Psycho Science: Fundamentals of Dictator and more! (Learn here)

Welcome fellow Psycho Scientists! As users of Dictator, and seeing a bunch of great posts from everybody, I?ve decided to collate a lot of data floating around and keep a log of all my personal findings. I will continue to edit this as I receive/read new information, hopefully we can take Dictator to the next level. :nunchuck:

Please note that this is very much a work in progress, if I get something wrong or you have any constructive criticism, please let me know. Thanks!

08/28/2009: Djb13 has made an advanced play video for Dictator, check it out: [media=youtube]qG7IuVfNxAs[/media]

**Also! Spoiler tags have been added so it’s easier to select and read what you want. Otherwise this guide looks like a Wall-O-Text. Thank you for your cooperation :slight_smile: **

Updates:

Show Updates

Spoiler

-Revision 8/18/2009 (Almost 5 months later!)
Revamping the matchup area and added information all around. Added spoiler tags so people can read what the want to read. I strive for user-friendliness :slight_smile:

• Revision 3/23/2009
    Added more Matchup information and Guaranteed Ultra Situations (Will also need to refine because if we can find ways to land FA2 we can also land Ultra)

• Revision 3/20/2009
    Added new descriptions for notable normals, also added basic info section for Dictator for new players

• Proof Reading 3/19/2009
    Read everything over again, made additions/subtractions as necessary. I always felt that Ultra had very little invincibility, but apparently others say it has enough. I’ve revised the description. I’ve also added my personal comments on Dictator in SF4

• Initial Release 3/19/2009
    I?ve been working on this for a couple of weeks now (combined with procrastination) but I decided to post it up and hopefully get some feedback. I need to clean up the combo section (it?s still a mess to me), I?ll find a way to organize it somehow.
    Matchup Data will come later, right now my notes are a serious mess.

Notable Changes from Previous Street Fighters:

Show Changes

Spoiler

Okay, on with Dictator! As a Super Turbo/HD Remix player, most of my comparisons are with the ST version of Dictator.

-No more Instant Overhead jump mk (ST), I?ve done testing with all air moves on a crouching Ryu and couldn?t find anything. I even tried on taller/larger characters like Zangief and Sagat with no luck.

-No longer High Damage/High Stun/High Risk & Reward character that he was in ST. Touch of Death (ToD) combos are unlikely and Dizzy setups will need to be elaborate/rely on opponent making numerous mistakes, rather than getting 1 clean cross up (like in ST)

-Headstomp properties are different from ST. ST would track the opponent for the most part, but in SF4, if your opponent walks backwards, your stomp will whiff right in front of the opponent. Same goes with EX.

-After hitting the headstomp, you get an opportunity to do the Skull Diver, but it is impossible to face both directions, you can only face the direction that you hit the headstomp . So basically, there is little to no mixup, because you can?t zig-zag above your opponent anymore.

My Personal Comments and Criticisms on Dictator:

Show Comments

Spoiler

Dictator appealed to me ever since getting my ass handed to me time and time again by Giga-MSX in ST. His rushdown and mentally calculating the other opponents stun meter for the win was not only very flashy, but also incredibly scary. Never before has anyone ever made me feel completely helpless in any SF (and I?ve played in Japan Game Centers often during the CvS1 & 2 days)

Soon after, I picked up Dictator in ST, learned the combos and saw his advantages/disadvantages first-hand.

As I listed above in the previous section, basically he really is a different character in Street Fighter 4.

After reading many posts and playing a bunch of matches I believe Dictator is primarily a hit-and-run character, with solid normals, decent specials/EX but low comeback ability. After playing with Dictator all this time, I?ve come to the conclusion that his objective should be having the opponent in the corner. Obviously this doesn?t apply to ALL matchups, but the kind of mix up and damage I can do when they are in the corner is undeniable. Lock them down, knock them down, and force them to play your game. I?ve made huge comebacks just by making one well placed throw and locking them down in the corner.

Also, damage in SF4 is nothing like in ST, and loads of players can get away with making a lot of mistakes. Many times I?ve played a great game, totally outplaying a Ryu or Sagat player, only to poke or special once at the wrong time and get uppercutted -> Focus Attack Dash Cancel -> 100% Ultra

All the damage, spacing, mindgames I did up until that point have been wasted and they?ve made a huge comeback. Sometimes I can still pull it together and win the match, sometimes I can?t, but feel like the risk/reward ratio is very much different among all the characters.

I really think Dictator has a fair risk/reward ratio, but that doesn?t mean other characters do. At higher levels, expect to work harder for your wins and to really be mentally above your opponent. I believe the future for Dictator players is to pioneer new ways of using his Focus Attack in order to land Ultra. Dictator doesn?t really have a way to force an opponent to jump and j. mp becomes an unused tool at higher levels, simply because there is little to no opportunity.

He also has some bad matchups, particularly against Guile, who you can?t EX Scissor his projectile (fast recovery) and his air throw beats both Headstomp and Devil Reverse. Guile can actually play his zoning game properly(!), and beat you.

Basics:

Show Basics

Spoiler

POKES

Standing HK - Easily one of Bison’s best normals. It has good range, comes out quick, and deals great damage (120). Due to it’s angle, it will whiff crouching opponents if you are too far away.

Standing MK - This kick has great range and does decent damage (70). This kick has greater range than the Standing HK and will not whiff at a certain range since it is parallel to the ground (unless you are to far away anyways).

Scissor Kick (LK) - When spaced correctly, this move becomes a great poking tool. This move is also safe on block, so use that to your advantage!

Crouching MP - Decent range and damage make this… a decent poke. As a pure poke, there are better options than the Crouching MP, but the advantage it has is that you can chain a special with it, such as a SK or PC.

