Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

Mate, add me on and we can run some sets and you can get a feel for more situations. I actually prefer the longer battle lounge sets to the box of chocolates that is ranked.

You can notice way more subtle stuff over a longer set.

Sounds good man.

I appreciate it.

Can I play with you guys? I’m in US northwest, Pacific time zone. CFN is gorillacat

With this netcode we’d be lucky mate.

We’re in Australia.

So Ryu’s v trigger is cool for combo extensions, but I’m less fond of it for sweep into v trigger. The fireballs are cool, but you don’t get many of them. It just doesn’t do enough for me at neutral to be a go to move.

I’m leaning more towards using the meter for v reversals in certain match ups.

Dunno, free heavy normal thats plus on block and your crazy ass zoning game shuts down the play for 15 seconds is still pretty damn good. Plus the unblockables from crush counter sweep and EX fireball in V-trigger is like the best fireball in any game ever.

I’m not a fan of V-reversal yet unless I’m playing Dhalsim or Bison.

While doing the s.mp, c.hp xx shoryuken, I often get a super (if my bar is full) or a fireball instead of the dp.

I try to do 5.mp, 3.hp x 23.hp

Is there an easier way to get consistent or am I just messing up in the inputs and should just keep practising this way?

After the cr hp, let go of the joystick so it returns to neutral, then input dp or fireball. Works cleanly for me.

Train with the inputs on. In SFV, super comes out as soon as the game registers a d, (df,) f, d, (df,) f + p motion. So in theory, you could skip the df motions but
if you get a super when going for a shoryuken it means that you ended your shoryu with forward+p.

I’m thinking that the goal in each round, versus any character, is to get two activations per round.

Ideally as well, you should save as much meter as possible for activation, or at the very least if you’re going to use meter, use it in V Trig. EX FB uses the same meter in and out of V, and I don’t think I have to go into the differences between the two versions. It’s just a better use of meter.

I do agree that v-reversal is the most consistent risk/reward use of your meter, but v trigger activation itself has high utility. Sweep into v trigger shouldnt be ignored, and using v trigger activation to super to punish neutral FBs and other stuff can really constrict your opponents options. St mk vtrig into super shouldn’t be scoffed at either.

As an aside, I think v trigger super is underutilized. Guaranteed damage off of block is invaluable, especially considering the possible comebacks from no chip.

That’s a cool concept. Ex v trigger fireball is the shit.

I really don’t get using EX Fireball outside of very specific situations like forcing a knockdown or clinching a round. Yes, meter builds so quickly in this game it’s not that big a deal, but why not get off multiple CA’s as opposed to EX fireballs? Feels like a waste of meter.

There are good uses for it. Sets up meatys, blows through single hit armour, always safe on block, combos from St.lk , knocks down.

Ryu has that many good things in his game it’s easy to just rely on the super strong stuff. Personally I like using it in matches where I’m getting outplayed and they can punish my regular fireball - like Chun Li. It actually stuffs a lot of moves that would beat regular fireball.

Like we mentioned - Once in V trigger it’s the best fireball in the game.

While I don’t deny there are uses for it, I just feel like they are very specific. That being said, perhaps that’s the difference between being competent at the game and good at the game. Being able to eek out those little differences in the right match-ups are probably the differences between W’s and L’s

Agreed that once in V-Trigger, you can do some crazy fireball stuff.

More notes from Daigo, here on the Karin match.

Ohohohohohohoho

Daigo’s Notes (Volume 3)
Written by @daigothebeast
Translated with Daigo’s permission by @jiyunajp
(THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE ESSAY/ARTICLE, JUST NOTES THAT WERE WRITTEN BY DAIGO. These are literally just Daigo’s preparatory notes that he allowed me to translate and post online. This is a direct translation; the interpretation is up to you. More notes to come every week; check out https://www.twitch.tv/daigothebeastv for the full breakdown.)

ANTI-KARIN STRATEGY (Starts at 16:45) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YMSauUbvc#t=16m45s

"Sorry, I quickly put these together last night; I’ll go into more detail on the stream. Anyway, just like we did with the Nash matchup, the first thing we need to do in order to develop a strategy is to confirm each character’s strengths and weaknesses.

Ryu’s Advantages
-Meterless Reversal
-Projectile

Karin’s Advantages
-Fast Walk Speed
-Damage From Midrange is High
-Long Reach on her Normals

Even at close range, Karin has the advantage in damage output, so you may have the first impression that she wins at close range as well, but if you take into account the difference in health totals, there’s actually not that much of a difference in attack power. On the other hand, since Ryu has a DP, you can even say that he has the advantage at close range.

Basically, because of Karin’s advantage at midrange, the ranges Ryu wants to fight at is either outside of her normal range where you can attack with fireballs or at close range. However, if you continue to stay in fireball range then you will gradually get pushed to the corner where a real damage gap will be born, so ideally you want to fight Karin at close range.

As for getting close to Karin, Jump and Dash are good tools, but you should avoid walking. The reason why is that in addition to her longer range and faster walkspeed, there is a damage gap at mid-range, so if you attempt to approach by walking then you are playing to all of her advantages. By Jumping and Dashing, you can take away her strengths. Actually, it’s rather difficult for Karin to deal with jumping since she does not have a meterless DP.

In order for Karin to deal with jumps without spending meter, she must either walk forward to go under the jump or walk backwards to Anti-Air with normal attacks. Using fireballs is effective against both of these options, but the most beneficial tool here is sweep. Sweeping is the strongest move against walking opponents (Karin, Vega, etc.). Your opponent must be wary of your sweep which will cause them to stop walking and block low more often, which in turn gives you more chances to dash forward and stay on top of them.

About V-Gauge: Karin’s normals are very easy to confirm and V-reversal, so if you have meter then look to do so. On the other hand, at close range your fireballs and heavy attacks are also prone to being V-Reversal’d, so try not to use them. If you have full V-Gauge, then you sweep without any risk, so at this point your opponent should begin to become even more wary and sweep and begin blocking low more often. This is your chance to walk or dash forward.

When Karin has full V-Gauge, you need to watch out her Stand RH > V-Trigger cancel; however, since your projectile and jump are still effective, you just need to walk and dash forward less to deal with it."

https://youtu.be/-RPbtgpx_mY

News to me. I saw a guy at my locals do SP then Uppercut, and it just looked rapid. It didn’t look like a link. He didn’t know he was doing anything different. Thought I’d investigate earlier today and it has some DP cancel property. It’s more like a two-part special if anything.

It’s great for chip truestrings mainly, but the above video is useful against a few characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C2KZ0xTmg0

aaaaand notes.

Damn, dash st.hk is beastly! Nice work mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5s3tVCLLk