go straight to cr.HP. EX version is safe.

Air Lightning Legs
Instant air HK and EX versions let you get a max punish on block, which is why no one is ever going to do it to you on purpose. LK and MK are safe if done at minimum height.

Spinning Bird Kick
Standard Max Punish on every meterless version. EX Version can be crush counter punished, however it recovers low which causes HK to miss. Do a standard punish instead, they do more damage than HP crush counter combos. EDIT: Either I made a mistake or they adjusted her recovery in a patch, There’s enough standing recovery for Ryu to punish with an immediate HK to start his best crush counter punish combo. Make sure to do it quickly.

V Skill
If you block the hit on the way up then you can use Critical art or HP DP to punish. EX DP requires a short walk forward. Sweep as she lands is also an option, she doesn’t have trip guard when she lands from V skill regardless of what she does in the air.

Critical Art
Walk in slightly to make MP, cr.HP work or just start with cr. HP if you prefer simplicity.[/details]

After doing Chun Li I realized that EX tatsu is an excellent option for punishing sweeps in general and works on Birdie’s sweep at ranges where Ryu’s sweep will not reach. It works from about 1.1 blocks, watch for Birdie’s ankle to reach Ryu’s foot for the max spacing. It’s something I plan to make a point of checking in the future so hopefully I won’t miss something like that again.

Another minor oversight, LK will always punish Chun Li’s sweep on block. At max range LK xx EX tatsu will cause tatsu to whiff and LK xx Critical Art does less damage than reversal Critical Art. LK xx EX fireball won’t combo at that range, not even in V trigger. If you don’t have meter I guess 30 damage is better than 0.

sorry, quick noob question, is xx double jump?

Putting xx between two moves means that the first move is cancelled into the second. In order to do this you input the command for the second move at the same time the first move hits. The classic example is Ryu’s Crouching medium kick cancelled into fireball. You press down and MK, then roll to forward and press a punch button as the MK hits to cancel into fireball. The shorthand notation that’s evolved over the years is to type is as cr.MK xx Fireball

This is different from a link, which is when the first move is allowed to completely end before you do the second move. If the moves have commas between them like MP, cr.HP then that means it’s a link combo.

I’m gonna change up the format for Dhalsim’s normals a bit. I’m going to start with the slides, then do the long range pokes, then his one punishable command normal.

Dhalsim

[details=Spoiler]
cr.LK- If spaced with absolute perfection this move is safe against Critical Art. LP DP or EX DP will always punish this move, even at it’s farthest possible spacing. At about .5 blocks MP, cr.MP xx fireball is the ideal meterless punish. At point blank Ryu can use his max damage punish combos.
cr.MK- At max range (about 1.8 blocks) it’s completely safe. A little bit plus actually. At 1.5 blocks can be punished with Critical art. At 1 block can be punished it MP, cr.MP xx fireball. At point blank Max Damage Punish
cr.HK- At max range critical art is only punish. At 2 blocks cr.MP xx fireball will punish. At 1.5 blocks or closer Max damage punish.

MP- Safe at the vast majority of its range. At .5 blocks super will punish, from point blank LK xx MK tatsu will punish but don’t count on being in a position to punish this often if ever.
MK- Functionally Identical to MP
HP- Functionally Identical to MP except Critical art punishes from .8 blocks
HK- Functionally identical to MP except that Critical Art punishes at .6 blocks

Back+HP- You’ll probably never block this, but if you do then cr.MP xx tatsu will punish

Yoga Fire
Meterless versions can only be blocked standing, punish with cr.MP xx tatsu. EX version is safe.

Yoga Flame
All version safe against critical art. LP and EX version can be punished with EX DP or LP DP at point blank.

Critical Art
Safe if you block it, but you only block it if you’re standing up. It whiffs over you if you crouch giving you ample time to punish.[/details]

Fang

[details=Spoiler]
cr.HP- This is an anti air with almost no horizontal range and it’s cancellable, so it will probably never come up, but if it does punish with cr.HP xx DP
cr.HK- Sweep will reach at any range. EX tatsu will as well and does more damage, but it throws Fang across the screen and you want to keep him close so I don’t recommend it. At 1 block or closer cr.HP xx HP DP will punish.

df+HP- at max range safe against Critical Art. At 1.1 blocks critical art will punish. At .8 blocks LK xx tatsu will punish. At point blank cr.MP xx tatsu is your best damage.