CROSSUPS

Jumping MK - By far the most reliable crossup in Bison’s arsenal. It has a large, lenient hitbox.

Jumping HK - A bit more difficult to crossup with than the Jumping MK. It requires correct spacing to crossup properly. If spaced incorrectly, you will either land in front of your opponent or whiff altogether.

Jumping HP - This is the most difficult of Bison’s crossups, and is easiest to perform when you have your opponent cornered.

ANTI-AIR

Note: Bison does not have true AA move, such as a SRK. Due to this, some people will find it “easy” to jump-in on him. Although he does not have a dedicated AA move, he has certain moves that will get him out of harms way.

Standing Hk - Decent AA, but will trade quite a bit.

Crouching HP - Also a decent AA, but is more difficult to land due to it’s startup. Correct timing is crucial! If you time it wrong, you will be wide open for a combo.

EX Psycho Crusher - If timed correctly, the invincibility frames allow the EX PC to be used as an AA. If timed incorrectly, you may be hit out of the PC or hit even before the PC begins.

EX Scissor Kick - Similar to the EX Psycho Crusher, this move must be timed correctly. However, it will not cross through the opponent like the PC, and if blocked you will most likely be punished.

Jumping Forward MP - If you predict a jump towards you, you can use Jumping MP x 2 to set up an Ultra.

Jumping Back HK - Has a large frontal hitbox, overall probably better than HP for AA.

Neutral Jump MK/HK - If you predict a jump towards you, you can use these kicks to try and stuff your opponent. The Jumping MK has a greater range since Bison kicks straight out, as opposed to the HK, where his kick is at a downward Angle.

BUILDING METER

**Devil Reverse, LP Followup ** - This is the fastest version to repeat for meter. Tthat said, building Super Meter is difficult in SF4 without attacking. Just remember, if you are doing this move, you?re giving up positioning, which is crucial for Dictator. Be careful not to get caught with an attack on the way down.

REVERSALS

All EX Moves - Generally EX Devil Reverse and EX Psycho Crush

Standing HK - Easily one of Bison’s best normals. It has good range, comes out quick, and deals great damage (120). Due to it’s angle, it will whiff crouching opponents if you are too far away.

Standing MK - This kick has great range and does decent damage (70). This kick has greater range than the Standing HK and will not whiff at a certain range since it is parallel to the ground (unless you are to far away anyways).

Scissor Kick (LK) - When spaced correctly, this move becomes a great poking tool. This move is also safe on block, so use that to your advantage!

Crouching MP - Decent range and damage make this… a decent poke. As a pure poke, there are better options than the Crouching MP, but the advantage it has is that you can chain a special with it, such as a SK or PC.

CROSSUPS

Jumping MK - By far the most reliable crossup in Bison’s arsenal. It has a large, lenient hitbox.

Jumping HK - A bit more difficult to crossup with than the Jumping MK. It requires correct spacing to crossup properly. If spaced incorrectly, you will either land in front of your opponent or whiff altogether.

Jumping HP - This is the most difficult of Bison’s crossups, and is easiest to perform when you have your opponent cornered.

ANTI-AIR

Note: Bison does not have true AA move, such as a SRK. Due to this, some people will find it “easy” to jump-in on him. Although he does not have a dedicated AA move, he has certain moves that will get him out of harms way.

Standing Hk - Decent AA, but will trade quite a bit.

Crouching HP - Also a decent AA, but is more difficult to land due to it’s startup. Correct timing is crucial! If you time it wrong, you will be wide open for a combo.

EX Psycho Crusher - If timed correctly, the invincibility frames allow the EX PC to be used as an AA. If timed incorrectly, you may be hit out of the PC or hit even before the PC begins.

EX Scissor Kick - Similar to the EX Psycho Crusher, this move must be timed correctly. However, it will not cross through the opponent like the PC, and if blocked you will most likely be punished.

Jumping Forward MP - If you predict a jump towards you, you can use Jumping MP x 2 to set up an Ultra.

Jumping Back HK - Has a large frontal hitbox, overall probably better than HP for AA.

Neutral Jump MK/HK - If you predict a jump towards you, you can use these kicks to try and stuff your opponent. The Jumping MK has a greater range since Bison kicks straight out, as opposed to the HK, where his kick is at a downward Angle.

BUILDING METER

**Devil Reverse, LP Followup ** - This is the fastest version to repeat for meter. Tthat said, building Super Meter is difficult in SF4 without attacking. Just remember, if you are doing this move, you?re giving up positioning, which is crucial for Dictator. Be careful not to get caught with an attack on the way down.

REVERSALS

All EX Moves - Generally EX Devil Reverse and EX Psycho Crusher are the tools to use to escape.

Super (Knee Press Nightmare) - Not recommended to use on wake up.

Ultra (Nightmare Booster) - Not recommended to use on wake up.er are the tools to use to escape.

Super (Knee Press Nightmare) - Not recommended to use on wake up.

Ultra (Nightmare Booster) - Not recommended to use on wake up.

Notable Normals and Focus Attack:

Show Normals and FA

Spoiler

As with all characters, getting used to their normals is very important. If you?re new to Dictator, go into training mode and get used to the normal ranges. To train footsies, sometimes I practice with friends by using no specials/supers. It?s surprising how much the game changes and how much quicker you can get used to any new character by doing this.

St. Mk ? Dic?s best forward reaching poke. Learn the range well but don?t get too abusive with it, as 1 psychic dragon punch into Ultra can turn the match around. If you?re going to be playing footsies, mix this, St. hk (catching jumpers/higher damage) and St. lk (for faking).

St. Hk ? As others have said before, this is probably the best roundhouse kick, second only to Sagat?s 5-frame 2-hit Hk. Can catch opponents jumping and be used as Anti-air. Can also be used against crouching opponents and has a longer range than cr. Mk. This is your primary normal damage dealing tool. Use as anti-air at certain ranges, and it?s good to use after a Lk Scissors. Even if you trade, you generally trade in your favor, especially if they stick out a Lp or Lk.

