Rose Strategies and Match-ups

I’ll add this stuff. I just got done re-doing abel’s forum tired.

Rose is good against Gief not only for f+hk, her j.hp beats lariat clean.

Good shit Zakuta, I can see we’re going to be discussing a lot of Rose gameplay :lovin: .

it could just be the people i play against but even after it beats lariat you can still be reversed so i tend do do jhp then rejump and do it again for the combo into drill or super.

Hey everyone, I went to the SF4 Launch Party and got in a bunch of games with Rose. I thought I’d post up some of the things I noticed during matches. This might be old to anyone who already has the game, though.

• EX Soul Throw and early c.HP were the most reliable anti-airs I could find. I couldn’t get the timing down for anti-air Ultra though! That’s definitely something I need to work on when I get the game.

• After regular or EX Soul Throw, I was going for crossup j.MK, close s.MP, c.MP xx LK Soul Spiral. It would probably be easier to just do crossup into c.HP xx LK Soul Spiral, but I’m not sure which does more damage and/or stun.

• I couldn’t seem to hit Guile out of a Sonic Boom with Rose’s Ultra, even from fairly close range. I suppose his recovery is too short, or maybe the Ultra doesn’t have enough invincible frames.

• Everyone with the game has probably tried it by now, but I was trying to find a good kara-throw normal for Rose. f+HK didn’t seem to work, and I couldn’t get the df+MK slide to kara into throw.

• Far s.MK is really good for beating low jabs obviously, and everyone seemed to get hit by a followup far s.RH.

• I think jumping backward and immediately hitting LK is an overhead, but it’s probably a bad idea against certain characters. Sagat might be able to f+RH you.

• I was trying this, but I never got it to work. Is it possible to use EX Soul Throw when someone tries to cross you up using the crossup DP command in CVS2? It went something like, press forward as they begin their jump, then motion to downback as they go behind you. It might even be possible with something simpler in SF4 due to the DP shortcuts, maybe start at downforward instead of forward as they jump over you?

• What does everyone use as a straight-up jump normal to come down with? I was using MK and HP. HK felt like it was too slow to come out.

i use hp cuz it angles down and seems to have priority over lots of things hell i beat out a reversed tiger upper with it two nights ago. from watching that combo video of hers it seems you can only get regular scarf to combo from her hard attacks while the ex will combo from her mids and maybe lights as well. i want to try that combo someone said earlier about the hp scarf into soul throw but only my friend has the game. :arazz: and i have work tonight :tdown:

You can still get a combo, so there’s no need to worry. You only have to kinda worry if it gets blocked.

I don't think there's much point doing EX Soul Throw, unless you're kinda late to the party with normal Soul Throw. Also EX version loses invincibility after she leaves the ground. A normal Soul Throw should always suffice and the damage is the same.

Ultra vs. fireballs only work if you're relatively close and the fireball is next to your opponent. Again, Rose herself doesn't have much invincibility, rather, her ultra has a massive hitbox (seriously).

Rose doesn't have good kara throws. Just do normal throw, it has a lot of range anyway.

EX Soul Throw vs. cross-up might work due to speed, but be careful as she doesn't have invincibility in the air, only when she's grounded.

AA ultra would be tricky. Just like all other Ultras, it has relatively slow start-up. You're better off with a general AA or Soul Throw. Must remind that this isn't A2 and d+mp doesn't work as an AA, seen as it has a low hitting animation! :p

Also, you must use EX reflect to reflect EX fireballs.

I disagree with your opinion that AA ultra is tricky, I thought it was relatively easy. For god sake I was able to ultra Abel’s over head command move (the ex version). The only thing that is tricky about using her ultra is punishing a whiffed move.

Also, you can have a good amount of distance when punishing fireballs with ultra, its basically the distance of her scarf when it extends when it is blocked (i hope that makes sense but block her ultra and see how far her scarf extends and thats your distance).

And about stuffing lariat, a good zangief is not gonna use his lariat as an AA, just to let you guys know they will only really use it if they connect it with a crossover combo (Ex. crossover down+lk > Down+lk > lariat).