Nishikyu (poison projectiles)
This one is weird. At point blank this move can be blocked standing, if you’re crouching then it will whiff over your head. If you’re right next to Fang, there isn’t a poison cloud in your way and he does any of the meterless versions of this move I suggest you do forward throw. I have two reasons for this. The first is that if he did the light version then the projectiles can fall back down on you and interrupt your punish combo, possibly letting Fang start a combo of his own. The second is that Fang is able to cancel the recovery of this move into his EX command dash, which is strike invincible but vulnerable to throws. Forward throw avoids both potential pitfalls while also allowing you a chance to continue your offense by pressuring him on wakeup. A higher damage option is to hit him with cr.HP xx EX tatsu or EX DP before the cancel window into command dash. Using the EX versions of these moves should prevent the projectiles from hitting you on the way back down. It is also possible to punish the command dash with critical art, cr.MK or sweep after he passes by you. Buffering the critical art in both directions like against Cammy’s V trigger spiral arrows is helpful in this case.

EX version is safe on block.

Ryobenda (poison cloud)
LK version safe against super if spaced at the edge of its (very small) range. At point blank super or sweep will punish. MK and HK versions punishable with sweep or cr.MK at any range connect. EX version completely safe on block including against critical art.

Sotoja (poison lunge)
LP- at max range only critical art. At 1.3 blocks sweep. At 1.2 blocks EX tatsu, if both hits connect EX tatsu will work. At 1 block or closer cr.HP
MP- at max range (2.2) safe against critical art. At 1.6 blocks sweep. at 1.1 blocks cr.HP
HP- At 2.4 safe against critical art. At 2.2 critical art punishes. at 1.7 sweep punishes. At 1.2 cr.HP
EX- safe

Critical Art
Another weird one. If you block the launch at the beginning then after the camera move you’ll need to block the other way as he crosses over you dropping poison bombs. If none of the bombs hit you then watch the first bomb, it will bounce once then hit the ground and disappear. As it disappears walk into the space it was in and jump forward. You should be able to jump in with HK as a punish and be close enough to follow it with cr.HP xx DP The timing is rather tight. If you block the first bomb then that makes the timing much easier. You can use critical art to punish it through the poison bombs, but it will lose several hits and do less damage as a result. If you blocked the activation at point blank range then my favorite punish is to immediately hold up-back relative to your original orientation, hit him with jump MP xx EX air tatsu. It does less damage than the jump in punish but it’s easier, still pretty good damage and I think it looks cool so I’ll take any legit chance to land it.[/details]

mate ive already started something similar haha, ill use yours as a handy reference as i do mine because it seems you’re ahead.
BIRDIE
st.HP -6 on block
close:
Meterless
cr.MP xx HK tatsu 168/280
1 Meter
cr.MP xx EX tatsu 185/280
3 Meter
cr.MP xx HP Fireball xx Super 370/190
Denjin

far:
safe from reversal Super

c.MP -5 on block, opponent is crouching on block
close:
Meterless
cr.MP xx HP dp 186/280
st.MP, cr.HP xx HP dp 253/395
st.MP, cr.HP xx HK tatsu 237/395
1 Meter
cr.MP xx EX dp 204/280
st.MP, cr.HP xx EX dp 269/395
st.MP, cr.HP xx EX tatsu 251/395
3 Meter
cr.MP xx HP dp xx super 442/280
st.MP, cr.HP xx HP dp xx super 477/395
Denjin
st.MP, cr.HP xx denjin xx HP dp xx super 463/590
st.MP, cr.HP xx denjin xx cr.MP xx LK tatsu, Super 406/596

far:
Meterless
cr.MP xx HP fireball 114/190
st.LK xx HP dp 156/250
1 Meter
3 Meter
cr.MP xx HP fireball xx super 370/190
Denjin

c.HP -9 on block
close:
Meterless
cr.HP xx HP dp 216/330
cr.HP xx HK tatsu 198/330
1 Meter
cr.HP xx EX dp 234/330
cr.HP xx EX tatsu 215/330
3 Meter
cr.HP xx HP dp xx super 472/330
cr.HP xx LK tatsu, super 418/330
Denjin
cr.HP xx denjin xx cr.MP xx HK tatsu 222/394
cr.HP xx denjin, st.HK, st.LK xx EX tatsu 268/439
cr.HP xx denjin, st.HK, st.LK xx HP dp 279/469
cr.HP xx denjin, cr.MP xx LK tatsu, super 404/574
cr.HP xx denjin, st.LK xx HP dp xx super 436/561
cr.HP xx denjin, HP dp xx super 463/560

