Rose Strategies and Match-ups

Since most strategies and tricks are matchup-dependent, it makes sense to group the two together. Discuss anything useful in actual matches here, from specific tactics, to character-dependent move counters, to overall gameplans. The more specific you get, the better. It would be greatly appreciated if you took the time to test out everything you plan on saying in training mode to make sure that it works and to provide some numbers for stuff like damage and dizzy amount.

I’ll update this post as info comes in so no one has to scan thru xx amount of pages for info.

General info from Thrust07.

Staple poke strings:
cr. lp, cr. lk, cr. mp xx lk. Soul Scarf (Drill) xx Super
Even if you make it to the Soul Scarf, at that distance, it’s safe on block.

df. mk, st. mk
Naturally, after a slide, the opponent wants to hit back with a low mk or so, but the slide recovers fast enough to hop up on her scarf and hit the poke back with st. mk. I imagine you could exchange this for st. hk every once in a while.

Soul Reflect info vs fireballs:

I hate admitting it, but you need to be really, REALLY on point to reflect fireballs. The startup of the Reflect takes a while. And if an EX-Fireball comes at you, you need to be alert enough to counter. Some times hopping/sliding/fadc (normal fireballs) is a better option. Against Sagat, you shouldn’t try to sit back and reflect, but maybe reflect then walk forward, anticipating another fireball or Tiger Knee.

Ultra uses:

When you have Ultra, opponent can not jump at you or Tiger Knee. Otherwise, they’re getting their powers wiped out by the cleansing motion of the Sham-wow.

Soul Throw:

Soul Throw beats Bison’s annoying Head Stomp. Great news. EX-Soul Throw does crap damage, but beats I believe it beats anything in the air.

Match up specific info:

Vs Abel:

Vs Akuma:

Vs Balrog:

Vs Blanka:

Vs C.Viper:

Vs Cammy

Vs Chun-Li:

Vs Dan:

Vs Dhalsim:

Vs E.Honda:

Vs El Fuerte:

Vs Fei Long:

Vs Gen

Vs Gouken:

Vs Guile:

Vs Ken:

Vs M.Bison:

Vs Rose:

Vs Rufus:

Vs RYu:

Vs Sagat:

Vs Sakura:

Vs Seth

Vs Vega:

Vs Zangief:

Towards + HK eats Zangief’s lariat FOR FREE. This match, IMO, is in Rose’s favor. She can sit back and toss slow fireballs, and when Gief is spinning, you have the Towards + HK from good distance away.

*Im just throwing info on here, once we get a good amount I’ll start to re-organize it inot a FAQ format

Here are examples of my previous work.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5465880&postcount=1

Against fireball based characters, it would be clear that the soul reflect will be used to reflect fireballs back towards your opponent (ie REturn to sender) :wgrin:

You could then use the reflected projectile as a shield while you advance on your opponent, and counter anything that they may do.

For instance, reflecting say Ken’s fireball and then advancing towards him (you can dash in as well) and if he jumps over his own fireball go for the soul throw (same command as a dragon punch) or an anti air attack. This is almost simular to doing Guile’s strategy of doing a LP Sonic Boom and following behind it and reacting to what your opponent does.

Launching your own fireball after reflecting his could also be a posiibility.

The above is this is just a general blueprint about what you can do against say vs Shotos.

Rose’s poke strings are awesome.
Staples:
cr. lp, cr. lk, cr. mp xx lk. Soul Scarf (Drill) xx Super
Even if you make it to the Soul Scarf, at that distance, it’s safe on block.

df. mk, st. mk
Naturally, after a slide, the opponent wants to hit back with a low mk or so, but the slide recovers fast enough to hop up on her scarf and hit the poke back with st. mk. I imagine you could exchange this for st. hk every once in a while.

I hate admitting it, but you need to be really, REALLY on point to reflect fireballs. The startup of the Reflect takes a while. And if an EX-Fireball comes at you, you need to be alert enough to counter. Some times hopping/sliding/fadc (normal fireballs) is a better option. Against Sagat, you shouldn’t try to sit back and reflect, but maybe reflect then walk forward, anticipating another fireball or Tiger Knee.

Towards + HK eats Zangief’s lariat FOR FREE. This match, IMO, is in Rose’s favor. She can sit back and toss slow fireballs, and when Gief is spinning, you have the Towards + HK from good distance away.

Soul Throw beats Bison’s annoying Head Stomp. Great news. EX-Soul Throw does crap damage, but beats I believe it beats anything in the air.

When you have Ultra, opponent can not jump at you or Tiger Knee. Otherwise, they’re getting their powers wiped out by the cleansing motion of the Sham-wow.

More to be updated on iplaywinner.com! (updates coming soon)

eidt: Oops its fixt thx!

Rose id prosbly gonna be decent becuase of her ultra.