Cr. Mp ? longest range crouching poke asides from Dic?s slide, literally has equal horizontal range with Cr. Hp. Arguably should be used more in combos when possible as it deals slightly more damage than using Cr. Mk. Has better frame advantage than Cr. Mk on hit or block but has worse startup. Many Dictator players use Cr. Mp then St. Hk afterwards as it can catch jumpers and still hit them if they are blocking on the ground.

Cr. Mk ? Used mostly in BnB combos, decent range, can cancel into anything. No where near as dominant as it once was in ST, hitbox or active frame wise. Can be used as a meaty, but only has a 4-frame active window. I wouldn?t recommend doing a meaty as reversals/wake-up anything is very easy to do in this game (SF4: No Meaties)

Cr. Hp ? Can be used as Anti-Air, I?ve traded a lot with it, so I?m not so confident with using it all the time. I?ve been told it beats Sagat?s jumping mp though, so it?s probably good against certain jump in attacks. Also, I have found a small gimmick, if you hit with it as AA high enough, you can FADC forward and under him while he?s recovering and go for a mixup. Not sure if it?s worth 2 EX bars, but it?s an option.

Cr. Hk ? Very longe range, it is a great punishment baiter if used properly. Going for a meaty slide (make sure the slide hits at the very end, to gain as much frame advantage as possible), then going for EX Headstomp is a fairly good way to bait and punish a throw attempt by your opponent. If you?re feeling really daring, you can meaty slide and try to Ultra/Super/EX their reversal attempt. Great tool for footsies, if you see someone moving back and forth, you can throw this out (at the right spacing) and really surprise some people. It?s a great tool, use it well, I?ve had this move win many down-to-the-wire fights for me.

Ju. forward Mp ? Good anti-air, hits twice. If you only hit with 1 hit, it?s possible to mix up with St. Hp or St. Hk, then you can mix up from there. If you hit with both hits, you can end it with an EX PC or SK. Keep in mind though, if you land 1 hit of j. mp then land and do a St. Hk (do not use St. Hp, it will actually miss sometimes), it deals more damage than doing both hits of j. mp and connecting with a EX PC or SK.

This is also the only move that Dictator players can use that reliably lands the Ultra. You can technically land most of the Super off of this if you like as well.

Unfortunately this move reliably LOSES to Ryu?s j. mp (the 2 hit uppercut), Chun Li?s j. hp x2 (the hp she can do twice in the air), and some others (like Rufus Snake Strike etc). Be careful, as it can be beat, but when you think they?re going to jump, go for the j. mp Ultra setup.

Ju. forward Hp ? Highest damage air normal that he has, good as a combo starter. Some say it can be used as Air to Air, and although it?s not too bad, to win completely, you really need to be above your opponent when performing it. Other than that, expect to trade with it.

Ju. forward Hk - Longest horizontal range forward jumping attack that he has. Use in combos or to punish fireballers, even if you hit their hands, it’s still worth it. You may not be able to combo off of it at that range, but maximizing damage is always good. If you stick this out at the right time, it can actually beat stuff like Dhalsim?s jumping hard punch. Can also be used to cross up for good damage.

Ju. neutral Mk - Good Air to Air attack, also has long horizontal range. I haven’t done testing priority wise, but I’ve had decent success with it.

Specials and EX:

Show Specials and EX

Spoiler

Psycho Crusher (PC) ? Only hits twice on block, not as safe on block as it once was. In ST usually you?d be quite far away (depending on where you were on the stage), but even using Hp PC, it?s really not that far and can be punished quite easily. Realistically this move can?t be used to pressure opponents as the recovery is garbage. Primarily used as a runaway tool now, especially the EX version. EX version is more safe, but only because it goes faster and farther. The only time I?ve seen it used as a pressure/rushdown tool was in a Kuma video where he EX PC from full screen against Blanka, had the 2 hits hit at the very end of the PC and he continued cr. lk from there. Other than that, use this to blow through people who like to focus attack, and can be used to beat stuff like Guile?s crouching hard kick (in between the 2 hits, you can EX PC and hit them for free)

Scissor Kick (SK) ? AKA Double Knee Press, this is the pressure move of choice, especially the lk version which produces 0 frames on block which means you recover the same time your opponent does. Mk and Hk SK are not safe on block, but it may also depend on the range at which it hits. Always use the strongest version you can in combos. EX version can blow through fireballs, until he actually begins the kick part of the Scissors kick, which is when he is vulnerable again. In my opinion this is Dictator?s version of Psychic Dragon Punch against fireball characters. Don?t let fireballers pressure you especially when you have 1 EX bar. You can score a knockdown and turn on the ground/mixup game immediately. This is a big momentum changer, but a lot of Shoto characters have caught on and it?s been harder to get people with this. Be very familiar with the invincibility period and the range of this move. I still catch people with this quite a lot.

Headstomp (HS)? Does not track backwards moving opponents. Great for applying pressure on fireball characters, as you can mixup HS with Devil Reverse. After hitting with headstomp you have the opportunity to hit with Skull Diver. I wouldn?t recommend it as the hit box is small, the move is slow (you can?t perform it late in the fall, it won?t even come out), but if you want to press the advantage, you can go for it. EX Headstomp as Anti Air is great. Priority is undeniable and heavy chip damage. Do not do EX HS as cross up AA, it will whiff completely. I?ve also had bad luck with people dashing forwards or backwards when I HS, as it would also miss. Overall, this is a great tool to use if you have your opponent in the corner, lock them down with Lk scissor kicks, and if you think they will jump, do EX headstomp and put them right back down. Dictator really shines when the opponent is in the corner, don?t let them out!

