RIP Harold Ramis 1945-2014

(sigh) There goes part of my childhood.

Why does ugliness have to come out when someone talented dies?

Your statement would have been okay with me if the ugliness in you hadn’t come out so loud and strongly there!
What the hell is your problem?

This was a talented man who passed away… He brought joy to many, many people!
As far as I know, he never screwed anybody over and was genuinely nice to most people that he met in life!
What the hell difference does his ethnicity/religion make to you??!?!?!?!?

You be missed Harold Ramis.

Agreed,

@crucades
there is a lot of Jews in the entertainment industry
this are just the names I could think up on the spot.

Steven Spielberg
Mel Brooks
Kate Hudson
Woody Allen
Jack Black
Sammy Davis, Jr.
Jeff Goldblum
Marx Brothers
Don Rickles
Lisa Kudrow
Scarlett Johansson
Jason Alexander
Seth Green
Mila Kunis

You might want to rethink your previous statement about "one of the few decent jews out there "

Yea you guys missed the part where I said he was one of the few decent ones jeesh!

Speilberg raped Indiana, Mel Brooks is awesome, the rest honestly who could give a damn about, save Sammy Davis? Quick fellas your high horse has bolted from the stable. Fucking Seth Green gimme a break.

And your remarks can be taken as being Antisemitic.

Excellent read over at AICN talking about how this death seems to be reverberating a lot for our generation. We’re reaching that point in our lives where our childhood idols are gonna start dropping, and fucking Egon was the first to go :frowning:

So? It’s the Internet.

@SoVi3t:

Tons of people I knew from childhood and my teen years are already dead.
These includes icons from entertainment, politics, history – you name it.

It’s just part of life. Eventually someone you like, know, or respect is going to die.
It’s a bit easier when someone passes away who’s in their 80’s and 90’s and had a good run.
It’s sad when it’s someone in their 40’s or younger. That just seems to young an age to die but there have been plenty who have passed away who didn’t die from drug overdoses (too many musicians and comedians for me to count) or accidents (Paul Walker for one).

There have been any number of voice actors, directors, and producers in the Japanese animation industry who passed away far too young. A few were suicides as in the case of the original performer of Hikaru Ichijo, the main hero of the original Macross TV series. Others were stricken by cancer rather abruptly and died before age 50; this is what happened to Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Paranoia Agent TV series, Paprika), one of the best anime feature directors in recent years whose last name wasn’t Miyazaki!

Nobody missed it. We saw it just fine. The problem here is that kind of tone destroys the message you hoped to convey. The underlying implication, whether you meant it or not, is “he did excellent work despite being a (noun/adjective here).” Nobody wants to hear that sort of thing when they’re upset over the loss of someone whose talent entertained them and made them happier. It’s an inherently mean and divisive thing to say, at a time where people are unhappy. Sure, most of us in this thread never met Mr. Ramis; he nonetheless touched us with work like Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, and so on. To varying degrees, he meant something to those posting here.

This thread is meant to celebrate and remember his works, not bring up divisive judgements on someone’s religion or ethnicity. Those kind of remarks will always stir up bad sentiment, even if (or perhaps especially) if you couch it in “I was saying he was one of the few good (noun)” language. It insults everyone in that group, and then insults the person you were trying to praise because it seems like you’re saying they overcame being something inherently negative and were good despite that stigma.

It’s not nice. It doesn’t honor his memory. It hurts at a time when that’s one of the worst possible things to say. Please let people have this thread they’ve dedicated to a performer/writer whose work they enjoyed. Hopefully you can understand why the things you’ve posted are wrong, and can reconsider them.

@Red Rick Dias

He knows what he said… he knows what he said.

He’s going to deny it but he said it nonetheless. The unreasoning hate there is unmistakeable.

The follow-up by Wasted was as clueless and crass as it gets. He’s the same as the other guy that ran with the ugliness in the first place.