Are you guessing or have you been playing the console lol

Console. And guessing really, really hard (to reflect fireballs, that is)

I sense sarcasm emitting thru that link so I guessed you played lol

Nah man, just truth. Even got my pic with some SF legends '=) Click the link. adding on to my first post.

cant relfect my tiger shots, im da best mayne i deed it

how similar?

i haven’t followed this thread or other rose threads, but i just played with her in alpha 3 for the first time today and she is REALLY fun to play as :slight_smile:

I’m wondering how similar to she plays to her alpha 3 incarnation?

Tell me her ultra snatches fireballs. If this is true, shamwow is the best ultra in the game, NOBODY MOVE!!!

Its a 3 hour drive to the nearest SF4 machine, so I’ve only played arcade a few times, but if what we’re seeing is right, it might just be that.

Roses ultra shuts EVERYTHING down… I think you basically have to bait it or you don’t dare attack her.

EX Air Throw does the same damage as normal air throw - just better, hard-to-hit-Rose-herself specs.

Ultra loses to Gief EX green hand :frowning: move is gay anyway.

she has slow fireballs but a fast dash :tup: of course you cant use this too much against fb spammers but its good to toss out from a distance and follow it to follow up with something. if they stand to block it you can trip and likewise if they try to focus through it the fireball counts the first hit and the next hit counts as the second which depending on what you do could be an ex save attack super or ultra. still workin on the timing of her instant overhead but that could work for somethin if they block low.

As long as she has good normals (not a problem from what I see), decent B&B, ultra is already gdlk, focus attack looks pretty good…I think we’re set. I heard her vitality is above the rest of the other ladies’, which is a huge bonus. SHe may be able to take on Sagat with her mobility! :bgrin: .

Wow, Glow Hand beats out her ultra. I guess I shouldn’t be all that suprised, I beat out a Cammy Ultra with it. How many Invincible frames does it have?

That is good to hear about her vitality. If I recall correctly, it seems like she had pretty poor vitality in Street Fighter Alpha 3.

From playing rose last night, these are a few things that I gathered from her:

Rose’s ultra (Shamwow) given is very good and can punish opponents in many situations:
Can punish fireballs (Ex versions as well), as soon as you see your opponent throw one you can just react with ultra and you punish them. The only condition this does not work is if you are not at the proper distance (if you are too far), you will eat the fireball instead.
Is an effectiive anti-air - Rufus Dive kick, Shoto’s hurricane kick, Abel’s overhead kick thingy (ex version as well), any kind of jump in attack (don’t do it too early otherwise you will get stuffed)
Can punish whiffed moves - if your opponent is playing footsies with you and you see for example Ryu whiffs a crouching mk, you can punish it by reaction as long as you are quick. Also a whiffed dragon punch, you can punish with Ultra.
As far as I know, there is no way to link her Ultra, I tried countless times.
Rose’s Ultra is PUNISHIABLE on block it just depends on the distance, it is not safe all the time.

Although Rose has some good bread and butter combos (i.e. c.lk. > c.lp > c.mp > Soul Drill), it seems that her distant games is very good. When I was playing I found myself turtling alot initially by throwing a lp soul fireball (approaching my opponent as well) and watching my opponents actions and reacting accordingly. For example I’ll throw a lp soul fireball, walk towards my opponents and poke with toward+FK (one of Rose’s best moves, anchor kick), Standing FP (Scarf whip move), and Standing HK. If my opponent decides to jump up, I’ll just soul throw.

In addition to this, her soul fireballs are actually pretty quick as far as how fast they come out and can play a decent fireball game against shotos.

Jump in Mk is Rose’s best jump in move because it crosses up in many situations.
Down + FP is a good anti air, not great but pretty good, I used this constantly against grapplers (abel, zangief)

Rose’s reflector is good imo, I personally don’t think its that hard to react to the fireballs, its just takes practice.

I experimented with dash canceling moves because Rose’s dash is ridiculously fast I found this to be very useful.
Jump in mk > c.mk > soul fireball > FADC >

1. Throw
  2. c.lk > c.lp > c.mp > soul drill.

Rose’s tick throw game is very good as well.
Rose’s Focus attack is really fast and effective, I saw myself using it constantly. As seen in the videos, if you do an Anti-air focus attack (opponent is spinning in the air) you can ultra and catch them.
Rose takes a fuck ton of damage, but you build ultra very quickly, some matches I was able to use ultra twice!

These strategies are very preliminary, I most definitely could be wrong on some of these. These are just my inital thoughts with Rose. IMO, I think Rose could possibly be upper mid tier. Definitely one of the better new characters.

i actually forgot about that combo into drill i just went from mp into drill :lol: helps my poke game some now. im liking how fast she is it works great with how slow her fireball travels and if you can follow it fast enough you can actually crossup for a semi like dhalsim trap into a her drill. im gonna work with that tonight again :lovin: also her regular throw sets up nicely for crossups and i noticed in the corner you can actually crossup people even though their backs may be on the wall, weird but helpful.