PowerUp Podcast: Midwest FGC and Beyond

The PowerUp Podcast is currently on indefinite hiatus.

All episodes of the PowerUp Podcast will still be hosted on the PowerUp website.

Listen to archived episodes at the PowerUp Podcast Season Summary page.

But PowerUp is not going anywhere!

Anyone who feels they would like to voice their opinion on topics relevant to the fighting game community need only contact me here on SRK or via email: nathan"dot"shields"at"powerupfighters"dot" org. Chances are we can set up an interview.

Also, this thread will no longer be updated with PowerUp news or events. All of that information will be found on the website, and also on the PowerUp Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Stay cool, SRK : )

:tup: I approve.

Actionhank tested, Actionhank approved. Thanks!

I’m looking forward to the next podacst(s)

Movin’ on up!

Ghaleon/Fugee was a great Season’s Beatings history lesson. I enjoyed that podcast a lot, but it won’t be out til one month before SB4. Hopefully I’ll drum up enough interest to get podcasts out weekly. The more awesome episodes I have, the easier it is to save specific ones to be released at certain times.

This is a pretty neat idea, just the other day I was looking for tournaments in the Midwest and although it wasn’t a huge hassle, it certainly wasn’t as streamlined as it could have been.

But the “who’s who” is really nice, it’s easy enough to keep track of everyone you see regularly, but it is nice to look up people you don’t recognize right off the bat from other cities.

Hit me up, I am the eyes and ears of the illinois/wisconsin scene. Not so much the voice though lol

I did something like this 2 years ago, but it didn’t get much support, but yours looks like it should garner a lot, especially if you have top players in the Midwest backing you. I have some things that I would like to say that I think everyone in the Midwest should hear, as long as I’m invited to the radio show, of course.

I hope this succeeds.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=137475

Here is the previous thread that I was talking about. It is somewhat old and dated, but gives a look of things that I hoped would come about.

Osirun - thanks for having me already and as promised from the podcast I will be bringing friends and visiting an Arcade Legends tournament. Looking forward to meeting you this Saturday! :smile:

Tarkan - hey I will be on the lookout for you on Xbox Live so we can play HDR or SF4, whichever you play. Sadly I’m not nearly as good at SF4 but it’s all good. :tup:

Nice, The MW has some fantastic players. I am all down with this MW 4 Life.

It’d be great to have you on the podcast. I appreciate what you tried to do those couple years back. As I read the thread I believe the only thing that hampered your progress was the idea of ranking the players. That’s one area where I’m hands off. Let the tournaments and other events decide, in my opinion, and I’ll try to get people to travel out to them.

I also found this post in that thread encouraging:

More or less, that’s pretty much what PowerUp is.

Anyway, I’ll drop you a pm soon, or vice versa, and we can start working out a date and time for the podcast. I hope that all of my guests return for many more podcasts, so don’t worry about trying to get everything covered in one sitting.

@Vega: It was great to have you! Hopefully we can podcast again in the future. It’ll be awesome to meet you at AL, I’m looking forward to it.

@Rakae: Lovin’ it, thanks for the support! Would you be interested in doing a podcast? The more episodes the better.

I’m relatively new to the scene but i’m interested in helping out with running tournaments and generally improving the community.

I will also be recording footage at every tournament i’ll be able to go to.

Glad to see you’re getting some hits, Nathan. Doing the podcasts are a lot of fun – I don’t think you’ll have a problem keeping them interesting and finding candidates :wink:

Lotta active players in the midwest, that’s for sure

great idea this is… we need something like this badly… i hate how the midwest (and every other are aside from the coasts) is left out of major happenings… but it looks as tho there is an end to that near with this little number… if you ever need filler or anything feel free to exploit me… im %100 serious about my competitive gaming, i plan on becoming as skilled as possible and going pro, and i’m attending evo in just 3 weeks… so yea

The comp is just much higher on the coasts – Midwest only has a couple people that place highly or are a threat to win in their respective games at majors (GG is exceptionally high-level in MW though).

I think for the Midwest to grow more top players, people need to ask why that is (as Nathan asked me), and more closely examine what the coasts are doing in terms of skill instead of assuming MW is getting little credit unjustly.

From my personal experience, I can say that when I started getting OK at 3rd Strike I thought I could beat almost anyone. I went to Final Round 8 w/ Fugee + friends trying to make some waves in 3s – I beat some really good people in casuals, got to play (and lose) to top names and got 5th in the tourney by virtue of not really having to play anybody crazy good.

At that time I just played, I didn’t see the gap between myself and top players, for ex the NE crew, who were REALLY good but I was getting wins off of because my play style was really raw. Fugee, Tim and I would have arguments about skill vs. experience, things like that.

The more I got into 3s and the more I traveled I realized how bad I sucked at 3s on the overall.

IMO Becoming a top player requires

A: Drive
B: Confidence
C: Knowledge
D: Experience
E: The high-level ability to tell what makes top players successful, and knowing what they’re doing that you’re not.

Just my two cents on how people get to the highest level. Those points can sound like they’re at odds with each other, but when you become a high-level player they actually work in tandem and reinforce each other.

And TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL

I think you just provided an outline for another podcast Ghaleon! The detail that one could go into on those topics is immense.

I’d be down. I have some other ideas on who you can get to talk about stuff like that too. I’ll let you know

When will your next podcast be and at what time? I want to write down a list of things I want to discuss about ahead of time.

Brent: Hey, man. Sucks that you couldn’t make it to MWC. Right now, I’m staying away from HDR and SF4 on live (although I’ll definitely play those games), since I don’t have a stick for the X360. I hate playing on pad and it has frustrated me, knowing that I could do much more… I’m just waiting for the TE stick to show up in stock. For the time being, I’ll be playing ST on GGPO or 2DF.

Osirun: I can understand what you mean by rankings, again, these were ideas that I had that I thought would encourage competition and getting better, but this doesn’t seem like a popular idea, so I don’t talk about it much anymore.

I release the podcasts every two weeks, and the next release is tomorrow. I usually upload and get everything onto the site around 10am. I record whenever I have free time. It just depends on when my schedule and the guest’s mesh together.

I make up a general outline for the conversation, but I’m always open to ideas and topics from the guests.