Project Magenta 2017

They can be rotated via software

Any update regarding release in this month? And will I have to worry about it being a limited run? I keep saying im done with sticks but excited to try this lol.

They are shooting for pre-orders in October. Not sure what the long term production status will be. I would assume with all the hype it will stay around for a while, after all there is still a market for the Cherry MX button inserts which I always thought was a very niche thing. If this all goes well, Project Magenta may finally get other stick manufacturers to move out of the 90’s and into the 21st century like the rest of the tech world.

WTF are you talking about? Why does everything “21st century” have to be non-mechanical?

Cherry MX switches populate the VAST majority of gaming keyboards being made…even while I type this. Even modern competitor switches (like Logitech’s Romer-G) are mechanical in design. Only new and niche keyboards utilize switches that are optical in nature (like Bloody and Tesoro), and they’ve yet to prove themselves long enough in both the general market and esports to remain relevant.

Also, have you looked at the MTBF figures between Cherry MX switches and Sanwa or Seimitsu switches? They beat them both by approximately 25x.

Project Magenta is awesome, and I hope it takes off in the FGC like a rocket. It’s also cool that you’re excited for it, but that doesn’t mean you need to dump on tried-and-true stuff in the process.

-----TL;DR-----
P.S. Does everyone here realize that a dude calling himself “buttmuffin” just replied to another dude who calls himself “cacaking?”

P.P.S. why is it “buttmuffin2539?” Was “buttmuffin” already taken?!

Pro-MX Cherry Mechanical Switch rant.

[details=Spoiler]I type with a Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard with MX Cherry Red /with Clear housings.

I got somewhere a Leopold brand MX CHerry Red Keyboard, a Korean made keyboard with Point of Sales Cherry Double Shot keycaps for most of the keys.
Few modifier keys are aftermarket Double shot ABS done in the style of the Cherry Keys.

I used to own a Deck legends keyboard with MX Cherry Blacks

My parents use a Roswill MX Cherry Black keyboard with Point of Sales Cherry Double Shot keycaps
They don’t want to switch back to another keyboard now as typing is much more enjoyable on mechanical keys

People are almost fighting over the original old IBM Model M mechanical keyboards

Mechanical switch keys on Keyboards are dominating the market. [/details]

Can’t wait for Project Magenta

Not saying Sanwa or Seimistu, I’m just saying that joysticks have been needing something like Project Magenta. Mechanical switches will always be around because you can’t be the feeling of that satisfying click, but you cannot accomplish the programming and re-programming in such a way as Project Magenta with mechanical switches.

And next step - simulate clicks via little sound system in stick. With adjustable volume control of course :slight_smile:

Or just leave the tpma in the stick as well…

Keep in mind I use non tactile switched on my keyboard. No satisfying click other than the key caps bottoming out.

As someone that switched to an optical stick about a year ago I can honestly say you won’t miss the clicks.

Seconded. My concern was that I would want to hear the clicks too, but when I played with it at Evo, I didn’t even notice or miss them. They were in no way my guide for finding my directions, and honestly I’m fine without switches now.

I’m going to be buying this before I even buy a new stick to put it in. Back in the day I had a MAS with a Perfect 360 and I always preferred the smoothness that an optical provided. When I heard about this I nearly fell out of my chair. I can get that same feeling AND have the fine tuning, customization options, profiles, and update capability?

And this too*?!?!?* I’ve always wanted to visually see how I was screwing up stick inputs so I could try and correct them and do them right.

Shut up and take my money.

@butteroj

Do you think Project Magenta can fit into the Tek-Case Mini? I know you’re very familiar with that case so I was wondering if you knew.

I want to say yes, but will confirm tomorrow

You’re the man! Appreciate it.

@armi0024 so stoked about this project. Any further news regarding a release date to the public, perhaps a small number of pre orders, available to the loyal PAS customers?
@butteroj it looks awesome in your Captain America project !

Seriously, can’t wait for this to drop. Definitely will look to pre-order.

Any update on the ETA?

Hopefully pre orders will still be happening this month, haven’t seen much news though.

I take the silence to mean Bryan is working diligently on it. It’s his pièce de résistance.