Devil Reverse (DR)? Mix up with HS/EX HS and can you get fireball characters to be more cautious about projectile throwing. Also good for building meter and running away. EX Devil Reverse on the way up is invincible, you can then press 2 punches and get the EX version of the hand on the way down. From what I?ve tested the EX version of the hand isn?t that great and will trade with lots of AA. Also good for whiffing completely and going for a throw. If they wise up to it or try to counter by doing moves as soon as you land, you can try doing EX SK or Ultra after whiffing (high risk). Generally this should be used as a way to escape, either this or EX PC. Just be wary of people who can punish the EX DR, even if you decide to run away (Like Abel. Abel can actually Ultra you on your way down from the DR, other characters with far reaching Ultras can actually get you as well. Do not abuse!)

Also, which punch you choose to use during the DR also affects the flip that Dictator will do. Lp will do a fast flip, revealing the hand quickly. Hp on the other hand will do a much higher flip and the hand will come out slower, but is good for avoiding Anti-air because he goes so high. It?s also possible to move farther away with the Hp hand because he goes much higher.

Teleport ? This move can also get you out of tight situations, but is completely dependent on where both characters are:

3P Forwards: Behind your opponent
3P Backwards: Goes back about half screen
3K Forwards: Right in front of your opponent
3K Backwards: Goes back almost full screen (more than 3P backwards)

You can teleport out of crossups or jump-ins but you have to know where you are relative to where the opponent is. Have a friend or Record Ryu crossing Dictator up in the corner. Depending on where Ryu is during the jump, will affect his teleport. If you can manage to get a teleport off right as Ryu crosses you up, you need to remember that the teleport controls will be reversed as well.

To explain it more simply, put yourself in the corner and have Ryu begin to cross you up, then perform a Teleport forwards (the direction which Dic is facing) with 3K and you?ll watch yourself jump across full screen. Basically you need to think of it as the teleport command being relative NOT to what direction Dictator is facing, but where the opponent is at the time.

Super/Ultra:

Show Super and Ultra

[details=Spoiler]
Super ? Can be performed with any one of the 3K, but which kick will determine which type of SK he will do during the super. If you want fast startup, go for the Lk version. Keep in mind that it has the shortest range though. I feel like I don?t really use this mainly because I use his EX moves much more often, but as others have stated, it?s really one of the most reliable ways Dic can deal solid damage when landing a combo. It might actually be worth trying to play Dictator without using EX bar and saving the Super for a combo opportunity (like what the Ryu Players are doing)

Ultra ? Long startup, invincibility only until the kick part actually begins (cannot be used to go through fireballs) and horrible recovery if blocked. Can be inputted incorrectly as a Teleport due to the way the game processes inputs. The way to prevent a teleport is to perform the Ultra as:

Charge back, then press forward, back, Up+Forward with 3K. This forces the game to recognize this input as an Ultra. Sometimes people unwittingly press Down+Forward so the game thinks it is a teleport, instead just go for the Up+Forward technique.

In my opinion this is one of the weaker areas of Dictator?s arsenal. I feel like if he could land this more often he?d be much better. In previous games, he could almost always make a comeback, but in this game, it?s much harder. As it stands it?s difficult to land this as you can land it only 2 ways, off a j. mp, or a FA2/FA3. Other than that, trying to land it by baiting opponents (Try Ultra after whiffing a DR), or as AA (which means you have to perform the Ultra quite early, generally at the peak of their jump, and hope you don?t get hit out of it, etc), is risky and unreliable especially at higher levels. [/details]

Combos:

cr = crouching
st = standing
cl = close (standing)
j = jump
xx = cancel
l = light – short/jab
m= medium – forward/strong
h = hard – roundhouse/fierce
p = punch
k = kick
PC = Psycho Crusher
SK = Scissor Kick
EX = EX version of Special move
FA = Focus Attack, number next to FA denotes what level FA is charged to (eg. FA2)

Damage is all normalized on Ryu in Training mode at Full life (X360 version)
Damage will be noted with all versions of the Special (light, medium and hard), Stun is the same regardless of which version special move you do. Sometimes damage values will be omitted because the HK version may not combo, please keep this in mind.

Many of these combos are from everyone in the Dictator forums. For the most part I just copied them, reformatted them and listed Damage/Stun and notes.

**Bread and Butter (BnB combos) ? Combos that you are likely to use often **

Show BnB Combos

Spoiler

cr. lp -> st. lp -> cr. mk xx SK
Damage: 186, 193, 207
Stun: 285

cr. lp x 2 -> cr. mk xx SK
Damage: 186, 193, 207
Stun: 285
These 2 combos are the Bread & Butter (BnB) combo, a staple of Dictator?s. Can start these combos with a jump-in attack for more damage/stun.

j. hp, cr. lp -> cl. lp -> cr. mk xx SK
Damage: 273, 279, 291
Stun: 450

Cross up j. hk -> cr. Lp -> st. lp -> cr. Mk xx SK
Damage: 263, 269, 281
Jump-ins with BnB combo

cr. lp -> st. lp -> st. lk -> cr. mk xx SK
Damage: 193, 199, 211
Stun: 300
Variation of BnB, you basically need to be right next to the opponent when you perform this combo. I?m not sure how practical it is compared to the BnB combo because of the specific range requirement, but it is probably the most damage you can do from a crouching position without EX/Super.

cr. lp -> st. lp -> st. lk -> cr. mk xx EX PC
Damage: 217
Stun: 330
Same as above except with EX PC, more damage and stun. Worse positioning however. Generally, going for a Scissors is better as you get to retain your charge and push them closer to the corner

cr.lk x 3 xx SK
Damage: 126, 133
Stun: 245

cr.lk x 4 xx SK
Damage: 130, 136
Stun: 265
These 2 combos are the best you can do from a low attack without charge. Definitely WORK on getting the cr. lks into Scissors DOWN execution-wise. Be able to perform them consistently otherwise, it?s difficult to threaten with your low attacks. If you even land 1 cr. lk, you can deal some damage, build some meter and get a knockdown! Let the mix up begin!

