Rising Thunder - FIGHTING ROBOTS

PC Gamer article: http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-thunder-a-pc-only-fighting-game-from-experts-in-the-genre/

Game looks cool, both aesthetically and mechanically. Wonder how many asymmetric mechanics like the invisibility thing they’re going to put into the game to really take advantage of the fact that it’s so netplay orientated.

God, this fucking article. Fighting games are the way they are because people broke down an originally casual game into a science and discovered all the glitchy technical things about it to give them a competitive edge. Casual players can’t compete with pros because of their mindset, not because of the difficulty of the inputs. I fucking suck at games, but when I saw Blazblue played competitively for the first time (thank you Mike Z and Dacidbro), it made me want to be a part of that. So I sat and learned the shit with a shitty Xbox dpad/analog stick and then moved on to learning everything again with an arcade stick. I could give an Xbox controller to an octogenarian and it would take them just as long to learn how to use it intuitively to play a shooter as it would take your average casual player to learn SF inputs. This article makes it sound like we’re fucking rocket scientists.

The reason the “complexities of competitive play” are inaccessible is because the level of actual work and practice and mindset required to play on that level exceeds the attention span that the modern day “average gamer” has. If the inputs were what was holding people back, then we would have hundreds of thousands of pro-level smash players, but look how many people complain about H.Box’s play or whine about no items or wave dashing or other tech people developed. If easy inputs are what people want, then why haven’t games like Blazblue or P4AU taken off because of their auto combo systems? Why do people still complain about MKX even after shit has been simplified 2x over. I remember how long Deception fatalities were.

The only way to make competitive play accessible for the average player is to remove any complexity from the game. I see that it seems like specials have a timer on them to prevent “spam”. Good luck on finding a serious competitive scene for this game.

Bitching aside, the gameplay looks super bland right now. I understand that it’s in alpha, but it’s visually and mechanically unimpressive. Then again, my new baby is Yatagarasu, so take what you will from my taste in games. I worry what the single button press moves will lend to how the moves function. Will there be single press SPDs? The easier the moves, the more mashing shit people will have to complain about.

I do have a certain affection for the Russian stereotype robot named Vlad though.

Game does look fun tho. From what the videos show. I am very interested in seeing more. I signed up for Alpha just in case I get a new PC or something.

so in other words this game isn’t for you.

I’m curious, how would charge characters be handled ? Something like holding a button right?

No charge characters I guess.
Button layout:
A B C
S1S2S3

The 3 lower ones are dedicated to the 3 special moves you can select before the match.

tl;dr Evo scrubs are frustrating me and selling this game on casual accessibility feels like when gaming journalists tried to sell From Soft Games based on “OMG HARDEST GAME EVAR” rather than actual merit.

After seeing more of it, it doesn’t look awful. I feel Killian on the idea of trying to make the fundamentals of a fighter more central rather than a game like Skullgirls where most of your work is done in training mode. My point is that if experienced FG players pick it up seriously, the casuals are still going to get bodied, so this idea that execution is what is holding them back is not the whole story.

At the very least, when casuals get bodied in this game, they won’t be able to use hard controls as an excuse and will have to suck up the fact that they just got outplayed.

In the Polygon video you can clearly see Chel doing several different version of the fireball. Each with different size and cooldown, and all with the same button. Either it’s button+direction, or charge->release. The small fireball has no cooldown and can be spammed like classic Street Fighter.

Nope. Just beg devs for nerfs, and cooldowns on normals too so people don’t “spam” them, or maybe you need to press every button at least once before you can press them again so you can show your skill with all the moves. Maybe if they hit a certain health deficit your buttons are locked so they can get a few hits in so new players can have a chance. No block button either apparently so that means that players have to block both high, low, and also block cross ups? A human brain can only think 50/50! They should just make a block button that blocks everything. And NO CHIP DAMAGE!

Youre overreacting li. It’d be pretty ironic to create a game with accessibility in mind and include a mechanic that removes that.

If there’s wont thing I want out of this game is to at least make some interesting move sets (or adaptions to)revolving around the idea of single button press. Like maybe a character who can do rekkas in a order they want or a charge character that requires holding down a button for a charge. That’s really, all I want.

Seth is probably the last guy who’d nerf stuff willy nilly.

I mean, he’s the guy who wrote this: On Cheapness

Looks and sounds like an awesome game. Im curious about the input for throws and supers.

I get you hyenaboy. I am also tired of this myth about SF being crazy complicated. As some who plasys both smash and SF, I also agree that its definitely not quarter circles that keeps people from learning more about FG’s.

Any way, Ill give it shot because the cast is interesting but… in the gamespot interview they seem pretty adamant about not having offline multiplayer. I can’t imagine why and they didn’t explain. Seems silly to me.

This game sounds really interesting. Especially mechicly. Being to customize move layouts is also much cooler then I expected. I really hope I get into the alpha.

I’d guess supers would be all three specials pressed at once. Maybe throws all normals?

Edit: no local multiplayer. That’s kind of weird But it does explain why you only see cooldown meters for only one player in the videos. I wonder if knowing your opponents cool downs is too much information. But you would think that information could be learned through experience.

According to Gamespot supers are mapped to a single button, Tom Cannon mentioned he had it mapped to Spacebar.

And yeah Online only sounds shitty. I won’t ever be able to play with my wife :confused:

If cooldowns is TMI why not hide the opponents life and super bars while you’re at it?

It’s online only because the way some of the moves are designed won’t work in a situation where players are sharing a screen - for example, I believe one of the articles mentioning something about a move that makes you invisible, only on your opponents screen.