Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

Sorta thinking that if you’re in a position to meaty and at +4 (such as from HP SRK > dash, or MK Tatsu > dash), you should always meaty with cr.LP. It will always hit on the 2nd frame, so you’ll be at +3.

You have more options here than meatying with cr.MP or st.MP, such as:

• Better frame adv, meaning more frame trap options like cr.LP > cr.MK xx Hado, or crush with cr.LP > cr.HP.
  • Better, longer strings, meaning more meter build.
  • Better confirms, in the sense that you have more time to confirm into LP LP xx SRK
  • Better mixups. You’re still in range to do a 1f walk-up > Throw and it’ll still beat 3f jab. It’s hard but it’s still his best grounded tick.
  • Safe meaty. Vs some reversals it’s completely safe, and useful because it’s usually that character’s only reversal option (Nash super, Fang super, Rashid EX uppercut (I think)).
  • Safe to V-Reversals. You always have time to throw/punish/parry after the block and activation. Plus, it’s harder for the opponent to time it.
  • Low commitment, so easier to react to backroll/nothing. If they backroll, you still have advantage enough to safely meaty again.

There’s a bunch more benefits, but generally boils down to just giving better, more sustained pressure and in some instances is completely safe.

I was just making a vid on meatys, I was going to chuck st.jab in there too, its a very good button in all situations like you say. Never thought of it beating out supers though. Top stuff mate.

Not sure about confirms though , I’d prolly follow through anyway with my old man reactions. Mp offers me time to think.

Do you think Ryu needs buffs? I find that he only has bad match ups, and even ones, 0 good match ups. He has so many bad things that the only thing that keeps me playing him is his shoryuken, everything else is so freakin bad

I think Ryu is pretty close to being 5:5 with most members of the cast. He has the most versatile tool set of the entire cast (invincible reversal, parry, projectile, pretty high DMG, etc.) That’s not to say he doesn’t have terrible match-ups, but I don’t think they are Ryu specific.

I think what’s hardest about Ryu is figuring out the right time to push the right button. Many other characters kind of have a couple default things you can do and pretty much be dominant. Ryu requires a lot more practice and patience IMO.

Well that’s quite sad. With Dlashim, Karin, Chun´li, Bison Nash, Vega etc you can do whatever you want without being punished

Think confirming from lights is what separates the men from the boys, to be honest. Converting off j.LK and from cr.LK, as well as defensive jabs, is important. Not essential, but important.

FTFY.

Great stuff, I’ll need to practice meatying with cr. lp. I usually default to b+hk, st hp or the mps. Could you explain why it’s safe against certain reversals? Are you already blocking by the time Nash, Rashid, etcs. reversals are in their active frames?

Your fireball video is amazing. I’d rather have old man reactions but have that kind of knowledge.

That’s what I love about Ryu. He rewards knowing street fighter, reads, and learning the opponent. His V-skill is basically reads based damage

J.lk is a piece of cake, prob his easiest confirm, crouching lk is ok for me when I’m on, counter hit jab though into another on their wake up , not sure. Counter jab into Mp then a cancel is fine too.

I dunno maybe I just need practice! I’ve not weaved the defence st.jab from wake up into my game either. Prob an area I need to work on.

I can’t do anything with jabs or lights unless I’m jumping in with lk or doing a standing lk. For some reason standing lp, crouching lp, and crouching lk are really hard for me to confirm into anything else other than more lights lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQ-lmDeQ0A

Abare has it’s place. Not a go-to strat, though.

I didn’t know Rasids mixer was that slow either, I had it in my head it was 5 frames for some reason. This changes my approach a bit, I was just flat out baiting these out before on wake up.

I can confirm off lights when I’m pressuring my opponent after a knockdown, but I’m still not doing it during scrambles or when I’m getting up from a knockdown. Part of the reason is that Ryu’s HP SRK won’t combo from the max range where you can still land two light attacks. But the main reason is that I’m simply not looking for it. Like most people I’m just mashing jab randomly as to push my opponent away. I try telling myself to look for this but it all goes away in the middle of a match. Even top Ryu’s like Tokido, Bonchan, and Daigo only seem to get it half the time. So regardless of your skill level it’s hard to keep your focus on things like this when you have so many things going through your mind during a match.

But anyways, if you’re at a range where you’re not sure if HP SRK will hit and you’re willing to burn the meter than two lights into EX tatsu always works. Damage is decent and you never have to worry about it whiffing like HP SRK does.

Yeah the HP DP whiffing is nightmarish. I second guess myself sometimes even on a whiff punish.

Hardest thing about Ryu is being fucking patient.

Holy shit, Ryu is just terrible against every top tier character in the game. Chun.li, Bison, Vega, Karin, Nash, Dalshim and EVEN KEN are way better than him. Better normlas, safer specials and better mixups. The only good thing about Ryu is his dp, which is sad.

He needs buffs, everything about him sucks, even his frame data is awfull (your best metie is NEUTRAL on block? WTF)

Play one of them then.

Honestly, get the fuck out of here and troll in Ryu Facebook groups, on Eventhubs or CapcomUnity.

Your shit posting isn’t even mildly amusing and doesn’t add anything to the discussion.