I can guarantee you this – IF either of these guys expresses such open contempt for other people because of ethnicity, lifestyle, or religion in a place of work that has serious HR, they won’t last long in that employment… especially if that company is working for the federal government, a university or corporation that has international contacts.

“No Tolerance” for expressed bigotry in the workplace is a reality.
People have been fired from Facebook and Twitter for this kind of bigoted talk.
Unreasoning hate is a better term for it that cuts right to the point.

Back to Harold Ramis:
He’d been sick for the better part of the last five years of his life.
According to people who had seen him over the past few years, he was not in “a good way” and looked like he was on death’s door.
This is one of the biggest losses that North American comedy has experienced in quite a while. A bunch of people on the old SCTV TV series, the Second City comedy troupes in the US and Canada, and the original SNL and that era of comedy were connected to Ramis in many ways. They either worked with the guy at Second City and on his movies or were social and friendly with him. His friends are a who’s who of comedy of the past 40 years. Basically, these people started in the late 1960s and 1970s and came of age in the late 1970s and early 1980s. For better or worse, this has been the most influential group of people in mainstream entertainment comedy for a little over 30 years now.

Harold Ramis was definitely more intellectual about his comedy in general. As a performer – at least from what I saw in the movies --, he was not “funny-funny.” He was more a straight man to other guys playing goofier characters (Billy Murray or Dan Ackroyd, for instance). He would have been more like Dean Martin to Jerry Lewis but a somewhat geekier, more professorial straight man.
I’m not going to say his last movie or two were great — he had his share of duds, too — but on average he did pretty good for anybody in film over the past 30+ years. I’d say he did a LOT better than most people did over that period of time for comedy, period.
Outside of Airplane, I can’t think of many comedies that have stood the test of time like Animal House and Caddyshack. Most comedy dates horribly and just isn’t that funny that many years later; much of comedy is just too topical and based on current events. I’m not as huge a fan of the Ghostbusters movies or Stripes to be honest and still haven’t seen Groundhog Day. I did see Analyse This and liked that movie, too.

I’d like to “fail” as bad as that in whatever I get accomplished in life!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/8073/egonslimer.jpg

TL;DR, you reinforce my point that this is the Internet. I also know what I said.

While I do not agree with his statement, it is his to make. If people take offense to what he says, that is something you can neither help nor have a say in.

This is the Internet. Your self-imposed rules of what can and cannot be said about someone, do not apply (subject to SRK moderation policy of course).

I can’t agree with that. Some people act this way for lack of context. You’ll see people who are raised in racist environments and act racist as a result… then turn around when they’re exposed to other teachings and ways of life. Not everyone who behaves that way is lost, and simply writing them off as ‘this is the internet’ is… …well, the majority of the time it is apt. It is not always so, however; if being called on it can plant the seeds of doubt in someone’s mind and make them consider abandoning their hate in even one time in a thousand, I don’t see the harm in trying.

Of course, that risks wandering off topic here. To get back to the real purpose of the thread: For those with Netflix, there aren’t many Harold Ramis films to pick from on there. A cursory search turns up Baby Boom, The Ice Harvest, and Ghostbusters. It’s fair to say Ghostbusters is probably the most famous of those. I am unfortunately not familiar with the other two, but if you’re curious about his work then there is at least some variety of it on display on Netflix. Could someone recommend a better way to see his other works, and perhaps recommend a few titles in particular? Groundhog Day came up earlier, I believe. Stripes as well?

Best way to grieve is to laugh :slight_smile:

RIP

As somebody who turns heads for not having seen particular movies ingrained in popculture, I am shocked
…I just saw it again last week hahaa
rip

RIP. that ghostbusters drawing is so perfect for this. just wish i still could like that movie as an adult because as a kid i didn’t realize how much it sucked. well, at least he didn’t direct that. he did direct a bunch of hella funny movies though. if there ever was going to be a ghostbusters 3 and Ramis was going to direct and star in it, it would’ve been good.