Standard Punish Combos ? Combos that you are likely to use to punish

Show Punish Combos

Spoiler

cl. hp -> st. lk -> st. hk
Damage: 246
Stun: 410
Probably the best no charge combo that Dic has. Highest damage and stun without charge. Needs to be right in their face as far as I know, if you?re slightly off, it?ll probably miss. Somewhat difficult because of the links (timing), and range requirements. I?m not sure how practical it is, but I have a feeling is someone was to take the time to perform this 100%, their Dictator would genuinely be scary. The damage and stun are absolutely incredible.

j. hp -> cl. hp xx hk SK
Damage: 334
Stun: 520 (Over halfway to Dizzy on most characters)
Standard jump-in punish combo if you guess a fireball correctly. Is probably close to the best you can do with no Super/Ultra.

cr. mp -> cr. mk xx hk SK
If someone was to whiff something big (like a Hp Shoryuken, Ken Ultra, etc) and you don?t have time to land a jump-in attack, this is the combo to shoot for. You MUST make sure you have a charge for this combo, generally, that means patiently waiting for the Ryu player in a crouch position, until they come down.

In these kind of big punish situations, also look into if you can land a Level 2 Focus Attack into Ultra, or if you?re not confident with landing the cr. mp -> cr. mk combo, just go for a Focus Attack combo, or cl. hp xx hk SK

Anti-Air/J. Mp Combos ? Combos that you are likely to use after hitting a J. mp attack (AKA Hell Attack)

Show J. Mp Combos

Spoiler

j. mp -> land -> st. hk
Damage: 170
Stun: 250
Hitting the opponent in the air with 1 hit of j. mp and landing, you are able to follow up with an attack. Don?t go for st. hp, I?ve had it miss before. St. Hk?s hitbox is much larger, and more reliable.

j. mp x2 -> land -> EX PC or EX SK
Damage: 136
Stun: 180
EX PC is FAR easier to hit with, as your whole body is basically a hitbox. EX SK can also be substituted but I really prefer the reliability of EX PC.

j. mp x1 or x2 -> land -> Ultra
Damage: 458 (j. mp x2), 482 (j. mp x1)
Stun: 50 for each j. mp, Ultra does no stun
This is the combo to go for when you have Ultra. Unfortunately Dictator doesn?t have a command throw or something to force the opponent to jump, but if you face a player who like to jump or jumps predictably, landing this combo can really turn the tide.

One of the big complaints of Dictator is how he has a low comeback ability, and it?s mainly because this combo is difficult to land in high level matches as a good player won?t jump at your recklessly. That said, if you can get a read on an opponent and manage to get him with the j. mp, LAND THAT ULTRA. Please see my notes on the Ultra in the First post for information on how to NOT MISS the Ultra.

Every time Dictator lands j. mp x2 and teleports instead of Ultra, you?ve failed the Dictator community as a whole.

UNDER CONTRUCTION, NEED TO TEST SOME STUFF!!! 8/19/2009

For reference:

cr. lk xx SK
Damage: 120, 130, hk will not connect
Stun: 200

cr. mk xx SK
Damage: 170, 180, 200

cr. lp x 2 -> cr. lk xx SK
Damage: 146, 153, hk will not connect
Stun: 245

cr. mp xx EX SK
Damage: 220

cr. mk xx EX SK
Damage: 210
Cr. Mp version deals very slightly more damage than the Cr. Mk version, so I guess we should use it when we can (especially in combos). Cr. Mk still comes out faster though.

j.mk -> cr. lp x 2 -> cr. lk xx SK
Damage: 198, 204, no hk
Stun: 315

j.mk -> cr. lp x 2 -> cr. mk xx SK
Damage: 233, 239, 251
Stun: 350

c.mp x 2 xx SK
Damage: ? (I was unable to get this to combo)
Stun: ? (I was unable to get this to combo)

c.mp x 2 xx PC
Damage: ? (I was unable to get this to combo)
Stun: ? (I was unable to get this to combo)

Cross up hk -> st. lk -> st. lk -> st. hk
Damage: 238
Stun: 430

Jump straight up hk -> cr. Mp xx SK
Damage: 260, 268, 284
Stun: 420

FA Combos:

FA2 -> Dash Forward -> Ultra
Damage: 468
Stun: 150

FA2 -> Dash Forward -> cl. Hp -> cr. Lk xx SK
Damage: 260, 265, hk SK will not combo
Stun: 435

FA2 -> Dash Forward -> cl. Hp xx SK
Damage: 256, 263, 277
Stun: 415
Doing this combo after FA2 is the highest damage you can do with only using specials. Notice that using this version deals more than the cl. HP linked into cr. Lk xx SK (which is somewhat difficult to do)

FA2 -> Dash Forward -> cl. Hp xx PC
Damage: 263, 270, 277
Higher Stun version of best FA2 Combo with only specials.

FA2 -> Dash Forward -> throw
Damage: 194
Stun: 254, 270 (Death Tower)

FA2 -> Dash Forward -> close s.jab s.short c.forward xx scissors
Damage: 197 (First SK hit will miss) 232, 242
Stun: 360

Counter-hit Combos:

CH s.strong s.forward
Damage: 183
Stun: 225

CH c.forward c.short xx scissors
Damage: 188
Stun: 295

CH s.forward s.short xx scissors
Damage: ? (Unable to get it to combo)
Stun: ? (Unable to get it combo)

CH c.strong c.strong xx scissors
Damage: 268
Stun: 345

Pressure/Block Strings & Setups:

• When the opponent is in the corner, you can go for crossup mk, then throw him back into the corner and you?ll essentially be where you first started. Dictator isn?t the only character that has this ?tool? AKA Ghetto Throw Loop/Mixup, mainly because of how corners work in SF4. If you jump into a corner, you?ll always be in the corner, regardless of left or right side.

