Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

Despite saying that footsie stuff I still think he’s a good character. His dash is good, his damage is good, his AA is good, he can hit confirm into super with ease. His parry is decent. His meaty game is good with axe kick.

??? seriously? Every character has antiairs, his dash is "“normal” his dmg is shit outside of a crush counter and his parry is friking bad (countehit after? seriuosly?). He’s bad, and the range in his normals is so terrible that it looks like you a playing a grappler.

The game is still in it’s infancy. Adapt. On a handful of occasions I’ve outplayed good players with Ryu. You just gotta be patient.

i’m not saying that i don’t have to adapt, i did and it feels really clunky that the cr.mkm reaches so short, what i’m saying is that Ryu is bad as a character, and that has nothing to do with player skill

In that case use St. MK instead or B. HK or even Hado. Another forum member said something in either this or another Ryu thread that perhaps the developers are trying to get players to not use Cr. MK as much as we used to. This isn’t SFIV we have different options at our disposal and it’s up to us to choose correctly. Who knows, maybe they’ll buff the range on the Cr. MK in the future.

Well i would be fine if everyone had a bad cr.mk, but happens that Ryu has one of the worst among the whole cast. Maybe they wanted another kind ofRyu play, but the problem is that if you remove his footsies the character will suck

I find that most players that think Ryu is bad always complain about cr. MK.

Y’all gotta let it go.

bearded ryu is the most dopest lookin character in this game,
play him and you are hella dope

Yes. Dragon punch.

His style is somewhat similar to chun. She’s better overall but to each his own. Ryu is easier.

Why are people saying ryu doesn’t do much damage outside of cc? Thats total nonsense. You can add CR HP xx HP DP to most combos. Mad damage.

The damage is what I enjoy most about him.
Birdie, Chun Li and Nash are a mystery to me though in terms of matchup.
No fucking clue how to beat that shit.

This is the first SF game I play though where I feel more or less comfortable against Dhalsim though.

Hey guys, some interesting things I found out today. Might be useful, might already be known to you:

1. I was having trouble figuring out why my opponents always seemed to be able to tech after my blocked jump-ins, but didn’t get caught by my buttons when I tried to frame trap. I figured out that when you jump in with j.HK or j.MK, st.MP afterwards is often a true blockstring, meaning they can mash throw tech and it won’t get frame trapped.

I tested some stuff out, and it turns out that if you land a blocked j.MK and immediately Axe Kick, this will almost never be a true blockstring (unless you hit the j.MK super deep), meaning that if they try to throw tech, they will actually get blown up and you can combo. Of course, you could always delay the st.MP by a few frames, but that’s tough to time.

Similar concept works for j.LK and st.MP. Since I started using Axe Kick or throw as my two main options after blocked jump-ins, my success rate with the throw/frame trap mixup has improved dramatically. Hope it helps you as well!

1. Quick matchup note vs. Nash: I was facing a good Nash recently who was using st.HP xx HP Sonic Boom a lot as a close up chip string that left him safe (-2) on block. Testing this out later, I found that the LP and MP versions are true blockstrings, but the HP one (which is the only safe one) isn’t. This means you can always mash MP Shoryu when you see Nash press st.HP up close.

If he stops at st.HP, it’s unsafe on block and MP Shoryu punishes.

If he goes for LP or MP boom, then it’s a true blockstring and Shoryu won’t come out, allowing you the punish afterwards.

If he goes for HP boom, your MP Shoryu will interrupt the string.

It’s not gonna revolutionise the matchup, but I’ve seen a few Nashes who are fond of doing it, and it’s good to know there’s an easy way to never let them do it again!

I feel like it’s safer to jump in then block and let them whiff the throw and punish on reaction. If you’re trying to catch it with an false blockstring you might eat a mashed DP or get jabbed out if you mistime it. Jump in block beats both delay tech and mashing. Of course make sure you space the jump in so that you’re not blocking in throw range.

Well, jumping in so that you’re far enough away that you can just block and not risk getting thrown is pretty rare. You’re talking about a direct forward jump with a far-spaced j.MK or j.HK, and most of those get anti-aired, in my experience. If you are too far away to get thrown, you’re also probably too far away to apply any sort of effective frame trap, so yes, your best option in that situation may well be to block and reassess the situation.

I was really talking about getting deep jump-ins or - especially - getting cross-ups with j.MK and j.LK. In these situations you’re too close to the opponent to just block, unless they’re a character that can DP, and you really think they’re going to DP. In most instances though, it’s a better idea to either go for a frame trap or a throw. My point was just that I figured out some easier ways of frame trapping that are less likely to get mistimed, because you can just do it immediately after landing.

If you jump in with j.lk then backdash, you can whiff punish the button/throw with cr.mk. It’s a pretty decent strategy, much like the dash up dash back.

Ever since I saw Daigo use the dash in dash out shimmy I’ve been using it ever since. It’s such a great way to blow up whiff throws. One of the ways I like to use it is after a blocked sweep into V Trigger. This little trick has won me or helped me win many matches. I’m actually looking into more ways to utilize it. For example if you anti-air with a st. Jab and dash under, better players will be able to react to that and block your meaty after a side switch. But if you dash under and back dash, you could also punish a whiffed throw this way since they will be looking to tech in this situation as well.

As for back dashing after a jump in, I tried using that at first for a little while but didn’t have much success. What is working great for me is j. MK/HK and walk back. Most decent players will not tech right away and instead will wait a bit because they think I’ll do a block string. But eventually they’ll tech so I’ve landed a cr. MK > fireball/EX fireball a lot from this method.

For the backdash jump in it depends the normal, j.mk and hk push you too far out. St.fierce X target is also a good one after anything since it’s unlikely to get punished and hits both high and low

How do you stop people from waking up with jab?

Time your meatys better. If you are too far to get a close mp or axe kick , use meaty cr.mk or cr.mp.

You are losing to jab after a throw right?

Yes usually.

Because there’s not enough time to get a true meaty, if you dash forward meaty after a throw, the wake up jab will always beat the meaty. In this situation you must manually time something to beat the jab.

What you want to do in that situation is either walk a tiny space and cr.mk xx fireball, cr.mp, sweep from where you are standing ( carries risk) or use a raw fireball to put them under pressure as they wake. In other words you have to stop them from jabbing by stuffing that jab on wake up via other means. An immidiatle solar plexus after the throw will meaty, but it’s a tight frame.

Easiest thing to do - “set wake up actions” then as the timer counts down press jab and you should see the “reversal” message. This means that the dummy is pressing jab at the earliest possible time it can on wake up. Now set wake up action to quick rise ( I think this is called “normal” in the menu)

Now throw the dummy - work out what wins as the dummy stands up and reversal jabs.

Now interchange the throw with a sweep - work out what wins.

Now interchange the sweep with a combo - work out what wins.

If you can stuff the jab before it comes out you can use that set up, if you get hit, you can’t.

Now do it all again for back rise then you will have yourself a set of situations where you know what wins.