Rolento Match up Thread

Q: Blanka hop
A: Jab

Q: Blanka balls
A: U2, Slide, s.HP, s.HK

Q: T.Hawk pressure
A: Jump, Backdash, Jab

Also, keep in mind. People who are familiar with the Rolento match-up will notice your Stinger jumps, so they will time their jump to go around the HK Stinger angle, but LK angle catches a LOT of people who think they are being sneaky by either trying to dash under or jump around the stinger (they’ll dash into the stinger or jump on top of the dagger).

i think dive kick characters have been the hardest so far.
Here is a video of me fighting a rolento player.
I myself have been using rolento since the pc release.
Make sure to subscribe !

I noticed something interesting from playing this rolento player.

at 1:41 the rolento player is able to double jump and use neutral jump light punch to stuff my dive kick.
Also another note is please do not try to focus against yun near the corner. It is a terrible idea.

Anything on Rolento vs Boxer? I have so much trouble against him with Rolento

Another character change match-up. Balrog’s jab, dash punches, armored moves all pretty much wreck Rolento.

how about cr.mp against balrogs armor moves?

Ill explore the Balrog matchup some more, but right now, it looks like shit.

as for that Yun/Rolo video, j.LP is one of the best air to air normals in the game right now, so it should come as no surprise.

Any advice on the Gouken matchup? I’m not sure what my general strategy is supposed to be. Going ham on offense as usual just got me demolished by parry and EX tatsu. Gouken’s st.hp actually beats most of rolentos buttons if thrown around the same time. Medium palm strike actually beats PPP Roll cleanly in most cases. My friend pushed me to the corner and then it just became absolutely hopeless unless you could sneak out with EX wall jump. We talked about it a bit and the conclusion was that maybe Rolento is supposed to hang back, avoid fireballs and build meter for U2 fireball deterrent early without being too aggressive. Thoughts?

The one matchup I can’t seem to win is against Rose. One of my friends plays an above-average Rose, and it really doesn’t seem like Rolento has any options in this match. She can throw out projectiles all day, and just Soul Spiral if I try to jump or roll in. Against most characters I can feint a roll to bait out a DP or some other move and punish, but I can’t seem to find anything that punishes a whiffed or blocked Soul Spiral. Also, I can’t use LP roll to get in because her Soul Spiral will still connect even from full screen, and it has priority. She out-pokes Rolento, so even in the footsie game I seem outclassed. The only option I’ve really yet to have a chance to explore is how to pressure her after a knockdown, but even that seems hopeless. I tried a pogo-setup, but her walk-speed is so fast that all she had to do was walk backward on setup, and my pogo didn’t go far enough to reach her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You can actually check out my matches at https://www.youtube.com/user/scrubfighter. I’m still new to Street Fighter, so there are a lot of input errors and missed opportunities, but hopefully you can see what I’m talking about.

In a couple of weeks, I’ll be able to provide a lot of content for you guys to review when it comes to matches and will test shit out.

I’m just not motivated until I get moved into my new place.

Edit: But just a heads up, I play a couple of Rose players that are also above average in my area, and it’s just a combination of tactics + timing to ruin a Rose player’s day.

What can you guys said about Rolento vs Blanka? Rolento can’t really do anything when Blanka is using Electric Thunder without getting hit by it, except for using the messed up cr. mk or when using his roll in close range when Blanka is using ET

Yun is considered impossible? I beat a pretty strong Yun player 5-0 a couple of hours ago. Maybe he was less strong than I estimated, but he seemed quite high level to me; used option selects and stuff.

Set up i use against dictator and honda.
Back throw, dash dash, neutral jump, when you are on your way down from the jump either press mp or pogo.
Pogo beats ex psycho crusher and mp beats ex headbutt clean on reversal timing.

Hello! How do you guys feel about Juri vs Rolento?

Just roll under her fireballs for instawin.

Hey Hornet! I just posted one of your vids vs a Juri! Personally I feel that in the match-up:

• Her Fireball Game you treat like anyone else’s. Her fireballs cover a decent range just don’t fall in to traps (Jump Bait, Focus Abuse, etc.)
  • Your normals have good reach too. Don’t be afraid to get into a footsie war with her
  • Her pinwheels are unsafe so please slap the crap out of her for doing them
  • Aerial Juri doesn’t do as much dive kick with jump back being taken away but some of then will try instant-air. These are all also unsafe so punish accordingly (Very tight on some though for timing)

cool! Ah ok Im gonna go to the lab against her tonight. I’ll post any new findings!

