PowerUp Podcast: Midwest FGC and Beyond

cool stuff

Nathan and I did another podcast, with NKI. It should turn out pretty awesome. He gave out some great advice on what makes a top player + high-level fighting games, and also some great ST-specific tactics.

Nathan, did you still plan on posting the Season’s Beatings podcast a week or two after Evo? Is the one with Brent (Vega) the next one slated to go up? That one was a lot of fun too.

Also, even if you don’t play Smash, the SSBB podcast Nathan did with the Cincy Brawl cool is pretty sweet. Informative and gives you a good view of what’s going on in that other fighting scene :wink:

Yeah, I don’t think we need rankings since the Midwest is too large to do any kind of ranbat/ladder thing. Tournament placing + word of mouth are really all the rankings we need, esp when overall it’s the top players nationally we should all measure ourselves against, most of whom are not from our respective regions.

It’d be great to hear what the SF4 Midwest team’s thoughts are before Evo seeing as how most of them have never been on the big screen at Vegas. Or a post Evo interview would be good too.

Nathan btw, I would take out some of the non-MW states in your tourney listings. That’s a looong list man and I don’t think you need EC (NY, VA, etc.) represented on there. Plus less work for you, since that must take a long time to keep that updated for all the communities

btw if you wanted to start collecting the player profiles, I can write one up. Maybe you haven’t gotten many from say the Dayton crew because people aren’t sure of the format? Cos I really like the idea of having that database for the MW.

damn, when i did my pod cast, it was about how to survive in the wild by identifying different types of fruits, nuts, and fungus

Spores, molds & fungus > fruit

That’s a great idea. You definitely have my approval :china:.

Sup Egon.

There are a bunch of interviews done for players in the Cincinnati/Dayton area done by Phil(Dr4go on SRK) and put on his Cincy Tekken myspace page. If you send him a PM I’m sure he’d let you use some of them for your website if you credit him for them or something.

good stuff:china:

Who the best? the midwest!

This is exactly what we need! Do you have any plans for tournament coverage? I’d love to help if I’m at a tourney. It will give me something to do when I go two and out.

I just sent my email with info for the Midwest Roundup.

I’m really liking the idea behind the site.

Maybe it would be cool to add a couple of youtube vids at the bottom of each player’s page showing off some of their matches.

I’ve actually been given the idea by a friend to go to a slew of Midwest tournies and put together a documentary. We’ll see where the idea goes, but I’m hopeful!

Your assistance would be appreciated, and first it’s a matter of determining the format of the documentary.

That’s something that I’ve always offered to the players, as long as they provide me with the links to their YouTube videos I’d love to embed them in their biography pages. Or, using my biography page for example, simply provide a text link to their YouTube channel.

I request a sticky.

Osirun, I think that the Midwest Roundup should just be one long list. People can Ctrl+F if they want to find someone. It’s a little clunky now, especially with only 3 or 4 names under each section.

haha i like how that thread degenerated into “whos the best at 3s” and then died off

this site seems like its more focussed on smash then anything else? maybe im just missing the point but it seems like there are good intentions here

stickied for now

This is a cool idea, glad it got stickied or id never see it lol. Woah since when is smash brothers a fighting game lol. Too many smash players on it…and they smell.

Can we please not have the smash talk in this thread?

I’m sure there is one or two “smash sucks” threads in FGD if you really need to talk about it.

ya try and not destroy this thread like the way of the last one lol

Before you decide to read or not to read my huge wall of text below, please take a look at the OP, which has a little update at the bottom showing some upcoming podcasts!

Yep, you and Brent are going up this Friday, the 10th. The SB podcast is currently being saved for Sept. 18th, approximately a month from SB. That still cool?

Point taken about the Tourney Listing. It would be a lot less work, and the focus should be on the Midwest. At the time I wanted to get stuff close to Ohio, but as the content of the site has grown into the original scope I intended, I think you’re right that taking out those other states would be beneficial.

Yes! Please write one up, that’d be excellent! You can find the questionnaire right here

All the instructions about the picture, match vids, etcetera are right there.

I was thinking of the future when I split up the lists, when name upon name would grace the Roundup. But point taken. I think I’d have to put a little Ctrl+F disclaimer at the top of the page so people don’t complain about just having a long list.

Having one long list would also be A LOT easier to maintain. I could also very easily group players by state, just like on the Tournament Listing page.

I’d probably just have the whole thing organized by Nickname/Handle, and leave the real names to the actual bio pages. Most people know each other by nickname anyway, so it’d work out in most instances.

A most excellent suggestion, and I’ll have to get that done soon.

The Midwest Roundup has mostly Smash players right now because they were the first group of people I got to fill out the questionnaire. As stated on the About page of the site, I’m for all fighting games as long as they have a lively, thriving competitive community. I’m attending the SFIV, 3S ranbat and BB after-tourney this Saturday at Arcade Legends, and I’ll be trying to get as many players as possible to fill out the questionnaire, so expect many more biographies that aren’t Smash oriented.

Many of the podcasts have been focused on Capcom games, and I recently recorded one with Syxx talking about Tekken. Only two podcasts have been done on Smash, so it’s all in pretty good balance for now.

Btw, thank you so much for the sticky!

Thanks for the compliment. I’m also glad it got stickied.

Now now, no Smash bashing here please.

Many more Capcom-only and other players will be added once this weekend rolls around for the SFIV / 3S ranbats. In the meantime, would you like to be in the Roundup? The questionnaire is right there on the site and I’d appreciate you taking part.

And I’d say it’s about 50/50 with Smash player smell, at least for the ones I’ve met. Some have a little tang about them, but others are fairly fresh.