Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

right now I am not sure, my sec is nash & rashid

So cool that he can cancel his target combo into vtrigger. He can LK tatsu right after and get a super.

SF5 is quite specific notion wise as you can perform a super with a shortcut imput finishing with…DF.
That is why you get super instead of DP.
Luckily the DF, DF + P shoryu shotcut is still available.
so you have to do D HP, NEUTRAL, DF, NEUTRAL , DF + P.
you really have to do the neutral part. then no more super. On the bright side, you can cancel the cr hp really late. So it make it easy.

when FANG is doing his dash under move I can almost always catch him with target combo before he hits me, not sure if it was luck or not.
I think I have seen fourwude doing this vs bison too, but Ive trouble to catch bison’s teleport on time with ryus target combo

I feel V reversal is very strong for Ryu as his knocks down to a good distance I started using it a lot in the gief matchup against headbutt st Fp etc

Nice.

I’ll try that later.

I keep wanting to learn other characters but the eternal fist ponderer keeps drawing me back.

Whenever he lands a shot it just feels solid and satisfying as fuck.

Gotta step my parry game up though.

I used Ryu’s EX dp as an anti air whenever I can. It does 40 more damage than mp, which is a pretty efficient use of meter. And it seems to get full damage most of the time unlike mp dp which gets reduced (to 60?) after about the 10th frame

Was testing stuff the other day, and hilariously you can V-trigger stand MK and combo into light tatsu super.
Even better, you can do stand HK stand LK tatsu into super too.

Practical applications include max range whiff punishing, or even far jump ins where you can only combo into stand MK/sweep, but you V-Trigger into the stand HK stand LK tatsu combo.

Have you guys been using parry to get out of frame traps? Is it worth doing, or is it too risky?

Parry has 3 frame start up so a tight 2 frame trap means you gonna eat a counter combo.

Only certain frame traps. For example, Karins love to do St. MP, Cr. MP, Cr. MK or St. MK. You can fit a parry between any of those as long as she starts with St. MP, which is only +1. Cr. MP is +2 and you will get counterhit if you try to parry between Cr. MP and Cr. MP or between Cr. MP and St. MP.

Consistency of damage is really good, it seems to have a much wider hitbox as well so i use it to deal with some cross-ups, just tends to suck them right into the animation. I try to use mp.DP mostly though cos ryu’s ex fireball and CA are more important tools overall i think.

Are there any legit wake up, guard crush fireball setups yet?

V-trig cancel sweep at max range you can charge a fireball to guard crush on their wake up, provided they don’t quick rise)(it will work at close range but if they have invincible moves/they quick rise you’ll be in trouble). If they do and you’re at the max range you’ll have to just let it go, shouldn’t get punished unless they have a CA.

Nice. I’ll spend some time with that in training.

Sounds risky but it should be i suppose.

I just bought the frame data app to waste time while I wait to play this. Mulling over the frame data it looks like an EX fireball in V trigger only takes 40 frames of charge ( level 2) for a guard break of 32 frames.

As opposed to a regular charged fireball takes 59 frames of charge ( level 3) for a guard break of 32 frames.

That’s quite a difference at 19 frames for one bar. I’ll bet there’s some trap involving charged EX fireball , I’d start playing around with that.

I wasn’t aware of this although I’ve not played the final game yet. I’d bet you would catch a few players unaware with the shorter guard break timing.

Maybe this has been answered before but how do you unlock colors for the alternate costume. I know you play survival mode to unlock default costume colors but what about for old man ryu?

Gotta do that shit for each costume bro…

FOR EACH FUCKING COSTUME BRO!

:frowning:

Which app Highland?

I have V frames and Frame Assistant Tool but neither has that info… that i could find.

FAT has the best frame trap function ive ever seen though.

Type in 2 frames and it pumps out all the strings with two frame gaps. Very useful.

I have my homework for the night.