It is tricky because it means your opponent has to do a move with a great deal of recovery. The Ultra still has start up and you can block it on the way down. It’s the same as jumping into it as soon as you see Ultra flash. If you’re doing it against moves like Scissor Kick and Wheel Kick of course it’s going to connect - but that’s not using it in an AA fashion - the way you are putting it you are using it to punish advancing special moves, rather than direct jump-ins, which is what the term AA is generally used for.

And the fireball has to be a certain distance between you and your opponent for the ultra to connect, as well as the distance between you and your opponent. If you are mid-distance and the fireball is almost directly in front of Rose’s face then you suffer a high chance of getting hit by the fireball whereas if the fireball was closer to her opponent they suffer a high chance of getting hit by the Ultra (put recovery of fireball and the speed of fireball into play and you have something to think about). Rose herself isn’t invincible for very long, so it’s a risky Ultra attempt so I wouldn’t recommend it.

Most of the time I caught anyone with a AA ultra it was direct jump in (Jump in roundhouse, medium kick what have you) Most people don’t attack with a flying scissor kick or wheel kick so that point if pretty moot. If you need some clarification its pretty much the same timing and punishing a DIRECT jump in with demon, the timing is not difficult, just takes practice. Of course there are certain situations that you will get stuffed, like if you execute Ultra way too early in their jump in or too late.

And as far as your point with fireballs, I don’t believe it is a CERTAIN specific distance but rather you just simply can’t be too far and you have to have the right timing, of course if the fireball is right in your face you’re going to eat it. Rather if the fireball is relatively close but not directly next to you, you can punish it as long as you have timing. I like to compare it to doing Chun Li’s super against shoto players in Third Strike (but even less risky than this!). I honestly don’t think this is super risky like you said, as when I played Rose I had played with experienced Sagat players who play a relatively safe fireball game.

So uh… when you do EX reflect with jab (the absorb version)… what exactly happens? Does she gain more super meter?

This has been THE INVINCIBLE SWORDSMAN saying:

And if you EX absorb another EX fireball do you gain more super meter?

st. roundhouse against blanka all day every day
st. forward works really well also.
does anyone know if her d/f forward goes under blanka ball?
throwing fireballs against blanka is still kinda useless

It’s EX reflect, not absorb.

[- I couldn’t seem to hit Guile out of a Sonic Boom with Rose’s Ultra, even from fairly close range. I suppose his recovery is too short, or maybe the Ultra doesn’t have enough invincible frames.

I played online and used rose as well and Vs guile , and using the reflect on a LP Sonic boom can be risky if he is advancing towards you or dashing in as he can follow up with say a S HK or a F+HP. I use Guile a lot so I know a lot of his tricks.

I wonder if anyone tried to EX reflect an EX Sonic Boom, but thats high risk :rofl:

against those who are adept at a rushdown strategy, rose seems to lack the “Get the heck off me” moves like the Ex Flash kick.

As pointed out in the threads, C HP and soul throw are her main Anti airs. As it is early days with online play for SF4, hopefully all of us can continue to come up with ideas.

if you do a d/f MK, you’ll eat the barrell roll, a friend of mine uses blanka and is adept at rushing down. and yes fire balls are not that great against him unless used in combos. I don’t think she has any overhead attacks but the S HK is one i like using a lot coz of the range.

Hows her c. MP?

Excellent thread.

I just wanted to add that you soul throw Abel diving kick (Sorry, I don’t know the name of the move yet.) I’ve only been able to do it at close and mid range tho. I just get punished by the move at far range.

How are you guys managing your meter? I’ve found myself not really using many EX attacks to save up for the drill supercancel combos, but then I only maybe get two supers per three rounds. Are there any faster ways to build meter? Or should I not worry about using the super too much and focus on putting EX moves to good use?

I’m more used to Guilty Gear, where you can generally build meter pretty fast and can use it for pretty much whatever you want. It seems like more of a limited resource in SF4, and I’m not really sure what to do ;_;

EDIT: I was also just playing a match online vs Gen (not Ken or Ryu, hooray). He activated his ground ultra, and I immediately did mine to punish, but he ended up just running straight through me and we both whiffed.

I use it to combo into the soul spiral.

can someone please post a list of the situations where the ultra is guaranteed, like hitting them out of the air with certain moves and what-not