Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

Phenom is wrong about the footsies in this game flat out. The thing to understand is that every character hasn’t been designed to stand in a spot and whiff punish. They don’t have the tools for it. It’s obvious who you want to play as if that’s the footsie game that you want.

Vega, Chun, Karin, Cammy etc are built around that style of mid range. You can whiff punish all day with them.

Ryu can play that game, but not in every match up. SF5 ryu mid range is more like if Sf4 Dudley had a fireball and invincible DP.

Bison obviously can’t do it because he doesn’t walk. Bison is like what if Sf4 sagat replaced his shots with scissor kicks and had an invulnerable dash

You can confirm the throw whiff and get something into tatsu or use stand mp instead and confirm into target combo.

Easy way to train the reaction is setting guard actions. Set 1 as reversal throw. And set 2 as crouch block. Play back both.

Press your button every time, but only the special or target combo on throw whiff

Also this isn’t only for jump ins. A single blocked crouch jab is usually enough to take you out of reversal throw range. You can do stuff like dash crouch jab and wiggle into your throw bait.

The SF5 bible has a section in the front that talks about this.

The absolute easiest way is hold forward as if you’re blocking a cross up, then down, then the diagonal that your opponent jumped to and press mp. Kinda like HCB +mp starting from the launch side.

SF4 Sagat had good footsies though…

Whiff punishing in this game isn’t a reaction, its a twitch read. You either win or you lose, you can’t position yourself in spots like in SF4 where the buttons become ambiguous.

Don’t get me wrong, the game is good, but the ranges that play out in this game are much wider than previous games. You’re either really close or really far.

I feel like one of Ryu’s strong points is that he can actually stand in SF4 ranges and substitute his good low forward for simple fireballs.
Fullscreen zoning is ass, but I had decent success with throwing balls relatively close to my opponent.

Is it just me or c.LK is the most useless button we have, considering c.LP is better in range, frame advantage on block and hit, damage, and it also cancels into itself and s.LP, which c.LK doesn’t do.

It hits low, I’ve been using it to tick throw along with c.LP. I also like to empty jump low with it and combo c.lk>c.LP>>ex tatsu. Sometimes I c.lk, walk back a hair and then c.mk, which is kinda cheesy but is good for spacing and a little damage.

That’s not the game for everyone. Pick one of the footsie characters instead of making a sweeping generalization. Ryu plays close or far, but you’re ignoring the mid range heavy characters that are in the game.

Those characters are the minority. I find it more disturbing that this edition is called “footsie” edition when in reality there are just as many gamble situations as other games.

Mika? Birdie? Rashid? Nash?

A sweeping generalisation would be calling SF5 “honest” but that seems to be the call.

Hey people! Has anyone got any setups after a back throw?? Really feel like I’m wasting my opportunity after I do one.

So we ignore those characters? Ok. What’s funny is that if the minority aren’t included, you can go ahead and play Sf4 ranges except with shorter buttons.

Not if they quick rise/roll, which everybody is always going to do on your backthrow. If for whatever reason they don’t tech then a very slight step forward into jump forward HK can safejump, but it is manually timed and quite difficult to get consistently.

Backthrow is meant to create space, if you’re trying to set them up use forward throw instead.

No because shorter buttons means standing closer which in turn opens up other options that wouldn’t be there if you were playing at “footsie” range. You want to take Chun Li on with normals at the mid range? See how that works out…

This Ryu is a very different beast. He’s good, probably one of the best, but I’ll say it again, it’s not because his footsies are good. It’s that his design is perfect for this games up close traps and his damage from confirms is high. He has auto meatys and a good amount of different startups on normals which gives him multiple trap situations.

I think back throw leaves you at negative frames on any kind of dash or whatever.

Yeah I don’t think you can get anything off back throw.

You can do the same but better since low jab is better than low short in all cases.

Not if you empty neutral jump. People will block high and you can hit confirm cr.lk cr.lp DP or Tatsu.

Also in a reset situation cr.lk is the better option since again the side switch will make them block high.

Definitely not, only thing i can think of is an ex hado during VT might be quick enough to keep pressure on, at the least you’d be safe if they quick rise and tried to jump over.

Still it’s frustratingly bad especially when you want to put someone back into the corner.

Eh, that’s probably why they pushed the damage up to 140. Considering how good his forward throw is, and how Ryu generally wants to be offensive, I’ll take that trade.

So never payed attention to the frame data on RH. Only -1 is pretty good. Going to try to use it more even tho it misses crouching. The payoff on hit or crush counter hit is too good to ignore.

I thought it was like -10 or something the way the animation is on block

The risk reward is pretty great right now considering it’s comboable even without the CC, but honestly I think people are getting away with it a little now because opponents aren’t punishing it when it whiffs on crouch. People are gonna get wise to that.

I just use s.hp for the neutral CCs. I’m too scared of using rh when it whiffs on crouchers and the Knockdown on CC for s.hp is good enough for me.