That said, I believe Dic has many mixup options due to his moves, such as:

• Mixing DR (whiff, then throw back into the corner)

• Headstomp/EX, go for Skull Dive or not, etc

• Crossing up with mk then throwing, or landing then going for x amount of ticks, then throwing back into the corner.

• Crossing up with hp (tick throw timing is different than crossup mk, can potentially throw off tech throw attempts)

• Use Focus Attack, while they?re waking up, then backwards dash cancel to bait a reversal, punish with SK, and get them back in the corner etc.

• Use EX PC Corner Crossup(?)

• And others I?m sure you can think of?

• A fairly high pressure block string that involves the use of FADC is chaining cr. lk numerous times and canceling into SK (no HK SK), and FADCing the first hit of the SK, dashing forwards and continuing the cr. lks. You can mix up from here by putting in throw attempts, or pausing the string and baiting a move (especially reversals).

• Will add block strings that involve mixing Headstomp (HS) and Devil Reverse (DR) later

EX PC Corner Crossup

When the opponent is in the corner waking up and you are right next to them, you have the opportunity to go for a EX PC Crossup ala ST style! Playing quite a bit of ST with people like Cigarbob and Giga-MSX, showed me how much stuff they thought of beforehand and planned setups to ultimately win (especially Giga-MSX, AKA Zazza)

I decided to use this concept for SF4 and here?s my findings so far. Hopefully you guys can contribute as well. Share the knowledge!

While this setup is nowhere near as good or as blazing fast as the ST version, I believe it could possibly have some potential. Basically, after knocking down an opponent in the corner, you have a chance to use EX PC to get into the corner and messing up the opponent?s block direction. By getting into the corner, you can land high damage combos and some of the following setups are the closest I can get to a ST style Touch of Death combo.

The ultimate goal of this setup is to get that dizzy, so we can (more or less) seal the win.

This unfortunately, also relies on the opponent to make numerous mistakes (at the very least 2) in a row, especially if you want to get them to dizzy (unlike ST, where you literally make 1 mistake and give a competent Dictator a clean hit, you?ve likely lost the round)

Obviously this is a pretty risky tactic for Dictator in SF4 as it?s honestly not THAT fast, but I?ve found some success in getting some more damage when it really counts.

• Opponent in the corner, j. hp -> cl. Hp xx SK -> EX PC to cross up -> cr. lp -> st. lp -> cr. mk xx SK (HK version)
    Total Damage: 334 + 207 = 541
    Total Stun: 805
    Please note you can exchange the SK for EX PC, which will deal more damage and stun, but is difficult to continue pressure because you?re so far away. That said, if you combo the EX PC and some how land a Death Tower on them (Dictator?s back+throw, which actually deals more stun than his forward+throw), you got a dizzy on characters that have 1000 Stun. Unfortunately this doesn?t not include Zangief or Sagat (arguably the most important characters to land this setup on) who have higher stun meters, but for most of the cast, you got the dizzy (Free Ultra!)

Also, this setup may be character dependant. I?ve done all my testing on Ryu in Training mode but I tried it on Sagat and because his hitbox is naturally a bit further away (while neutral stand) when he wakes up, I can?t land the BnB combo after the EX PC crossup. I think I?m too far away.

I?ve also tried looking for other combos to increase stun, but it looks like the formula is to land the target jump in combo, EX PC to cross up, then do another as-high-as-possible stun combo, then do a Death Tower (back+throw) as it deals 150 stun (most throws only do 130)

• Opponent in the corner, j. hp -> cl. Hp xx SK -> EX PC to cross up -> st. lk -> st. lk -> st. hk.
    Total Damage: 334 + 156 = 490
    Total Stun: 780
    This was my prototype combo because in ST, if you land st. lk x3 -> st. hk, it was crazy damage and stun. In SF4 it?s okay, but the above combo seems better.

• Opponent in the corner, j. hp -> cl. Hp xx SK -> EX PC to cross up -> throw back into corner, start Dictator Ghetto Throw mixup.
    Total Damage: 334 + 130 = 464
    Total Stun: 670
    This also has potential I believe, as you basically get mixup opportunity, when the opponent is basically 2/3 the way to Stunsville.

Tricks, Gimmicks & Other Notes: (Work in Progress, these are mostly notes for now, I?ll clean up later, gimmick quality will vary, YMMV)

-If you put tick-throw into your game, you can mix it up by whiffing a tick while they are waking up, then EX Headstomp. This will mess up counter throw attempts and will do nice chip even if you guess wrong. Perhaps this is a good finisher(?)
-Devil Reverse, EX on the hand down, Frame Advantage? Throw? Block String?
-After landing Ultra, slide immediately to get auto-meaty slide, most opponents will go for throw, so EX Headstomp
-Whiff slide in their face while they are waking up, EX headstomp or Ultra.
-At jump-in range, go for FA, if they take the bait and jump in at you, dash forward underneath them and throw. (may not work)
-After block lk SK, go for EX SK, some people will try to punish
-Focus attack out of their attack range (as Dictator?s hit box moves), dash cancel, throw (use during footsies)
-Devil Reverse, do nothing, as soon as you land, Ultra
-Devil Reverse, do the hand, retreat back, if they throw fireball, EX SK. Depends on range and relative locations of characters. Probably best if he has you near the corner.
-After zoning with st. mk/hk, walk back a little and go for slide (use against non fireball characters) (Find more ways to use slide in footsies?)

