Plinking / Tsuji-Style: KARA BUFFER Inputs for Easier Links and More!

its up to kirby to name this, he found it and brought it to us.

piano link is *sort of *descriptive enough, but it doesnt state why the link works only how to do it. also piano could be ANY buttons pressed in a rhythmic manner, that wont necessarily result in a proper link as kirbys find is accomplished tho.

priority link however states exactly whats happening when you use kirbys method:

your using the systems input PRIORITY for buttons to get out an easy double tap hence making 1 and 2 frame links alot easier.

also this is not as easy to use as i first thought:

when using p-links with ryu as an example:

cr.lk, cr.lp, (p-link) cr.mp~lp theres a VERY good chance that you’ll get a cr.lp, if you input the p-link to early… the reason why is obviously that the chain timing from the first 2 inputs wasnt over when the p-link was done, so like any other link combo the mp gets eaten by move recovery and the cr.lp comes out cause it was timed so that the game was still accepting chain timing for a weak attack.

still this makes many links i tried it with MUCH easier. for instance abels F+MK xx dash> st.fp is WAY freakin easier using priority link (st.fp~mp)

try it out!

-dime

Why would you need hk on the SSG? Works fine without it.

I have no idea what to call it either - in fact the description in my first post seems to be quite confusing for a number of folks, due to my lack of experience in dealing with and explaining fighting game jargon.

But I guess priority link sounds pretty apt. P-link sounds catchy. :bgrin:

This way you can go from Akuma’s walking animation to his Ultra animation without anything in between. No whiffed jabs, no forward+MP, just straight from walking to ultra.

It’s not practical, but it sure as hell looks cool.

I don’t get why you’ve used hk here really. From my own testing, the quickest way i could get the demon out using this ‘kara lniking’ was lp-hp, lk-hp + back. He jabs once then demons very fast. How would you do a ‘forward’ demon per se? To clarify why doesnt the hk animation coem out using your method? Excuse my ignorance im not really an akuma player.

If you kara cancel LP~(LP+)HP, what happens is Akuma will throw out his s.LP, which happens to have a 3-frame start-up.

You need at least three frames to perform the demon. So if you do it this way, Akuma will go from walking animation, to s.LP, to Ultra.

The solution to this is to start with forward+LP+MP instead.

If you use LP+MP as your first command, then the only buttons left to kara cancel with are HP and HK. If you try and kara with LK, Akuma does a whiffed throw. If MK, focus attack.

I wouldn’t use HP to kara cancel simply because this means you’d have to double tap the HP button, which is slow. And even if you have HP assigned to two separate buttons which you tap quickly, it’s still slow - once you’ve input HP, unless you kara it, there is a brief cooldown before you can press HP again.

So HK it is.

Edit: The HK doesn’t come out because your very first input was forward+LP+MP, which Akuma executes as forward+MP. Since Akuma is already committed to that move, when you kara with the HK, it doesn’t execute.

I think there is something I don’t quite grasp about this concept… I’ve being trying to execute Guile’s c.lp > c.mp using this technique and it isn’t working for me.
What I’m doing is a little akin to some of the frame cancel moves in Soul Calibur, like Mitsurugi’s kB.
So I’ve tried pressing both buttons alsmost simultaneously, pressing c.mp slightly sooner, pressing and holding c.lp and releasing it at the time of the link together with c.mp and such… but I’m really not getting anything here.

I feel like I have a case of the dumb… maybe it’s because I’m on a fightpad?

Thanks for the info.
And yeah P-link sounds fly

Ah i see now thx kirby, so essentially your starting a standing mp which is kara’d into the demon so he doesnt actually throw the mp animation cause you do it so fast? Even if i cant strictly do it your way on a 360 controller the jab to demon is friggin fast, great work!

Nielsens it is hard on a controller because you’ve gotta try and spread your thumb over the two buttons, but it would go lp, mp-lp this last lp coming straight after the mp since it registers it as another mp in lp + mp.

Two other guile players have already mentioned this, but id like to verify that this technique does not seem to work with guiles bnb c.lp -> c.lp -> c.mp. In training mode the input display will read lp, lp, mp, lp+mp. So in theory i should be getting 2 chances to link mp, but for some reason lp+mp calls a jab. I find guiles link to be more consistent without this technique.

Edit: Nevermind… this technique DOES work, the jab was coming out because the slide was too early. this has improved my consistancy for sure. Hopefully ill be able to replace boom with flashkick in guiles bnb now :slight_smile:

My god if you only knew how much this is going to help my sakura.

I just stumbled upon this on my own while training last night. I was trying the piano technique, but I just thought it’d be easier to hit 2 buttons instead of all 3. Takes a while to get used to, but it works.

The thing is, I use Akuma and I usually use the LP srk, so I piano LP first, then MP. If I wanted HP, I’d piano HP~MP. But this whole issue of prioritizing the stronger attack of the 2 makes sense. I just thought I’d hit the strength I wanted first, then the strength next to it as backup for extra inputs.

For those that are still having trouble linking normals, I learned something epic from MuKen over at the Akuma forums.

The trick is to look at the arm/leg very closely. As soon as the limb pulls back, your window is open to press the next normal to link.

For example, using Akuma, try:
cr MP > cr MP
cr MP > HP
HK (2 hit) > cr LP

If you’re doing it right, it should register as a combo. Even if it doesn’t combo because you missed the input window, the next normal will still come out really fast.

kirby linking is my vote, you should be remembered for bringing this to the community.

cool i gotta try this

If I understand this correctly, I could do, with Gief:

c.jab > c.jab > c.jab, c.short~c.jab XX jab greenhand ?

I could even use negative edge on the jab for the greenhand.

ahaha… man you could’ve called them whatever you wanted… you had the power!

Now we’ll never have a SF technique named after breasts…

(I would’ve called them Titty-Links) :tup:

why dont we just name it appropriately instead of naming it after someone who didnt even discover it first. kara addition would be appropriate (addition of another input from nothing). or empty addition if we dont wanna suck on jap nuts. kara priority would also be fitting, priority link doesnt really indicate the fact that you can use it during a demon.

kara linking is a deceiving name because it has more than one use.

retarded. i “discovered” the balrog double ex kara (in the sense that i watched a japanese video and reverse engineered it) but i do not feel the need to name it something that its not.

so in theory we can get 3 button presses with hp mp lp?
just making sure I understand it correctly

good shit.

Priority link for me

very smart stuff
thanks for sharing
+rep pts

KIRBY didn’t really discover this technique or bring it to the site. It came up on the Akuma forum a few days ago after the vid, and some guys there translated and clarified the theory behind it first. KIRBY dicided to apply the idea to links and post it here so other characters could try it.

As for the vid, it should be recognised that it’s not an instant or walking Ultra or something like that, it’s just a really fast f+MP Kara, made fast by this technique. You’ll still see a jab without the f+MP there.

In all it cuts the input time for his Ultra over a normal double LP tap by about half.