far:
st.MK 60/100
cr.HK 100/150
super 320/0

well thats some of it, theres alot though

Karin

[details=Spoiler]
cr.MK-At max range safe. At point blank Critical art or lk xx EX tatsu
f+MK- At max range safe from reversal critical art. At .8 blocks critical art punishes. At point blank LK xx tatsu
cr.HP- cr.MP punishes, can follow with fireball, EX tatsu or critical art depending on meter.
HK- at max range safe against critical art. Critical art punishes at .7 blocks. At point blank LK xx tatsu
cr.HK- LP DP will punish at any range. EX also works but you’ll miss the second hit so it isn’t worth the meter. cr.LK and LK will punish from any range, but will not combo into anything at max range except critical art. Scaling causes this to do less damage than reversal critical art. At 1.1 blocks LK xx EX tatsu will combo. At point blank pushback will cause MP, cr.HP to whiff so go straight into cr.HP

Tenko (command dash into palm strike)
On meterless versions the idea punish is HK, LK xx HP DP but it requires exact timing. Combos starting with cr.HP are much easier and do comparable damage.
On EX HK will not punish so cr.HP is your best option.

Orochi (command dash into back strike)
All meterless versions safe, but EX punishable by combos starting with cr.HP

Mujinkyaku
I suggest doing reversal HP DP after the first two kicks. If they did the light version it will punish, if they did medium it will interrupt the overhead. Heavy is a true blockstring so you’ll continue blocking even while you do the DP command. You’ll have plenty of time to see that it was the heavy version and then punish with combos starting with HK or cr. HP

Ressenha (overhead)
I don’t recommend reversal Critical Art, it will lose if they do the command grab follow-up. I suggest MP DP after blocking the second hit. This will punish all versions on block and also beat both follow-up options.
EX versions is an invincible reversal, on block Max damage Crush Counter punishes are available.

Revision here, turns out Ressenha is a bit more complicated. EX version is still the same though.
If they do HP Ressenha at a range of 3.5 blocks it is still -4, but MP DP will not reach on its first active frame so it won’t punish in time. If they don’t do either follow up you can still punish with LK or super, but the command grab flip will dodge over the LK or super creating a mix up situation. Stand jab will beat both of the follow ups, but whiffs short if they don’t do any follow up giving them an opportunity to whiff punish your jab. So I wouldn’t call it safe exactly, but you don’t have a clear punish scenario at that specific range.

The light and medium versions of Ressenha can also be spaced to make MP DP whiff, but those versions are at least -5 against a standing opponent and HP DP’s longer reach allows you to reliably punish them regardless of spacing.

So if they do medium or light Ressenha then punish with HP DP, if they do HP and don’t space it perfectly punish with MP DP. If they do HP and space it perfectly then I recommend hitting LK if you don’t think they’ll do the command grab and LP if you think they will. Both will beat the slide.

I should also note that all of this is based on blocking a Ressenha from a standing position. Ressenha has a lot of active frames so if they knock you down and you wake up into the later active period of Ressenha it becomes completely safe on block.

V Skill
If uncharged then LK xx MK tatsu will punish. Charged version completely safe.

Guren Ken
This one is a doozy. There is no single foolproof punish to the first two hits. In order to get a guaranteed punish you need to block one of the follow up attacks. The palm strike can be punished with cr.HP. If the command grab flip whiffs it can be punished with max punish combos once she lands. The sweep follow up can be punished with cr.HP. The overhead follow up can be punished with cr.HP. The elbow follow up is safe on block, but it they do the additional attack that switches sides you can punish with cr.MP xx tatsu.
REVISION
This isn’t exactly a punish but I think it’s worth pointing out that if you do reversal super after the first two hits of Guren Ken then it loses to the command grab flip, but beats every other option including chasing down the quick retreat. So it’s essentially a 50/50 with the balance of damage massively in your favor.

Critical Art
Max damage Punish[/details]

I think it might be easier for people browsing that you put these in spoilers in the original post, or at least links to the comments themselves

Nonetheless this is some excellent stuff

Thanks! I’ll probably start collecting it at the first post pretty soon. To be honest I only just figured out where the edit button was a couple of minutes ago lol.