Yes, even instant MK/HK dives are punishable by throw (all are if not done instantly). Instant LK dive is the only unpunishable divekick she has, so just try to watch out for those. Her death buttons against Rolento are st.hk and cr.mk, since they are very hard to deal with in conjunction with her fireballs. st.hk is -5 on block though, so if you’re feeling confident you can attempt to punish a poorly spaced one with cr.mk xx PC for some solid damage. cr.mk is really good at mid-range but luckily can be counterpoked with Rolento’s own cr.mk (I usually buffer it into MP PC just outside of her cr.lp range).

IMO Rolento’s ideal range is around max range cr.mk, since he can attempt to punish blocked far hk, counterpoke cr.mk, and punish the recovery on her Fuhajin stores if you can react quick enough. Also, be content to sit back and throw them knives if the Juri player wants to sit back and store fireballs the whole round. Juri has some really good anti airs, so jumping in is rarely a good option, unless you have a good read on the player (mixing it up between j.hp and j.hk can make it harder for her to time the anti air though). Early j.lp/j.mp will beat her j.mp if you see she starts to rely on that to anti air you, so keep that in mind.

Her LK pinwheel is virtually unpunishable by Rolento if spaced anywhere but close range, so that is something you are unfortunately going to have to deal with. Remember that without meter she is EXTREMELY free to Rolento’s pressure, so abuse the hell out of that since this is where most of your damage will be coming from. She can’t really deal with blockstrings into Stinger very well, so use that to your advantage and mix it up with kara throw, IA Stinger, empty roll, mk overhead, and EX overhead for some really good damage.

Also, this is one of the few matches where I would choose U1 over U2, since the only thing U2 is useful for in this matchup is the high damage and punishing MK/HK/EX pinwheels.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Thoughts on the Makoto Matchup?
Axekick beats PPP and she recovers in time to beat ex walljump. her up-punch negates anything Pogo-related for beefy damage. Her s.MP is just OD in general to deal with. Plus s.MP doesn’t AA her worth shit coz she fat and all…

Makoto is a difficult match-up. While she doesn’t have constant, grinding pressure she has very pace oriented pressure with normals that stick out for forever. In my opinion these can be key elements to assist in the match-up:

• LP and cr.LP are going to be hero pokes. Yes, she can reach you but you CAN reach back. Not to mention, take advantage of the fact that she is forced to dash in if you stay at slightly out of mid-range. If you can keep her at a mid-range distance with your own pokes you can keep her here in this range.
  • At Long Range, Stinger is a great option for ‘zoning’. Be wary building meter with it if she has meter just for the ground coverage on EX Hayate. For the very aggressive Makotos (the ones who love their dash), cr.MK and cr.LP are still key footsies to go into combos or s.HP and s.HK for just hitting her in the face. Use Stinger for meter building and for keeping her at bay. You ARE at frame advantage should she block. Make her be reckless and kick her in the teeth for it.
  • Hayate at EVERY non-charged variation is negative on block. LP and MP are both -7 with HP being -6 and EX being -4. Slap her when she does this.
  • Instant Air Tsurugi (Axe Kick) can be up -3 on block. It is an 11f startup so if they like to do it you do have anti-air options for their abuse (MP, cl.HP.) Watch what they do, punish accordingly.
  • Makoto’s goal is to capitalize on your fear of Karakusa while getting in as close as possible by knocking you down through whiff punishes. Knowing your ranges is crucial here. Fukiage (Up Punch) is a 6f startup at fastest so be on point with your pogo and Trick Rod attacks. Yes you’re airborne but you can beat her out most of the time from her doing this. She has zero invincibility with no meter so use your frame traps and mixups to your advantage when she has little to no butter.

Keep in mind, this is my two cents so if someone with a more proficient Rolento would like to comment maybe that will help.

Thanks bro this is spot on. I felt like U1 was preferred in this match up also.