• EX PC from full range if blocked, allows you to continue a block string
  • If you land j. mp x2 while jumping forwards or backwards, you can land EX PC if you really need the extra damage. It?s surprising that you can still land it, even if you jump backwards, because you?re pretty far away, but I?ve been using it in some casuals, so it works for sure.
    Same with Ultra, also hits even if you land j. mp x2 backwards (I?m pretty sure it happened in casuals, but I may have been jumping back into the corner, need to test this)
  • Land a clean Cr. HP on an opponent jumping in (no trade), FADC forwards in under them, and cross them up from there.
  • After connecting with SK, you can time an EX PC to crossup an opponent if they quick stand. Timing is fairly strict as most of my attempts against my friend have been blocked from the front, but it is totally possible. I’m not sure if you can get reversal dragon punched by it though (because the PC hitbox is big, because Dic is stretched out horizontally)

I demand money for the use of the term PSYCHO SCIENCE.

Also, Ultra has plenty of invulnerability.

UNDER MAJOR CONSTRUCTION
Please contribute by posting in this thread or feel free sending me PMs, I’ll reply ASAP and add your contributions.

Despite writing this Guide to Dictator, I do not own a console. I only borrowed my friend’s 360 for a couple of days and was hard at work figuring as much stuff out as I could. Some of the things I want to test I cannot test now, but I’ll definitely do it when I have some more time. That said, I am adding an Matchup-specific Guaranteed Ultra Section. It’s hard to land a j. mp on a competent opponent, I think we should find more ways than using FA2/3 to make a comeback. That said, another thing limiting the Ultra is the charge. If you don’t have the charge, then you can’t do it. Please keep in mind many of the Guaranteed Ultras are assuming you have charge ready.

Everything here will be stuff taken off the board, my experience in SF4 tournaments (Taiwan community has some pretty good Sagats), and of course, you guys. Hope to see more input from everybody! Thanks

General Strategy

Matchup Knowledge:

VS Ryu

• again cr. HK punish methods. I have relatively high success if I get reversal MK Scissors but sometimes they get hit even without reversal (were they not blocking? or depends if the HK was meaty?) (Question from Ryu-bi)
    The recovery on the Cr. Hk is 14 frames on block, using Mk SK to reversal gives you +1 (because startup on Mk SK is 13), so assuming the range is correct (and you’re able to hit quickly), it should be a tight punish. If you’re off by a few frames, you’ll probably be punished for it. If Cr. Hk is deep, you can Ultra for free, someone who does Cr. Hk meaty is pretty safe though (except from Lk Super) (Need to Test)

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked SRK
Blocked EX SRK
Blocked cr. Hk (Deep, I believe you have 2 frames to do it)
Jumped Ultra
Blocked Ultra (close)

Test Hurricane, EX Hurricane

Videos:
[media=youtube]m8EGxWHhhrI&feature=channel_page[/media] (VS Ryu)
[media=youtube]yr405_ShXC8&feature=channel_page[/media] (VS Ryu)

VS Ken

Kara-grab is incredibly dangerous, after some basic blocked poke strings and he can a get a throw off at pretty far distances, be mentally prepared for this.

Depending on the range, if you block f+mk (the poking kick), you get frame advantage of 5, which means you can do a cr. lk xx mk SK for free. The Range is crucial part, if he’s too far, it may not be wise to go for the cr. lk.

• Enough time to FA3 after he leaves the ground on a blocked ultra? Test

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked SRK (All, even EX)
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra
(Test Hurricanes)

VS Chun Li

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked EX Spinning Bird? (Test)
Blocked Ultra

VS Honda

You can punish his mp and hp headbutts with mk SK. His other headbutts (Lp and EX) are not punishable, unless you use Lk version of Super, but even then I’m not sure if the range is enough. Ultra in Theory will begin to hit before hp headbutt recovers, but I’m not sure if the range is enough to punish. (Need to test)

• Possible to FA regular butt splash on the way down? Maybe even up to FA2 -> Combo? Test

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked Mp or HP Headbutt (Test)
Blocked Ultra (Test)

VS Blanka

-Things to punish a ultra if I cant block and take the chip damage. Jump back? Teleport? EX devil? (Test)

30% trade with electricity with head stomp/exstomp, 70% lose

DR will not hit, EX won?t either, too low

PC too inconsistent to recommend as a counter, sometimes, sometimes not. EX too

Standing kicks also inconsistent

All standing moves lose to elec, st. jab/short have less range than electricity’s hit box. St. mp and hp miss entirely, so does st. rh, medium sometimes trade

SK is very range dependant. Hit with the tips of SK, okay, but if it?s too deep, you?ll lose. If you use a heavy version of SK too close as well, also loses. It?s important to keep in mind when the 2 feet actually land.

All crouching kicks hit clean for free unless you?re too close

All jumping attacks are inconsistent, sometimes hit cleanly, sometimes trade, but like 90% electricity wins outright. This basically means no crossing up Blanka.

EX electricity is incredibly powerful, as far as I know, nothing can beat it, besides trading with 1 hit of EX SK, EX PC loses, unless you do it real close. Only super and ultra beat it

FA will beat it at certain ranges, too far and too close will lose.

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked Blanka Ball (Test)
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra

Videos:
[media=youtube]eQxZ3ejv_Ng&feature=channel_page[/media] (VS Blanka)

VS Zangief
Range: Keep away.
Notables: Zone with st. mk and hk, primarily use lk SK version for block, Devil Reverse to keep away and mix up with Headstomp. Don?t get too greedy with hitting the Skull diver after the headstomp, even if you EX Skull Dive, EX Green Hand beats it clean if timed right, and then you are in a world of trouble.