Ken

[details=Spoiler]
cr.MK- At point blank LK will punish, but anything he cancels into will beat LK. Critical Art should beat anything he does after, but not really a practical thing to look for.
back+mk- can punish at max range with LK xx tatsu
HP- safe against Critical Art. Can be punished by LP DP and EX DP at point blank range, but I’d only risk it after noticing the opponent has a bad habit of just doing this button at point blank.
cr.HP- If they don’t cancel it for some reason you can punish with cr.HP
HK- At max range critical art only. From 1 block or closer LK xx tatsu.
f+HK- At max range Critical Art only. From 1.2 blocks LK xx tatsu
cr.HK- Sweep or EX tatsu will punish at any range. cr.HP if you’re close.

b+MP xx HP Target combo- cr.HP is ideal, pushback causes MP, cr.HP to whiff.

V skill step kick- At max range safe from critical art. At 2.6 blocks critical art will punish. At 2.1 blocks cr.MK xx MK tatsu will punish. at 1.8 blocks cr.HP will punish.

Fireball
If a meterless fireball hits on its first active frame it can always be punished with reversal super. Sweep will also usually reach, though it can be spaced for safety. Any normal cancelled into fireball on block from point blank range can be punished with sweep. In order for Ken to cancel a normal into fireball and be safe from critical art on block he must hit at the very edge of the normal move’s range. If you are cornered then fireballs do no pushback and you can always punish a blocked meterless fireball with sweep. V trigger fireballs do not appear to be any safer on block.
EX fireball is completely safe on block, even against critical art.

Shoryuken
Max damage crush counter punish. Not much more to say. If they do light then maybe start with cr.HP to make it easier, but HK should still always punish.

Tatsu
LK and MK versions both punishable with Max Damage Punish, works both in and out of V trigger.
HK without V trigger- If you block the first hit then hold up-back, as he lands you’ll jump in with j.HK, cr.HP xx HP DP. CORRECTION: I must have messed up when I tested earlier, if you block the last hit of HK tatsu then it’s completely safe.
HK with V trigger- If you block the first hit then reversal HK tatsu will chase him down. You can also punish with EX fireball or super. If you’re already in V trigger you can punish with HP fireball. If you block the hits as he comes down he’s completely safe, you can’t punish those.
EX version- Jump in into max damage punish combo
NEW TECH: After knocking you down Ken can use MK tatsu to cross you up as you stand up. Saw a bunch of this at Winter Brawl so be prepared for everyone to be trying it out. If he does it midscreen then he’s safe even against critical art, but if Ken passes over you into the corner then you can punish with LP DP or EX DP. If Ken is in V trigger then he’s safe on block.

Critical Art
Dash forward into max damage punish combo from any range.[/details]

Laura

[details=Spoiler]
HK- Critical Art always punishes, LK xx tatsu works at 1 block or closer
cr.HK- Ryu’s own sweep and EX tatsu will always punish

f.HP -> HP target combo- Punish with cr.HP

V Skill (overhead)- Cannot be made safe against Critical Art through spacing. Might theoretically be made safe with a perfect setup. reversal HP DP will punish except at extreme tip of range. cr.MP xx EX tatsu if you want a bit more damage.

Bolt Charge (Elbow)
LP version is completely safe on block. MP version can be punished with max punish combo. There are visual and audio differences between the two. MP hits higher, moves a bit farther and Laura makes a different noise as she does it. Training yourself to recognize one instead of the other strikes me as being an important part of this matchup.
Hard is an anti-air, it whiffs on grounded opponents. If she whiffs it next to you for some reason she’ll drop down next to you for a max damage punish.
EX is a little more unsafe than MP, but is punished the same. Standard max damage punish.

Thunder Clap (projectile)
If they do this move meterless and without charging at point blank and you block it you can punish with MP, cr.MP xx MK tatsu. If they charge it until it hits twice it’s completely safe on block. If the projectile is spaced so that it spends any time traveling instead of immediately being blocked then the move is safe. The EX version is safe.

The command grab and Laura’s critical art are both throws, so they don’t exactly fit here. If Laura supers and you aren’t committed to something already then neutral jump and come down with a max punish combo.[/details]

I’m salivating, waiting for M. Bison. lol, good shit bro

It will be a pretty long list, since almost everything Bison has is easily punished aside from non deep LK.Scissor and MK.Scissor. A lot of his normals are “safe on block” for the most part, but very easily stuffed on startup. Ryu pretty much owns the Bison matchup easily. Get him in the corner too and he can’t really do jack against pressure. He’s almost totally free to jump ins as well.

Some extra punishes vs Birdie:

EX Bullhead;

• EX Tatsu

VT EX Bullhead:

• sLP
  • LP DP

Thanks for this information!