St. hk to beat out lariat (get the spacing and timing right), when he?s about to finish the lariat.

St. hp also beats it out VERY CLEAN at the fist level (not too close, have it so that his purple energy will hit with Zangief’s spinning fist, it’s a very safe clean hit)

If the Lariat is spinning near your face St. lk (the knee) beats the Lariat OUTRIGHT. Make sure the Lariat is not too close to your face, otherwise you’ll trade poorly (not in your favor). But other than that, feel free to stick this out as sort of a wall.

When Z is about to finish lariat (last rotations), you can also go for SK, get the timing and spacing down right, and you?ll be able to punish more effectively

Lariat will trade with st. rh (during the lariat), flatout beat st. mk, lariats on wakeup will trade with headstomp. Lariat beats slide, cr. Mk and lk can?t reach. Beats SK for the most part.

St. lk and st. hp are the tools to use.

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
During Lariat (? Test)

Videos:
[media=youtube]vbrG99ycdJE&feature=channel_page[/media] (VS Zangief)

VS Guile

his Crouch hp, beats Devil Reverse hand clean

-cr. HK punish methods. Do I block both of them or must punish in between? Sometimes I’m not charged so I want strats for long combo that buys time or normal hits. (Test)

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked Flash Kick (All)
Blocked Super
Blocked Ultra
In-between cr. Hk hits? (Test)

Videos:
[media=youtube]hbD0X3mElaM&feature=channel_page[/media] (VS Guile)

VS Dhalsim

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked Mummy (Deep)
Blocked Drill (Deep)
Getting Hit by j. Hp as Overhead (Test)

VS Balrog (Boxer)

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

VS Vega (Claw)

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

VS Sagat

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

Videos:
[media=youtube]n7HDFsF5tEQ[/media]
[media=youtube]nY6pEPbP0TQ[/media]
[media=youtube]81RiT_FZ72Y[/media]

VS Bison (Dictator)

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

VS Abel

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked Ultra

Videos:
[media=youtube]fNpxNLlU3YE[/media]

VS C. Viper

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:
Blocked Ultra

VS. Rufus

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

Videos:
[media=youtube]BGmgS-BQ7B4[/media]

VS. El Fuerte

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

VS. Akuma

Guaranteed Ultra Setups:

Question & Answer:

Q: How much less damage if I just stand there and wait for FA2 to recover and Ultra instead of risking a messed up charge partition? (Ryu-Bi)
A: (Need to Test)

Credits:
Zato0918 (For lending me the X360 and letting me do all this testing)
Taiwan SF Community for the Beatdowns I’ve given and received
ohayo1234
Aizen
kaworu_scott
DS
Sanchez
Inverse
ReLyT
Ono-Sendai
ryu-bi
and others

Big ups to you all, thank you very much. Share the knowledge!

Grade A posting. Would absolutely rep if I could.

Good shit good shit…I love this thread…

Did somebody say, Psycho Science? :china:

hi, about the combo- FA2, Dash Forward, cl. Hp, cr. Lk xx SK
Damage: 260, 265, hk SK will not combo
Stun: 435
Are you sure that c hp can link to cr lk ?

Great info. Big up. Looking forward to trying this EX PC ish.

Bless

noice collection of data man.

The damage and stun coefficients are much appreciated :slight_smile:

good shit dude. Great post. Somebody needs to sticky this.

finally, bison thread is looking to become something more win.

i’d rep if i would

bison’s ultra’s invincibility is crazy lol. his first flip before his foot lands is basically all invincible. I’ve passed through enough hado (metsu/shinku) to know. AFAIK it doesnt beat blanka and sagat on startup, but everyone else i had positive results.

you should add the follow combos, its not only for show.

Skull Diver, c.lk x2, MK scissors. (or Skull Diver, c.lp, st.lp, st.lk, c.mk xx HK SK)
EX Skull Diver, c.mp/mk, HK scissors.

takes a little charge buffering to do, but the damage is pretty sweet. (Keep in mind the skull divers have to be as close to the ground as possible, giving you the most frame adv possible to connect the rest.)

Yes, it’s difficult, but possible. More importantly, because the cr. lk can only cancel to Lk and Mk SK, just the regular:

FA2, Dash Forward, cl. hp xx to HK SK deals more damage.

That said, linking the cl. Hp to cr. lk combo deals slightly more stun.

Great post; repped. =)

get this a sticky ASAP…and good job!!!:tup:

I think his highest damage FA2 attack is FA --> dash --> cr.mp, cr.mk xx SK. Damage is around 320 something?

Excellent series of post! Gotta try out your EX PC cross up combos. I never even considered doing that.

Edit: btw since I haven’t been here so long; how do I go about requesting stickies because honestly… this should be!

i have some info for some bison strategies… after you knock down the opponent in the corner…instead of the ex psycho as a crossup… if you knockdown with a scissor and wait a second and the opponent doesn’t safe fall…if you do another short scissor… you’ll crossup.

i did this other day in a casual and i was like… hmmm that was kinda sexy. but i wasn’t sure if it was punishable because i didn’t know how fast the opponent got up and if you were still in recovery from the whiffed scissor. but i tried it out yesterday and you’re fine…in fact you’ve got plenty of time to build charge if you didn’t already.

the opponent gets up way after you cross them up.

this could apply some headstomp mindgames… like knockdown with scissor into the corner… crossup with scissor(like a body hop)… do the scissor as downback…downforward…short… to hold down charge… then ex stomp as they wake up. i’d assume it’d mess them up quite a bit as it seems disorienting… because they’d have to block the other way as well as block high. might be useful… i’ll test it out later.

4AM thought I wasnt going to play but after reading it would be a disgrace not to play ATM. Good shit.